Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 09:57:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GridSeed 5-chip USB miner voltage mod  (Read 156980 times)
happydaze

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 01:26:04 PM

C42 in photo here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=519112.msg6359210#msg6359210 upper left of center on photo of PCB.  I measured 1.75v there when I added a 15k rmod.

Emu05  - what is, where is R128?
ZiG

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 01:30:05 PM

Ahh, right, for all 3 values you'd need to add a physical switch or jumper. Thanks for catching that Xer0 ...
So, your idea of using a 20k spindle-pot as the resistor is ZiG's rmod would allow all values from 33k to 53k right?

Is this summary correct?
Bridge R333 to allow "voltage=0" or "voltage=1" to be used via some software.
ZiG's rmod ups everything by adding the resistor chosen.
So, if you picked rmod 14k then you get 50k with "voltage=1" or 47k with "voltage=0".
Short this use of Zig's rmod with a jumper or switch then you'd get 36k with "voltage=1" and stock 33k with "voltage=0"

Without software options you'd bridge R333 and also bridge R337 to force "voltage=1" via hardware.
So, if you picked rmod 14k then you get 50k. Short this use of Zig's rmod with a jumper or switch then you'd get 36k.

Without software options and no additional bridges if you picked rmod 14k then you'd get 47k. Short Zig's rmod with a jumper or switch then you'd get 33k.

Bridge R333 to allow use of software voltage switches.
Bridge R333 and R337 to force use of R66 (36k).
Cut  R46 to allow adding resistance in series aka rmod.
Adding a resistor between R46 points will add to R139 (36k) and/or R66 (33k) dependent on your choice of bridges used or bridge and software used.

Yep...that is exactly what is possible...But I will use Vmod 1 bridge and Software to select 33K or 36K...

we are all trying to get better speed and resulting hashes...so Lower speeds by shorting Rmod are really only for "reversing to stock" ...if there is any need...

Trimm pot  = 20K as Rmod... is IDEAL for experimenting and testing...This is what I am using since the beggining...

ZiG
wolfey2014

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2014, 01:40:31 PM

Ahh, right, for all 3 values you'd need to add a physical switch or jumper. Thanks for catching that Xer0 ...
So, your idea of using a 20k spindle-pot as the resistor is ZiG's rmod would allow all values from 33k to 53k right?

Is this summary correct?
Bridge R333 to allow "voltage=0" or "voltage=1" to be used via some software.
ZiG's rmod ups everything by adding the resistor chosen.
So, if you picked rmod 14k then you get 50k with "voltage=1" or 47k with "voltage=0".
Short this use of Zig's rmod with a jumper or switch then you'd get 36k with "voltage=1" and stock 33k with "voltage=0"

Without software options you'd bridge R333 and also bridge R337 to force "voltage=1" via hardware.
So, if you picked rmod 14k then you get 50k. Short this use of Zig's rmod with a jumper or switch then you'd get 36k.

Without software options and no additional bridges if you picked rmod 14k then you'd get 47k. Short Zig's rmod with a jumper or switch then you'd get 33k.

Bridge R333 to allow use of software voltage switches.
Bridge R333 and R337 to force use of R66 (36k).
Cut  R46 to allow adding resistance in series aka rmod.
Adding a resistor between R46 points will add to R139 (36k) and/or R66 (33k) dependent on your choice of bridges used or bridge and software used.

Yep...that is exactly what is possible...But I will use Vmod 1 bridge and Software to select 33K or 36K...

we are all trying to get better speed and resulting hashes...so Lower speeds by shorting Rmod are really only for "reversing to stock" ...if there is any need...

Trimm pot  = 20K as Rmod... is IDEAL for experimenting and testing...This is what I am using since the beggining...

ZiG

I'm gonna enjoy testing this mod to see what performance increase I get or will I get 'Zig's pod clicker mod' results.... We'll see. Wink
There could be a difference between the schematic circuit and the actual pcb circuit which could be the 'secret' culprit behind Zig's clicking pod mod problem.
Remember, the 49.9k R52 mod works. PERIOD! Proven by thousands of mods by now.
No possibility of clicking or other problems later down the road.
Good luck!

I Modify Miners Professionally! PM me for details!
happydaze

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 01:44:10 PM

Yeah, you'd only reverse to stock or maybe VMOD1 if a SHA coin was regularly at the top of the profitability lists.  It seems unlikely but my guess is that there is a lot of older Bitcoin hardware that might be used to mine other SHA-256 coins as Bitcoin difficulty rises and makes the old equipment obsolete.  Just a guess.

btw, VMOD1 is pretty impressive for the low watts used.  413 kH/s 48hr average Scrypt only using sandor's cpuminer.
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2014, 01:50:54 PM

zig modded another Gridseed today to see if the clicking sound is a problem of the first one but the secondone show the same clickung sound. i checked the solder connections no bridge and the ground / R128 test shows the values it should i dont tested the c42 DDV because i dont know which it is any idea ore somone has the same problem / solution fr it ?

Edit: The clicking stopped and so the sending of shares did I killd the gridseed ? where should is search for a point to fix it the chip ar not getting warm at all so i assume they are not calculating

might it help to put it in the oven

I think I saw someone else have this same problem. They did Zig's pod clicker mod, then it started clicking. They re did the solder connections and the clicking sound stopped but the pod was DOA as in no share submittals, not working, nothing! So failing to do the mod 'correctly?' in the first place, may cause PERMANENT damage to your pod!
Just an observation of possibilities.
I'd stick with what is KNOWN to work. R52 mod with 49.9k resistor replacement. So what if it takes a little bit longer to do the mod or reverse the mod later (which will probably NEVER be needed!)
Best for everyone to just do the R52 mod and let your miner mine and and start making you more $/KH instead of sitting on the bench longer or becoming an expensive paper weight!
Remember, R52 mod works as proven by thousands of mods by now! No problems down the road AND, if the R52 mod isn't done right the first time, it won't destroy your pod!
God speed!

happydaze

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 01:58:29 PM

I'm gonna enjoy testing this mod to see what performance increase I get ....................................

Wolfey - stick with what you know how to do.  Don't you already have the best solution for you?  Why would you want to change now?
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2014, 02:16:59 PM

I'm gonna enjoy testing this mod to see what performance increase I get ....................................

Wolfey - stick with what you know how to do.  Don't you already have the best solution for you?  Why would you want to change now?

Yo Happy,
I'm flexible. Not fixated.  Grin
And mostly I want to check Zig's pod clicker/killer mod and see if it's really a viable solution. I don't like reading about others having weird problems with their pods after doing a particular mod that someone didn't thoroughly check out over time before releasing his mod to the public to then become guinea pigs for a lazy researcher. Scary! Thing is, if Zig's mod is killing pods 'even after the end user makes a soldering mistake' that concerns me greatly! I dont' like reading about others having their pods turned into paper weights by some know-best idiot's so called short cut / solution.
Some people offer up a solution that is really just another problem in disguise. I am sure you have run into this before. This seems to be what's happening, at least in some cases. Dangerous and completely unnecessary IMO!

ZiG

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 02:34:03 PM

Yo Happy,
And mostly I want to check Zig's pod clicker/killer mod and see if it's really a viable solution. I don't like reading about others having weird problems with their pods after doing a particular mod that someone didn't thoroughly check out over time before releasing his mod to the public to then become guinea pigs for a lazy researcher. Scary! Thing is, if Zig's mod is killing pods 'even after the end user makes a soldering mistake' that concerns me greatly! I dont' like reading about others having their pods turned into paper weights by some know-best idiot's so called short cut / solution.
Some people offer up a solution that is really just another problem in disguise. I am sure you have run into this before. This seems to be what's happening, at least in some cases. Dangerous and completely unnecessary IMO!

I never had "Clicking sound" problem ...or "kill the Gridseed device"...Have been testing since mid-March...to find the best Voltage/speed/performance out of MY Gridsseds...Posted here only after everything was 100% stable for 24/7...

I Said many times to do "AT YOUR OWN RISK..."...I am NOT watching/checking/testing the quality of everybody's work/soldering/component's values...etc...It is every modder own responsibility...

I am not FORCING anybody to do anything...The decision is YOURS...

And Wolfey can continue with his endless "mental farts"...of course he will... Grin

ZiG
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2014, 02:41:24 PM

Yo Happy,

I never had "Clicking sound" problem ...or "kill the Gridseed device"...Have been testing since mid-March...to find the best Voltage/speed/performance out of MY Gridsseds...Posted here only after everything was 100% stable for 24/7...

I Said many times to do "AT YOUR OWN RISK..."...I am NOT watching/checking/testing the quality of everybody's work/soldering/component's values...etc...It is every modder own responsibility...

I am not FORCING anybody to do anything...The decision is YOURS...

And Wolfey can continue with his endless "mental farts"...of course he will... Grin

ZiG

"mental farts" Cheesy Smelly! But, it's a perfect term for 'Zigs pod clicker/killer mod!" Sure does cause others to have mental farts like, OMG! I trusted Zig's mod to be viable, now look at the mess I'm in and all the time and money I just lost! Yea Zig, YOU caused all of that and no disclaimer will change that fact!
Using "do it at your own risk" is not intended to trick people into being guinea pigs for a lame test that is being purported to be a real solution!

Emu05

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 03:35:36 PM
Last edit: April 27, 2014, 04:18:14 PM by Emu05

I did it beacuse i want to so no blame on zig now i tryed to bring it back to stok but i lost  a pice from the board i guess it is a capacitor 20nf is that correct marked in the Blue circle
http://s7.directupload.net/images/140427/62yq56tp.jpg

And Second Question can i mesure a capacitor with a multimeter ? to find te missing one onanotherplatine
jamieb81

Activity: 308

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 03:39:04 PM

for those in the USA, I just cam across a very good price for a groupbuy

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583755.0

not really a great deal if you ask me...

GAW sells them for $83, right now!

I'm sure once the gen 2 chips come out, these will be DIRT CHEAP

Didn't see the GAW prices yet. went to see their website, they are selling for 130 dollars on GAW

http://www.gawminers.com/300-kh-s-single-gridseed-asic-miner/

yes no doubt that prices will fall real quick, I've got some pre orders at Fibonacci. 8.6Mh for 320$ that's going to kill Gridseed prices fast when those come out.

but here in Europe the gridseeds remain expensive it's hard to get one below 120/130 euros!

Not too hard, I have 100 coming in next week, if I'm not using ebay and paypal, I can do them for 100 euro each + delivery, I'm in the UK. 10 for E950 + delivery. I'd be amazed if I'm the only person selling at those prices.

My plan is to sell most of them in ebay at a small profit, keep 20 for myself, buy another batch etc etc until I'm sick of selling them!

I'm hoping volt modded ones will sell for a nice premium, I'm a  bit dubious about running the full 500kH voltage.

yeah but that is far from the 0.193 BTC per gridseed that they sell them for : 0.193btc = 63€
happydaze

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 04:38:47 PM

I did it beacuse i want to so no blame on zig now i tryed to bring it back to stok but i lost  a pice from the board i guess it is a capacitor 20nf is that correct marked in the Blue circle

And Second Question can i mesure a capacitor with a multimeter ? to find te missing one onanotherplatine

All the docs that I've looked at on Github show 20nf

Reference Designator: C35
Package Symbol: C0402
Component Class: IC
Device Type: C0603_C0402_20NF
Value: 20nF

Some multimeters have "CAP" on the selector switch.  Not all do though.

I hope you can fix it.  It all looks so big in the photos but really most of it so incredibly tiny.  At a minimum for me is to inspect with a good magnifying glass just to see it and even then it can be hard to see if something is bridged or not.  For me ZiG's rmod is "easier" but all the mods are really difficult including ZiG's rmod if you do not have experience.  There have been a few posts about accidentally removing component near what you are working on. 
Emu05

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 04:50:22 PM

Jep and its not easyerto get the capacitor 20nF is very uncommon cant find a shop nearby who has it and i cant find the one that i lost 1 second and your in so much trouble... very shiity with these small sizes...
Unfortionally my multimeter does not have this function otherwise i would checkfor that thing on other old computer parts...
gtraah

Activity: 420

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 05:03:06 PM
Last edit: April 27, 2014, 05:22:57 PM by gtraah

I am now a pro at the SMD 0402 soldering mod I have no need for any other mod, I got too exited and bought 16.9k chips but I have not seen anyone place this on the r46 pads yet and confirm it working local hashrate 510KH yet, although I have seen axial resistors going to another pad apparently the same result as the 2 r46 pads, If these come in the mail and I still have some pods to do I may give it ago otherwise I may have to try sell them once they arrive Let me know if anyone wants this ill give them for the exact amount i bought them for ,  I must admit ai was happy at first cause I was not so good at the tiny operation R52- 0402... but I am very confident now and so far I have done 12 Pods and all ROCK SOLID! it now takes me 5-10 per pod, testing, and thermal paste on the 5 chips + putting it all back together
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2014, 05:38:25 PM

Jep and its not easyerto get the capacitor 20nF is very uncommon cant find a shop nearby who has it and i cant find the one that i lost 1 second and your in so much trouble... very shiity with these small sizes...
Unfortionally my multimeter does not have this function otherwise i would checkfor that thing on other old computer parts...

Right, it can be done with slightly larger components like I did on this one.
It's a 20nf cap in place of an SMD chip I accidentally knocked off during one of my first mods.
But no big deal. I easily corrected it.
See pic.
Wolfey2014

cbutters

Activity: 294

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 09:26:02 PM

Hey all,
I posted a video of doing the actual VMOD3 mod on youtube: http://youtu.be/O146gM52ea8
If I can do it with my poor soldering skills... you can too.
Check it out, it might help those of you contemplating doing the mod to see what is involved.

I used 49.9K resistors because that was all I could readily find. These things got WAY hotter than before, and went from pulling 8.5 watts to upwards of 29 watts after the mod mining 510khash.
I'm thinking I might bump it down to the 47K resistor, 29 watts that theses puppies pull seems excessive for not too much extra return. I'd take 480khash @ 20 watts. (has anyone posted the power consumption on the 47K resistor mod?

Thanks everyone and take a look.
Emu05

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 10:11:35 PM

the spots tosolderare soo small is it possible to solderthe capacor connections to the marked (redarrows) points ? these spots look easyer and as far as i understand the layout its the same than the originalpads can somebody confirm this ? im not sooo good in reading shematics

http://s14.directupload.net/images/140428/moopvg6i.jpg
Xer0

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

°^°

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 10:18:54 PM

(has anyone posted the power consumption on the 47K resistor mod?
22W @ 1.2Ghz
i made a freq/kh/draw table somewhere on the last pages
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2014, 10:44:26 PM

Hey all,
I posted a video of doing the actual VMOD3 mod on youtube: http://youtu.be/O146gM52ea8
Check it out, it might help those of you contemplating doing the mod to see what is involved.

I used 49.9K resistors because that was all I could readily find. These things got WAY hotter than before, and went from pulling 8.5 watts to upwards of 29 watts after the mod mining 510khash.
I'm thinking I might bump it down to the 47K resistor, 29 watts that theses puppies pull seems excessive for not too much extra return. I'd take 480khash @ 20 watts. (has anyone posted the power consumption on the 47K resistor mod?

Nice work, kid!
Now all you gotta do is get the hang of doing the 5V USB mod, which will be a piece of cake compared to the miracle job you just pulled off with common tools Wink Very well done!
Wolfey2014

Bezinga

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 11:50:42 PM

Hey all,

Under the Vmod 3 section of his guide Jesse writes it.
Pages: « 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  

Jump to: