Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 07:02:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 [287] 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][RIC] Riecoin: constellations POW *CPU* HARD FORK successful, world record  (Read 684947 times)
IGJ

Activity: 29
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 16, 2018, 04:45:32 PM
Merited by xandry (1)

Update 2018-08-16

Riecoin wallet on Raspberry Pi !

http://download.riecoin-community.com/community_builds/riecoin-0.10.2-community_rpi.tar.gz

Contains static and shared binaries for raspberry Pi. Shared binaries are for raspberian/debian 9 (current stable version), console and qt (graphical) version of the wallet. Static binaries, only console wallet, should work on any linux distribution for raspberry pi. If you plan to use static binaries, please test them well, before use in production, I am worried about few compiler warnings and cant guarantee everything will work properly.

For testing and developing, started two test nodes, and created dns record for them, so if you want to use testnet add these lines to your riecoin.conf

addnode=testnet.riecoin-community.com
testnet=1

If you have or plan to start a node in testnet for longer and want to be put in nodes list, please send me private message with your ip address.
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PttnMe

Activity: 113
Merit: 51

Riecoin developer

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2018, 10:09:45 AM

[...]
  For testing and developing, started two test nodes, and created dns record for them, so if you want to use testnet add these lines to your riecoin.conf

addnode=testnet.riecoin-community.com
testnet=1

If you have or plan to start a node in testnet for longer and want to be put in nodes list, please send me private message with your ip address.

Thank you IGJ (and everyone who supports the project).

Unfortunately, using your nodes, I am stuck at block 34 (36 weeks behind). Do I need to configure something else? Does anyone have more Testnet IPs?

Riecoin - Mine prime constellations, not hashes, not memes!
Stelo.xyz pool operator
IGJ

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 11:02:24 AM

Thank you IGJ (and everyone who supports the project).

Unfortunately, using your nodes, I am stuck at block 34 (36 weeks behind). Do I need to configure something else? Does anyone have more Testnet IPs?

Hello, PttnMe

Official testnet nodes, that are hardcoded into the latest stable version do not work since years. That list are my nodes I started before, and using them from time to time to testing builds or miner modification. It is not stuck, just there is only 34 blocks left on them from my tests.

I can sync main chain to testnet if you need it for your tests, but it will add a lot sync time. Anyway if you need exactly that let me know.

At all you don't need something else to configure in your wallet to enable testnet.

PttnMe

Riecoin developer

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2018, 12:16:46 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2018, 12:42:26 PM by PttnMe
Merited by IGJ (1)

[...] That list are my nodes I started before, and using them from time to time to testing builds or miner modification. It is not stuck, just there is only 34 blocks left on them from my tests. [...]

Oh Ok, this is fine in this case. I just expected that there would be much more blocks, and new ones found regularly, so I thought that something was wrong. Lol, I just mined hundreds of blocks at the rate of 1 block each 3 second or so, difficulty 304 is so low. In contrast, I was unable to mine anything using the wallet's built-in miner. I might leave one mining thread for the testnet network, so developers and testers can experience more realistic behavior when using it. A Testnet explorer would be welcome too. Thank you again for your nodes, and your reply.

If anyone is interested in, I merged the original gatra's miner (rminerd) and the latest dave-andersen's one (fastrie), so anyone can solo mine Riecoins using the optimized algorithm. Here is the rieMiner's GitHub repository.

I heavily simplified and modernized (making it more C++ish) the code. Indeed, the fastrie's code contains many parts of unused or outdated code. In another hand, I am not knowledgeable enough to improve the miner algorithm, so this miner is more a convenience improvement than a performance one.

Currently, you should be able to compile it easily on Linux and Windows. The miner works fine on my computer, and is currently mining blocks, but for some reason, its execution might fail in some computers. Moreover, only the old protocol Getwork is supported. I plan to work on it on September and later to add the GetBlockTemplate (and custom payout addresses) and Stratum (and pool mining as well) protocols support, a benchmark mode (dummy mining at constant difficulty), and fix remaining problems. The Testnet nodes will be very useful for me!

Stelo.xyz pool operator
IGJ

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 01:16:29 PM

Oh Ok, this is fine in this case. I just expected that there would be much more blocks, and new ones found regularly, so I thought that something was wrong. Lol, I just mined hundreds of blocks at the rate of 1 block each 3 second or so, difficulty 304 is so low. In contrast, I was unable to mine anything using the wallet's built-in miner. I might leave one mining thread for the testnet network, so developers and testers can experience more realistic behavior when using it. A Testnet explorer would be welcome too. Thank you again for your nodes, and your reply.

When you developing miner it will be better to have low difficulty, so checking if your algorithm is right will be faster, it is annoying to must wait hours or days just to check if block you found is correct Smiley

If anyone is interested in, I merged the original gatra's miner (rminerd) and the latest dave-andersen's one (fastrie), so anyone can solo mine Riecoins using the optimized algorithm. Here is the rieMiner's GitHub repository.

Cool, my plans are to build riecoin community site with a lot HOWTOs and information about riecoin so if you don't mind will include your miner. Your source code looks very clean and ordered, it is good to have as much as possible different and various software for riecoin, that will attract more people to the community.

Currently, you should be able to compile it easily on Linux and Windows. The miner works fine on my computer, and is currently mining blocks, but for some reason, its execution might fail in some computers. Moreover, only the old protocol Getwork is supported. I plan to work on it on September and later to add the GetBlockTemplate (and custom payout addresses) and Stratum (and pool mining as well) protocols support, a benchmark mode (dummy mining at constant difficulty), and fix remaining problems.

With what error execution fails ? You are using gmplib which is highly optimized for calculations, and big parts from it are in assembler. It gives big speedup but portability is lower, for example if you compile with gmplib optimized for i7 or xeon it will fail to run on P4. many modern compilers put by default optimizing flag -mtune=native which will auto detect CPU instructions set and will optimize for it, which can break portability too. Maybe to be portable one cpu miner you should use -march=pentium4 your code will run on any modern CPU , but you will lose speed.
jhdscript

Activity: 266
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2018, 01:48:48 PM

Hello i have some riecoin on polonie someone knows how i can move it or exchange them ?

PttnMe

Riecoin developer

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2018, 02:51:25 PM

When you developing miner it will be better to have low difficulty, so checking if your algorithm is right will be faster, it is annoying to must wait hours or days just to check if block you found is correct Smiley

The Testnet is more meant to look like the Mainnet network, where people (not just developers) can test Riecoin with "play tokens". Developers who are creating programs other than a miner would like to be able to send and receive coins too, with new blocks found regularly.

If I am not mistaken, there exist a "regression mode", more adapted to do such testing, with an own local network. Raw performance testing is preferably done by using some fixed data from a chosen block.

Cool, my plans are to build riecoin community site with a lot HOWTOs and information about riecoin so if you don't mind will include your miner. Your source code looks very clean and ordered, it is good to have as much as possible different and various software for riecoin, that will attract more people to the community.

No problem, and thank you for the feedback. I wish you all success with your website.

With what error execution fails ? You are using gmplib which is highly optimized for calculations, and big parts from it are in assembler. It gives big speedup but portability is lower, for example if you compile with gmplib optimized for i7 or xeon it will fail to run on P4. many modern compilers put by default optimizing flag -mtune=native which will auto detect CPU instructions set and will optimize for it, which can break portability too. Maybe to be portable one cpu miner you should use -march=pentium4 your code will run on any modern CPU , but you will lose speed.

The failure is a bad alloc, so I do not think that the problem is CPU related. Just for fun, I compiled it once on a Pentium 3 laptop, unfortunately it has this issue. But I encountered it in some recent computers as well. I suspect that for some reason, rieMiner needs much more memory to start, than it actually uses/needs. I will investigate this later in September. I likely just removed one line too much or so.

Stelo.xyz pool operator
cryptapus

Activity: 626
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2018, 02:55:05 PM

The Testnet is more meant to look like the Mainnet network, where people (not just developers) can test Riecoin with "play tokens". Developers who are creating programs other than a miner would like to be able to send and receive coins too, with new blocks found regularly.

If I am not mistaken, there exist a "regression mode", more adapted to do such testing, with an own local network. Raw performance testing is preferably done by using some fixed data from a chosen block.

No problem, and thank you for the feedback. I wish you all success with your website.

The failure is a bad alloc, so I do not think that the problem is CPU related. Just for fun, I compiled it once on a Pentium 3 laptop, unfortunately it has this issue. But I encountered it in some recent computers as well. I suspect that for some reason, rieMiner needs much more memory to start, than it actually uses/needs. I will investigate this later in September. I likely just removed one line too much or so.

AFAIK, regtest mode isn't available on the 0.9 codebase, at least not easily... so having an easy testnet will most likely help dev work. I would suggest throttling your miner (on a low power VM) to keep the difficulty manageable.

website | PGP fingerprint: 692C 0756 E57D 2FA1 7601 3729 010B 717F 231C E7AA | BTC Address: 1CrYPTB1o7QWc8hXqBMP2LtAJh1VMtTFBh
cryptapus

Activity: 626
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2018, 02:58:03 PM

AFAIK, regtest mode isn't available on the 0.9 codebase, at least not easily... so having an easy testnet will most likely help dev work. I would suggest throttling your miner (on a low power VM) to keep the difficulty manageable.

Correction, regtest is there. Still, it probably would be helpful to have a low diff testnet.

website | PGP fingerprint: 692C 0756 E57D 2FA1 7601 3729 010B 717F 231C E7AA | BTC Address: 1CrYPTB1o7QWc8hXqBMP2LtAJh1VMtTFBh
IGJ

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 03:03:53 PM

Hello i have some riecoin on polonie someone knows how i can move it or exchange them ?

Hello, jhdscript

As Poloniex delisted riecoin you cant exchange them directly there. You have couple options...

1. Start your own wallet (linux or windows), sync it to the network, generate your riecoin address, and withdraw your RICs from poloniex to your wallet.

2. Create registration on zapple.com (only exchange which support ric at the moment), and move your coins there.

3. There is web wallet version, see somewhere in previous posts.

If you decide to try variant 1. read this:

http://download.riecoin-community.com/README.txt

There I wrote what you need to run your own wallet under linux and windows.
PttnMe

Riecoin developer

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2018, 03:07:36 PM

Correction, regtest is there. Still, it probably would be helpful to have a low diff testnet.

Sure, I will mine very slowly by using cpulimit. I will try to produce about 1 block each 2,5 min at difficulty 304.

Stelo.xyz pool operator
IGJ

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 04:53:31 PM

This exception is throw when "new" in C++ cant allocate memory. In fact calling new not guarantee it will allocate the needed memory. So it throw that exception and you have to handle it in your code, or you can stop throwing the exception and you should check if returned pointer is not null. Second method is slower, so first one is better practice. On P3 machine it is obvious that there is not enough memory, but if you doubt about memory leaks valgrind and gdb are your best friends. They will show you where you allocating memory and not freeing it.
  In DGA's fastrie miner there is some points where memory leaks are possible. but they are not a problem. It is always good practice to call "delete" in C++ when you don't need any more allocated memory from heap with "new" and  to call mpz_clear for mpz structures, even when there is no obvious point to do it.
jhdscript

Activity: 266
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2018, 06:20:18 PM

Hello, jhdscript

As Poloniex delisted riecoin you cant exchange them directly there. You have couple options...

1. Start your own wallet (linux or windows), sync it to the network, generate your riecoin address, and withdraw your RICs from poloniex to your wallet.

2. Create registration on zapple.com (only exchange which support ric at the moment), and move your coins there.

3. There is web wallet version, see somewhere in previous posts.

If you decide to try variant 1. read this:

http://download.riecoin-community.com/README.txt

There I wrote what you need to run your own wallet under linux and windows.

Thanx a lot i make a deposit to zapple but it s long. Waiting..

PttnMe

Riecoin developer

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2018, 08:11:35 PM

This exception is throw when "new" in C++ cant allocate memory. In fact calling new not guarantee it will allocate the needed memory. So it throw that exception and you have to handle it in your code, or you can stop throwing the exception and you should check if returned pointer is not null. Second method is slower, so first one is better practice. On P3 machine it is obvious that there is not enough memory, but if you doubt about memory leaks valgrind and gdb are your best friends. They will show you where you allocating memory and not freeing it.
  In DGA's fastrie miner there is some points where memory leaks are possible. but they are not a problem. It is always good practice to call "delete" in C++ when you don't need any more allocated memory from heap with "new" and  to call mpz_clear for mpz structures, even when there is no obvious point to do it.

Ok, so you are right, I did some quick debugging, and the problem occurs when I use new for an array called segment_hits. It is allocating almost 30 GB... For some reason, the miner is much more sensitive to this problem on Windows than Linux, so I thought at first that it was a Windows specific problem.

Unfortunately, as I did not study the miner optimizations, I do not have any idea of what are the "segment hits" :| ... The huge memory allocation problem seems to be fixable by reducing the max_increments value (with for example 1 << 25 instead of 1 << 29), but this seems to decrease noticeably the performance (by about 40%). But by doing that, I was able to get the Pentium 3 laptop mining properly! It is about 100 x slower than one 2700X unthrottled thread, but would still find a Testnet block each hour. This variable might simply be an user configurable variable, like the sieve size.

I will commit in minutes to reflect these observations (essentially updating the Readme and restore the allocation checks that I stupidly removed). Thank you for pointing out the bad alloc origin.

Stelo.xyz pool operator
IGJ

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 11:27:08 AM

Unfortunately, as I did not study the miner optimizations, I do not have any idea of what are the "segment hits" :| ...

My quick look over the code, leading me to few thoughts... As I understand segment_hits is pointer to array of pointers, the way you declare it, and use it may lead to sure memory leaks. In C (not sure for C++ but should be same) when you just declare pointer, it points to nowhere in the memory.
In C I would declare and initialize it like this...

uint32_t **segment_hits;
sgment_hits = malloc( maxiter * sizeof(uint32_t *) );
if ( !segment_hits ) {do something allocation of memory failed}
for (int i=0; i < maxiter; i++) {
   segmet_hits\[i\] = malloc( entriesPerSegment * sizeof(uint32_t) );
   if ( !segment_hits\[i\] ) {do something allocation of memory failed}
}
note: The forum do not allow me to directly put "[" and "]" thats why I'm escaping them.

Also check deeper the code, because from what i see usage of segment_hits in your code may go out of array boundaries. Anyway, when I start riecoin community forum we may move there to talk for that and to look deeper in codes Smiley

Hope this helps.
guytp

Activity: 62
Merit: 12

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 12:19:33 PM

Thanx a lot i make a deposit to zapple but it s long. Waiting..

Hi,

Guy from Zapple here.  If you're still having a problem raise a support ticket and I'll get it escalated to have a look at for you.  You can PM me here as well but I'm less likely to see a message quickly.

Thanks,

Guy
PttnMe

Riecoin developer

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2018, 12:47:37 PM

Anyway, when I start riecoin community forum we may move there to talk for that and to look deeper in codes Smiley

If you set a forum up, it will be more appropriate to continue the discussion there, in a topic dedicated to rieMiner, to keep this one clean for general discussion.

I will come back in September to continue working on it. If you could set your forum up until then, it would be nice.

Stelo.xyz pool operator
millepag

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 20, 2018, 03:18:13 PM

[...]
And congrats Guytp, Cryptoid is now using Zapple to show the price! Next step is CoinMarketCap!

Has anyone tried to contact them regarding this? I'd say getting relisted at CoinMarketCap is quite important, no?

[...]
All kind of help, ideas or recommendations are welcome.

I've worked as a developer (mainly js/.net/mssql) for many years. Anything at all I can help with - I'd be happy to. Unfortunately, I have very limited experience with C/C++. But there might be something else for the community site. If you can think of anything, I'm a pm away.
IGJ

View Profile
August 20, 2018, 06:32:55 PM

Greetings millepag

Has anyone tried to contact them regarding this? I'd say getting relisted at CoinMarketCap is quite important, no?

I am not tried to contact coinmarketcap, but every advertising right now is important.

I've worked as a developer (mainly js/.net/mssql) for many years. Anything at all I can help with - I'd be happy to. Unfortunately, I have very limited experience with C/C++. But there might be something else for the community site. If you can think of anything, I'm a pm away.

Thank you for your help offer. These days I'm working to deploy new hosting machine which will carry VMs where to put community things. Forum nearly ready but fighting with phpbb bulshits, also need to customize few things in php scripts to make it look more professional and riecoin oriented. Anyway soon will announce it.
  About the site, Yes, I need a lot of help there ! If somebody can start working on it will be great.. here is what I'm thinking about...

1. Simple design, should be very intuitive (like for americans Smiley), responsive of course, should look good on mobile and on desktop.
  2. Mostly informative, we will put information about algorithm, how to install wallet, different miners, pools, links, everything. I believe as many information we can give to all, as many people we will attract to community and to the project.
  3. As hopeguy mention it , news section is necessary.
I'm sure missing a lot of things, so everybody can say freely what thinking and ideas about the site.

I have and one other idea where your skills will be helpful, but it is still in early stage in my mind... Open source web wallet with payment API and SDK (think of it like paypal is, but for riecoin). So people who want (also easy way for those who don't want to install own wallets), can store their coins there, and merchandisers who want to accept payment in riecoins can integrate something small (mostly js) to their sites. And all of this open source, so if somebody or some organization want to create own web wallet or own all payment system, can get it for free Smiley. It will not be easy because a lot of security problems, but if we struct well the code from beginning and write it clear , will be possible. I have not searched if there are currently something like this for other coin, but if there are we could use something from it.

millepag

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 20, 2018, 09:34:26 PM

Great idea IGJ!

I found the CoinMarketCap form for adding/updating a coin:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeqpM6DVuxNRJ43oD90fCsm8UltR9oIiFaVxxqt3ch_eJ5Dlw/viewform

(source: https://coinmarketcap.com/faq/ - What is the criteria for a cryptocurrency to be listed on CoinMarketCap?)

Maybe you can submit it Guytp, since you have the API details for the criteria "Must be on a public exchange with an API that reports the last traded price and the last 24 hour trading volume."?
Pages: « 1 ... 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 [287] 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 »
  Print  

Jump to: