Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:03:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [GUIDE] GridSeed GC3355 5 Chip Setup/power/windows/linux/rpi by UnicornHasher  (Read 365535 times)
dyland

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

We must become the pitiless censors of ourselves.

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 06:22:54 PM

return GRIDSEED_HASH_SPEED * (double)elapsed_ms * (double)(info->freq * info->chips);

Cheater  Grin

hey, it's not like I advertised a new way of speeding up those units Smiley set the chips variable to above 5 by mistake, was a bit puzzled by the results till I started digging.

Hold, on, so what does this mean exactly? That we can get 500+kHash on 744kHz?

Blackcoin ~ 10 second transactions (fastest coin) ~ 100% proof of stake (the first) ~ No wasteful mining (most efficient)
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 06:32:29 PM

return GRIDSEED_HASH_SPEED * (double)elapsed_ms * (double)(info->freq * info->chips);

Cheater  Grin

hey, it's not like I advertised a new way of speeding up those units Smiley set the chips variable to above 5 by mistake, was a bit puzzled by the results till I started digging.

Hold, on, so what does this mean exactly? That we can get 500+kHash on 744kHz?

No, it's a bug in how cgminer displays hashrate. It seems that the actual hashrate is 5/8ths of that (~300 KH/s)
sandor111

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 06:35:28 PM

The new LightningAsic controller firmware is released, please see: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=554542.0

edonkey
Legendary

Activity: 1150
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 11:25:11 PM
Last edit: April 03, 2014, 01:47:09 AM by edonkey

I'm on a Raspberry Pi running 10 GS units with the dtbartle version of cgminer that I built from sources. It's been running for about a week.

Today I noticed that Scripta was reporting that I have 16 devices when I only have 10. Further, it's telling me that I have hash power that is impossible.

When I go to the command line and ask cgminer to list the number of units, it comes back with the correct number of 10. However, when I run a little python script I wrote to get status from the cgminer API, it comes back and tells me that I have 16 devices.

I know that I can just bounce cgminer and it should get back to normal. But it would be nice if it would just work.

Again, this is the first time in a week that I've seen this. Although since I've been setting up and tweaking this rig, I don't think I've had cgminer running for more than a couple of days at a stretch. Currently it's been running for about 32 hours.

Any ideas, other than the obvious work around of restarting cgminer?

Was I helpful?   BTC: 3G1Ubof5u8K9iJkM8We2f3amYZgGVdvpHr
suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 03:17:12 AM

I'm on a Raspberry Pi running 10 GS units with the dtbartle version of cgminer that I built from sources. It's been running for about a week.

Today I noticed that Scripta was reporting that I have 16 devices when I only have 10. Further, it's telling me that I have hash power that is impossible.

When I go to the command line and ask cgminer to list the number of units, it comes back with the correct number of 10. However, when I run a little python script I wrote to get status from the cgminer API, it comes back and tells me that I have 16 devices.

I know that I can just bounce cgminer and it should get back to normal. But it would be nice if it would just work.

Again, this is the first time in a week that I've seen this. Although since I've been setting up and tweaking this rig, I don't think I've had cgminer running for more than a couple of days at a stretch. Currently it's been running for about 32 hours.

Any ideas, other than the obvious work around of restarting cgminer?

Most likely six of your devices disconnected and reconnected, cgminer correctly picked them up but also kept the old zombies. It's harmless, just the hashrate calculation is skewed. As for why this happened - maybe the hub is having issues. If you have a spare hub you can do some testing otherwise don't worry about it.
edonkey
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 02:06:30 PM

Most likely six of your devices disconnected and reconnected, cgminer correctly picked them up but also kept the old zombies. It's harmless, just the hashrate calculation is skewed. As for why this happened - maybe the hub is having issues. If you have a spare hub you can do some testing otherwise don't worry about it.

Thanks for getting back to me. That's a good explanation. I don't have a spare hub at the moment, unfortunately.

I guess what I can do for now is look at the log for disconnect/reconnect events. That would at least confirm what's happening.

Too bad that cgminer and/or Scripta doesn't do a better job of reporting these issues. But as long as it's not trying to give work to zombies, I agree that's it's harmless.

Note that one of my GS units never shows the red LED on. Only the green LED is on. Searching indicates that that means this unit is not receiving 12 volt power.

If this one unit is really not receiving 12 volt power, then it must be powered by the USB bus. The USB hub is a powered Orico P10 U2. But under the hood these Orico's are actually have two hubs with different power characteristics. Perhaps the additional power draw of the bad GS unit is crapping out the sub-hub in the Orico.

I can probably experiment with moving the bad unit's USB cable to the other internal hub in the hopes that it will have less of an impact. Of course the real solution is to replace the unit. I'm working on getting an RMA.

dyland

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 04:05:46 PM

somehow i was given UK plugs with my LA3M order.  Huh Huh Huh

I'm in Canada (NA standard plug)--anyone know what my options are for the plugs?

Blackcoin ~ 10 second transactions (fastest coin) ~ 100% proof of stake (the first) ~ No wasteful mining (most efficient)
jamieb81

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 04:39:56 PM

I'm in Canada (NA standard plug)--anyone know what my options are for the plugs?

cut it and make your own plug on it?
suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 05:55:10 PM

You can use something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080SE6H2

Or DIY as jamieb81 suggested.
suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 05:56:29 PM

Thanks for getting back to me. That's a good explanation. I don't have a spare hub at the moment, unfortunately.

I guess what I can do for now is look at the log for disconnect/reconnect events. That would at least confirm what's happening.

Too bad that cgminer and/or Scripta doesn't do a better job of reporting these issues. But as long as it's not trying to give work to zombies, I agree that's it's harmless.

Note that one of my GS units never shows the red LED on. Only the green LED is on. Searching indicates that that means this unit is not receiving 12 volt power.

If this one unit is really not receiving 12 volt power, then it must be powered by the USB bus. The USB hub is a powered Orico P10 U2. But under the hood these Orico's are actually have two hubs with different power characteristics. Perhaps the additional power draw of the bad GS unit is crapping out the sub-hub in the Orico.

I can probably experiment with moving the bad unit's USB cable to the other internal hub in the hopes that it will have less of an impact. Of course the real solution is to replace the unit. I'm working on getting an RMA.

I don't think it can hash at all without 12V. Is it even submitting shares? You should probably just disconnect it until you get a replacement.
jamieb81

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 06:21:47 PM

I don't think it can hash at all without 12V. Is it even submitting shares? You should probably just disconnect it until you get a replacement.

It does not work without 12V why would we need PSU's if it would ^^
CartmanSPC
Legendary

Activity: 1270
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 07:28:26 PM

Would you mind posting an updated screencap with a longer run time and details on your config?  That's a remarkable hashrate for only 744mhz...

-EMoomjean

There you go , http://imgur.com/eRItNxl .

So how did you achieve that?

And are you using

https://github.com/dtbartle/cgminer-gc3355/commits/master

or

https://github.com/girnyau/cgminer-gc3355/commits/master

?
(BTW, anybody knows which one of the two cgminer repos is better?)

I wouldn't say one is better than the other.

girnyau forked from dtbatle to add some additional freq and a per miner freq option (which is nice).

Since then dtbartle has taken out the hard coded freq and added stepping in increments of 25 and other stuff. Would be nice if he changed it to increments of 5.

Took a quick look at the code but it didn't look obvious to me how to do that.
Code:
		// Support frequency increments of 25.
pll_f = info->freq / GRIDSEED_F_IN - 1;
pll_f = MAX(0, MIN(127, pll_f));

If I could figure out stepping in increments of 5 I would fork dtbartle combining the per miner option of girnyau.

CartmanSPC
Legendary

Activity: 1270
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 07:32:51 PM

Ok, not sure where to post this so for lack of a better place I will put it here for discussion:

KNC is now specifying a MINIMUM of 250 Mh/s for 10K or $40 per 1 Mh/s! Compare that price to performance cost to the Gridseed 5 chip miners (360 Kh/s) and they should be selling for $14.40 each  Shocked

Supposedly KNC is shipping Q2/Q3 2014 but by that time they may increase the hashrate yet again (originally specified at 100 Mh/s about two weeks ago?).
If KNC wasn't a reputable company I would call BS.

I find myself hard pressed to order more Gridseeds at $165/piece  Huh

Just had a thought...wonder if KNC announced their hash rates to slow down Gridseed sales? Would be interesting to know if it had an affect on the sale of Gridseeds and GPUs. I know it stopped me from buying more.

dyland

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 08:06:37 PM

wolfey,

how much do you think I can overclock the gridseed by doing just the pencil mod and bridge mod? the last remaining mod is a bit out of my leage,

and you are a continent away so I cannot send them over to you that would be really not cost effective haha^^

The resistor mod is necessary to clock over 950MHz stably. Especially to even get 1000mhz to be stable and pretty much hw error free.
But, if you can do the solder bridge, you should be able to do the resistor replacement just as easily.

Best performance is with all 4 mods. That's just the way it is if you don't want to have to put up with red nuisances 'nonce's' Wink

Wolfey2014

could you show me what resistor I can use or buy on ebay for example? I'm in Spain and here the local electronic shops are pretty hard to find.

http://www.jameco.com/1/3/resistor-1-8w

If there is anyone in the Toronto area with the expertise to perform these HW mods for me it is much appreciated. I will compensate of course. Also need help with setup. Have 10 units and rasp pi with cgminer already compiled. I am a total newb to pi and everything, read through threads a bunch of times but I need to save time on the weekend to be with my family.

jamieb81

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 08:24:38 PM

Ok, not sure where to post this so for lack of a better place I will put it here for discussion:

KNC is now specifying a MINIMUM of 250 Mh/s for 10K or $40 per 1 Mh/s! Compare that price to performance cost to the Gridseed 5 chip miners (360 Kh/s) and they should be selling for $14.40 each  Shocked

Supposedly KNC is shipping Q2/Q3 2014 but by that time they may increase the hashrate yet again (originally specified at 100 Mh/s about two weeks ago?).
If KNC wasn't a reputable company I would call BS.

I find myself hard pressed to order more Gridseeds at $165/piece  Huh

Just had a thought...wonder if KNC announced their hash rates to slow down Gridseed sales? Would be interesting to know if it had an affect on the sale of Gridseeds and GPUs. I know it stopped me from buying more.

That is actually a pretty good point and valid!

I can tell you it does slow down the gridseed sales. I know someone that was going to order an amount of 600 of them and is now going to buy much much less and invest it into pre orders.

I wish I could get them at 165$ but here in Europe it's more 165€ and above! more often 200 if you buy by the unti
edonkey
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 09:35:41 PM

According to the cgminer API and Scripta, it is submitting shares. When I first noticed that the red LED was off this weekend, it appeared that that unit's utility numbers were down. But since it was working to some degree, I just left it running.

I just checked it again and it's performing roughly the same as all the other units.

It surprised me too that it would do *anything* without 12 volt power, but it appears to be working. Maybe it is getting 12 volts, but the LED isn't working. I know that there's nothing wrong with the 12 volt power cable because I checked it with a meter.

Anyway, after the zombie incidents yesterday and this morning, I managed to find an old, unused powered USB 2 hub. I moved the affected unit to that hub. Haven't seen any zombies since. Of course it hasn't been long enough to be definitive, so I'm keeping an eye on things.

healthandwealth

Activity: 138

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 02:16:02 AM

Not to be a troll...but after reading extensively on getting a gridseed setup...ROI looks to be 6-8 months...well after the high powered ASICs arrive.  Is buying gridseeds really worth it?
suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 02:49:29 AM

Not to be a troll...but after reading extensively on getting a gridseed setup...ROI looks to be 6-8 months...well after the high powered ASICs arrive.  Is buying gridseeds really worth it?

In a way it's a bet (and proven to be a fairly good one) that the aforementioned high-powered ASICs will be late. I think the saying is: a megahash in the hand is worth two in the bush (or something like that).
jamieb81

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 02:51:26 AM

In a way it's a bet (and proven to be a fairly good one) that the aforementioned high-powered ASICs will be late. I think the saying is: a megahash in the hand is worth two in the bush (or something like that).

True and KNC will most certainly deliver late already as I've seen on the forums. Some kind of month were they don't work or so
dyland

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 02:58:33 AM

I got EU power or something....is it OK if I use a ten amp 12.5V power cord with this setup that I have lying around? It has the bluish green, black and white wires just like the guide. thanks in advance.

Pages: « 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 »
  Print  

Jump to: