Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:12:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [GUIDE] GridSeed GC3355 5 Chip Setup/power/windows/linux/rpi by UnicornHasher  (Read 365535 times)
IncludeBeer
Legendary

Activity: 1164
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 02:52:51 AM

Just got my miner today....trying to get it to run with cpuminer.  I first used Zadig to install the WinUSB driver, then edited the .bat to this:

minerdOC.exe --freq=850 --gc3355=\\.\COM17 --url=stratum+tcp://coinotron.com:3337 --userpass=NewbieMiner.ASIC:derpy

but when I run it, I see this:

"Open \\.\COM17 failed, GetLastError:2"

...and then it does nothing but tell me when Stratum detected a new block.

What do I need to do to get this running?  Sorry, I'm a complete noob and new to this :/

Grow the Dividend Snek! (pm me if you have questions)
https://powh.io/?masternode=0x1f9b145fdaef2b82aef29c2f3c9b875a8b017512

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wolfey2014

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 03:07:05 AM

Just got my miner today....trying to get it to run with cpuminer.  I first used Zadig to install the WinUSB driver, then edited the .bat to this:

minerdOC.exe --freq=850 --gc3355=\\.\COM17 --url=stratum+tcp://coinotron.com:3337 --userpass=NewbieMiner.ASIC:derpy

What do I need to do to get this running?  Sorry, I'm a complete noob and new to this :/

use this...
minerdOC.exe --freq=850 --gc3355=COM17 --url=stratum+tcp://coinotron.com:3337 --userpass=NewbieMiner.ASIC:derpy

get rid of Zadig drivers.... Install STMicroelectronics Virtual Comm Port driver...
http://www.xpdrivers.com/usb/stmicroelectronics/_3_2602.cfm
After installing the new USB comm port driver, plug in your miner to the USB port, let it load, go to device manager, comm & lpt , note the comm port number and add it to the command line above.
Close device manager, open command window to the location of your cpuminer program, copy and paste the above command line in to there and hit Enter,,, your miner should load up and start hashing away...
Good luck!

I Modify Miners Professionally! PM me for details!
IncludeBeer
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:27:07 AM

use this...
minerdOC.exe --freq=850 --gc3355=COM17 --url=stratum+tcp://coinotron.com:3337 --userpass=NewbieMiner.ASIC:derpy

get rid of Zadig drivers.... Install STMicroelectronics Virtual Comm Port driver...
After installing the new USB comm port driver, plug in your miner to the USB port, let it load, go to device manager, comm & lpt , note the comm port number and add it to the command line above.
Close device manager, open command window to the location of your cpuminer program, copy and paste the above command line in to there and hit Enter,,, your miner should load up and start hashing away...
Good luck!

hmmmm...maybe that's the problem:  I can't find the "Ports: comm & lpt" section in device manager.  Closest thing is probably Universal Serial Bus controllers....which is where the driver was labeled when I used Zadig to install the winusb driver.  Where can I find the Com #? (the '17' that was in my connection settings was defaulted that way...).  Thanks again for all the help!

jamieb81

Activity: 308

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:28:40 AM

use this...

Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sim6F_egM2g

voila a little tutorial for CPUminer
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 03:49:59 AM

use this...

Good luck!

hmmmm...maybe that's the problem:  I can't find the "Ports: comm & lpt" section in device manager.  Closest thing is probably Universal Serial Bus controllers....which is where the driver was labeled when I used Zadig to install the winusb driver.  Where can I find the Com #? (the '17' that was in my connection settings was defaulted that way...).  Thanks again for all the help!

As stated already, get rid of, uninstall Zadig drivers. Install STM drivers...after that, plug in your miner, let it be recognized and loaded and you'll see it's driver where I said it will be.
Good luck!

IncludeBeer
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 04:01:53 AM

use this...

Good luck!

As stated already, get rid of, uninstall Zadig drivers. Install STM drivers...after that, plug in your miner, let it be recognized and loaded and you'll see it's driver where I said it will be.
Good luck!

lol my bad....I didn't realize I needed to unplug and then re-plug in the miner before it would be recognized by the driver tool.  Thanks very much for your help!

IncludeBeer
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 04:13:39 AM

I think I have a new problem...very shortly after I started mining, the fan on the gridseed turned off, and the light now only blinks (steadily) green, with no more red lights blinking.  Also, cpuminer hasn't shown me that a single share has been accepted yet.  Is something wrong with my gridseed??

wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 04:21:26 AM

I think I have a new problem...very shortly after I started mining, the fan on the gridseed turned off, and the light now only blinks (steadily) green, with no more red lights blinking.  Also, cpuminer hasn't shown me that a single share has been accepted yet.  Is something wrong with my gridseed??

Sounds like you lost the 12V power. Try resetting your power supply and try again. Maybe a fuse blew?
Anyway, the lights keep blinking because they are 5V powered via USB.
It will show accepting work to be done but won't do any because there's no 12V to power the chips so they can hash.

IncludeBeer
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 04:39:43 AM

Sounds like you lost the 12V power. Try resetting your power supply and try again. Maybe a fuse blew?
It will show accepting work to be done but won't do any because there's no 12V to power the chips so they can hash.

Hmmmm....well I bought a 12v 1a power cord on Amazon since someone told that if I was only going to be scrypt mining, I could get the cheaper, 1a power supply.  Do you think this could be it?  I tried unplugging everything, waiting a couple minutes, then plugging it back on, but still no 12v.  Is there another way to reset power supply?  Or force 12v?

poopypants

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 06:20:39 PM

Hmmmm....well I bought a 12v 1a power cord on Amazon since someone told that if I was only going to be scrypt mining, I could get the cheaper, 1a power supply.  Do you think this could be it?  I tried unplugging everything, waiting a couple minutes, then plugging it back on, but still no 12v.  Is there another way to reset power supply?  Or force 12v?

I'd bet 5 btc your power supply is too small.  Go get one with higher amperage and try again.

Einsteinium: http://einsteinium.org/    Helping advance Science

SilkCoin: BCZFuLUX2XfGF4W5cRK3efcg6U5Pv1tuaj
sandor111

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 06:24:33 PM

You guys should really try the new LightningAsic V3c miner software if you haven't already, it's designed to do one thing and one thing only, to get the most out of your Gridseed miners. If you don't have a Tp-link 703N, they are really cheap to get on eBay @ ~$20. Definitely worth the investment.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=554542.0

IncludeBeer
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 11:26:09 PM
Last edit: April 05, 2014, 11:51:56 PM by IncludeBeer

I think I have a new problem...very shortly after I started mining, the fan on the gridseed turned off, and the light now only blinks (steadily) green, with no more red lights blinking.  Also, cpuminer hasn't shown me that a single share has been accepted yet.  Is something wrong with my gridseed??

Hmmmm....well I bought a 12v 1a power cord on Amazon since someone told that if I was only going to be scrypt mining, I could get the cheaper, 1a power supply.  Do you think this could be it?  I tried unplugging everything, waiting a couple minutes, then plugging it back on, but still no 12v.  Is there another way to reset power supply?  Or force 12v?

I'd bet 5 btc your power supply is too small.  Go get one with higher amperage and try again.

Fml.  The one I got is 2.1mm....but all the 5a ones I see on Amazon are 2.5mm, like this:
http://www.amazon.com/12-Volt-Power-Supply-Standard/dp/B009ZZV6TA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1396741285&sr=8-3&keywords=12v+5+amp+power+supply

Should be ok?

favelle75

Activity: 910
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 01:11:30 AM

I think I have a new problem...very shortly after I started mining, the fan on the gridseed turned off, and the light now only blinks (steadily) green, with no more red lights blinking.  Also, cpuminer hasn't shown me that a single share has been accepted yet.  Is something wrong with my gridseed??

Hmmmm....well I bought a 12v 1a power cord on Amazon since someone told that if I was only going to be scrypt mining, I could get the cheaper, 1a power supply.  Do you think this could be it?  I tried unplugging everything, waiting a couple minutes, then plugging it back on, but still no 12v.  Is there another way to reset power supply?  Or force 12v?

I'd bet 5 btc your power supply is too small.  Go get one with higher amperage and try again.

Fml.  The one I got is 2.1mm....but all the 5a ones I see on Amazon are 2.5mm, like this:
http://www.amazon.com/12-Volt-Power-Supply-Standard/dp/B009ZZV6TA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1396741285&sr=8-3&keywords=12v+5+amp+power+supply

Should be ok?

Both fit....I have used both.

_Crypto made easier than cash_

▄███▄              ▄███▄
███████            ███████
███████   ▄████▄   ███████
███████  ████████  ███████
▄██████████  ████████  ██████████▄
████████████  ████████  ████████████
████████████  ████████  ████████████
▀██████████  ████████  ██████████▀
▀███▀   ████████   ▀███▀
████████
▀████▀
MenaPay.
ANN THREAD
__
Ranma13

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 01:22:09 AM
Last edit: April 06, 2014, 01:35:04 AM by Ranma13

I'm trying to get 80 Gridseeds working across 4 Raspberry Pi's (24 Gridseeds for each Raspberry Pi using Monoprice 24-port USB hubs). However, I'm running into an issue with btbartle's cgminer:

https://i.imgur.com/wbdUUuA.png

It looks like the Gridseeds are hashing, but only 3 of them have submitted shares, and a very low amount at that (and strangely, it always increments by a power of 2). Does anybody have any idea why this is happening? I've tried using the default 600 MHz speed and also using cpuminer, but the results are always the same.
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 07:47:30 AM

I'm trying to get 80 Gridseeds working across 4 Raspberry Pi's (24 Gridseeds for each Raspberry Pi using Monoprice 24-port USB hubs). However, I'm running into an issue with btbartle's cgminer:

It looks like the Gridseeds are hashing, but only 3 of them have submitted shares, and a very low amount at that (and strangely, it always increments by a power of 2). Does anybody have any idea why this is happening? I've tried using the default 600 MHz speed and also using cpuminer, but the results are always the same.

It's showing "difficulty shares", i.e. increments by the pool difficulty (32 in your case). How long have you tested it? Your screenshot shows only about 10 minutes. I would start with one Raspberry, a smaller number of Gridseeds (e.g. 10) and after that is working and stable for at least an hour start adding more.
Ranma13

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:38:10 AM

I've run it for several days now, the screenshot was just an example. I normally use cpuminer because cgminer crashes after a few hours and disconnects all the Gridseeds, and I have to reboot the Raspberry Pi in order to get them all back.

I should be getting around 28 MH/s for 80 Gridseeds, but my pool only reports 6.5 MH/s. Strangely, one of the Raspberry Pi's has only 8 miners connected to it and each one is submitting shares, unlike the remaining 3 Raspberry Pi's that are hooked up to 24 miners each and only 1-3 Gridseeds per Pi are submitting shares. I'm not sure if it's because of the USB hub or the number of Gridseeds used, but this is the kit from Zoomhash so I'm under the assumption (perhaps erroneously) that everything should work.
pjcltd
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1003

NodeMasters

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 11:39:06 AM

I think you will find the HUB dose not have enough power to run 24 gridseeds

what size is the PSU?
Ranma13

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:45:43 AM

https://i.imgur.com/wbdUUuA.png

what size is the PSU?

This is the Monoprice 24-port USB hub. I don't have it in front of me right now, but I think the power adapter for it is 12V at 4A = 48W. The Gridseeds are powered using 12V at 7A = 84W power bricks. Each one powers 8 Gridseeds each, and the Gridseeds run in scrypt only mode. I purchased the 20x Gridseed kit from Zoomhash, 4 of them.
pjcltd
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1003

NodeMasters

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 02:02:21 PM

what size is the PSU?

This is the Monoprice 24-port USB hub. I don't have it in front of me right now, but I think the power adapter for it is 12V at 4A = 48W. The Gridseeds are powered using 12V at 7A = 84W power bricks. Each one powers 8 Gridseeds each, and the Gridseeds run in scrypt only mode. I purchased the 20x Gridseed kit from Zoomhash, 4 of them.

i'm not sure but i dint think thats enough power on the 5v Line to power all the gridseeds.

edonkey
Legendary

Activity: 1150
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 04:43:15 PM

I'm still seeing disconnects where after running for a while units disappear and are rediscovered. I'm on a Raspberry Pi running 10 GS units with the girnyau version of cgminer that I built from sources, plus Scripta as the web front end. Most of the units are on an Orico P10 U2.

After a disconnect, the device always reconnects a couple of seconds later. This leaves a "zombie" in the API because cgminer doesn't mark the device's status as dead. Sometimes more than one device at a time disconnects.

Here's an example of a disconnect from the log:

Code:
[2014-04-06 06:45:03] Stratum from pool 0 detected new block                    
[2014-04-06 06:45:03] GSD 8 SendWork usb write err:(-7) LIBUSB_ERROR_TIMEOUT                   
[2014-04-06 06:45:03] work prepare failed, exiting mining thread 8                   
[2014-04-06 06:45:05] Device found, firmware version 01140113, driver version v3.8.5.20140210.02                   

The errors are *always* in the "prepare_work" method of the driver. In the sources, the function name is gridseed_prepare_work. I never see any other USB errors in the log. I've reviewed the various Linux system logs but don't see a correlation to the problem there.

When this error happens, the thread associated with the device exits. But the code doesn't mark the device as dead. That, in combination with the way that Scripta detects "live" devices by verifying that the last 5 second hash value is non-zero, results in irritating and bogus device info and hash rate totals in the web front end.

I don't have a spare 10 port hub, so I can't swap that out. I do have some poorly behaving Gridseeds that have excessive hardware failures, so I've tried further under-clocking them. But I still get disconnects.

One thing I've noticed is that all of the failures in the log are aligned on 5 minute boundaries within a few seconds. Here's the most recent ones:

Code:
[2014-04-05 13:45:03] GSD 6 SendWork usb write err:(-7) LIBUSB_ERROR_TIMEOUT
[2014-04-05 20:35:02] GSD 9 SendWork usb write err:(-7) LIBUSB_ERROR_TIMEOUT                   
[2014-04-06 02:35:03] GSD 5 SendWork usb write err:(-7) LIBUSB_ERROR_TIMEOUT                   
[2014-04-06 05:10:03] GSD 10 SendWork usb write err:(-7) LIBUSB_ERROR_TIMEOUT                   
[2014-04-06 05:55:03] GSD 12 SendWork usb write err:(-7) LIBUSB_ERROR_TIMEOUT                   
[2014-04-06 06:45:03] GSD 8 SendWork usb write err:(-7) LIBUSB_ERROR_TIMEOUT                   
[2014-04-06 07:40:04] GSD 13 SendWork usb write err:(-7) LIBUSB_ERROR_TIMEOUT                   

Scripta has several cron jobs that run on 5 minute boundaries. Most of the cron jobs call the cgminer API for status, which should be harmless.

But the timing of these events is very suspect. I'm starting to think that there's a cgminer race condition where sometimes an API status call can interfere with the general operation of cgminer.

As a binary chop, I'm going to try disabling the Scripta cron jobs to see if the problem goes away.

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'm all ears...

Was I helpful?   BTC: 3G1Ubof5u8K9iJkM8We2f3amYZgGVdvpHr
Pages: « 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 »
  Print  

Jump to: