Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:56:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 86 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GridSeed 5-chip USB miner voltage mod  (Read 156979 times)
jamieb81

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 12:24:53 AM

Can you set individual frequencies in BFGminer as well on windows?

I have ran CPUminer for a few hours and now BFGminer, and somehow hasrate seems to be better on the pool side with BFGminer

I don't want to put the Zadig drivers on here, real easy plug and play with both CPUminer and BFGminer.

Only I don't know if I should add extra settings in BFGminer, right now I'm using this type of command line ( xxx is just to hide usernames )

should there be a difficulty setting or I don't know, BFG has alot of options that I don't understand.

example :

bfgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://gld.hashfaster.com:3336 -u xxx.xxx -p x -d gridseed -S gridseed:all --set-device gridseed:clock=850

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wolfey2014

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2014, 12:31:27 AM

80/100 Modded.  I had one GS that was bad pre-mod and I just never noticed until I modded it.  There is a small bump on one of the chips and it just freezes after about a minute.  It is getting replaced.

Tomorrow once I get the rest modded I will start fine tuning them and see how fast each one will go.

The rework station is 50 times easier than using a soldering iron.  I kept blowing the chips off until I started using flux.  I can mod one of these in less than 2 minutes now.  The hardest part is removing the screws.

Then you must really suck with a pencil iron!  Shocked
I can beat any hot air gunner with my pencil iron on this mod....anyone!  Grin

I Modify Miners Professionally! PM me for details!
wobbzz

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 12:47:41 AM

Modded 50 seeds with the 47k resistor swap over the last few days (only had spare time in the evenings) with a pencil tip soldering iron. Towards the end I had a good enough system down to where I did 18 seeds in just a couple of hours.

Things that helped me along the way:
- cheap-o soldering flux from radio shack. I put a dab on each resistor before I removed the old one. The flux will help the resistor snap into place. It's amazing.
- Pencil tip for the soldering iron
- This 0402 resistor youtube video. I mainly used his trick to remove the resistor. Practice on some old electronics you don't care about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M5tGf9bY6A
- Fine tip tweezers - used these to hold the resistor in place while I tapped one end into position with residual solder on the iron
- This magnifying headset so I could examine my soldering points
http://www.amazon.com/SE-MH1047L-Illuminated-Multipower-Magnifier/dp/B003UCODIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397090169&sr=8-1&keywords=magnifying+headset
- An old printer that I took apart to practice on some 0402 components before working on the seeds.

I also screwed up a couple of them along the way just by not having a good enough connection to the resistor. No fear, nothing damaged they all work fine after fixing the resistor:
- On one of the seeds the lights started tweaking as soon as I plugged in the usb. I actually had to completely replace the resistor. I may have destroyed it. The seed is working fine with a new resistor.
- On another one I must have not soldered one end of the resistor, so there wasn't an electrical connection. It turned on fine and I even had cgminer running on it for about half an hour waiting for some shares to be accepted. I waited, and waited, nothing. Then finally I took a closer look with the headset and noticed one end looked a little light on solder. I added a bit and that was all it needed. Works fine now.

Overall it was a cool experience. I have never soldered 0402 before. This was pretty fun. Now everything is hashing away at 1150mhz. Oh, I also left the fans in place. These things get warm to the touch with this mod so a bit of airflow can only help.

z2z me @ zs18642322h0h7hzjknejehavx0srwmungl8uj0t3vsxd7jwzr2kdhrcj38setn7ujd500fqn99y52
wobbzz

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 12:49:42 AM

80/100 Modded.  I had one GS that was bad pre-mod and I just never noticed until I modded it.  There is a small bump on one of the chips and it just freezes after about a minute.  It is getting replaced.

Tomorrow once I get the rest modded I will start fine tuning them and see how fast each one will go.

The rework station is 50 times easier than using a soldering iron.  I kept blowing the chips off until I started using flux.  I can mod one of these in less than 2 minutes now.  The hardest part is removing the screws.

Nice job. I ordered a rework station but grew impatient. I actually got the station in the mail today but just decided to finish the last 18 by hand because I already had a good system down. You have your work cut out for you. I did 50, can't imagine doing double that  Wink

z2z me @ zs18642322h0h7hzjknejehavx0srwmungl8uj0t3vsxd7jwzr2kdhrcj38setn7ujd500fqn99y52
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2014, 01:08:01 AM

Modded 50 seeds with the 47k resistor swap over the last few days (only had spare time in the evenings) with a pencil tip soldering iron. Towards the end I had a good enough system down to where I did 18 seeds in just a couple of hours.

Things that helped me along the way:
- cheap-o soldering flux from radio shack. I put a dab on each resistor before I removed the old one. The flux will help the resistor snap into place. It's amazing.
- Pencil tip for the soldering iron
- This 0402 resistor youtube video. I mainly used his trick to remove the resistor. Practice on some old electronics you don't care about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M5tGf9bY6A
- Fine tip tweezers - used these to hold the resistor in place while I tapped one end into position with residual solder on the iron
- This magnifying headset so I could examine my soldering points
http://www.amazon.com/SE-MH1047L-Illuminated-Multipower-Magnifier/dp/B003UCODIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397090169&sr=8-1&keywords=magnifying+headset
- An old printer that I took apart to practice on some 0402 components before working on the seeds.

I also screwed up a couple of them along the way just by not having a good enough connection to the resistor. No fear, nothing damaged they all work fine after fixing the resistor:
- On one of the seeds the lights started tweaking as soon as I plugged in the usb. I actually had to completely replace the resistor. I may have destroyed it. The seed is working fine with a new resistor.
- On another one I must have not soldered one end of the resistor, so there wasn't an electrical connection. It turned on fine and I even had cgminer running on it for about half an hour waiting for some shares to be accepted. I waited, and waited, nothing. Then finally I took a closer look with the headset and noticed one end looked a little light on solder. I added a bit and that was all it needed. Works fine now.

Overall it was a cool experience. I have never soldered 0402 before. This was pretty fun. Now everything is hashing away at 1150mhz. Oh, I also left the fans in place. These things get warm to the touch with this mod so a bit of airflow can only help.

Heh heh! Good job! Wink Pencil irons rule!  Grin

wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2014, 01:09:14 AM

Can you set individual frequencies in BFGminer as well on windows?

I have ran CPUminer for a few hours and now BFGminer, and somehow hasrate seems to be better on the pool side with BFGminer

I don't want to put the Zadig drivers on here, real easy plug and play with both CPUminer and BFGminer.

Only I don't know if I should add extra settings in BFGminer, right now I'm using this type of command line ( xxx is just to hide usernames )

should there be a difficulty setting or I don't know, BFG has alot of options that I don't understand.

example :

bfgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://gld.hashfaster.com:3336 -u xxx.xxx -p x -d gridseed -S gridseed:all --set-device gridseed:clock=850

Go Jamie go!

smracer
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1055
Merit: 1020

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 01:51:00 AM

for the first 10 I did I used a regular soldering iron with a magnifying glass while holding a flashlight.  They took a while.

I bought a pencil iron but once I got the hang of the hot air station I didn't even care to try the pencil iron.

amix

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 03:18:09 AM

for the first 10 I did I used a regular soldering iron with a magnifying glass while holding a flashlight.  They took a while.

I bought a pencil iron but once I got the hang of the hot air station I didn't even care to try the pencil iron.

yeah defo air air station. i soldered smd  - not 0402 - wiht soldering iron, and its so much easier nicer even and quicker to solder smd resistors wiht hot air. seriously though wiht my station i only need to use one hand. and thats to hold the tweezers to lift the resistor off.
i found on mine about 230 c goes nicely, the next one i do - probably over weekend ill set the camera tripod and macro lense up.

wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2014, 03:30:59 AM

yeah defo air air station. i soldered smd  - not 0402 - wiht soldering iron, and its so much easier nicer even and quicker to solder smd resistors wiht hot air. seriously though wiht my station i only need to use one hand. and thats to hold the tweezers to lift the resistor off.
i found on mine about 230 c goes nicely, the next one i do - probably over weekend ill set the camera tripod and macro lense up.

The more I read you're experiences, the more I like the hot air station.....never used one, well after my glory days on the bench in a commercial facility stuffing pcb's...
Sounds nice! Cool! Another toy! Wink

simon66

Activity: 423

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 06:32:32 AM

The more I read you're experiences, the more I like the hot air station.....never used one, well after my glory days on the bench in a commercial facility stuffing pcb's...

Hot air gun is amazing! I got a cheapo one (Yihua 858D). Prob fake but it does the job. My only issue is that I don't know what temp to put it at or how to properly remove SMD components :/
nemercry

Activity: 339

Vice versa is not a meal.

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 08:02:40 AM

Dude, you either have amazing units or your cgminer is wrong. Even at stock freq I get rejects. Either or, nice setup. I tried running my grids of my raspbery but no luck.

I assume he replaced the blue cooling pads with an actual working one or non conductive thermal paste.
I tried it myself and this really gives you an increase in hashrate and much more stable operation.

amix

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 02:33:00 PM

must admit my previous soldering irons were cheapish ones - mid range. no temperature control. So i had a bunch of different watt soldering irons. Not to mention different tips, some fitted but none fitted all the irons so annoying. And i had several soldering irons blow on me too, heating element fried type thing. cant cant it or even get new ones, so id been looking to get a temperature controlled one for a while, and when the cheap hot air station i had - used mainly for heat shrinking tubing Smiley - went as well i decided that i was gonna get new and upgrade. Then the bitcoin fase entered and i started modding the the sticks, after doing many resistor swaps i thought hot air station got to be easier way to do this. bit of online research and invested in the whole deal complete reworking station. has temperature controlled soldering iron - arrgh so sweet itself  - air hot mounted gun, temperature probe and surface pre heater too. Plus it has several arms for irregular PCB shapes - which turned out to be a bounes for the round PCB of the gridseeds. the only thing it was missing was a light and magnifying glass. But that nothing. Oh for those wondering its aoyue. Good name, plenty of spare parts. I thought it was American so i was disappointed to find it was made in china. BUT i must say its one of the few made in china that have quality, you can see straight away from the build quality of it.

here it is : http://www.aoyue.com/en/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=465

Not looked back. For those that are more into doing it with soldering iron, or dont want to invest in a hot air station, i can highly recommend a slot type tip or even better soldering tweezers. that way you can apply the heat to desolder and solder at both points of the smd resistor at the same time. I spotted one and nearly got one myself but ive not used one but think it would be almost as easy as the hot air.

Seriously wolfey2014 get one great toy! Smiley JUST get a quality one - same goes fro anyone investing in a soldering iron - itll last longer more reliable and constant, id say aoyue, or weller, there others as well but i can think of the names of them now. And for those going soldering iron route make sure the iron has interchangeable types the type the slide over the heating element. Provides better heat transfer.

Hot air gun is amazing! I got a cheapo one (Yihua 858D). Prob fake but it does the job. My only issue is that I don't know what temp to put it at or how to properly remove SMD components :/

I did one the other day i found the solder started to give at around a temperature of 230- 240 on the hot air gun, i also plugged in my temperature probe to check the temperature at the surface of the SMD resistor, and it read 230, just as i touched the resistor with the probe it slid out of place across the board. thankfully i didnt knock anything else - still got a bit of a big nozzle on for 0402 series , new nozzle in post. Oh all temperature are in Celsius.

And soldering SMD is totally possible with soldering iron, and this guy makes it look like a walk in the park, serious skill!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uiroWBkdFY

Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 02:36:00 PM

Well after running the pair of units for 12 hours with the newer mod (49.9k) and 12v fans I am seeing good stability so far at 1175Mhz. It has given me around 1Mh/s client side and very near that pool side with only a single HW error for each so far. Power usage is around 22-25W each but electricity is cheap here.

Is it correct what I am seeing on the auto switching pools websites, that profitability is ~0.00420BTC per Mh/s and falling?  That really is rather sorry. Oh well.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
jamieb81

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 03:02:32 PM

Well after running the pair of units for 12 hours with the newer mod (49.9k) and 12v fans I am seeing good stability so far at 1175Mhz. It has given me around 1Mh/s client side and very near that pool side with only a single HW error for each so far. Power usage is around 22-25W each but electricity is cheap here.

Is it correct what I am seeing on the auto switching pools websites, that profitability is ~0.00420BTC per Mh/s and falling?  That really is rather sorry. Oh well.

Yeah BTC had again a big drop after some new chinese exchange closing news..
Ferris419

Activity: 1008
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 03:32:55 PM

Yeah I seen that too! Hope I didn't waste money buying these :-(

Bitcoin is gonna hit 100K usd
sandor111

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2014, 03:35:25 PM

Anyone with an overvolted Gridseed care to test the new per-chip auto-overclocking feature?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=554542.0

amix

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 04:17:14 PM

Anyone with an overvolted Gridseed care to test the new per-chip auto-overclocking feature?
but its only for the controller not cgiminer or bfgminer Sad. SO is the firmware new firmware for the gridseeds or new firmware for the contoller? and i have a TP link 703n, just not modded it yet or flashed it, where can i get an image for flashing it for controllering the grids???
sandor111

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2014, 04:26:08 PM

but its only for the controller not cgiminer or bfgminer Sad. SO is the firmware new firmware for the gridseeds or new firmware for the contoller? and i have a TP link 703n, just not modded it yet or flashed it, where can i get an image for flashing it for controllering the grids???

It will work with Tp-link 703N, just follow the guide on how to flash it. There is cpuminer included, its faster and more efficient at Gridseed mining than cgminer or bfgminer.

jamieb81

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 04:40:14 PM

It will work with Tp-link 703N, just follow the guide on how to flash it. There is cpuminer included, its faster and more efficient at Gridseed mining than cgminer or bfgminer.

nice but the price of an Tp link + wiibox is to expensive to ROI just for that few hasing rate if you do not have an massive amount of gridseeds at home.

If you have just a few, IMHO it's better to buy 1 extra gridseed cheap.
sandor111

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2014, 04:48:56 PM

nice but the price of an Tp link + wiibox is to expensive to ROI just for that few hasing rate if you do not have an massive amount of gridseeds at home.

If you have just a few, IMHO it's better to buy 1 extra gridseed cheap.

Who said you need to buy a Wiibox? Tp-link 703N can be easily had for $20 shipped.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 86 »
  Print  

Jump to: