Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:03:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 »
  Print  
Author Topic: 1GH/s, 20w, $700 (was $500) — Butterflylabs, is it for real? (Part 2)  (Read 146879 times)
Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 03:52:07 PM
Last edit: February 02, 2012, 04:19:48 PM by Epoch

I do have this picture that I have not seen previously.

Sonny sent it to me. It does appear to use the same type of box but somewhat larger is size.

<image snip>

I have sent him another email tonight. I am getting impatient as my investment is not getting a return.

The exhaust vents on the new enclosure are substantially larger than the original, which is good because the box will heat up as if you had a 60W light bulb in there.

I'm not sure about stackability ... those rubber feet are quite low-profile. If you stack these, it may be difficult for the fan to draw in enough air ... those exhaust vents, though now larger, still present heavy airflow resistance. The box looks like it will have a large positive internal pressure, making it more difficult for the fan to draw air in.

From earlier photos, the PCB fan connector is a 3-pin. This means that either they have monitoring circuitry onboard (one of the pins would be a sense line) for RPM, or the fan RPM might be auto-controlled via a temperature sensor.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 04:10:30 PM

All the pictures of the boards for example.

You know...the ones that are off their website...

sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 06:42:17 PM

From earlier photos, the PCB fan connector is a 3-pin. This means that either they have monitoring circuitry onboard (one of the pins would be a sense line) for RPM, or the fan RPM might be auto-controlled via a temperature sensor.

Not sure if they updated it in their redesigned build but previously only 2 of the pins had traces to them on the boards.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
RoloTonyBrownTown

Activity: 350

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 08:29:44 PM

I've read it all.   I know the current state of things, as I also keep in contact with BFL.   What goes on this thread is 1 part actual information, 2 parts technical discussion of FPGA technology, and 7 parts trolling from Randy, DeathandTaxes, Goat, Kano and couple of others.
Why is it everyone who's been in contact with BFL never posts any "actual information"? So if you actually ordered one, when is it due to ship?

Plenty of info has been posted from people who have spoken to BFL.  All the pictures of the boards for example.    If I had an exact ship date, I'd tell you, but I don't.   This week or the next as far as I know.   I'm not about to explode if I don't have an exact ship date so I'm not too worried, as long as I get it sometime in Feb I'll be happy.
So was that what Sonny said?

If you have actually read this thread you will see that there are many people who are interested in these ... not just those willing to risk $600 on something that is currently about 2 months past due and no built final prototype version of it even exists (only the previous one from a while back that had to be redesigned due to the 400% missed guess at the power usage)

So then either wait for people to recieve them, then make your decision based on that, or email the company yourself and ask whatever questions you have!   It's really not that hard.

RoloTonyBrownTown

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 08:31:10 PM

All the pictures of the boards for example.

You know...the ones that are off their website...

Yes, NOW they're on their website.  When they were emailed out and posted here, they weren't yet.   Of course you already knew that.

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 08:37:39 PM

I've read it all.   I know the current state of things, as I also keep in contact with BFL.   What goes on this thread is 1 part actual information, 2 parts technical discussion of FPGA technology, and 7 parts trolling from Randy, DeathandTaxes, Goat, Kano and couple of others.
Why is it everyone who's been in contact with BFL never posts any "actual information"? So if you actually ordered one, when is it due to ship?

Plenty of info has been posted from people who have spoken to BFL.  All the pictures of the boards for example.    If I had an exact ship date, I'd tell you, but I don't.   This week or the next as far as I know.   I'm not about to explode if I don't have an exact ship date so I'm not too worried, as long as I get it sometime in Feb I'll be happy.

If you have actually read this thread you will see that there are many people who are interested in these ... not just those willing to risk $600 on something that is currently about 2 months past due and no built final prototype version of it even exists (only the previous one from a while back that had to be redesigned due to the 400% missed guess at the power usage)

So then either wait for people to recieve them, then make your decision based on that, or email the company yourself and ask whatever questions you have!   It's really not that hard.
Yeah same as a few others have already said ...
I take that to mean that it's not good news, that's the usual reason for people now wanting to post information they already know for others to read.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
RoloTonyBrownTown

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 08:50:36 PM

I take that to mean that it's not good news, that's the usual reason for people now wanting to post information they already know for others to read.

Believe what you want, I couldn't care less.

RandyFolds

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 09:11:52 PM

Believe what you want, I couldn't care less.

Then why are you here, stepping in ultra-late in the game to white knight it over BFL and sonny?

Seriously guy, you bring nothing to the table that wasn't mentioned fifty times in the previous 130 pages of fucktardery. You are as bad as goat and I...worse maybe, with that high horse you are on.
RoloTonyBrownTown

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 09:44:40 PM
Last edit: February 02, 2012, 10:05:28 PM by RoloTonyBrownTown

Then why are you here, stepping in ultra-late in the game to white knight it over BFL and sonny?

Seriously guy, you bring nothing to the table that wasn't mentioned fifty times in the previous 130 pages of fucktardery. You are as bad as goat and I...worse maybe, with that high horse you are on.

I'm a pretty mellow guy in real life, and I generally practice good forum etiquette in other communities I'm a part of.   I've been lurking here a long time and have finally created this account to stick it to utter retards such as yourself who find it so hilarious to hang around in threads such as this, offering absolutely zero useful input and just generally being a disgusting, sorry excuse for a human being.

Well fuck you.  You can keep trolling this thread all you like, but now you're also going to have to put up with me trolling you for the foreseeable future, or at least until you grow a brain and start acting like a normal member of society.   Lets see how you like a taste of your own medicine.

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 10:12:13 PM

I'm a pretty mellow guy in real life, and I generally practice good forum etiquette in other communities I'm a part of.   I've been lurking here a long time and have finally created this account to stick it to utter retards such as yourself who find it so hilarious to hang around in threads such as this, offering absolutely zero useful input an just generally being a disgusting, sorry excuse for a human being.

Well fuck you.  You can keep trolling this thread all you like, but now you're also going to have to put up with me trolling you for the foreseeable future, or at least until you row a brain and start acting like a normal member of society.   Lets see how you like a taste of your own medicine.
Well that's really useful - you created an account to debase yourself to the level of those you loathe.
Best solution, delete the account and go back to lurking. Seriously.
There has been no useful content in any of your 18 posts in any threads here since you joined ... although your 13th post did attempt to at least sound like you were providing information (but it didn't)
You don't see the problem with acting like those you tell that they shouldn't act that way?

Meanwhile - so - new images must mean they actually aren't empty boxes so they can run them and tell people results.
Again, someone must know something of what's going on at BFL - post some info - I'm sure no one signed a non disclosure agreement with BFL regarding their email ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
RandyFolds

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 10:15:57 PM

I'm a pretty mellow guy in real life, and I generally practice good forum etiquette in other communities I'm a part of.   I've been lurking here a long time and have finally created this account to stick it to utter retards such as yourself who find it so hilarious to hang around in threads such as this, offering absolutely zero useful input and just generally being a disgusting, sorry excuse for a human being.

Well fuck you.  You can keep trolling this thread all you like, but now you're also going to have to put up with me trolling you for the foreseeable future, or at least until you grow a brain and start acting like a normal member of society.   Lets see how you like a taste of your own medicine.

Gonna have to try harder than that to troll me, honey.

That is you, in this thread ^
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 10:16:32 PM

Meanwhile - so - new images must mean they actually aren't empty boxes so they can run them and tell people results.
Again, someone must know something of what's going on at BFL - post some info - I'm sure no one signed a non disclosure agreement with BFL regarding their email ...

Here is the latest I have:

Quote from: BFL by email, 2/1/2012
We had moved the final stage of production here from Taiwan so as not to get trapped by the Chinese holiday.  We're still in production and testing.  I would say it's fair to say the Asians do it faster.  Smiley

God damn the chinese new year.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
RandyFolds

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 10:18:32 PM

Here is the latest I have:

Quote from: BFL by email, 2/1/2012
We had moved the final stage of production here from Taiwan so as not to get trapped by the Chinese holiday.  We're still in production and testing.  I would say it's fair to say the Asians do it faster.  Smiley

God damn the chinese new year.

Take home message: not only are they horrible at marketing, but they're racist to boot. Tongue
RoloTonyBrownTown

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 10:22:57 PM

There has been no useful content in any of your 18 posts in any threads here since you joined

The ironing is delicious.

michaelmclees

Activity: 633
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 10:27:14 PM

RandyFolds

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 10:31:19 PM

<awesome poster>

That about sums up the thread(s).
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 10:34:48 PM

ahahaha....

Take home message: not only are they horrible at marketing, but they're racist to boot. Tongue

They aren't, I am. Who the fuck needs 2 weeks to switch from one year to another? That must be some epic partying.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
yochdog
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 10:49:29 PM

I am too lazy at the moment, but someone should do the exact math on how much return on investment has been sacrificed by a pre-order customer.  Ostensibly they could have taken the $600 bucks and purchased actually available products and earned a decent return by now. 

Whats the most hashing power someone can aquire for $600 bucks? 

I will start....
Used mobo/CPU combo:  $100
RAM:  $20 
Linux run from USB:  $10
decent PSU:  $80
Used 5970:  $325-350
Used 5770: $65

So, they could have aquired 900 MH/s, and given the low difficulty during December, I figure they could have mined 22 BTC per month.  That is 88 BTC over the time since pre-orders began.

That is one HELL of an opportunity cost.   

I am a trusted trader!  Ask Inaba, Luo Demin, Vanderbleek, Sannyasi, Episking, Miner99er, Isepick, Amazingrando, Cablez, ColdHardMetal, Dextryn, MB300sd, Robocoder, gnar1ta$ and many others!
RandyFolds

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 11:00:06 PM

I am too lazy at the moment, but someone should do the exact math on how much return on investment has been sacrificed by a pre-order customer.  Ostensibly they could have taken the $600 bucks and purchased actually available products and earned a decent return by now. 

Whats the most hashing power someone can aquire for $600 bucks? 

I will start....
Used mobo/CPU combo:  $100
RAM:  $20 
Linux run from USB:  $10
decent PSU:  $80
Used 5970:  $325-350
Used 5770: $65

So, they could have aquired 900 MH/s, and given the low difficulty during December, I figure they could have mined 22 BTC per month.  That is 88 BTC over the time since pre-orders began.

That is one HELL of an opportunity cost.   

lol

I think we're just jealous that we don't have zero interest loans for indefinite periods.
RandyFolds

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 11:02:00 PM

Also, someone who actually cares should request thermal images of the BFL boards, similar to those shown by some...ahem...more professional FPGA entities.

See this post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=40058.msg710994#msg710994
Pages: « 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 »
  Print  

Jump to: