Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 07:49:39 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Where do you expect to see EduCoin being used?
MOOCs and online
College/University
K-12
Crowdfunding / scholarships
Study abroad
Daily student expenses
Other

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][EDU] EduCoin | Blockchain Platform for Education  (Read 170104 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Youghoor

Activity: 1036
Merit: 275

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 07:33:09 AM

Average student can't buy expensive Scrypt ASIC miner to mine Educoin. But he is able to mine on his PC -> more coins on X11

right, students can mine with pc without investing any money on more hardware.
EduCoin (OP)

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 07:39:33 AM

EDUcoin has been added to https://sharexcoin.com/votings

This is a new exchange for Sharecoin that has been growing fast with responsive developers.
I have been trading several coins there since it opened with out issue and so far i like it.

Iam not normally a supporter of smaller exchanges for altcoins that dont already have large trade volume since they often become dump sites, but the layout is clean and the trading volume is building.

Give it look, decide for yourself. Vote if you like it.
Iam still voting on Mintpal as well.

And I want to say Awesome work on the crowed funding for upcoming hackathons!

Regarding the thought of bailing scrypt mining for X-11 algo.. go for it! If the price goes up at all mulitipools will hammer it using scrypt.
Best to make a change now before EDU get dispersed any wider.
Keep in mind all those that received coins to date will have to update wallets, so there will be some effort in contacting previous hackathon recipients And for the upcoming ones, A heads up should be given about potential wallet updates required.

I agree that shareXcoin is definitely a good place to increase educoin's liquidity. They incorporated a very clean and professional layout which should progressively build a larger user base. Regarding the algorithm, x11 already has large and quite active multipools (200 ghash across trademybit, coinmine.pl, etc) but groestl would be a good option as there are currently no multipools for it. In addition, I personally think it is a better alternative to scrypt as it runs more efficiently, was a sha-3, and gpu's love the lower temps during the summer temp.

About groestl, I read somewhere that it is also supported by NVIDIA whereas x11 is not.  So groestl researching we go.
gambel

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:37:09 PM

Eventually every algo will have a multipool. And even if you have an algo that can be fairly mined by cpu and not asic, the beautiful laws of economic will still control the rules of cryptocurrencies. After some time all algorithms and currencies will tend to a mining price equal to the cost of electricity for mining them. The hardware cost are getting less and less relevant. So you can find the most environment friendly algorithm, people will just mine more of them, spending the same amount in electricity at the end.

The only way of circumvent this and i'm not sure if i'm in favor of this, is to create a mining tax that is distributed equally to all registered students. DevCoin follows this model, by giving 90% to funding open source developers. The question is how many out there are willing to mine a coin that is giving back to others. Additionally the administration cost involved in maintaining a foundation that in a transparent ways distributes the founds to students has to be considered.

There is no economic solution to your wish, that a student can mine on his laptop for some EduCoins and then pay for a pizza and beer, without having involved in any cost (electricity, hardware, etc.). Somebody has to cover up for that money (could be an elaborated ponzi scheme but there needs to be an explanation).

Have a nice week...

Gambel
Goattrading

Activity: 182

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 03:13:00 PM

Average student can't buy expensive Scrypt ASIC miner to mine Educoin. But he is able to mine on his PC -> more coins on X11

right, students can mine with pc without investing any money on more hardware.

Adatrader and Youghoor

Good points.
Ok so down with X-11
Since the goal is to stay ahead of the game...

Edit:

I just read your post gambel ... more good points so i am back to up in the air on the Algo. But I do feel it is in the best interest of EDU to look for an option to scrypt... sooner then later.

“I never ask a man what his business is, for it never interests me. What I ask him about are his thoughts and dreams.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
whocares

Activity: 160

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 09:27:08 PM

About groestl, I read somewhere that it is also supported by NVIDIA whereas x11 is not.  So groestl researching we go.

X11 is already supported by Nvidia GPUs and also runs better on them (considerably better Mh/W ratio than AMD).

For more info look here :

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=167229.0
fonzerrellie
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

Kaspa

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 06:06:35 AM

answer to poll question - all of the above Wink

and for the X11 +1+1+1+1 I just started mining my first X11 coin today and it's sooo much less heat, not too mention 3x the hashrate on my 6950!! much more efficient

#Expanse $EXP 500 transactions 4 .1 EXP 1st Clone of ETH 
WAVES
EduCoin (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 06:51:53 AM

@fonzerrellie: Thanks for your reply!  We need X11 experts to come visit our community here. Forking the algo is very important for the future of EduCoin and we want to do it right!
fonzerrellie
Legendary

Kaspa

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 06:56:44 AM

less than 370 blocks left to go before the rewards halve Smiley

I'll see if placebo is interested, he's also really good at pr/marketing for coins

WAVES
EduCoin (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 11:32:40 AM
Last edit: May 20, 2014, 12:07:52 PM by EduCoin

Developer Update

Thanks for the really great comments everybody. I haven't seen this kind of serious and collaborative discussion before and I really appreciate it. Specifically to /u/Gambel, /u/Goattrading, /u/Don007, /u/whocares, /u/fonzerrellie and anyone else I missed thank you!  I see a potential team forming in this group and may I remind you that we have a developers chat at educoin.slack.com.  If you want to join the Slack, ask me for an invite and I'll add you right away.

/u/Cornelius and I, the two original devs from a team of three, are active and currently looking to take EduCoin to the next level.  We are looking for people and resources. For instance:

Development, technical
- Digishield is ready for compiling, however we need code review and compiling assistance due to our schedule and some software issues

- It looks like we are down to either the X11 or groestl algo to fork to in the near future and we would love to invite a developer who has already worked with either algo. /u/fonzerrellie is asking the Citizencoin dev /u/placebo if he wants to participate. It kind of makes sense, students and citizens being allies.

Adoption, user base
- If you are following @satoshiedumoto on twitter, you will know I am reaching out to teachers. We are about to launch a mini-project to create guidelines for other teachers who want to experiment with digital currency in the classroom. In the fall, I see more than a dozen schools testing out EduCoin as part of their computer science curriculum.

- We are currently in the middle of High School Capture the Flag, a first of its kind online security and cryptography competition for middle and high school students.  Just looking at their scoreboard (http://compete.hsctf.com/scoreboard) shows me that an impressive list of students have been visiting our main website from all over the US. The reason?  EduCoin is a major part of the prize money! If you are an HSCTF student reading this, WELCOME!  We want you guys and girls to join our team! Hacking Education is the ultimate hack!

Those of you who e-mailed me recently, I have read your comments and will be getting back to you individually.  

Have a nice week.

Kind regards,
Satoshi Edumoto
fonzerrellie
Legendary

Kaspa

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 05:57:17 PM

Great plans for a great coin, I talked to placebo and as I was kind of thinking with the realease of his new ctz yesterday he's going to be pretty busy... a few days ago we gave him a bounty to do some pr work for OC and has been a huge help, I'm not sure how much we paid him for his help but it probably wasn't too much.

I don't know how much bounty you had in mind to get someone to help with coding a new algorithm and updating the wallet... I think it would be a great idea and would try to help with some donations in the next little bit.

WAVES
placebo
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 06:49:12 PM

What will you gain when changing to X11 at this stage? There are a total of 110,000,000,000 coins and you're already at 70,000,000,000. Changing your algorithm will not help you in new miners, etc, as the block reward is already so low.

I would suggest:

1. Really try to get on bittrex.com or so, as you don't have any exchange where you can use your coins, ok, lets stated it differently any good exchange.

2. I would go for POS, just allow people to mine 1 or 2 weeks using POW, but with a big amount of coins that they can mine, else nobody will mine it. Move to POS with a nice yearly return.

You cannot remove any coins... that is the biggest problem here. I've a third idea.

Basically this coin is dying, why not launch a new coin with x% pre-mine. Let this coin die, BUT reward the people that has been mining for you since the beginning, so what you will ask is, that people deposit their EDU coins to your wallet, based on the number of coins they will receive a part of the pre-mine coin. Launch a new coin with a lot less coins!!!! Everything above 10,000,000,000 is way too much.

Just think about it. Have a good marketing team for your coin to market it, and don't be afraid to pay (or invest) for it.
fonzerrellie
Legendary

Kaspa

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 07:41:53 PM

What will you gain when changing to X11 at this stage? There are a total of 110,000,000,000 coins and you're already at 70,000,000,000. Changing your algorithm will not help you in new miners, etc, as the block reward is already so low.

I would suggest:

1. Really try to get on bittrex.com or so, as you don't have any exchange where you can use your coins, ok, lets stated it differently any good exchange.

2. I would go for POS, just allow people to mine 1 or 2 weeks using POW, but with a big amount of coins that they can mine, else nobody will mine it. Move to POS with a nice yearly return.

You cannot remove any coins... that is the biggest problem here. I've a third idea.

Basically this coin is dying, why not launch a new coin with x% pre-mine. Let this coin die, BUT reward the people that has been mining for you since the beginning, so what you will ask is, that people deposit their EDU coins to your wallet, based on the number of coins they will receive a part of the pre-mine coin. Launch a new coin with a lot less coins!!!! Everything above 10,000,000,000 is way too much.

Just think about it. Have a good marketing team for your coin to market it, and don't be afraid to pay (or invest) for it.

Good Idea's, I have really liked the idea of Edu being a pos for awhile now... 70 or 75 bill POW coins then the rest from a decently high POS rate like 15-30% would be cool, although I don't know anyone doing 50% yet (just look at the attention 100% got for AC before the premine BS)

lots of possibilities for EDU     EDU education for earths citizens Wink

WAVES
fonzerrellie
Legendary

Kaspa

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 10:36:22 PM

I just put in a request at bittrex

WAVES
sp00lin9

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 12:09:07 AM

I just put in a request at bittrex

I message bittrex richie on the irc as well! Hopefully he is willing to add us, it will definitely help to provide more liquidity for educoin. The donations from our great community will have more meaningful value as well.  Smiley
EduCoin (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 12:57:56 AM
Last edit: May 21, 2014, 04:17:39 AM by EduCoin

/u/fonzerrellie awesome you brought /u/placebo over here!  /u/placebo, congratulations on the launch of Citizencoin, and welcome to EduCoin!

I see a long and productive partnership for both of our coin communities. It just makes sense!

In regards to:

1. Proof of Stake, the idea is an intriguing one that we can continue to talk about. However, as for our current growth stage (the next 2 weeks - 1 month) I think we need to just stick to POW (X11, groestl with Digishield managing difficulty).  What can we gain from X11 or groestl even with so few coins left to mine? I think getting to that algo would put us in a different light as far as the market attitude toward EDU. One limiting factor in our adoption strategy is the lack of desire by traders to "invest" in EDU. That in turn prevents exchanges from listing us and then it's turtles from there.

2. Total number: When we created EduCoin, 101 billion total coins came from Dogecoin's specifications. Our rationale (still today) is this allows us to work with whole number units during transactions. It's easier since most students (and adults) are not comfortable with units to the eighth decimal. I would much rather pay for school with 12345678 EDUs than 0.12345678 EDUs. The world education economy is approaching $6 trillion by 2017, I think there is plenty of room for 101 billion EDUs to generate an effective coin economy.  

3. /u/placebo we'd like you to stick around and join us, so if a bounty interests you, please share your EDU address. We know you're busy with CTZ and appreciate your input. We can help you wherever you need help as well.

4. We contacted Bittrex earlier, and were ignored. So let's not get our hopes up for Bittrex. We liked the fact that they are a US based exchange, since our adoption curve goes right through the US (mainly big states like TX, CA, and NY). However, we are not interested in seeing our community spend BTC to get listed there. Bittrex made their bet on UVC, and look at how that turned out.  We prefer CoinMKT over Bittrex.

Let's continue taking steps forward! Please add your input here or join us at Slack.

EDU aims to disrupt a century old education system that is better at making factory supervisors and managers than it is at producing creative critical thinkers.  In just a few weeks we have already achieved much more than other new cryptocoins as far as adoption. Students, teachers, non-profits, and startups actually have EDU and are thinking of ways to integrate them!  The next stage is for us to improve the technology, going (forking) from our Apple I to the Macintosh version of EduCoin, and then get some liquidity so we can actually start using the coins for education!

EduCoin (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 07:09:33 AM
Last edit: May 21, 2014, 08:11:54 AM by EduCoin

Developer Update: Recruiting for the EduCoin Developers Group

We received a tip to start building out the EduCoin developers group by promoting a list of ideal positions. Please take a look at the list below, and if you are qualified please fill out the form. As always there are people who view the list but can't categorize themselves. Please feel free to make up your own position if you feel it could be useful for EDU. Looking forward to seeing your contribution!  People currently in school, working for one, or working in an education company/startup are especially welcome.

Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1VDtvtTIUqbHYRs_jfVBzLezgFcacwF4dOr4ZIiccNMg/viewform

Build Team
•   Coin development wizards (ex. X11/groestl)  
•   Math/Crypto/security experts
•   Skilled compilers for Win / Mac / Unix

Mobile Devs
•   iOS Dev squad
•   Android Dev squad

Web Devs
•   Wallet developer
•   Tipbot developer
•   Cowdfunding site developer (Educoin.tips similar to Dogeraiser.com)

Outreach
•   Reddit moderator(s)
•   Hackathons representative (currently Edumoto)
•   Educator representative  (currently Edumoto)

Development Fund for bounties
EDU: 6dEcuF3gBz4mebKVj96v4fau76AFHGYENn

Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1VDtvtTIUqbHYRs_jfVBzLezgFcacwF4dOr4ZIiccNMg/viewform

placebo
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 09:31:29 AM

/u/fonzerrellie awesome you brought /u/placebo over here!  /u/placebo, congratulations on the launch of Citizencoin, and welcome to EduCoin!

3. /u/placebo we'd like you to stick around and join us, so if a bounty interests you, please share your EDU address. We know you're busy with CTZ and appreciate your input. We can help you wherever you need help as well.
Yes, someone force me to come here  Grin
endchat

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 02:08:50 PM

X11 is the BOMB

Couple this with POS and we have a winner
fonzerrellie
Legendary

Kaspa

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 06:09:27 PM

Yes, someone force me to come here  Grin

did you grab an edu wallet yet ?  got presents for ya Wink

WAVES
colin012

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 06:13:47 PM

Very interesting. Just a question, what makes educoin stand out besides its target audience?

NXT Organization Marketing
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »
  Print  

Jump to: