Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:52:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [PIG] Piggycoin old Thread.  (Read 103997 times)
piggycoin (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 04:44:21 PM

Obviously you know my vote Smiley

If this coin is going to be aimed towards kids which I think is AWESOME and what makes it unique, then we have to strive for a $.01 valuation per coin because that's what kids will understand.  If a teacher sees that the kids have to deal with .0000421354 valuation per coin, I just don't think it's going to happen.

Reducing the block reward keeps things simple yet allows there to still be tons of coin yet be rare enough that I feel we can get a $.01 valuation.

If we DO fork, please be sure to fork at a future block so the pools and exchanges can implement the new code.  I've seen a couple coins break because the dev put the fork only a few minutes ahead.  Heheh.

Lol, if we do fork we have to do it days after the decision, I want everyone updated and informed about this.

New Piggycoin [PIGGY]: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=633803
The crypto for kids!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tic-tac-totoro

Activity: 287
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 05:08:24 PM

To keep it REALLY simple, you could just take the block reward down to 100 coins per block.  That will add enough age to the coin where you don't need to add a halvening or have more coins be created after the cap is hit as it'll take much longer to hit the cap and then we'll be established enough to rely on miner fees alone.
This is an excellent idea.  I have avoided Piggy so far because of the block reward setup.  If you do this, I would invest.

I will start a vote on this, if the community agrees we will do it.

Member MyFarm sent this "100 coins per block is still 72,000 coins per day and 26,280,000 coins per year.  That's a LOT, but MUCH better than what we have now.  As you are now, you're really NOT aimed to kids because there is no way you'll get a $.01 per coin valuation.  No kid is going to play with $.00003223 per coin valuation.  But with 100 coins per block, we can get a valuation of $.01 per coin in my opinion which kids DO understand.", and I think he´s right, that's just my position though, let's see what the community thinks.

Pretty bad idea imo as it benefits current piggycoin holders way too much.
piggycoin (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 05:11:18 PM

To keep it REALLY simple, you could just take the block reward down to 100 coins per block.  That will add enough age to the coin where you don't need to add a halvening or have more coins be created after the cap is hit as it'll take much longer to hit the cap and then we'll be established enough to rely on miner fees alone.
This is an excellent idea.  I have avoided Piggy so far because of the block reward setup.  If you do this, I would invest.

Member MyFarm sent this "100 coins per block is still 72,000 coins per day and 26,280,000 coins per year.  That's a LOT, but MUCH better than what we have now.  As you are now, you're really NOT aimed to kids because there is no way you'll get a $.01 per coin valuation.  No kid is going to play with $.00003223 per coin valuation.  But with 100 coins per block, we can get a valuation of $.01 per coin in my opinion which kids DO understand.", and I think he´s right, that's just my position though, let's see what the community thinks.

What do you suggest? A bigger number than 100?

The crypto for kids!
viriat0

Activity: 1008
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 05:25:05 PM

Try to implement here: https://www.cryptsy.com/coinvotes/

Good luck Smiley

MyFarm

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 05:28:18 PM

To keep it REALLY simple, you could just take the block reward down to 100 coins per block.  That will add enough age to the coin where you don't need to add a halvening or have more coins be created after the cap is hit as it'll take much longer to hit the cap and then we'll be established enough to rely on miner fees alone.
This is an excellent idea.  I have avoided Piggy so far because of the block reward setup.  If you do this, I would invest.

Member MyFarm sent this "100 coins per block is still 72,000 coins per day and 26,280,000 coins per year.  That's a LOT, but MUCH better than what we have now.  As you are now, you're really NOT aimed to kids because there is no way you'll get a $.01 per coin valuation.  No kid is going to play with $.00003223 per coin valuation.  But with 100 coins per block, we can get a valuation of $.01 per coin in my opinion which kids DO understand.", and I think he´s right, that's just my position though, let's see what the community thinks.

I understand what you're saying, but with the current block reward, there is no way kids are going to use this.  We're just not going to get the necessary valuation in my opinion.  I currently own 200,000 Piggy.  If this fork goes live, I'll give 50,000 of it away on Poloniex if/when they adopt Piggy and 50,000 of it to kids in some way we come up with to help spread the love and fairness.

The uniqueness of this currency is that it is targeted for kids.  If kids aren't going to use it because it is too hard to understand, then NOBODY benefits.
piggycoin (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 05:35:48 PM
Last edit: March 12, 2014, 12:39:59 AM by piggycoin

Should block rewards be reduced? Please vote.

EDIT: deleted topic.

The crypto for kids!
tic-tac-totoro

Activity: 287

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:33:45 PM

Keep it the same or implement a decreasing block reward. Premine was 21 million coins. This corresponds to 5250 blocks which is already quite a large number. By lowering the block reward to 100 it'll increase to 210000 blocks. Will pretty much lose all credibility of the coin if this goes through imo.
piggycoin (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:41:28 PM

Keep it the same or implement a decreasing block reward. Premine was 21 million coins. This corresponds to 5250 blocks which is already quite a large number. By lowering the block reward to 100 it'll increase to 210000 blocks. Will pretty much lose all credibility of the coin if this goes through imo.

I was trying to avoid a decreasing block reward, what about keeping it the same and discuss it further ahead?

The crypto for kids!
MyFarm

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:42:45 PM

As Auroracoin and other coins have shown, having a large premine is ok as long as it is used for positive purposes.  If we give most of those coins to kids like the coin intends, then not only do we not lose credibility, we do something amazing.
MyFarm

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:44:15 PM

I was trying to avoid a decreasing block reward, what about keeping it the same and discuss it further ahead?
As the voting page shows, people want a block reward decrease.  If not 100, then 500 which I can live with.  As long as you commit to giving most of those premine coins to kids and developing apps to support that, then we're in business and this coin can do a LOT of good.  If you keep everything the same, I guarantee this coin will go nowhere.
piggycoin (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:54:36 PM
Last edit: March 11, 2014, 07:25:56 PM by piggycoin

To keep it REALLY simple, you could just take the block reward down to 100 coins per block.  That will add enough age to the coin where you don't need to add a halvening or have more coins be created after the cap is hit as it'll take much longer to hit the cap and then we'll be established enough to rely on miner fees alone.
This is an excellent idea.  I have avoided Piggy so far because of the block reward setup.  If you do this, I would invest.

Member MyFarm sent this "100 coins per block is still 72,000 coins per day and 26,280,000 coins per year.  That's a LOT, but MUCH better than what we have now.  As you are now, you're really NOT aimed to kids because there is no way you'll get a $.01 per coin valuation.  No kid is going to play with $.00003223 per coin valuation.  But with 100 coins per block, we can get a valuation of $.01 per coin in my opinion which kids DO understand.", and I think he´s right, that's just my position though, let's see what the community thinks.

As the voting page shows, people want a block reward decrease.  If not 100, then 500 which I can live with.  As long as you commit to giving most of those premine coins to kids and developing apps to support that, then we're in business and this coin can do a LOT of good.  If you keep everything the same, I guarantee this coin will go nowhere.

Even maybe 500 is too small, we need new miners to be incentived to mine

The crypto for kids!
mega

Activity: 812

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 07:10:51 PM

premined coins can always be used to promote the coin. If they're worth more, more things can be accomplish.
I believe piggycoin dev is interested in the growth of the coin and I do believe him. So my vote will be yes. We should decrease the block reward.
And for those with jealous feelings, I do not own that much number of coins, and wouldn't worry if some guys see they're value increase. I'm interested in cryptos for the good reasons of it, not just for personal interest and fast profit. And if decreasing the block reward makes some the coin better in some way we should do it.

Got my account back! It was hacked. Sorry about it :|
notsoshifty

Activity: 378

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 07:49:58 PM

It's a shame the voting page doesn't have any other options. For instance, the most commonly applied mechanism (block halving at defined intervals) isn't there.

I'm all for simplicity, especially if we are wanting kids to understand some aspects of this coin, but it's more important for the coin
to be usable as a currency by its target market (rewards, gifts, exchange with friends, in-game purchases, etc). So it needs to be seen as fair, stable, and secure.

When making any changes, it's important to:
 - Avoid resulting in a large instamine (or the perception of one). Moving from 4000 PIG to 100 PIG reward after one month would mean that at the 12 month mark the first month's mining would coult for 80% of the total. That is, huge instamine.
 - Avoid resulting in a large premine (or the perception of one). Moving from 4000 PIG to 100 PIG reward after one month would mean that at the 12 month mark the premine would coult for 20% of the total. That is, huge premine.
 - Not lose trust of users and investors. If you change the rules once, you could change the rules again, and who's to know if that's in their favour or not? That doesn't mean rules shouldn't change if the reasons are right.

piggycoin (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 07:51:57 PM

Ok, another proposal. I've been talking to some people and they all advised that we shouldn't bring the block rewards cut to the table right now, since piggy is a very recent coin it would destabilize us. Since I think they are right I propose a block halving system (no way we can run from this lol).

my proposal:

4000 until one third of the coins are out.

then 2000, 1000, 500, 250, 100, 50 in equal height intervals.

then 10 to keep the network going.

The crypto for kids!
notsoshifty

Activity: 378

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 07:57:28 PM

Ok, another proposal. I've been talking to some people and they all advised that we shouldn't bring the block rewards cut to the table right now, since piggy is a very recent coin it would destabilize us. Since I think they are right I propose a block halving system (no way we can run from this lol).

my proposal:

Maybe need to play with the numbers a bit? This would result in a practical maximum of 1.4 billion coins, instead of the original maximum of 2.1 billion coins. Any reduction in the overall total could be perceived as a (slight) disguised instamine.

Maybe halve at one half of the coins instead of one third.

EDIT: but in general, yes, I think I would favour reward halving; I'm not sure if there are any better practical approaches?
busoni

Activity: 364

Owner of Poloniex

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 09:12:55 PM

Just added PiggyCoin to Poloniex:

https://poloniex.com/exchange/btc_pig

Poloniex.com - Fast crypto exchange with margin trading, advanced charts, and stop-limit orders
jinhuadfh1

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 09:24:34 PM

Just added PiggyCoin to Poloniex:

https://poloniex.com/exchange/btc_pig

i got you~
piggycoin (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 09:28:03 PM

my proposal:

Maybe need to play with the numbers a bit? This would result in a practical maximum of 1.4 billion coins, instead of the original maximum of 2.1 billion coins. Any reduction in the overall total could be perceived as a (slight) disguised instamine.

Maybe halve at one half of the coins instead of one third.

EDIT: but in general, yes, I think I would favour reward halving; I'm not sure if there are any better practical approaches?

Something like this:

Code:
{
    int64 nSubsidy = 4000 * COIN;

if ( nHeight == 2 ){
        nSubsidy = 21000000 * COIN;
    }else if(nHeight > 169750){
        nSubsidy = 2000*COIN;
    }else if ( nHeight > 528724 ){
        nSubsidy = 1000* COIN;
    }else if ( nHeight > 887698 ){
        nSubsidy = 500 * COIN;
    }else if ( nHeight > 1246672){
        nSubsidy = 250 * COIN;
    }else if ( nHeight > 1605646){
        nSubsidy = 100 * COIN;
    }else if ( nHeight > 1964620){
        nSubsidy = 50 * COIN;
    }else if ( nHeight > 2323594){
        nSubsidy = 10 * COIN;
    }

return nSubsidy + nFees;
}

The crypto for kids!
mega

Activity: 812

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 10:12:58 PM

Sounds good to me

Got my account back! It was hacked. Sorry about it :|
theeevilmunkey

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 10:21:12 PM

ANNOUNCEMENT!

Piggycoin tip giveaway in 5 minutes. come to the IRC channel

http://webchat.freenode.net/?nick=piggy..&channels=%23piggy&prompt=1

make sure you are registered with the nickserv to get your coin
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »
  Print  

Jump to: