Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 09:50:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 100: Developed Specifically for Non-Profits  (Read 262665 times)
SeansOutpost

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2013, 04:55:37 AM

Ok, I have another non-profit that is willing to accept bitcoin and I think meets our criteria.

This one is very near and dear to my heart, as I am a very big supporter of what Food Not Bombs does.

The FNB-Free Skool is an amazing place. It is a completely free learning institution and skill share in New Mexico. It is run by the founder of Food not bombs.

They are a 501c3

They have, in my opinion, a very worth purpose.

There domain is pretty new. Registered in April. But, you can chalk that up to this organization not giving to much of a shit about their online presence.

http://www.fnb-freeskool.org/give.html

They will add Bitcoin donation links to the site. I just wanted to make sure this was ok with you before I pressed too hard. I didn't want to get them excited for nothing.

What say you?

I run Sean's Outpost a Bitcoin fueled homeless outreach in Pensacola, FL. Over 140,000 meals fed with BTC donations.You can donate to Sean's Outpost at... 38ccq12hPFoiSksxUdr6SQ5VosyjY7s9AU
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SeansOutpost

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2013, 05:15:26 AM

@Bitcoin100 Twitter not active since May. Great opportunity to get some visibility with @khanacademy.
I would be happy to keep things fresh with that kind of stuff. Feel free to make the new guy do all the grunt work. I don't mind.

I run Sean's Outpost a Bitcoin fueled homeless outreach in Pensacola, FL. Over 140,000 meals fed with BTC donations.You can donate to Sean's Outpost at... 38ccq12hPFoiSksxUdr6SQ5VosyjY7s9AU
SeansOutpost

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2013, 05:20:39 AM

And while I'm on a role, this is the next organization I talked to...

The Epilepsy Foundation of Florida
http://www.efof.org/

They meet all our requirements.

501c3

Established org

Established domain

Very nobel cause

They are willing to accept Bitcoin. The funniest part is, I've been having to deal with their treasurer in regards to integrating bitcoin. He's a financial advisor at his day job. He took the opportunity to ask me a crap load of questions about Bitcoin his CLIENTS have been asking him about.

I think getting these guys to accept is a big win.

Thoughts? 

SeansOutpost

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2013, 12:50:54 PM

I just contacted

AquaponisandEarth.org to see if they will accept Bitcoin.

They teach sustainable organic farming methods thru the use of Aquaculture.

Here is their exemption with the State of Texas...

http://aixtcp.cpa.state.tx.us/exemptorgs/address.php?tp_id=32038659309

There is also a MelissaData page on them...

http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/np.asp?ein=300523041

Domain since 2009

Wayback machine from 2009...

http://web.archive.org/web/20090807083309/http://www.aquaponicsandearth.org/

I think these guys need a Bitcoin boost

SeansOutpost

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2013, 01:15:00 PM

Getting that BTC100 love on Reddit...

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1jm1e9/bitcoin100_sends_1000_to_khanacademyorg/

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2013, 09:27:17 PM

And while I'm on a role, this is the next organization I talked to...

The Epilepsy Foundation of Florida
http://www.efof.org/

They meet all our requirements.

501c3

Established org

Established domain

Very nobel cause

They are willing to accept Bitcoin. The funniest part is, I've been having to deal with their treasurer in regards to integrating bitcoin. He's a financial advisor at his day job. He took the opportunity to ask me a crap load of questions about Bitcoin his CLIENTS have been asking him about.

I think getting these guys to accept is a big win.

Thoughts? 

This one is no-brainer. Would love to see them accept.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2013, 09:28:17 PM

I just contacted

AquaponisandEarth.org to see if they will accept Bitcoin.

They teach sustainable organic farming methods thru the use of Aquaculture.

Here is their exemption with the State of Texas...

http://aixtcp.cpa.state.tx.us/exemptorgs/address.php?tp_id=32038659309

There is also a MelissaData page on them...

http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/np.asp?ein=300523041

Domain since 2009

Wayback machine from 2009...

http://web.archive.org/web/20090807083309/http://www.aquaponicsandearth.org/

I think these guys need a Bitcoin boost

This one seems fine, as well.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2013, 09:31:57 PM

Ok, I have another non-profit that is willing to accept bitcoin and I think meets our criteria.

This one is very near and dear to my heart, as I am a very big supporter of what Food Not Bombs does.

The FNB-Free Skool is an amazing place. It is a completely free learning institution and skill share in New Mexico. It is run by the founder of Food not bombs.

They are a 501c3

They have, in my opinion, a very worth purpose.

There domain is pretty new. Registered in April. But, you can chalk that up to this organization not giving to much of a shit about their online presence.

http://www.fnb-freeskool.org/give.html

They will add Bitcoin donation links to the site. I just wanted to make sure this was ok with you before I pressed too hard. I didn't want to get them excited for nothing.

What say you?

I prefer to see the Food not Bombs site accept bitcoins since both sites are operated by the same good guy, Keith McHenry.

Please open up this noble cause for further discussion, pro or con.

~Bruno Kucinskas~
SeansOutpost

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2013, 10:02:55 PM

I prefer to see the Food not Bombs site accept bitcoins since both sites are operated by the same good guy, Keith McHenry.

~Bruno Kucinskas~

Seconded.

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2013, 05:08:39 AM

~Bruno Kucinskas~

Seconded.

Thirded. Says the guy who spent the day building a rail gun  Grin At least it wasn't a bomb.
SeansOutpost

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2013, 05:43:45 AM

~Bruno Kucinskas~

Seconded.

Thirded. Says the guy who spent the day building a rail gun  Grin At least it wasn't a bomb.
Yeah, I did chemical warfare for the US Army...nobodies perfect :-)

I will contact him tomorrow!

Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 03:13:37 AM

Hey everybody!

My girlfriend is the president of the Hastings Law Students for a Sensible Drug Policy.  SSDP is a national non-profit, but I don't think her school chapter is registered as one.  I'm not sure if that matters and she is clarifying with her school.  Any chance you know if chapters count?  They do have a bank account and she is verifying that donations to the club are okay.

If student clubs are allowed to take donations, I plan on opening either a bitinstant (I think they used to do 0 fee for non-profits, but they are offline ATM) or a coinbase account (only .99% and I've met Brian a few times in person).  Do you have any recommendations for another provider?  Coinbase still takes fees for non-profits.

I see on the bitcoin100 website that political groups aren't allowed, but this is more about bringing the topic of sensible drug policy into the public conversation, not about pushing one specific view, although ending prohibition is a stated goal.

Thanks!

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 06:20:04 AM

Hey everybody!

My girlfriend is the president of the Hastings Law Students for a Sensible Drug Policy.  SSDP is a national non-profit, but I don't think her school chapter is registered as one.  I'm not sure if that matters and she is clarifying with her school.  Any chance you know if chapters count?  They do have a bank account and she is verifying that donations to the club are okay.

If student clubs are allowed to take donations, I plan on opening either a bitinstant (I think they used to do 0 fee for non-profits, but they are offline ATM) or a coinbase account (only .99% and I've met Brian a few times in person).  Do you have any recommendations for another provider?  Coinbase still takes fees for non-profits.

I see on the bitcoin100 website that political groups aren't allowed, but this is more about bringing the topic of sensible drug policy into the public conversation, not about pushing one specific view, although ending prohibition is a stated goal.

Thanks!

One thing for sure, the real estate allocated to each donation option is nicely sized: http://ssdp.org/ways-to-donate/

What’s the difference?
One-time, recurring, and membership donations are processed through SSDP’s website using your credit card information.

One-time donations can be made in any amount.

Recurring donations can be made in any amount and any frequency interval (weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly).

Membership donations have fixed amounts and frequency intervals: Sensible Supporters donate $4.20 per month, Sensible Sustainers donate $10.00 per month, Sensible Sponsors donate $25.00 per month, Sensible Superstars donate $100.00 per month. Members of this program will receive donation premium items associated with their membership level. More about Sensible Membership here.

Facebook Causes allows you to make one-time and recurring donations.  If you have  ever used Facebook Causes to make a donation before, it will allow you to use your saved credit card information to quickly donate while logged in. This is the only method that allows for anonymous donations.  The processing fee that we incur is slightly higher than the processing fee for donating through our website.

PayPal is a trusted name in payment processing and many people feel most comfortable using their secure system (Note: donations through our website are also secure). If you have used PayPal in the past, your payment information will be saved so that you would not need to enter it again when making your donation to us.  The processing fee that we incur is slightly higher than the processing fee for donating through our website.

Donations via check can only be received by mail.  This is the only method for which we do not incur any processing fees.

Donations via phone are processed using your credit card information through the same system that we use to take online donations through our website.

Also, as seen above, they're well aware of the cost associated with the simple act of streaming zeros and ones electronically.

For sure, SSDP needs to be opened up for discussion. Please don't take offense if this cause is a no-go, but we'll give it a whirl.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 07:32:56 PM

From Desmond at KhanAcademy:

Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for your generosity - this is the largest bitcoin donation we've received Smiley

I can confirm that we received 9.633 BTC in transaction 5ab5f72a95df407504fac451a867d77036ac8a4ec91f765740a2950b49b98d99.

Unfortunately when you donated the coinbase widget was not working properly, so the transaction did not trigger an email receipt or a badge. I've manually awarded you the badge and you can consider this email as confirmation that we received your donation. Thanks again! Let me know if you need any other information.

Cheers,
Desmond

I'll get a screen grab when I get home.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 07:43:32 PM

Still seeking a discussion on SSDP so that a more informed decision could be made, for there's obvious pros and cons in funding them.

I may or may not feeling that they shouldn't be considered because of their stance on drugs, hence not wanting to influence an outcome based solely on this issue.

They don't seem to be formally registered as a non-profit, but that fact alone is not necessarily a stickler.

They do have a wide audience base.

~100 of its members/readership attend higher education institutes, e.g. Harvard, Yale, Cal Tech (is that one word or two?), etc.

Please weigh in, whether you're a Bitcoin 100 member or not, with at the very least penning a pro or con sans the reasoning, for we're all in this Bitcoin thingie together.

By proxy, the following two bitcoiners have weighed in:

Dank: Yes!
Brother John: Hell, no!

EDIT: Acknowledging Rassah's post above this one.
SeansOutpost

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 07:54:17 PM

From Desmond at KhanAcademy:

Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for your generosity - this is the largest bitcoin donation we've received Smiley

I can confirm that we received 9.633 BTC in transaction 5ab5f72a95df407504fac451a867d77036ac8a4ec91f765740a2950b49b98d99.

Unfortunately when you donated the coinbase widget was not working properly, so the transaction did not trigger an email receipt or a badge. I've manually awarded you the badge and you can consider this email as confirmation that we received your donation. Thanks again! Let me know if you need any other information.

Cheers,
Desmond

I'll get a screen grab when I get home.
That's awesome

SeansOutpost

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 07:58:45 PM

Still seeking a discussion on SSDP so that a more informed decision could be made, for there's obvious pros and cons in funding them.

I may or may not feeling that they shouldn't be considered because of their stance on drugs, hence not wanting to influence an outcome based solely on this issue.

They don't seem to be formally registered as a non-profit, but that fact alone is not necessarily a stickler.

They do have a wide audience base.

~100 of its members/readership attend higher education institutes, e.g. Harvard, Yale, Cal Tech (is that one word or two?), etc.

Please weigh in, whether you're a Bitcoin 100 member or not, with at the very least penning a pro or con sans the reasoning, for we're all in this Bitcoin thingie together.

By proxy, the following two bitcoiners have weighed in:

Dank: Yes!
Brother John: Hell, no!

EDIT: Acknowledging Rassah's post above this one.

I have no problem with funding these guys. Not from any particular pro/anti drug agenda, but because we REALLY do need to have a sensible discussion on drug policy in this country. We spend BILLIONS on enforcing criminalization of a problem and very little on treatment for that same problem. Which just exacerbates the situation.

i can't even tell you how many of the homeless I take care of are casualties of our countries draconian drug rules.

And I think that's the point of that law group. Have a sensible conversation.

I can support that. I will always support having an intelligent conversation over following blindly.

Just my .02btc

BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 08:29:06 PM

I have no objections -- but maybe I'm biased as a Dutch person Cheesy

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2013, 04:36:51 AM

Hello Rassah,
How are you?

Can I recommend a 501c3 non profit for the Bitcoin100 donation?  There is a group that I am trying to get to start using Bitcoin that is in the process of creating their "BTC donate" button.

Generation Green empowers citizens to voice their concerns and implement earth saving actions. Through heightened awareness we encourage wise choices that ensure sustainable living and the preservation of the environment.

Since 1990, Generation Green (a 501c3) has sought to inform and encourage environmental action in CCC. Generation Green has hosted dozens of workshops and attended countless events. Our efforts have reached all segments of the community. From local arts and crafts classes to attendance at City Council meetings—our goal is to educate all residents in the county about environmental issues.

http://www.generationgreen.com/

I just wanted to run it by you first before they set up they start accepting BTC.  What is the best process for them to follow to qualify for the Bitcoin100 donation?

Thanks!

August

Not sure what to make of this one. Thoughts?
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2013, 10:41:43 AM

Hello Rassah,
How are you?

Can I recommend a 501c3 non profit for the Bitcoin100 donation?  There is a group that I am trying to get to start using Bitcoin that is in the process of creating their "BTC donate" button.

Generation Green empowers citizens to voice their concerns and implement earth saving actions. Through heightened awareness we encourage wise choices that ensure sustainable living and the preservation of the environment.

Since 1990, Generation Green (a 501c3) has sought to inform and encourage environmental action in CCC. Generation Green has hosted dozens of workshops and attended countless events. Our efforts have reached all segments of the community. From local arts and crafts classes to attendance at City Council meetings—our goal is to educate all residents in the county about environmental issues.

http://www.generationgreen.com/

I just wanted to run it by you first before they set up they start accepting BTC.  What is the best process for them to follow to qualify for the Bitcoin100 donation?

Thanks!

August

Not sure what to make of this one. Thoughts?

I'm leaning heavily yes. Not sure what your concerns, if any, may be, Rassah.
Pages: « 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 »
  Print  

Jump to: