Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:52:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 [1064] 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667206 times)
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 11:23:09 AM

The best doesn't win and since market cap / price might be the big attractor (LTC excluded lol), we should be careful with Monero in not "hedging" our bets regarding getting the word out on podcasts and such.

The miniscule market caps of these altcoins mean nothing to the mass of potential outside adopters looking for something useful, which I have yet to see from any crypto, including Bitcoin.

Saying that Monero has to win tiny market cap battles in order to achieve wider adoption is like saying you have to be the most popular kid in high school in order be successful in the real world.

That may be true, but don't confuse a point I made for the wider argument. I don't think my nor anyones argument here should rest on a point or two, unless explicitly meant to.

The basis of my argument/point is to market Monero, not to raise the market cap to market it. How the marketing goes about is open to debate. I suggested podcast interviews, or even advertising spots (possibly), etc. I think brainstorming is more constructive than right or wrong perspectives here. Can't hurt...

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 11:27:43 AM

When is Monero's first birthday?  I would like to give it a small present.
It is around April 19th

April 18 according to the first post in this thread.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 11:29:55 AM

The best doesn't win and since market cap / price might be the big attractor (LTC excluded lol), we should be careful with Monero in not "hedging" our bets regarding getting the word out on podcasts and such.

The miniscule market caps of these altcoins mean nothing to the mass of potential outside adopters looking for something useful, which I have yet to see from any crypto, including Bitcoin.

Saying that Monero has to win tiny market cap battles in order to achieve wider adoption is like saying you have to be the most popular kid in high school in order be successful in the real world.

That may be true, but don't confuse a point I made for the wider argument. I don't think my nor anyones argument here should rest on a point or two, unless explicitly meant to.

The basis of my argument/point is to market Monero, not to raise the market cap to market it. How the marketing goes about is open to debate. I suggested podcast interviews, or even advertising spots (possibly), etc. I think brainstorming is more constructive than right or wrong perspectives here. Can't hurt...

Totally agree, although some restraint is also reasonable given the chinks in the armor at this point (no official GUI, db imminent but not released yet, etc.). Let's get the message out, but save some ammo for later too.
jehst

Activity: 798

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 11:38:35 AM

Raising XMR's marketcap makes Monero more useful, which should in turn raise its marketcap more in a self-reinforcing process. It also has the side benefit of enriching Monero's largest holders, who are likely to use some of that money to fund Monero development and external projects. Thus, the best way to market Monero is to simply buy it. Absorb the emission. It's even better than talking about its merits, advertising it, or accepting it at your place of business. Realistically, XMR can surpass everything but LTC in the mid-term. This is the best marketing possible. You can't ignore #4 on CMC default view. That's when people start to talk about it and when its actual merits become debated by everyone in the wider crypto-community.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 11:47:33 AM
Last edit: March 21, 2015, 12:02:44 PM by smooth

Raising XMR's marketcap makes Monero more useful, which should in turn raise its marketcap more in a self-reinforcing process. It also has the side benefit of enriching Monero's largest holders, who are likely to use some of that money to fund Monero development and external projects. Thus, the best way to market Monero is to simply buy it. Absorb the emission. It's even better than talking about its merits, advertising it, or accepting it at your place of business. Realistically, XMR can surpass everything but LTC in the mid-term. This is the best marketing possible. You can't ignore #4 on CMC default view. That's when people start to talk about it and when its actual merits become debated by everyone in the wider crypto-community.

I see the whole investors-vs-entrepreneurs as more of a chicken-and-egg debate, but even more than that, as a table with four legs (in no particular order):

1. Technology of the coin itself
2. Market cap/investors
3. Services/merchants
4. Transactional users

In my view all of these support all of the others and increasing any of them tends to increase the others. But at the same time, if one or especially two lags badly behind, the table will collapse.

In this model probably the best thing to support is whichever of these you feel is in the worst shape. That's subjective of course.
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2015, 11:55:00 AM

There is no need to resort to arguments about the worse technology winning because of better marketing or suggest that people were being tricked into buying the objectively worse product. Does that ever happen? Maybe, but not nearly as often as the argument is made about beta/vhs for example (and a few others).
It is possible that Flash memory, SD-RAM, HTML... (all technology notably inferior to the competition at time of release) are the exception rather than the rule. Without rational tools like (well-done) statistics, we human tend to suffer from selective bias - the same reason why a plane crash causes more turmoil than road deaths, despite the latter being much more common than the former).

This also was a late delivery because TFT wanted to publish on the 17th. I updated the History of Monero.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2015, 12:04:40 PM

"Absorb the emissions is the best way to market"

Perhaps, but if more people are into monero, then there are more people absorbing the emissions (and also diverting the emissions towards non-dumpers).

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
coinits
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 12:06:41 PM

I was asked to post this so here goes:

Burstcoin community leaders are reaching out to Monero Devs on their OP. You should take a look. It has to do with Automated Transactions...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=731923.msg10836601#msg10836601

Thank you

Jump you fuckers! | The thing about smart motherfuckers is they sound like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers. | My sig space for rent for 0.01 btc per week.
jehst

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 12:15:52 PM

I see the whole investors-vs-entrepreneurs as more of a chicken-and-egg debate, but even more than that, as a table with four legs (in no particular order):

2. Market cap/investors
3. Services/merchants
4. Transactional users

In my view all of these support all of the others and increasing any of them tends to increase the others. But at the same time, if one or especially two lags badly behind, the table will collapse.

In this model probably the best thing to support is whichever of these you feel is in the worst shape. That's subjective of course.

Which one do you personally believe to be in worst shape? IMO, you can hack services/merchants/transaction with xmr.to. Which is exactly what bitcoin did with all the giftcard/purse.io/brawker stuff. You can also hack tech issues like db/gui  with mymonero.com and 3rd party GUIs. This is, again, the case with bitcoin. 3rd party wallets and web wallets are far more popular than bitcoin's official software.
The only thing that you can't hack is liquidity.

Year 2021
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 12:19:34 PM

2. Market cap/investors
3. Services/merchants
4. Transactional users

Which one do you personally believe to be in worst shape? IMO, you can hack services/merchants/transaction with xmr.to. Which is exactly what bitcoin did with all the giftcard/purse.io/brawker stuff. You can also hack tech issues like db/gui  with mymonero.com and 3rd party GUIs. This is, again, the case with bitcoin. 3rd party wallets and web wallets are far more popular than bitcoin's official software.

Unfortunately I don't have good answer, we don't have good benchmark data, so it is really hard to say what the weightings should be, differences in scale, etc. It's more of a conceptual model than anything else.

If you look at the one good benchmark we have (BTC) these indeed have all grown together. LTC did #1 and #2 and basically nothing on #3 and #4 and ended up being down 95% in value, on its way to 99.9% imo (I think you disagree on this last point, fair enough).
pandher
Legendary

Activity: 952

Stagnation is Death

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2015, 12:24:46 PM

Mailed Gizmodo and Vice requesting to have a look at Monero  Wink
jehst

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 12:34:20 PM

2. Market cap/investors
3. Services/merchants
4. Transactional users

Which one do you personally believe to be in worst shape? IMO, you can hack services/merchants/transaction with xmr.to. Which is exactly what bitcoin did with all the giftcard/purse.io/brawker stuff. You can also hack tech issues like db/gui  with mymonero.com and 3rd party GUIs. This is, again, the case with bitcoin. 3rd party wallets and web wallets are far more popular than bitcoin's official software.

Unfortunately I don't have good answer, we don't have good benchmark data, so it is really hard to say what the weightings should be, differences in scale, etc. It's more of a conceptual model than anything else.

If you look at the one good benchmark we have (BTC) these indeed have all grown together. LTC did #1 and #2 and basically nothing on #3 and #4 and ended up being down 95% in value, on its way to 99.9% imo (I think you disagree on this last point, fair enough).

Dogecoin has valiantly tried to do all four and no one can deny its powerful marketing, high tipping transaction volume, and diverse services like Gocoin, Dogeparty, etc. yet it's down around 90%+, too. As is Monero. Bitcoin's down ~80% in value and transactions are at all time highs with new services/merchants coming online every day. I think the macro-environment (brutal crypto bear market) explains the fact that no coin is having success right now.

Year 2021
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 12:38:29 PM
Last edit: March 21, 2015, 01:03:43 PM by smooth

2. Market cap/investors
3. Services/merchants
4. Transactional users

Dogecoin has valiantly tried to do all four and no one can deny its powerful marketing, high tipping transaction volume, and diverse services like Dogeparty, yet it's down around 90%+, too. As is Monero. Bitcoin's down ~80% in value and transactions are at all time highs with new services/merchants coming online every day. I think the macro-environment (brutal crypto bear market) explains the fact that no coin is really having success right now.

Monero I'm not going to count as anything at this point, it is just too immature (though in some way that means I'm saying #1)

But as far as Bitcoin, it is clearly still growing and thriving in terms of 1, 3, and 4. It is suffering on 2 for sure. If you want to help bitcoin succeed today probably the best answer is to invest in it; the other legs are well supported.

DOGE has just failed on all four (possibly excluding #1 that they get for free). Yes they tried and made a bit of progress for a while, but that doesn't count. If you wanted to help DOGE today it would be really hard to pick a leg. (Same with LTC)

EDIT: Now that I think about it, LTC and DOGE probably failed most horribly on #1. Yes they had BTC's technology to clone, but that left them without any relevant technology it all. No there there, unless they were going to surpass, or at least approach, BTC on 2,3 and 4 (for a time it seemed DOGE actually had an unexpected long shot at this, but not now).

Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442

Antifragile

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 12:52:33 PM

First, to your prior mention of thieves using DRK/XMR to wash coins in - Very good point. I was aware of that but that skipped me. With the daily volume on Poloniex, you would think XMR is a target, but not really sure. I guess LTC can even serve that function for a bit.

Regarding your quote above - again, I don't disagree with you, but why limit expression to just this? Totally agree, you get early adopters having lots of extra money then they do with XMR what BTC'ers did with theirs - reinvest and actualize the dream. But all the same, no reason to wait on that when we have lots of possibilities here. Not saying I know what is best, double again, just some brain storming.  Grin

Page 1111 !!!!

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 12:59:16 PM

This also was a late delivery because TFT wanted to publish on the 17th. I updated the History of Monero.

Ok April 18th it is.  I will double the small contribution I've made so far to Monero's development fund.

Please consider joining the party.

GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2015, 01:00:45 PM

Ok April 18th it is.  I will double the small contribution I've made so far to Monero's development fund.

Please consider joining the party.

I'll join.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
cryptodaknight

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 01:03:13 PM

Let's not make the same mistake as Beta did.

The VHS/beta argument is way overplayed in my view. Yes beta had better picture quality. VHS had longer recording time and lower cost. Does that make one better than the other? Not really. People really felt the recording time and cost were the more important factors. There is no need to resort to arguments about the worse technology winning because of better marketing or suggest that people were being tricked into buying the objectively worse product. Does that ever happen? Maybe, but not nearly as often as the argument is made about beta/vhs for example (and a few others).

Anyway, user-frendliness and good enough marketing that people are at least aware of the solution and its advantages are necessary. I mean you can make the same case about "better anonymity" vs. "ease of use" that I made in the previous paragraph about better picture quality vs recording time. I think this is valid.

I don't disagree with you. That old example came to mind but of course there are many. Instead of focusing on why "my" argument may be wrong, it might be safer to think about why it might be right. It can't hurt to have all bases covered.

Again, I'm not meaning this in a way against any of the supporters as I am one (via holding XMR, not DRK) but just speaking my mind in a less technical way, for as observed time and time again, the best doesn't always win. An example that I know of personally was Oracle over Sybase (back in the day). I was pissed to move to Oracle as I objectively found Sybase superior, not just better, than Oracle back in the 90's (late). Within a few years the marketing of Oracle drew the customers and then money was poured into research, integration, etc. and then it was better. After seeing Dark have had forks and still a following, don't discount stupidity of people to stick with it even though it has given warning signs.

I have not used Dash, so I have no idea of user friendliness between it and XMR. At this stage I don't think that is an issue, as most haven'T even heard of XMR or DRK. But those that have, how do you sway? I think enough money is in DRK and they will prop up that position. Once XMR has that money in (and it is coming unless the volume is all fake), then it will be protected and built upon. In the meantime, it just gets a bit antsy (on days like today.)

Marketing is super important, it's like half the battle. I agree with you fully, and those that just focus on we are best, (which we are) doesn't matter. I just recently found out about what monero is doing, so unless you have time and ability to sift through BTC talk, you'll unlikely find information. It's not clear and dry to non tech people the advantages, and twitter with other free social media is underutilized.

I'm all for Monero moving up the ladder getting respect it deserves, and missives and interviews are helping, but on top of that, staying on peoples minds, via social media and targeted marketing will do just as much, if not more than tech. Stinks it works that way, but look at massive effort to get noobs into paycoin. It was trainwreck non crypto, and is still traded highly cause these people don't know any better.

We need not overestimate the knowledge base or understanding people have about Monero. I'm not a programmer and half the roadmap doesn't make bit of sense to me, and that is not being negative, but it's some of these goals to me are have no impact on my decision as I don't know or understand what projects will do for coin.

If I don't know this, many others don't.

I will say this, Monero right now has some extremely smart people involved, with lots of ability to get things done, but average joe six pack that will really be ultimate goal doesn't even know what bitcoin is, and let alone benifits of Monero.

My suggestion to those involved here, is that you should consider targeting not only the tech savvy but dumb things down a lot also on social media and marketing, to draw in new people. Clearly state in easy to understand ways why someone looking at Monero doesn't get lost in tech talk, but very simple reasons this coin is the best.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 01:10:26 PM

My suggestion to those involved here, is that you should consider targeting not only the tech savvy but dumb things down a lot also on social media and marketing, to draw in new people. Clearly state in easy to understand ways why someone looking at Monero doesn't get lost in tech talk, but very simple reasons this coin is the best.

We've gotten quite a bit of play in the comments at http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2zrdxz/withdrawals_halted_as_stolen_evolution_coins_make/

which is currently the top post there

This is the kind of thing that can really raise awareness especially if done relevant and factual way that does not come off as spam.

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 01:18:00 PM

We've gotten quite a bit of play in the comments at http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2zrdxz/withdrawals_halted_as_stolen_evolution_coins_make/

This is the kind of thing that can really raise awareness especially if done relevant and factual way that does not come off as spam.

I would also like to add that we started a socialmedia team some weeks ago to utilize our twitter/fb/G+ more and also make it a lot more active. We try to post/tweet, next to the weekly missives/digests, informative articles/pieces on a regular pace. So far it has been paying off since we are receiving new interest and new followers on both social media platforms.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
coinits
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 01:20:11 PM

I would also like to add that we started a socialmedia team some weeks ago to utilize our twitter/fb/G+ more and also make it a lot more active. We try to post/tweet, next to the weekly missives/digests, informative articles/pieces on a regular pace. So far it has been paying off since we are receiving new interest and new followers on both social media platforms.

What is the twitter link please? Are you representing the official Twitter page?

Jump you fuckers! | The thing about smart motherfuckers is they sound like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers. | My sig space for rent for 0.01 btc per week.
Pages: « 1 ... 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 [1064] 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: