Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:46:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 81 »
  Print  
Author Topic: 1GH/s, 20w, $700 (was $500) — Butterflylabs, is it for real? (Part 2)  (Read 146879 times)
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 10:50:24 PM

I've never heard of a company not wanting to associate their regular business with 'underground'(bitcoin in this case) before.1.!!?!?

Ponder that it is quite possible they are engaged in business activities that they do not want to make direct associations between that side of their work and bitcoin. I know it sounds crazy but....

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
legolouman

Decent Programmer to boot!

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 10:54:12 PM

I understand that, but a whole line? How much time, money, and such would be invested into that. Not only that, but it seems to be the only type of product on the products page. Compare to:
Friend says, "boy Trucks are cool!"
Small business says, "I've never heard of this 'truck' but I'm going to gear my business only to this 'truck'!"

I think it is more of a proof of concept, to show the "big customers" what's possible.

An entire project line? With no other products available? From a company that at one point stated they've been in business for several years now.

I think that is a stretch of truth. BFL, would you mind commenting on my posts?

If you love me, you'd give me a Satoshi!
BTC - 1MSzGKh5znbrcEF2qTrtrWBm4ydH5eT49f
LTC - LYeJrmYQQvt6gRQxrDz66XTwtkdodx9udz
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 11:51:30 PM

Really looking forward to some new testing. When is that going to be around ? Any estimate ETA ? Before Christmas ? Thanks !
plastic.elastic

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 02:28:03 AM

I understand that, but a whole line? How much time, money, and such would be invested into that. Not only that, but it seems to be the only type of product on the products page. Compare to:
Small business says, "I've never heard of this 'truck' but I'm going to gear my business only to this 'truck'!"

I think it is more of a proof of concept, to show the "big customers" what's possible.

An entire project line? With no other products available? From a company that at one point stated they've been in business for several years now.

Dont bother, we all know its a lie.

Just hope they indeed ship a product. Brave ones are welcome to be guinea pigs.

Tips gladly accepted: 1LPaxHPvpzN3FbaGBaZShov3EFafxJDG42
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2011, 02:56:24 AM

I am going to provide some test data to them from the pool for them to validate against.  We had a major crisis over the weekend that I'm still cleaning up the mess at work on, so I've not been able to get the proper data to them... though I doubt that's holding them up much at the moment.  I hope to get to it tomorrow.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
sadpandatech

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 03:00:02 AM

I am going to provide some test data to them from the pool for them to validate against.  We had a major crisis over the weekend that I'm still cleaning up the mess at work on, so I've not been able to get the proper data to them... though I doubt that's holding them up much at the moment.  I hope to get to it tomorrow.

Sounds awesome. Thanks again for your time in updating us.

Cheers

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

legolouman

Decent Programmer to boot!

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 03:02:40 AM

Dont bother, we all know its a lie.

Just hope they indeed ship a product. Brave ones are welcome to be guinea pigs.

At least I know it wasn't just me that has seen that as a HUGE gaping hole since the beginning of this controversy.

If you love me, you'd give me a Satoshi!
BTC - 1MSzGKh5znbrcEF2qTrtrWBm4ydH5eT49f
LTC - LYeJrmYQQvt6gRQxrDz66XTwtkdodx9udz
xDGDZEx

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 04:00:02 AM

All of this strangely resembles how one of my family members recently got scammed. Promise of something awesome at low price with set delivery date. That progressed to delivery delays for minor reasons, then longer delays for progressively more ridiculous reasons. I couldn't convince them it was a scam because all I had was evidence that it was possibly a scam. The ones with their money invested obviously didn't want to hear it. And there was much arguing back and forth with nobody convincing anyone else.

This is not to imply that I think BFL is scamming anyone. If this product comes anywhere near their claims it will be leaps and bounds better than anything else currently available, and I will line up to get one.

However, I think that arguing over whether or not it is a scam is unproductive. Either it is a scam or it's not. Either they deliver a product that works as described, and are successful because of it, or they don't and it was a scam (or design proved impossible etc).

Arguing one way or the other won't affect the outcome, but I'm more than happy to watch other people go back and forth, because it's interesting and I have nothing better to do  Grin
gmaxwell (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2011, 04:33:57 AM
Last edit: December 06, 2011, 04:57:30 AM by gmaxwell

All of this strangely resembles how one of my family members recently got scammed. Promise of something awesome at low price with set delivery date.  

To be fair— and I should apologize to the BFL folks.  Beyond having a website which was linked from ~nowhere, they didn't appear to be promoting this anywhere before I made this post.

I'd heard about it (with links to their site) a couple times on IRC, and I just dismissed it as "far too little info to believe".  Eventually I heard from Luke-JR that he had bought one, and I was concerned that people were paying without more discussion.

I now feel a little guilty thrusting BFL into the limelight before they were ready— all this debate could have been skipped if the product was already shipping by the time we heard about it.   At the same time there were things in the past where I thought "this looks really suspect" and stayed away but other people got screwed because they didn't catch the fishy smell themselves, and I ultimately regretted not saying more.

In any case,  I'd recommend against adding too much weight to the fact that their announcements were premature— as that could have been partially my fault.  Big promises and delays may be symptomatic of fraud, but they're also quite symptomatic of new companies.  You don't want to be the insane asylum shrink who just starts diagnosing everyone who sees a butterfly on a blot card as crazy simply because most of his crazy patients also see a butterfly on the card. Smiley

Of course, there are severe costs if someone where to misidentify a scam as legit— people get ripped off— but there are also costs if they identify something legit as a scam: They hurt their credibility, they damage the reputation of the bitcoin community, they discourage new businesses, and they insult someone offering a valuable product/service. So care and consideration is required, regardless of how sure you are.

Assuming everything is legit:  You also should be aware of the tensions any business faces when serving our community— As a businessperson, you may want to be open with what you are doing, but being open takes a lot of time you don't have especially answering detailed technicality questions for the careful scrutiny of our expert pedants, and at the same time you don't want your competition (which includes some of the people participating in this thread) to learn enough to gain a competitive advantage.

I've cringed at some of the detailed questions here— not so much because they're unfair, but because they lead to more questions and more questions... and when you've gone deep down the rat-hole it can be hard and time consuming to avoid appearing evasive while protecting your company interests and avoiding saying something which is a little factually wrong (afterall, on any given bit of technical detail one of us probably knows more than any randomly selected BFL person).

I'm very much looking forward to news about testing, and as well about shipping products which will be the real proof. Until then caveat emptor, of course.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 04:47:44 AM

...snip...
And furthermore, meeting a known community member in person is far and away more credible than anything that anyone can send in a message or on IRC or in a forum or in an email. FWIW.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
xDGDZEx

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 04:53:27 AM

All of this strangely resembles how one of my family members recently got scammed. Promise of something awesome at low price with set delivery date. 

To be fair— and I should apologize to the BFL folks.  Beyond having a website which was linked from ~nowhere, they didn't appear to be promoting this anywhere before I made this post.

I'd heard about it (with links to their site) a couple times on IRC, and I just dismissed it as "far too little info to believe".  Eventually I heard from Luke-JR that he had bought one, and I was concerned that people were paying without more discussion.

I now feel a little guilty thrusting BFL into the limelight before they were ready— all this debate could have been skipped if the product was already shipping by the time we heard about it.   At the same time there were things in the past where I thought "this looks really suspect" and stayed away but other people got screwed because they did catch the fishy smell themselves, and I ultimately regretted not saying more.

In any case,  I'd recommend against adding too much weight to the fact that their announcements were premature— as that could have been partially my fault.  Big promises and delays may be symptomatic of fraud, but they're also quite symptomatic of new companies.  You don't want to be the insane asylum shrink who just starts diagnosing everyone who sees a butterfly on a blot card as crazy simply because most of his crazy patients also see a butterfly on the card. Smiley

Of course, there are severe costs if someone where to misidentify a scam as legit— people get ripped off— but there are also costs if they identify something legit as a scam: They hurt their credibility, they damage the reputation of the bitcoin community, they discourage new businesses, and they insult someone offering a valuable product/service. So care and consideration is required, regardless of how sure you are.

Assuming everything is legit:  You also should be aware of the tensions any business faces when serving our community— As a businessperson, you may want to be open with what you are doing, but being open takes a lot of time you don't have especially answering detailed technicality questions for the careful scrutiny of our expert pedants, and at the same time you don't want your competition (which includes some of the people participating in this thread) to learn enough to gain a competitive advantage.

I've cringed at some of the detailed questions here— not so much because they're unfair, but because they lead to more questions and more questions... and when you've gone deep down the rat-hole it can be hard and time consuming to avoid appearing evasive while protecting your company interests and avoiding saying something which is a little factually wrong (afterall, on any given bit of technical detail one of us probably knows more than any randomly selected BFL person).

I'm very much looking forward to news about testsing, and as well about shipping products which will be the real proof. Until then caveat emptor, of course.

Well said. Again, I hope what I said is not misinterpreted. I am cautiously optimistic, and agree that when it comes to start ups, it is very difficult to separate fraud from normal start up...ness.
bulanula

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 01:21:45 PM

Valid points but the delays are not very promising. Looking forward to the next demo.
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 03:00:10 PM

I now feel a little guilty thrusting BFL into the limelight before they were ready— all this debate could have been skipped if the product was already shipping by the time we heard about it.   At the same time there were things in the past where I thought "this looks really suspect" and stayed away but other people got screwed because they didn't catch the fishy smell themselves, and I ultimately regretted not saying more.
Yeah, I'd tend to suggest that if they really didn't want to be thrust into the limelight that early on they shouldn't have been taking people's money for their product based on unlikely promises that - as it turns out - they're not actually able to meet in the end. If it was just a "coming soon" website then all the speculation would've been entirely pointless, but given that people were apparently already finding the website and forking over money before your "premature" mention of it...

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
chungenhung
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 04:18:26 PM

that's why i am not buying until i see a bunch of people actually receiving the product and reports back.
Ad

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 09:09:53 PM

Guess it's still a game of wait and see.
Turbor
Legendary

Activity: 1022

BitMinter

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2011, 10:45:42 PM

Guess it's still a game of wait and see.

+1

sadpandatech

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 10:56:17 PM

Sadpanda is sad for the lack of news on how the troubleshooting is going.  Sad

- GA

bulanula

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 12:15:39 AM

Sadpanda is sad for the lack of news on how the troubleshooting is going.  Sad

Very true. I believe the customers who pre-ordered this should get daily ( well maybe a bit excessive ) but at least weekly updates on how it is all going. Any info on the final expected ETA ?
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 12:17:45 AM

@BFL What voltages will your products be able to run off of?
worldinacoin

Activity: 756

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 02:36:33 AM

Is the product in full production or do we need to wait 6 weeks after ordering?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 81 »
  Print  

Jump to: