Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:31:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BitcoinSpinner  (Read 55412 times)
rini17

Activity: 340
Merit: 250

GO http://bitcointa.lk !!! My new nick: jurov

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2012, 11:53:27 PM

Hi, I really like BitcoinSpinner!
Is it possible to multiple accounts/addresses, like bitcoind allows?

CoinBr.com: First online MPEx brokerage launched beta! Easy to use interface and reasonable fees. Charts for MPEx stocks: live.coinbr.com * My Blog *

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 08:41:20 PM

Thanks. Please leave a five star review at the Android Market  Wink

BitcoinSpinner currently only uses one Bitcoin address, but you can manage several wallets by using the backup/restore functionality. I have 2 QR-code backups, one for the BitcoinSpinner donation address and one for my private wallet. Swapping back and forth is as easy as scanning a QR-code.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 08:46:16 PM

BitcoinSpinner is great, good work!

I think one really simple change would make the app look much better and more professional though: Change that orange color to black or light grey. =)
You are right. this does look much nicer. So which one should it be, black or white?
Version 0.4.6b released, which is based on the color scheme suggested by fimp. Please take your time to leave a review at the Android Market while updating.

vuce

Activity: 476

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 09:11:49 PM

Thanks. Please leave a five star review at the Android Market  Wink

BitcoinSpinner currently only uses one Bitcoin address, but you can manage several wallets by using the backup/restore functionality. I have 2 QR-code backups, one for the BitcoinSpinner donation address and one for my private wallet. Swapping back and forth is as easy as scanning a QR-code.

it'd be great if you would implement a deterministic wallet at some point. Then anyone could have as many addresses as they want.
MoreCowbell

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 12:25:56 AM

Great app! IMO this is the only way to do a mobile wallet due to the size of the blockchain. The new black color is definitely more appealing than the old orange (too bright).

Feature request: when you click on your address it gives you a lot of options of where to send it, but none of them is 'copy to clipboard'
teslacoil404

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 12:30:43 AM

Feature request: when you click on your address it gives you a lot of options of where to send it, but none of them is 'copy to clipboard'
you can do it tapping on the qr code and copy to clipboard
MoreCowbell

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 01:28:16 AM

you can do it tapping on the qr code and copy to clipboard

Ahhhh. I saw that, but thought it was copying the image to the clipboard.
fimp

Activity: 304

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2012, 01:29:31 PM

New color looks good.

I think the following is a bug: On my Android 2.3 phone, every time I restart the app I get the BitcoinSpinner title bar, but the window is just black. I have to press my phone's back button for the content to appear.

Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 07:23:13 AM

New color looks good.

I think the following is a bug: On my Android 2.3 phone, every time I restart the app I get the BitcoinSpinner title bar, but the window is just black. I have to press my phone's back button for the content to appear.

I am not able to reproduce this behavior. Please help me debug by trying out a few things. Questions:

Does it happen if you leave the app running and wait for the power saver to kick in, and restart?
Does it happen if you close the app with the 'back' button, and restart?
Does it happen if you close the app with the 'home' button, and restart?
Does it happen every time you close and start the app, or do you have to run some other apps in between?

How about if you are not on the main screen? Does this happen on the Send Coins page, Transaction History page?

vuce

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 07:39:14 AM

New color looks good.

I am not able to reproduce this behavior. Please help me debug by trying out a few things. Questions:

Does it happen if you leave the app running and wait for the power saver to kick in, and restart?
Does it happen every time you close and start the app, or do you have to run some other apps in between?

How about if you are not on the main screen? Does this happen on the Send Coins page, Transaction History page?

I have the same bug, this is definitely new behavior (came with the latest update). As far as I can tell it only happens when you leave the app running in the background for some time. I'll try these and report back.

Edit: 2. and 3. work. I don't know how 4. is different from 1.? I'm pretty sure the cause is the same as it was with the crash earlier.
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 11:24:36 AM

New color looks good.

I have the same bug, this is definitely new behavior (came with the latest update). As far as I can tell it only happens when you leave the app running in the background for some time. I'll try these and report back.

Edit: 2. and 3. work. I don't know how 4. is different from 1.? I'm pretty sure the cause is the same as it was with the crash earlier.
Thanks for the feedback.
Do you observe the same behavior when you are in the Send Coins view, Transaction history view, or Settings view?

vuce

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 11:30:11 AM

New color looks good.

Thanks for the feedback.
Do you observe the same behavior when you are in the Send Coins view, Transaction history view, or Settings view?

on it, will report back.
simonk83

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 05:10:13 AM

So, is anyone using this for their main (or savings) wallet, with any substantial amounts of BTC in there?

I'm sick of having to keep a super secure USB key with some funky version of Linux on it to keep my wallet safe Smiley    Multi-sig can't come soon enough for that reason, but this seems fairly safe in the mean time.     Keen for some opinions (just thread through the other thread, I'm starting on this one now).
fimp

Activity: 304

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2012, 12:56:03 PM

Now I don't get the bug anymore, so I can't help troubleshooting.

So, is anyone using this for their main (or savings) wallet, with any substantial amounts of BTC in there?

I'm sick of having to keep a super secure USB key with some funky version of Linux on it to keep my wallet safe Smiley    Multi-sig can't come soon enough for that reason, but this seems fairly safe in the mean time.     Keen for some opinions (just thread through the other thread, I'm starting on this one now).
I would probably never store large amounts on my phone because I could lose my phone or I could be robbed in the street.

Were you planning to use it on an Android device which you keep secured at home, never carry it in the streets?

Also, note this is still in beta, which is also true for the Satoshi client, but the Satoshi client has had much more testing.

Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 01:47:53 PM

Now I don't get the bug anymore, so I can't help troubleshooting.
Can you confirm that when you experienced the bug it was with the current version (0.4.6b)?

I'm sick of having to keep a super secure USB key with some funky version of Linux on it to keep my wallet safe Smiley    Multi-sig can't come soon enough for that reason, but this seems fairly safe in the mean time.     Keen for some opinions (just thread through the other thread, I'm starting on this one now).
I would probably never store large amounts on my phone because I could lose my phone or I could be robbed in the street.

Were you planning to use it on an Android device which you keep secured at home, never carry it in the streets?

Also, note this is still in beta, which is also true for the Satoshi client, but the Satoshi client has had much more testing.

If you want to use this as a secure Bitcoin storage I suggest that you
1. Buy a brand new cheap low-end android device (Android 2.2 or later) without a SIM-card (you don't need it)
2. Enable PIN locking
3. Install BitcoinSpinner and nothing else
4. Export the private key as a QR-code (take a picture, and print it out, store securely)
5. Don't carry it around (as fimp suggests)

Even though BitcoinSpinner is in beta and there might be bugs that may cause it to fail you can always validate your BTC holdings using block explorer or similar services. The block-chain is the source of truth.
Even if I (along with the server) should pass away, you still have your private key on paper, which you can import into another wallet.

For daily usage keep a few BTC on your normal phone, and recharge it from your secure device as needed (this is really simple with BitcoinSpinner).

vuce

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 02:11:06 PM

So I've been trying to replicate the bug but had no luck. It's funny how the bugs are never there when you're looking for them Smiley
simonk83

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 09:21:25 PM

Yeah, probably on my tablet (which I'd then encrypt etc).   I'll test it with small amount for a while and see how it goes.
hgmichna

Activity: 695
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 05:55:06 PM

simonk83, follow Jan's advice. I'd like to second it.

A wallet is not safe on any computer or smartphone, as long as there is a risk of malware getting installed on it.

If you loosen the strict requirements a bit for moderate amounts, you can get an old, used smartphone for very little money, root and wipe it, then install only the most important, acclaimed programs on it plus BitcoinSpinner. I currently use an old HTC Magic for this purpose, which does not have enough memory to play Angry Birds. Smiley

To make it safer, unroot it after wiping and update the programs only very occasionally or stick to BitcoinSpinner only.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 07:03:13 PM

simonk83, follow Jan's advice. I'd like to second it.

A wallet is not safe on any computer or smartphone, as long as there is a risk of malware getting installed on it.

And I'll third it.

Really, with the freedom of utility bitcoin gives you, there's no reason to only have one bitcoin-spending device if you can afford one or more additional ones. If you have a cheaper non-smart phone that can browse the web reasonably enough, you can even use it as a bitcoin-spending device by using an online private-key-encrypted wallet. And if you also make use of paper/CD/whatever wallet backups you can easily "decentralize" your funds and reduce any losses even if one or two (or all) devices are compromised.

On that note, I hadn't really given much thought before of using BitcoinSpinner's backup ability to create *multiple* offline wallets that can each easily be restored, but that could well be all the decentralization one needs.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 07:15:31 PM

Jan,

i'm trying to import Spinners private key from my Android to the new Armory wallet of etotheipi's just for testing purposes.

his input field requires typing the private key.  when i access the private key in Spinner its displayed as a QR code.  how should i accomplish this?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: