Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 08:01:45 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Where do you expect to see EduCoin being used?
MOOCs and online
College/University
K-12
Crowdfunding / scholarships
Study abroad
Daily student expenses
Other

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][EDU] EduCoin | Blockchain Platform for Education  (Read 170104 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
EduCoin (OP)

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 01:52:28 AM

Hi J,

Yes, I am here in the forum and am continuing to apply what I've learned from start-ups in San Fran to the educoin project. I am glad that there are a small group of long-term early adopters here in the forum, but what we really really need is a user base of early adopters. Let's for the time being forget the monetary exchange value, and focus on the technology and people.

- We have a good brand and organizing purpose (for instance, we are not out there to replace bitcoin but rather function as a subset or category leader), but what can we do with the technology (codebase) to give that purpose strength and utility?
- We do not have any technical people on the EduCoin project who can help us at the moment, at least any that I am aware of
- We do not have momentum. I am happy to see we are still here, but that's not a guarantee for long term success.

Edumoto

Glad to see this project is still alive

Yes, this project is alive!  

I have been thinking about the question, "What is the one thing EduCoin does well?"  In my opinion we have been funding student led hackathons, CTFs, and other school activities in a way that shows potential.  Aside from the current exchange value limiting EDU's utility, how can be broaden and build on this to make it more useful for students?  

-Edumoto

Thanks edu, though it's been a few weeks since this post. Has any progress been made?
Are einsteinium and bags on the team yet? Should we start mining this again?

Cheers,

J
Korshan

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 06:09:08 PM

Hi,

I like what Edumoto says. A lot. And most notably he is right when he suggests Educoin does indeed have a place within the crypto-sphere, but that place isn't secure, nor is it guaranteed.

Some months ago I donated 750k Educoin to a UK based education charity (they build schools in Ghana). I've been wanting to donate more to an ex-student who is now an ambassador for a Dyslexia charity in the UK, but I've held off that donation in anticipation of the reverse split.

Of course, the real issue is that for the time being the coin cannot be exchanged for educational items, or content. But there's no reason why that won't change if such people and charities want to exchange it for educational items, or content.

If I may, I'm gonna make this suggestion, and though a suggestion I hope you'll read it as an essential next step. Give it away, fellas (and Dudettes). Find a local educational charity and drop them an email stating your desire to give them something that may one day be useful. Give them 100k. Heck, just think of it as dropping your loose change into a charity box outside a convenience store, after all, that's about what it's worth right now Smiley Next month, donate some to a young family member who is about to head to college.

If we all do that 10 times over the next 10 months, we'll each have dropped a million, but the coin will have gained exposure AND be in the hands of the people it's meant to work for.

I mean, wouldn't you rather have 500k of useful coins rather than 5mill of useless ones?

EduCoin (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 09:38:57 PM

Thanks Korshan for the idea.

Who are the users coming to this forum?  Very curious who believes in EduCoin and why.

Edumoto
Korshan

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 10:41:23 PM

I am a 40 something primary school teacher in England, who became interested in Bitcoin about a year and a half ago, just in time for the altcoin eruption. I guess you could say I'm an enthusiast of the technology and have had a few posts published on Let's Talk Bitcoin (http://letstalkbitcoin.com/having-a-bit-of-faith/).

I guess you could say I "get" the point of Blockchain technology, and can imagine it playing an important role in the future. Mix a knowledge of the tech with my job, my child, who needs educating, and the fact I have anarchistic tendencies and you get an interest in Educoin. I bought a bunch within a day or two of it hitting the exchanges.

The fact Educoin hasn't "gone to the moon" really doesn't bother me. In fact, if having some can help my boy gain access to quality learning content when he's at university in 15 years time, I'll be happy.

In summary, I wouldn't be able to code if my life depended on it and I ain't a whale. However, I can see Blockchain technology working in a useful, purposeful and constructive manner. Bitcoin is leading the way. Maidsafe is an interesting application. Ethereum, who knows. But at the same time Doge, RDD and several others are showing that altcoins really do have a place. So, as far as I'm concerned, Educoin belongs here too.

One other thing I can say with absolute conviction and certainty. People in the Education sector don't play with money because every penny spent can improve a young person's life chances - no money, no chances.
EduCoin (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 12:44:42 AM

I am a 40 something primary school teacher in England, who became interested in Bitcoin about a year and a half ago, just in time for the altcoin eruption. I guess you could say I'm an enthusiast of the technology and have had a few posts published on Let's Talk Bitcoin (http://letstalkbitcoin.com/having-a-bit-of-faith/).

I guess you could say I "get" the point of Blockchain technology, and can imagine it playing an important role in the future. Mix a knowledge of the tech with my job, my child, who needs educating, and the fact I have anarchistic tendencies and you get an interest in Educoin. I bought a bunch within a day or two of it hitting the exchanges.

The fact Educoin hasn't "gone to the moon" really doesn't bother me. In fact, if having some can help my boy gain access to quality learning content when he's at university in 15 years time, I'll be happy.

In summary, I wouldn't be able to code if my life depended on it and I ain't a whale. However, I can see Blockchain technology working in a useful, purposeful and constructive manner. Bitcoin is leading the way. Maidsafe is an interesting application. Ethereum, who knows. But at the same time Doge, RDD and several others are showing that altcoins really do have a place. So, as far as I'm concerned, Educoin belongs here too.

One other thing I can say with absolute conviction and certainty. People in the Education sector don't play with money because every penny spent can improve a young person's life chances - no money, no chances.

Thank you Korshan, reading your post is really inspiring. It's very early, and with time, I hope more people can join us. We have been here less than a year, and just surviving is in itself an achievement we can all be proud of.
EduCoin (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 09:56:39 PM

Thank you bags85 for the update!

POOLS - **Updated 12/15/2014**
http://edu-pool.crypto-coin.info/  

BLOCK EXPLORER -  **Updated 12/15/2014**
http://edu.crypto-coin.info
racebyu

Activity: 346
Merit: 260

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 05:02:25 AM

Looks good, what is needed to get this coin going again?
I can make a donation of coins to help things going.
Maybe the coin should be used to sponsor some under privileged kids
or sponsor book, pens etc in third world countries?
EduCoin (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 08:30:06 AM

Looks good, what is needed to get this coin going again?
I can make a donation of coins to help things going.
Maybe the coin should be used to sponsor some under privileged kids
or sponsor book, pens etc in third world countries?

These are the things we need:

1. Technical development and more technical devs. Go to the git for the current source:
https://github.com/educoinfoundation/educoin-foundation

2. Coin donations. In reality, giving them to underprivileged kids is a long term idea, such as donation drives and crowdfunding for third world schools. Let's focus on our own neighborhoods. Find the school(s) where the technology curriculum is strong, and I am certain there will be open-minded teachers and educators willing to accept EduCoin to experiment with or actually use.

3. More activity in this forum. I am sure there are people who are visiting out of curiosity. Be sure to say hello.

-Edumoto
Korshan

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 02:29:11 PM

Good plan, Ed.

I'll look into colleges in my area.

Also, you're right. Being around for a about a year is indeed an achievement. When will Educoin have it's first birthday?
EduCoin (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 09:06:00 PM

Good plan, Ed.

Also, you're right. Being around for a about a year is indeed an achievement. When will Educoin have it's first birthday?

EduCoin was launched on March 11, 2014 10am EST.  So we have a ways to go.  Smiley
uyvienn

Activity: 22

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 10:37:03 AM

Good plan, Ed.

EduCoin was launched on March 11, 2014 10am EST.  So we have a ways to go.  Smiley

Hello Edumoto! Best wishes to Educoin!
EduCoin (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 02:52:46 AM

Good plan, Ed.

Hello Edumoto! Best wishes to Educoin!

Hi uyvienn! Long time no see, so glad to see you with us. I really am pleased to see you here Smiley

Edumoto
Korshan

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 07:57:44 AM

Any objections to requesting EduCoin join the list of currencies supported by Facebook tipping App, Multicoin Tipping?
EduCoin (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 10:26:02 PM

Any objections to requesting EduCoin join the list of currencies supported by Facebook tipping App, Multicoin Tipping?

Hi Korshan, happy new year!

I have no objections at all. I think this is a really great idea!

-Edumoto
Korshan

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 10:52:07 PM

-Edumoto

Okay. I'll look into it.
K
Korshan

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 11:08:24 PM

-Edumoto

Okay. I'll look into it.
K

In order to have EduCoin listed on the Multicoin Tipping App there needs to be an EduCoin Facebook Group... are you okay with me setting this up and being the moderator?
fonzerrellie
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

Kaspa

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 06:25:32 AM

Happy New Years Edumoto!!! I'm glad to see your still at it and staying positive Cheesy

let me know if you ever need an extra voice on twitter I'll help in any way I can

#Expanse $EXP 500 transactions 4 .1 EXP 1st Clone of ETH 
WAVES
EduCoin (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 10:32:42 PM

I created the facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/387912708045291

-Edumoto
Korshan

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 12:09:19 PM

I created the facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/387912708045291

-Edumoto

I'm now a member. Time to start exploring the tipping app.

I have set up a Twitter account @kor3shan which is called EduCoinFBgroup. Please follow.

To my way of thinking... I'd like to use Twitter to get people to join the FB group - and when registered with the tipping app - tip people for joining the group and also tip people for posting on the group page.

Hopefully, that will be do-able:)
Korshan

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 06:24:13 AM

My wallet isn't syncing. It's showing no connections.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »
  Print  

Jump to: