Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:08:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Algorithmically placed FPGA miner: 255MH/s/chip, supports all known boards  (Read 119415 times)
Dexter770221
Legendary

Activity: 1029
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 07:34:09 AM

I had similiar idea, payment with hashing power. But little bit different way. Discounts. You're byuing with 10% discount but 10% of hashing power comes to my account....

Under development Modular UPGRADEABLE Miner (MUM). Looking for investors.
Changing one PCB with screwdriver and you have brand new miner in hand... Plug&Play, scalable from one module to thousands.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 07:43:22 AM

...now THAT is interesting.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2012, 09:03:32 AM

But 270mh/sec? I wonder what the amps on that is.

Yes; I should address this.  I need to apologize for the slightly imprecise nature of the performance figures at this exact moment… there's a bit of a background story here that doesn't really fit into the website.

When I started the "countdown clock" I genuinely believed that 255MH/s was the limit for this design.  Then, a few days after starting the clock, I unexpectedly stumbled across a way to free up another 8 SLICEL's and how to keep a bunch of the SLICEX->SLICEL routes from leaving the switchbox.  These changes had a ripple effect on routing congestion, and made a massive, massive, massive difference.  It was great that I was getting these unexpected improvements, but exploiting this new stuff wreaked havoc on my timeline and schedule.  I didn't want to change the deadline, so during the last week I've spent very little time in the lab actually running this stuff and checking power/heat/etc and most of my time in front of fpga_editor.  And the last day or so has been really crazy getting the website and signcryption network deployed.  Anyways, the bottom line is that this is all going to come into much clearer focus over the course of the next week, and my "lame excuse" for not having everything neat-and-tidy when midnight hit is the major performance improvement compared to what I thought I was going to get when I initially set the deadline.

Plus, hes going to have to make an Artix 7 or whatever core as well.

Already done that.  It isn't tuned, but I'll definitely have an Artix-7 bitstream the day they ship the chips (whenever that is…).  Porting this design to other Xilinx devices is really easy.  Porting to other fpga architectures like Altera would be a major effort.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
DiabloD3
Legendary

Activity: 1162

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2012, 09:12:16 AM

But 270mh/sec? I wonder what the amps on that is.

Yes; I should address this.  I need to apologize for the slightly imprecise nature of the performance figures at this exact moment… there's a bit of a background story here that doesn't really fit into the website.

When I started the "countdown clock" I genuinely believed that 255MH/s was the limit for this design.  Then, a few days after starting the clock, I unexpectedly stumbled across a way to free up another 8 SLICEL's and how to keep a bunch of the SLICEX->SLICEL routes from leaving the switchbox.  These changes had a ripple effect on routing congestion, and made a massive, massive, massive difference.  It was great that I was getting these unexpected improvements, but exploiting this new stuff wreaked havoc on my timeline and schedule.  I didn't want to change the deadline, so during the last week I've spent very little time in the lab actually running this stuff and checking power/heat/etc and most of my time in front of fpga_editor.  And the last day or so has been really crazy.  Anyways, the bottom line is that this is all going to come into much clearer focus over the course of the next week, and my "lame excuse" for not having everything neat-and-tidy when midnight hit is the major performance improvement compared to what I thought I was going to get when I initially set the deadline.

Plus, hes going to have to make an Artix 7 or whatever core as well.

Already done that.  It isn't tuned, but I'll definitely have an Artix-7 bitstream the day they ship the chips (whenever that is…).  Porting this design to other Xilinx devices is really easy.  Porting to other fpga architectures like Altera would be a major effort.

If you can manage to eldentyrell BFL's ASIC with 28nm FPGAs... this will have come full circle.

arklan
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 09:14:56 AM

28nm fpga's out doing BFL's asic... man, if that's actually potentially possible (which by all i've read seems it's a bit of a toss up right now) the next 6 months or so are gonna prove fascinating.

eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2012, 09:15:09 AM

If you can manage to eldentyrell BFL's ASIC with 28nm FPGAs... this will have come full circle.

Assuming their ASIC actually exists.  And also assuming that when they say "ASIC" they don't really mean "old FPGA" like the last time they said they had an ASIC.  I've been mining with Virtex-II Pros for a month now and I don't go around telling people that I have ASICs...

Fool me once, shame on you -- fool me twice...

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
DiabloD3
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2012, 09:23:34 AM

Assuming their ASIC actually exists.  And also assuming that when they say "ASIC" they don't really mean "old FPGA" like the last time they said they had an ASIC.  Fool me once, shame on you -- fool me twice...

If they can deliver on their promise of a Single 2.0 that does less than 50w and is as fast or faster than existing Singles, then I'll let them slide on it. Cost isn't an issue if we can't get the average person to buy dedicated Bitcoin mining hardware and proudly display it on their desk and show it to others, no matter who manufactures it.

People need skin in the game.

nedbert9

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Inactive

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 12:22:30 PM

I dislike the approach of a perpetual transaction based relationship.

The profit potential of this is too big (if BFL doesn't take too many operations)

I sense greed.
arklan
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 12:56:04 PM

while i wouldn't throw a term like greed around lightly, (we're all here mining bitcoins intending to make money after all, aren't we?) the potential for the commision could be substantial, yea. but then, as the last couple weeks clearly show, there could be some other development just around the corner that leads to everyone dropping this bitstream over night, since it's freely available software. no one's going to hesitate to update ot the next big bitstream. i don't hold any kind of malice towards somone wanting to make what they can from their work, while they can, knowing it could evaproate like that.

norulezapply

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 01:24:25 PM

The profit potential of this is too big (if BFL doesn't take too many operations)

I sense greed.

Well it is essentially "free"... And don't forget tricone-mining has to maintain the signing servers as well.

What would you prefer? A monthly license for 0.25BTC? I know I'd pay that. Because that's the equivilant you're paying for using the bitstream at the moment.

He/she/they have obviously put a lot of work into this and no-one is forcing you to use it.

I sense greed in you nedbert9, if anyone. (no offense intended)
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 02:20:17 PM

So just out of curiosity: Is it possible to run this stream on the BFL Singles and get more hashes out of them?
(And if so, who will be the first to report the succes? Smiley)

rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 02:25:27 PM
Last edit: June 01, 2012, 02:44:32 PM by rjk

So just out of curiosity: Is it possible to run this stream on the BFL Singles and get more hashes out of them?
No, the singles don't use XC6SLX150 chips, so it isn't compatible.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
DiabloD3
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2012, 02:32:26 PM

No, they don't use Spartan 6s.

nedbert9

Activity: 252

Inactive

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 02:54:04 PM

I sense greed.

Well it is essentially "free"... And don't forget tricone-mining has to maintain the signing servers as well.

What would you prefer? A monthly license for 0.25BTC? I know I'd pay that. Because that's the equivilant you're paying for using the bitstream at the moment.

He/she/they have obviously put a lot of work into this and no-one is forcing you to use it.

I sense greed in you nedbert9, if anyone. (no offense intended)

I'm only trying to point out consequences of following scenario if, and some big if's I agree, the following conditions are satisfied.
This is supported by some very simple math and, maybe, an optimistic attitude towards the future health of bitcoin.

Please consider what would happen if

1.  GPU miners were displaced by FPGA's.  GPU's being utterly obsoleted will happen.  (BFL's impact can screw with this in a big way, of course.)
2.  EldenTyrell is everpresent with commission based bitstreams for future FPGA processes.  Setting a precedent for bitstream performance / pricing.  Which FPGA miner would not sign up?  Not many IMHO.
3.  FPGA's represent an ever increasing percentage of total network hash rate.  What is the upperbound on this?  Any forum member with deeper experience of FPGA penetration is invited to comment.
4.  BTC/USD is healthy whether a steady incline or violent increases.

A 5% hash share commission on current and future FPGA processes could equate to substantial amount of cash.

If the situation is entirely optimistic towards BTC, FPGA's and EldenTyrell this could turn in to a situation where the amount compensated greatly outweighs the skill, experience and time committed to develop the bitstream(s).  At that point we would be paying for the privilege of mining with EldenTyrell's bitstream rather than a fair compensation for his work.

It's folly to not negotiate, and renegotiate, commission based sales.  Why?  Things change.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 02:57:20 PM

Things change.
One of the next upcoming changes is a huge difficulty spike and FPGAa becoming irrelevant because of ASICs. I'm pretty sure that eldentyrell is going to make LESS from this scheme than if he sold it outright. But we will see.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
norulezapply

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 03:17:44 PM

Things change.
One of the next upcoming changes is a huge difficulty spike and FPGAa becoming irrelevant because of ASICs. I'm pretty sure that eldentyrell is going to make LESS from this scheme than if he sold it outright. But we will see.

Personally I'm hoping/speculating that that won't be for atleast another year yet.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 03:38:36 PM

Things change.

Personally I'm hoping/speculating that that won't be for atleast another year yet.
I think this is the perfect subject for a bet. Does anyone have good ideas for a bulletproof statement that we can gamble on for this?

cablepair

Activity: 896

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2012, 03:50:57 PM

I'm willing to bet 100 BTC that ASICs will be the first mining hardware to be rendered useless by Bitcoin developers.

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 03:52:14 PM

I'm willing to bet 100 BTC that ASICs will be the first mining hardware to be rendered useless by Bitcoin developers.

LOL
No I was thinking something like "Bitcoin difficulty will be over x by this date x"

cablepair

Activity: 896

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2012, 03:57:17 PM

LOL
No I was thinking something like "Bitcoin difficulty will be over x by this date x"

Wink lol ok ok

Personally I would like to see a repeat of last summer, Lets hit $30 a coin just in time for something catastrophic to happen and knock it down to $2

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »
  Print  

Jump to: