Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:47:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 [1112] 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667229 times)
equipoise

Activity: 794
Merit: 1000

Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 10:00:27 AM

They've credited XMR sent without payment ID manually a lot of times. Many such cases were reported in this and other Monero threads, but you need to have the relevant information about the transaction.

About me | zRMicroArray - phase 2 - Gene Expression Analysis software | [Weed Like to Talk - Bulgaria] Start a wave of cannabis seminars in Europe | Monero weighted average price stats: moneroprice.i2p
BTC: 1KoCX7TWKVGwqmmFw3CKyUSrKRSStueZar | NMC: NKhYEYpe1Le9MwHrwKsdSm5617J4toVar9 | XMR (Tip me a beer OpenAlias Monero address): tip.changetheworldwork.com
[XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency: 4AyRmUcxzefB5quumzK3HNE4zmCiGc8vhG6fE1oJpGVyVZF7fvDgSpt3MzgLfQ6Q1719xQhmfkM9Z2u NXgDMqYhjJVmc6KX

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
primer-
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 10:05:01 AM

They've credited XMR sent without payment ID manually a lot of times. Many such cases were reported in this and other Monero threads, but you need to have the relevant information about the transaction.

The discussion is about unclaimed XMR, do we let them keep it or do we ask for an audit, make them keep an updated unclaimed amount public + introduce a new policy that allows them to redirect the funds to development group the community chooses (does not have to be the official dev team).
Munnu

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 10:06:54 AM
Last edit: April 03, 2015, 11:20:08 AM by Munnu

I have downloaded MoneroX for Windows (https://github.com/Jojatekok/MoneroGui.Net/releases).

Installation was standard (extract & click .exe-file). Launched a good looking graphical wallet and prompted to create password.

Unfortunately my old PC is too slow to run Bitmonerod.

Has anyone else done the installation and ran MoneroX? It looks really neat! Highly recommend it! Kudos to Jojatekok!
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 10:08:15 AM

The discussion is about unclaimed XMR, do we let them keep it or do we ask for an audit, make them keep an updated unclaimed amount public + introduce a new policy that allows them to redirect the funds to development group the community chooses (does not have to be the official dev team).

It's a (mostly) perfectly fungible cryptocurrency, we can't force them to do anything. If they choose, of their own accord, to donate the funds that is their prerogative, but we would not ask or insist that of them. More importantly, dealing with this matter with hostility will leave them disinclined to be of assistance. If this matter is important to you then I would suggest you send Poloniex an email and discuss it with them directly.

primer-
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 10:15:12 AM

It's a (mostly) perfectly fungible cryptocurrency, we can't force them to do anything. If they choose, of their own accord, to donate the funds that is their prerogative, but we would not ask or insist that of them. More importantly, dealing with this matter with hostility will leave them disinclined to be of assistance. If this matter is important to you then I would suggest you send Poloniex an email and discuss it with them directly.

People like you never get things done. You passive problem solving got us where we are, development-wise. I'm out, find someone else to chase your donations.
argentinx

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 10:20:48 AM

you can not block the sending of coin
if you have not put a payment_id?
and enter a default payment_id
in the help of simplewallet just write that unless you have a payment_id
by whom you are sending the coin
Insert type "default"
a thing like that
seeing that simplewallet asks a payment_id
and in the help is written to ask who should receive payment
many ask for information before sending
I think that so many will not go wrong in sending coin
well of course there is always the idiot on duty
but for this
you can not do anything
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 10:44:17 AM

you can not block the sending of coin
if you have not put a payment_id?
and enter a default payment_id
in the help of simplewallet just write that unless you have a payment_id
by whom you are sending the coin
Insert type "default"
a thing like that
seeing that simplewallet asks a payment_id
and in the help is written to ask who should receive payment
many ask for information before sending
I think that so many will not go wrong in sending coin
well of course there is always the idiot on duty
but for this
you can not do anything

hrm, that would be a relatively simple line of code to add to simplewallet. Simplewallet checks the transfer string to see if there's a payment ID. If there's not, it displays "You are currently sending this payment without a payment ID. The recipient will not be able to identify that you have sent this payment. Would you like to add a payment ID?"

yes/no

"Would you like to add a random payment ID, or encode a message in hexadecimal? (limited to 32 characters)"

random / encode

random -> inserts random payment ID, executes transaction

Encode ->

"Please enter your message. Your message will be clipped at 32 characters or padded with 0's to reach 32 characters"

User enters message, hits return, executes transaction.

----
in terms of users coming from bitcoin without doing ANY background research into how Monero functions (which, lets be honest, will be a good 80% or more), this seems essential. "Oh goody, another altcoin. All altcoins work like bitcoin. Doop dee doo doo doo. "

Of course, this doesn't fix the mining to a pool problem. I think, honestly, the only way to really stop this from happening is to get people to stop mining directly to pools. One way is to get pool operators to disable this function. In general, this would help things all around. -primer, if you are willing to continue this crusade, I say we lobby the pool operators. In general, pool mining to exchanges is boinking the whole system, because poloniex can't do transactions with mixin 3 because of all the tiny outputs coming from pool mining deposits.

Furthermore, another way to execute this crusade is via the polo trollbox. Polo is LOVING the volume right now - what percentage do they get on each trade? They are making BANK. If we move our activity from Polo due to their hoarding of unclaimed payments, well they might be convinced.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
primer-
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 10:51:33 AM

Of course, this doesn't fix the mining to a pool problem. I think, honestly, the only way to really stop this from happening is to get people to stop mining directly to pools. One way is to get pool operators to disable this function. In general, this would help things all around. -primer, if you are willing to continue this crusade, I say we lobby the pool operators. In general, pool mining to exchanges is boinking the whole system, because poloniex can't do transactions with mixin 3 because of all the tiny outputs coming from pool mining deposits.

Furthermore, another way to execute this crusade is via the polo trollbox. Polo is LOVING the volume right now - what percentage do they get on each trade? They are making BANK. If we move our activity from Polo due to their hoarding of unclaimed payments, well they might be convinced.

There is nothing we can do without dev's support and they just don't care... They should be all over this, pooling all unclaimed xmr into one big fund for the core team and other third-party contributors...
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 11:07:49 AM

There is nothing we can do without dev's support and they just don't care... They should be all over this, pooling all unclaimed xmr into one big fund for the core team and other third-party contributors...

We can do PLENTY without the dev teams support. Thats the whole point of this thing. The devs are not gods and they do not need to be prayed to in order for things to happen. Yes, it would only help if they got behind something, but that doesn't leave you powerless to effect change. Look what I did with the pool shame list. I didn't ask the dev team for their holy blessing to make that post (even though it might have network effects that I didn't fully think through - a little bit o' block chain bloat never hurt anyone, no?). If anything, they coulda stepped in and said "yo this is dangerous, no one should listen to this madman".

So be the madman and take Polo to task - I'm sure you'll find followers.

And as I mentioned before, this is fortunately money we're talking about, so if polo wants to keep raking it in, they might be prone to listen.

edited to add: the Devs probably CAN'T demand this of Polo, because this could fit the narrative of money grubbing scam developers. Who knew there was so much PR in open source software development.....

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 11:11:24 AM

Frankly, I find the suggestion morally dubious. Those funds were sent to Poloniex to trade, that they cannot be linked to an account through human error does not free them up for us to take. Those funds belong to the people that sent them to Poloniex, and we have no way of knowing who they are or how important those funds are to those individuals.

If Poloniex choose to take some independent action and donate the funds we won't stop them (nor would we even know it was them who donated unless they tell us), but if we go kick up a storm, demanding the funds, what do we do if in 6 months time someone comes along and says "oh dear, those funds I thought were on Poloniex actually aren't!"

You're quick to accuse us of "passive problem solving", but if the alternative is borderline theft then I'd rather take the accusation of being passive.

akula999

Activity: 509
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 11:23:40 AM

I've sent (on accident) coins to poloniex and they've 'disappeared' - never again.
4AqrzGPfEKeZrVXyPDNXUrNeKZZGNYiXMDoY49PvdffKNTRg6xp2Qz74SZ72gT5F9HH8Vaic99ndRg6 UBGcVijaNStQjwwf

This was a few months ago and i've learned my lesson with a painful loss.

I've sent coins to Poloniex without a payment ID a bunch of times (embarrassing, I know) and I've merely opened a support ticket, given them the relevant info, and they've manually processed the deposit for me.

You're lucky or must have had a great support person to work with. Unfortunately, i also put in tickets. Even though they can see the transaction (TX ID) they never deposited them to my account. It's not a lot, 80 total. Just a crappy lesson learned.

Bitcoin: 1FzZehkiwfeeUmfmBrym8VvXX7gUj3miHe
XMR: 4AqrzGPfEKeZrVXyPDNXUrNeKZZGNYiXMDoY49PvdffKNTRg6xp2Qz74SZ72gT5F9HH8Vaic99ndRg6 UBGcVijaNStQjwwf
BoscoMurray

Activity: 450
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 11:38:24 AM

Frankly, I find the suggestion morally dubious. Those funds were sent to Poloniex to trade, that they cannot be linked to an account through human error does not free them up for us to take. Those funds belong to the people that sent them to Poloniex, and we have no way of knowing who they are or how important those funds are to those individuals.

If Poloniex choose to take some independent action and donate the funds we won't stop them (nor would we even know it was them who donated unless they tell us), but if we go kick up a storm, demanding the funds, what do we do if in 6 months time someone comes along and says "oh dear, those funds I thought were on Poloniex actually aren't!"

You're quick to accuse us of "passive problem solving", but if the alternative is borderline theft then I'd rather take the accusation of being passive.

+1

A discussion worth having might be for someone to suggest to Poloniex that they have something in their T&C (if they don't already) which gives users a time frame to claim their Monero back before it is a) kept by Poloniex b) donated to XMR development c) 50/50 or other split of a&b.

You're lucky or must have had a great support person to work with. Unfortunately, i also put in tickets. Even though they can see the transaction (TX ID) they never deposited them to my account. It's not a lot, 80 total. Just a crappy lesson learned.

This is unacceptable. Poloniex shouldn't get away with it and I'm surprised it's happened, as I too have been awarded my XMR after sending without Payment ID. If this happens to users, posting here would maybe give devs/community members the chance to put pressure on Poloniex.

Does the upcoming GUI have a drop down/tick box/prompt re Payment ID's? Hopefully it will and this should become a non-issue.
primer-
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 11:40:57 AM

I disagree.

Coins sent to an exchange without a payment id are coins lost forever. I have doubts polo honored more than a dozen claims anyway. Funny they honored yours - SENT FROM A POOL! Just another red flag for polo...
We can now link tens of thousands of XMR sent from pools to polo that have never been claimed (honoring the claim would be wrong because all the TXs are public).

This scam run by poloniex is so obvious, my stomach turns...

We should all submit fake claims, use polo public addresses on large pools to get TXs then submit claims accordingly... Maybe that will get their attention.

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 11:47:44 AM

Coins sent to an exchange without a payment id are coins lost forever. I have doubts polo honored more than a dozen claims anyway. Funny they honored yours - SENT FROM A POOL! Just another red flag for polo...

Mine were sent from simplewallet, not from a pool. I don't mine Monero (except on testnet, where there are only like 3 of us;)

You seem to be looking for malice on Poloniex's part, but I see no indication of that.

Sema89

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 11:51:27 AM

I have +200-1000 kh/s monero miners.
Is it better to mine solo with this hash power?
Can anyone tell me how to mine solo to only one wallet from many GPU's?
primer-
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 11:53:07 AM

Mine were sent from simplewallet, not from a pool. I don't mine Monero (except on testnet, where there are only like 3 of us;)

You seem to be looking for malice on Poloniex's part, but I see no indication of that.

Private simplewallet transactions are a different story - only the sender knows the TX id. I'd give them 3 months to claim their funds, not a day longer.
I'm talking about traceable POOL transactions. Two lines of python code could scrape the data from all pools and mark these coins as un-claimable.

What i'm trying to say is, poloniex is not doing it on purpose - they want to keep the coins for themselves.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 12:00:13 PM

Private simplewallet transactions are a different story - only the sender knows the TX id. I'd give them 3 months to claim their funds, not a day longer.
I'm talking about traceable POOL transactions. Two lines of python code could scrape the data from all pools and mark these coins as un-claimable.

Pools can also be patched not to make payouts to exchange addresses unless there's a payment ID. Here are the three most prominent forks, feel free to submit such a patch:

https://github.com/fancoder/cryptonote-universal-pool
https://github.com/sammy007/node-cryptonote-pool
https://github.com/perl5577/node-cryptonote-pool

primer-
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 12:08:03 PM

Pools can also be patched not to make payouts to exchange addresses unless there's a payment ID. Here are the three most prominent forks, feel free to submit such a patch:

https://github.com/fancoder/cryptonote-universal-pool
https://github.com/sammy007/node-cryptonote-pool
https://github.com/perl5577/node-cryptonote-pool

Completely off-topic but i'll oblige.

Some developer you are fluffy, we cant patch this unless we blank out the entire TXid or force payment id on all miners (stupid). Polo can create new addresses as they please and there will always be miners who forget payment id.
Drhiggins

Activity: 306
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 12:11:16 PM

What i'm trying to say is, poloniex is not doing it on purpose - they want to keep the coins for themselves.

From my understanding over the last 8 months its not a good idea to mine directly to an exchange.  I've always read to take the payment directly to simple wallet, mymonero.com, or other 3rd party GUI's out there.  I don't like that Polo is taking funds but I never mine directly to an exchange because I have no control over how the transaction is set up.  

I have read more problems about Poloniex on this thread over the last 8 months than I ever did with HitBTC.   As a safe practice I never mine to an exchange directly.  

Monerohash.com   U.S. Mining Pool
primer-
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 12:13:09 PM

From my understanding over the last 8 months its not a good idea to mine directly to an exchange.  I've always read to take the payment directly to simple wallet, mymonero.com, or other 3rd party GUI's out there.  I don't like that Polo is taking funds but I never mine directly to an exchange because I have no control over how the transaction is set up.  

I have read more problems about Poloniex on this thread over the last 8 months than I ever did with HitBTC.   As a safe practice I never mine to an exchange directly.  

Any other feedback ?! How do you feel about poloniex keeping tens of thousands of unclaimed XMR from miners  ?
Pages: « 1 ... 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 [1112] 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: