Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:12:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 [498] 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][NOTE]DNotes - Celebrating DNotes 3rd Birthday - Forum Now Open  (Read 814492 times)
IMZ
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 21, 2016, 03:41:48 AM

Sigh:

Safecex has been down nearly a week. I will continue monitoring the situation. At present, I have no idea. There's nothing conclusive on their troll box or anywhere else I can easily find.

Mark
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Dyna
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1060

View Profile
April 21, 2016, 04:17:57 AM

Sigh:

Safecex has been down nearly a week. I will continue monitoring the situation. At present, I have no idea. There's nothing conclusive on their troll box or anywhere else I can easily find.

Mark

That is unfortunate, Mark. I know that you have been supporting them. That is part of the reason why we want to take our time in building a solid foundation first. We will never be short of things to do, but once we made a commitment, we want to be able to stand by it. We will have our own exchange one day, but it will not be anytime soon.

Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2016, 04:26:32 AM

really hard for father say that to his children.

While system runs ok no one take care of how it run, or why. just work pay work pay work pay and sleep (just a little bit cuz you must work pay work pay work pay)

If all qualified coders have good job with microsoft or apple, linux maybe not exisist.

So...

Keep good work up !

in spain is really hard too spent 400$ for an emergency too

I understand, infovortice. The majority of people worldwide struggle to pay bills, take care of their  children and put food on the table. Most of them do not have a choice, but spend their entire life working.
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2016, 12:31:06 PM

Interesting...

"Although one may assume that the demand for privacy in Bitcoin and other blockchain-based systems is coming from crypto-anarchists and libertarians, the reality is that a huge push for concealing transactions on the blockchain is coming from the traditional financial industry."

Zooko: The Financial Industry Is Demanding Privacy for Blockchains

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/zooko-the-financial-industry-is-demanding-privacy-for-blockchains-1461169647

I kind of assumed this would be one the issues banks and financial institutions would take up with public blockchains. Privacy is important for people to make everyday transactions. Which a public blockchain does provide, until the user identifies themselves in some way. However, the financial industry probably wants to completely hide all forms of transactions from the public. It is interesting indeed.

There may be some confusion over anonymity with privacy. We all want our full rights to privacy and the banks are obligated to protect our privacy. To me that is not surprising, unless someone got confused with anonymity, which I don’t believe will be acceptable in the highly regulated banking and financial services environment.
Chase
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 21, 2016, 01:12:39 PM

Former U.S. Mint Director Edmund Moy recommends cryptocurrency as a way to diversify your money supply.

3 Ways to Diversify Your Personal Money Supply

Half a century ago, on the occasion of my parent’s wedding, my paternal grandfather presented his daughter-in-law-to-be with a typical Chinese gift, back in the day: A pure gold bracelet and necklace, with many gold coins attached.

A Chinese citizen coming of age in the early decades of the 20th century, he lived through a fallen empire, war lords, foreign invasions, world wars, and the rise of communism. He saw governments collapse and banking systems fail. The gift of gold coins was a guarantee that wherever my parents went, whatever political or economic turmoil they encountered, even if they had nothing but the clothes on their back, they would have enough money, on my mother’s wrist and neck, to sustain the family.

America in the early 21st Century is a far cry from 20th Century China, but as we are living in increasingly uncertain economic times, the lesson behind my grandfather’s gift remains relevant. The importance of making one’s supply of money both diverse and portable endures.

Glance around the globe, much of the world economy is in recession. Japan and Sweden have instituted negative interest rates, effectively punishing savings. Cyprus even confiscated huge chunks of its citizens’ savings to help prop up a faltering government finances. The world’s financial institutions are regularly being attacked and often breached by cyber thieves and techno terrorists.

No, the sky isn’t falling (yet) and this isn’t a doomsday scenario. But it’s a good time to think about protecting one’s earnings from an uncertain economy and the threats surrounding it.

Thankfully there are several ways to do this.

Here are three of the most common:

First, and most obviously, stash cash. This, in theory, is as easy as going to an ATM or bank and building up an emergency fund.  Though you may have to do that in installments: banks already limit how much of their own money a customer can withdraw each day and is required to report large transactions to the federal government.

Secondly, buy some precious metal bullion coins. But make sure they are produced by the government. These are the most widely recognized and easily fungible forms of bullion and come in a wide variety of sizes and values.  These are important because their value typically increases when paper currency loses its value. And both cash and precious metal billions coins still work when the electricity doesn’t (as they did when Katrina knocked out the power).

A third and final avenue for portability and diversification are crypto currencies. These are digital currencies such as Bitcoin that are commonly used as forms of payment online. Think of them as another currency like the dollar or euro, but the difference is that as long as there is an Internet, holders will have unlimited access to these funds. And since crypto currencies don’t travel through the regulated highways that other forms of money do, they are, for the time at least, out of the reach of governments and banks.

Though they may not be necklaces and bracelets laced with gold coins, these forms of personal money supply will provide a degree of security, accessibility and portability not afforded funds simply sitting in electronic bank accounts. And with the cloudy forecasts for the world’s financial system, those are all very welcome things.  

Ed Moy served as the 38th Director of the United States Mint from 2006-2011. Moy is the chief strategist for Fortress Gold Group, a provider of gold IRA rollovers and physical U.S. gold and silver bullion coins for direct delivery.

http://www.newsmax.com/Finance/Ed-Moy/Personal-Money-Supply-Cash/2016/04/15/id/724180/#

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1111

DNotes

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2016, 02:26:45 PM

http://dcebrief.com/what-does-the-rise-of-cryptocurrency-mean-for-banks/

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2016, 03:14:45 PM

Former U.S. Mint Director Edmund Moy recommends cryptocurrency as a way to diversify your money supply.

3 Ways to Diversify Your Personal Money Supply

Half a century ago, on the occasion of my parent’s wedding, my paternal grandfather presented his daughter-in-law-to-be with a typical Chinese gift, back in the day: A pure gold bracelet and necklace, with many gold coins attached.

A Chinese citizen coming of age in the early decades of the 20th century, he lived through a fallen empire, war lords, foreign invasions, world wars, and the rise of communism. He saw governments collapse and banking systems fail. The gift of gold coins was a guarantee that wherever my parents went, whatever political or economic turmoil they encountered, even if they had nothing but the clothes on their back, they would have enough money, on my mother’s wrist and neck, to sustain the family.

America in the early 21st Century is a far cry from 20th Century China, but as we are living in increasingly uncertain economic times, the lesson behind my grandfather’s gift remains relevant. The importance of making one’s supply of money both diverse and portable endures.

Glance around the globe, much of the world economy is in recession. Japan and Sweden have instituted negative interest rates, effectively punishing savings. Cyprus even confiscated huge chunks of its citizens’ savings to help prop up a faltering government finances. The world’s financial institutions are regularly being attacked and often breached by cyber thieves and techno terrorists.

No, the sky isn’t falling (yet) and this isn’t a doomsday scenario. But it’s a good time to think about protecting one’s earnings from an uncertain economy and the threats surrounding it.

Thankfully there are several ways to do this.

Here are three of the most common:

First, and most obviously, stash cash. This, in theory, is as easy as going to an ATM or bank and building up an emergency fund.  Though you may have to do that in installments: banks already limit how much of their own money a customer can withdraw each day and is required to report large transactions to the federal government.

Secondly, buy some precious metal bullion coins. But make sure they are produced by the government. These are the most widely recognized and easily fungible forms of bullion and come in a wide variety of sizes and values.  These are important because their value typically increases when paper currency loses its value. And both cash and precious metal billions coins still work when the electricity doesn’t (as they did when Katrina knocked out the power).

A third and final avenue for portability and diversification are crypto currencies. These are digital currencies such as Bitcoin that are commonly used as forms of payment online. Think of them as another currency like the dollar or euro, but the difference is that as long as there is an Internet, holders will have unlimited access to these funds. And since crypto currencies don’t travel through the regulated highways that other forms of money do, they are, for the time at least, out of the reach of governments and banks.

Though they may not be necklaces and bracelets laced with gold coins, these forms of personal money supply will provide a degree of security, accessibility and portability not afforded funds simply sitting in electronic bank accounts. And with the cloudy forecasts for the world’s financial system, those are all very welcome things.  

Ed Moy served as the 38th Director of the United States Mint from 2006-2011. Moy is the chief strategist for Fortress Gold Group, a provider of gold IRA rollovers and physical U.S. gold and silver bullion coins for direct delivery.

http://www.newsmax.com/Finance/Ed-Moy/Personal-Money-Supply-Cash/2016/04/15/id/724180/#

Great article: No, the sky isn’t falling (yet) and this isn’t a doomsday scenario. But it’s a good time to think about protecting one’s earnings from an uncertain economy and the threats surrounding it.

It is very smart to be prepared for whatever is coming.

RJF19

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

AKA RJF - Since '14 - On line since '84

View Profile
April 21, 2016, 03:35:22 PM

Interesting...

"Although one may assume that the demand for privacy in Bitcoin and other blockchain-based systems is coming from crypto-anarchists and libertarians, the reality is that a huge push for concealing transactions on the blockchain is coming from the traditional financial industry."

Zooko: The Financial Industry Is Demanding Privacy for Blockchains

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/zooko-the-financial-industry-is-demanding-privacy-for-blockchains-1461169647

I kind of assumed this would be one the issues banks and financial institutions would take up with public blockchains. Privacy is important for people to make everyday transactions. Which a public blockchain does provide, until the user identifies themselves in some way. However, the financial industry probably wants to completely hide all forms of transactions from the public. It is interesting indeed.

It also goes against every principal involved in the creation of Bitcoin. No surprise there since banks create nothing new, simply take from others and make it their own.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. Thomas A. Edison
batesresearch
Legendary

Activity: 2424
Merit: 1148

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2016, 10:26:08 PM

Hi there - Chris here with an update from Coinfest UK.

The event was great, with a really good atmosphere of people coming together to promote Crypto as a group. We had a lot of informal interest in DNotes at the conference, from people from all over the UK and Europe, and people seemed to really get something out of the presentation. (I am reliably told that mine was the only presentation in which no-one reached for their mobile phone halfway through, so I will take that as a measure of some success..!)

What really makes DNotes stand out is that while everyone else forgets the importance of mass acceptance, or tries to promote mass acceptance through making coins easier to use, DNotes is about the philosophy, the community and the team behind it. The end result was that DNotes looked like one of the more substantial projects at Coinfest - a project that solves a problem rather than creates new ones.

I will be writing an OpEd article for DCEBrief in the coming days to give a flavour of the issues I covered, and the overall Coinfest experience, but if you're interested I have attached the presentation speech here in Google Docs form: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-CehdX451LDrtmYTFyYniIOgw8GDjLYS56j7Pkyne5E/edit?usp=sharing

The feedback from the organisers is that DNotes had a huge impact on the success of the UK's first Coinfest thanks to our early involvement and the support of our community.

I would also like to thank you all for the support I have had from the DNotes Team in creating and presenting this talk.

Thank you and DNotes for your contribution to CoinFestUK! You supported me when CoinFestUK was just an idea in my head! People and projects like you help shape many projects for the good, You made it a great event and would love to work with you guys in the future with future events and projects. My only regret is not being able to watch all the presentations!

Visit Satoshi's Place, a Bitcoin Hub based in Bury, Manchester, UK.
Goals: Educate & Onboard users in to Bitcoin. Lightning network⚡️
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2016, 10:33:17 PM

The event was great, with a really good atmosphere of people coming together to promote Crypto as a group. We had a lot of informal interest in DNotes at the conference, from people from all over the UK and Europe, and people seemed to really get something out of the presentation. (I am reliably told that mine was the only presentation in which no-one reached for their mobile phone halfway through, so I will take that as a measure of some success..!)

What really makes DNotes stand out is that while everyone else forgets the importance of mass acceptance, or tries to promote mass acceptance through making coins easier to use, DNotes is about the philosophy, the community and the team behind it. The end result was that DNotes looked like one of the more substantial projects at Coinfest - a project that solves a problem rather than creates new ones.

I will be writing an OpEd article for DCEBrief in the coming days to give a flavour of the issues I covered, and the overall Coinfest experience, but if you're interested I have attached the presentation speech here in Google Docs form: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-CehdX451LDrtmYTFyYniIOgw8GDjLYS56j7Pkyne5E/edit?usp=sharing

The feedback from the organisers is that DNotes had a huge impact on the success of the UK's first Coinfest thanks to our early involvement and the support of our community.

I would also like to thank you all for the support I have had from the DNotes Team in creating and presenting this talk.

Thank you and DNotes for your contribution to CoinFestUK! You supported me when CoinFestUK was just an idea in my head! People and projects like you help shape many projects for the good, You made it a great event and would love to work with you guys in the future with future events and projects. My only regret is not being able to watch all the presentations!

Hi batesresearch, thank you for having Chris represent us at CoinFestUK! Glad to hear it went so well and absolutely, just keep us in the loop.

Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2016, 10:42:05 PM

You are most welcome batesresearch. We are delighted to support our industry when can. We are very fortunate that Chris was able to represent us at CoinFestUK. I understand that his presentation was well received. We thank you all for the opportunity and a job well done.
Chase
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 12:41:15 AM

Maclean's Magazine interview with the senior deputy governor of the Bank of Canada that includes a couple of questions on fintech and bitcoin.

Carolyn Wilkins on central banking in a slow growth world

Q: Let’s talk about the fintec revolution. Why is that issue interesting for you?
A: It’s a discussion that has implications for central banks and the financial system, either because we oversee payment clearing and settlement systems, and we may want to adopt some of this technology, or just because it has implications for how we conduct monetary policy or how the financial system’s risks are propagated through the system. My view, one that’s shared by governing council and my colleagues, is that we need to get in early to understand this technology. We need to look under the hood and see it as it develops.

Q: Do you foresee a day when the Bank of Canada gets behind a crypto currency of some kind, such as BitCoin?
A: I think that it’s really early days to speculate on where that kind of activity will play out. What I can say, though, is that we are actively researching the merits and disadvantage of a central bank issuing e-money.

http://www.macleans.ca/economy/economicanalysis/carolyn-wilkins-on-central-banking-in-a-slow-growth-world/

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018
IMZ
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 06:23:47 AM

Maclean's Magazine interview with the senior deputy governor of the Bank of Canada that includes a couple of questions on fintech and bitcoin.

Carolyn Wilkins on central banking in a slow growth world

Q: Let’s talk about the fintec revolution. Why is that issue interesting for you?
A: It’s a discussion that has implications for central banks and the financial system, either because we oversee payment clearing and settlement systems, and we may want to adopt some of this technology, or just because it has implications for how we conduct monetary policy or how the financial system’s risks are propagated through the system. My view, one that’s shared by governing council and my colleagues, is that we need to get in early to understand this technology. We need to look under the hood and see it as it develops.

Q: Do you foresee a day when the Bank of Canada gets behind a crypto currency of some kind, such as BitCoin?
A: I think that it’s really early days to speculate on where that kind of activity will play out. What I can say, though, is that we are actively researching the merits and disadvantage of a central bank issuing e-money.

http://www.macleans.ca/economy/economicanalysis/carolyn-wilkins-on-central-banking-in-a-slow-growth-world/

The Canadians -- specifically their Mint -- were paying attention pretty early, Chase:

http://developer.mintchipchallenge.com/
batesresearch
Legendary

Activity: 2424
Merit: 1148

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2016, 06:43:12 AM

You are most welcome batesresearch. We are delighted to support our industry when can. We are very fortunate that Chris was able to represent us at CoinFestUK. I understand that his presentation was well received. We thank you all for the opportunity and a job well done.

Hi batesresearch, thank you for having Chris represent us at CoinFestUK! Glad to hear it went so well and absolutely, just keep us in the loop.

Thanks guys! Chris's presentation was very well received yes and I heard a lot of discussions about it, again thanks for your support.

Visit Satoshi's Place, a Bitcoin Hub based in Bury, Manchester, UK.
Goals: Educate & Onboard users in to Bitcoin. Lightning network⚡️
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 11:25:44 AM

Thanks guys! Chris's presentation was very well received yes and I heard a lot of discussions about it, again thanks for your support.

Excellent. Let us know how we can help in the future.
RJF19

Activity: 420

AKA RJF - Since '14 - On line since '84

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 12:42:48 PM

This won't go over well...

http://bitcoinist.net/peter-todd-exposes-mit-chainanchor-project-that-enables-tracking-bitcoin-users-identity/

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. Thomas A. Edison
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2016, 02:12:58 PM

Bitcoin Weekly Recap 4-22-2016

Dominican Republic Has Its First Bitcoin ATM
Shift Bitcoin Card Expands to Two More States
34 Bytes to Offer Free Bitcoin Payment Processing During Merchant Beta Test
Twentieth Instacoin Bitcoin ATM Installed in Canada
Daishin and Coinone Unite to Increase Bitcoin Acceptance in South Korea

http://dcebrief.com/bitcoin-weekly-recap-4-22-2016/

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2016, 02:59:24 PM

No it won't. One of the key advantages of cryptocurrencies is anyone, anywhere in the world is able to participate.

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2016, 02:59:52 PM

Bitcoin Weekly Recap 4-22-2016

Dominican Republic Has Its First Bitcoin ATM
Shift Bitcoin Card Expands to Two More States
34 Bytes to Offer Free Bitcoin Payment Processing During Merchant Beta Test
Twentieth Instacoin Bitcoin ATM Installed in Canada
Daishin and Coinone Unite to Increase Bitcoin Acceptance in South Korea

http://dcebrief.com/bitcoin-weekly-recap-4-22-2016/

good news

Welcome to the DNotes thread jioy!

kanus1113

Activity: 452

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 04:35:17 PM

No it won't. One of the key advantages of cryptocurrencies is anyone, anywhere in the world is able to participate.

That is messed up... I can see them doing something outside of bitcoin or on a sidechain for willing participants, but what right do they have to try and force transaction rules for the entire world.................
Pages: « 1 ... 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 [498] 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 »
  Print  

Jump to: