Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:43:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 [466] 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][NOTE]DNotes - Celebrating DNotes 3rd Birthday - Forum Now Open  (Read 814490 times)
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1111

DNotes

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2016, 04:47:12 PM

Pretty interesting read. Warning a bit of unnecessary explicit language. His case could be an argument for or against needing leadership, depending on how you read it. The more I read, the more I was convinced there needs to be leadership. I think he may be confusing control and leadership though. My biggest problem is that he eludes to excluding the opinions of non-coders..... ..... .....

Bitcoin Has No Leader, and Maybe That's a Good Thing

Brian Hoffman is the CEO of OB1, the startup overseeing development of blockchain-based marketplace project OpenBazaar, and a former lead associate at Booz Allen Hamilton.

In this opinion piece, Hoffman discusses the ongoing debate over how bitcoin should be scaled, and why the network's lack of leadership may be both a blessing and a curse.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dyna
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1060

View Profile
February 26, 2016, 05:11:08 PM

Pretty interesting read. Warning a bit of unnecessary explicit language. His case could be an argument for or against needing leadership, depending on how you read it. The more I read, the more I was convinced there needs to be leadership. I think he may be confusing control and leadership though. My biggest problem is that he eludes to excluding the opinions of non-coders..... ..... .....

Brian Hoffman is the CEO of OB1, the startup overseeing development of blockchain-based marketplace project OpenBazaar, and a former lead associate at Booz Allen Hamilton.

In this opinion piece, Hoffman discusses the ongoing debate over how bitcoin should be scaled, and why the network's lack of leadership may be both a blessing and a curse.

Very interesting article. The followings caught my attention:

"I’m absolutely convinced that part of the issue is that bitcoin as an idea is so revolutionary and controversial that it not only attracts the smartest and the brightest, it also appeals to scam artists, idiots, politicians, economists and anyone with an Internet connection who thinks they have something to say."

"I would argue it's an approach that's ultimately destined to fail."

"We constantly get brilliant engineering solutions, but it’s the social problems that hurt us the most."

kanus1113

Activity: 452
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 26, 2016, 09:52:06 PM

Bitcoin Weekly Recap 2-26-2016

CTFC Bitcoin Advisor Chou: Blockchain without Bitcoin Concept ‘Misguided’.
Confronting Bitcoin Challenges at MIT-Hosted bitcoin Expo in March.
E-Coin to be integrated into Wirex Service.
Hong Kong Meeting Produces Some Agreement on Bitcoin Challenges.
Former Green Beret Explains How He Could Disrupt Bitcoin.

http://dcebrief.com/bitcoin-weekly-recap-2-26-2016/

Nicely done Ken. The blockchain without bitcoin concept has been frequently debated, the bottom line is it will have to be a centralized system without a token reward.
CryptoBroker79

Activity: 493
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 26, 2016, 10:37:54 PM

"I’m absolutely convinced that part of the issue is that bitcoin as an idea is so revolutionary and controversial that it not only attracts the smartest and the brightest, it also appeals to scam artists, idiots, politicians, economists and anyone with an Internet connection who thinks they have something to say."

"We constantly get brilliant engineering solutions, but it’s the social problems that hurt us the most."

Unless Bitcoin can develop leadership structure, it surely won't live up to its full potential. Drafting guidelines for community participation as suggested in the article, is a good start, but will not solve the problem of division within the community. Like the Abraham Lincoln speech goes, "A house divided against itself cannot stand."

DNotes on the other hand is a model for the balance needed between strong leadership and community involvement.
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 12:37:30 AM

Unless Bitcoin can develop leadership structure, it surely won't live up to its full potential. Drafting guidelines for community participation as suggested in the article, is a good start, but will not solve the problem of division within the community. Like the Abraham Lincoln speech goes, "A house divided against itself cannot stand."

DNotes on the other hand is a model for the balance needed between strong leadership and community involvement.

Where there is strong leadership, inspiring followers to work as a team towards the attainment of common goals that are mutually beneficial to everyone, the outcomes are consistently more predictable and productive. A lot more can be accomplished with very little. Once it gained sufficient momentum the network effect can quickly dominate.

On the other hand, the leaderless model is likely to gain larger participation and network effect earlier, but far less productive; more political and chaotic. Hence, as the author correctly pointed out, "We constantly get brilliant engineering solutions, but it’s the social problems that hurt us the most."
yavuzc78

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 10:43:08 AM

Dnotes Faucet

Please make it live

http://altcoinix.com/dnotes-faucet/

Chase
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 02:13:44 PM

Dnotes Faucet

Please make it live

I tried to deposit a few, but keep getting "Invalid address"??

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2016, 03:35:56 PM

Dnotes Faucet

Please make it live

I tried to deposit a few, but keep getting "Invalid address"??

Thanks yavuzc78, sent in a few to get you started.

Must be fixed now Chase.

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2016, 03:54:00 PM

Blockchain Weekly Recap 2-27-2016

Mizuho Launches Two Blockchain Endeavors
Mediachain Protocol Offers Promise of Digital Content Rights Database
New European Central Bank Report Explains New Interest in Blockchain
Factom Partners with China’s Ancun Zhengxin for Blockchain Notary service
UK FCA: No Blockchain Regulation for Now
ISITC Believes Blockchain Evolution to Become Clearer within Eighteen Months

http://dcebrief.com/blockchain-weekly-recap-2-27-2016/

Bergman

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 07:39:48 PM

Anyone pos this yet? Good read
How big banks are paying lip service to the blockchain
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/big-banks-interest-in-blockchain-r3-052723646.html
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2016, 07:46:07 PM

Anyone pos this yet? Good read
How big banks are paying lip service to the blockchain
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/big-banks-interest-in-blockchain-r3-052723646.html

I do remember reading that, but I don't remember if anyone posted, good article anyway.

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2016, 07:58:39 PM

I appreciated this write up on medium from Brian Armstrong (Coinbase CEO) as a call to action for bitcoin's scaling issue. The Bitcoin Roundtable Consensus Proposal — Too Little, Too Late.

The roundtable’s consensus proposal falls short in several areas, and only offers words (not working code). Luckily, we already have a working solution to solve bitcoin’s scaling challenge today: BitcoinClassic’s 2MB hard fork.
I think bitcoin will be best served by continuing on the following path:
1 Over the next few weeks the industry should continue upgrading to BitcoinClassic. This will provide some immediate relief to bitcoin’s scaling problem and help restore confidence in the system. Once 75% of recent blocks mined contain a vote for Classic, there will be a 30 day waiting period during which the remaining 25% (and other actors) can upgrade. After the waiting period, the network will upgrade to 2MB blocks with 99% of the network or more (I believe) on a single chain.
2 The bitcoin price will go up and confidence will be restored as we’ve bought ourselves some time on the scaling issue.
3 After this, bitcoin will be in an era of multiple competing teams and nodes, which will accelerate bitcoin’s protocol development. Core, Classic, or any other team can propose upgrades to the protocol that everyone in the industry can vote on. Future protocol upgrades will be decided by consensus using the blockchain (longest valid chain wins), instead of consensus using industry meetings and letters.
If we follow this model, we can have bitcoin’s protocol upgraded to 2MB by April 2016, and keep right on moving to additional upgrades (such as Core’s excellent SegWit work).
If you are a bitcoin miner or business owner, please join the existing companies who have upgraded to BitcoinClassic to help bitcoin scale, and don’t delay based on a promise of what may come in the future. Thank you.

Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 08:37:04 PM

I appreciated this write up on medium from Brian Armstrong (Coinbase CEO) as a call to action for bitcoin's scaling issue. The Bitcoin Roundtable Consensus Proposal — Too Little, Too Late.

The roundtable’s consensus proposal falls short in several areas, and only offers words (not working code). Luckily, we already have a working solution to solve bitcoin’s scaling challenge today: BitcoinClassic’s 2MB hard fork.
1 Over the next few weeks the industry should continue upgrading to BitcoinClassic. This will provide some immediate relief to bitcoin’s scaling problem and help restore confidence in the system. Once 75% of recent blocks mined contain a vote for Classic, there will be a 30 day waiting period during which the remaining 25% (and other actors) can upgrade. After the waiting period, the network will upgrade to 2MB blocks with 99% of the network or more (I believe) on a single chain.
2 The bitcoin price will go up and confidence will be restored as we’ve bought ourselves some time on the scaling issue.
3 After this, bitcoin will be in an era of multiple competing teams and nodes, which will accelerate bitcoin’s protocol development. Core, Classic, or any other team can propose upgrades to the protocol that everyone in the industry can vote on. Future protocol upgrades will be decided by consensus using the blockchain (longest valid chain wins), instead of consensus using industry meetings and letters.
If we follow this model, we can have bitcoin’s protocol upgraded to 2MB by April 2016, and keep right on moving to additional upgrades (such as Core’s excellent SegWit work).
If you are a bitcoin miner or business owner, please join the existing companies who have upgraded to BitcoinClassic to help bitcoin scale, and don’t delay based on a promise of what may come in the future. Thank you.

So obviously there is no done deal.
kanus1113

Activity: 452
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 12:19:07 AM

So obviously there is no done deal.

Just talk so far. We'll see what actually happens yet. I'm for the 2MB fork though.
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 01:41:16 AM
Last edit: February 28, 2016, 04:02:58 AM by Dyna

There was 'Grexit' in 2015 leading to the financial crises of Greece and the possibility of the struggling nation leaving the European Union (EU).

And now instability in the eurozone is prompting the possibility of a 'Brexit', which would see the UK leaving the 28-nation European Union.

So far it has not been a big price boost for Bitcoin and other digital currencies; but may be, this is barely the beginning of serious financial and social-economic crises among the 28 EU nations no one could have imagined.

Brexit Rumors Fail to Boost Market as Bitcoin Price Steady at $420
Charles Bovaird | Published on February 26, 2016 at 19:08 GMT

Despite periods of volatility, the global bitcoin market remained calm this week, gaining 1% while fluctuating between $410 and $450.

The digital currency was trading at $423.52 at 00:00 (UTC) on 26th February, up from $421.16 at 00:00 (UTC) on 19th February, according to the CoinDesk USD Bitcoin Price Index (BPI).

What may be most notable, however, is the lack of a price increase given potential macro-economic instability in the eurozone.

One geopolitical development that coincided with bitcoin’s price volatility was the possibility of aBrexit, which would see the UK leaving the 28-nation European Union (EU). The event is of interest to traders given bitcoin’s historical response to similar events, rising substantially on the rumored 'Grexit' in 2015 and emerging as an asset class in 2013 given its strong climb in response to economic uncertainties in Cyprus.
Still, there were periods of turbulence in the latest trading cycle.

The currency rose sharply on 20th February, appreciating to $443.02 by 18:00 (UTC), up from $421.33 at 00:00 (UTC) for a more than 5% gain. Bitcoin also climbed the following day, rising from $436.13 at 00:00 (UTC) to $446.74 at 07:00 (UTC). However, by 14:00 (UTC), the digital currency had fallen to $429.99.

This price turbulence continued later in the week, as bitcoin dropped from $423.34 at 00:00 (UTC) on 24th February to $411.77 at 05:00 (UTC). The digital currency quickly recovered from this dip, rising to $424.45 by 15:00 (UTC).

This compared to the seven-day period between 12th February and 19th February, when the digital currency rose from $377.82 to $421.69.
Brexit fails to stir market
While UK citizens have long been skeptical of the EU, the tension surrounding the country’s participation in the political and economic partnership has thus far not been strong enough for the nation to break free.
However, disrest has been growing, and a survey conducted in September showed 43% of participants thought the UK should remain in the EU and 40% believed the nation should leave. A separate poll done in February indicated 38% of respondents wanted to exit the 28-nation partnership, while 37% wanted to stay.
Now, the nation is looking ahead to June 23, when voters will go to the polls and participate in a referendum to decide whether the nation stays in the EU or goes its own way. The anticipation surrounding this event has created significant uncertainty, which may be providing tailwinds for bitcoin prices.

In times of market turmoil, bitcoin frequently enjoys a bump in price, as some consider it a safe haven. While the chance the UK might leave is likely placing upward pressure on the digital currency’s price, a Brexit would probably fuel sharper gains.

Arthur Hayes, co-founder and CEO of digital currency exchange BitMEX, commented on how this event could affect bitcoin prices, telling CoinDesk:

"If by June the odds of Brexit occurring are substantial, we could see a Grexit sized pump in the bitcoin price."

Read More: http://www.coindesk.com/brexit-rumors-fail-to-spark-market-as-bitcoin-price-steady-at-420/
IMZ
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 04:21:11 AM

Although indeed a Brexit would likely push up Btc's price, we may not have to wait that long. The political situation is deteriorating fast.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/european-response-to-refugee-crisis-fracturing-a-1079547.html
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 05:53:36 AM

Although indeed a Brexit would likely push up Btc's price, we may not have to wait that long. The political situation is deteriorating fast.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/european-response-to-refugee-crisis-fracturing-a-1079547.html

What a sad situation. It is getting worse by the day.
yavuzc78

Activity: 868

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 09:58:54 AM

Get Dnote Per minute

Our Faucet Live Thanks for Donations

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2016, 03:59:07 PM

Digital Currency Weekly Recap 2-28-2016

Australia Could Someday See Central Bank Cryptocurrency
Australian Crypto Code of Conduct Launched
New EU Report Seeks Crypto Task Force
Barbadian Digital Dollar Becomes Caribbean’s First Digital Money
New Social Network for Crypto Fans: moBUinet
Japan to Propose Legalization of All Digital Currencies

http://dcebrief.com/digital-currency-weekly-recap-2-28-2016/

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2016, 04:00:43 PM

Get Dnote Per minute

Our Faucet Live Thanks for Donations

Thanks yavuzc78. Do you plan to expand your services beyond faucet?

Pages: « 1 ... 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 [466] 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 »
  Print  

Jump to: