Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:36:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 [1137] 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667221 times)
antw081

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 12:08:30 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2015, 11:11:16 PM by antw081

I'm mainly after trying the new db in a windows environment since the existing daemon uses about 6.2gb of memory and from the linux screenshots I've been seeing, this has been reduced to around 34mb iirc. To my knowledge, that tag would not include the latest db merge which is the sole purpose of this build. I'd love to be able to try it, especially since it seems most testing has been on linux environments.

It is actually less than 30MB on my Ubuntu box. Also, I noticed the daemon starts and stops a lot faster than before!  Great work devs Cheesy
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
oblox
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 12:20:35 PM

user@user-PC MINGW64 ~/bitmonero-master/src/build

Maybe you are on the wrong starting directory. Should that be bitmonero-master/build?

Good call. I guess I assumed the source directory was the actual src directory and not the root of the github pull. This allowed me to build but when I run the bitmonerod.exe file built, it crashes with the log pointing to:

2015-Apr-09 06:01:49.582503 ERROR C:/msys64/home/user/bitmonero-master/src/daemon/daemon.cpp:145 Uncaught exception! Failed to initialize core
2015-Apr-09 06:01:49.582503 Deinitializing rpc server...
2015-Apr-09 06:01:49.582503 Deinitializing p2p..

I don't recommend compiling from git head if you want it to be stable, we've *just* done a bunch of merges and there are known issues as well as other unexpected hiccups. You can checkout the 0.8.8.6 git tag if you want a more stable build.

I'm mainly after trying the new db in a windows environment since the existing daemon uses about 6.2gb of memory and from the linux screenshots I've been seeing, this has been reduced to around 34mb iirc. To my knowledge, that tag would not include the latest db merge which is the sole purpose of this build.

You might try the blockchain branch (=db), since people have been using that for a while, and that avoids all the merge issues. Not sure about Windows builds from that though.

I second that - rather build the blockchainDB branch (pre-merge) - https://github.com/tewinget/bitmonero/tree/blockchain

Edit: forgot to add, most of my testing has been OS X, ARM, and Windows. A large portion of development was done in a Linux environment, but we test on everything:)

I'm in the process of building that one and we'll see what happens. Doesn't take terribly long on an 8-core w/ 16g ram.

No dice on tewinget's branch. I do see a lmdb out of space error in addition to the uncaught exception but there is well over 11gb of free space, not factoring in the 3.4gb blockchain.bin that monero already takes up.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2015, 12:39:17 PM

No dice on tewinget's branch. I do see a lmdb out of space error in addition to the uncaught exception but there is well over 11gb of free space, not factoring in the 3.4gb blockchain.bin that monero already takes up.

Ok I'm going to need more info -

1. What Windows version, and 32-bit or 64-bit?

2. What is the LMDB error, is it something like "MDB_MAP_FULL Environment mapsize limit reached" ?

antw081

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 12:41:55 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2015, 11:11:27 PM by antw081

Interesting. Its looks like using the daemon to CPU mine does not affect RAM usage at all - I've got 3 threads hashing away there.
pookielax31

Activity: 462
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 01:31:45 PM

Glad to see you lurking in Monero Oblox  Wink
Vandalay23

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 02:09:17 PM

Hey Monero Community !!

Can anyone please guide me on how to create a custom Monero burn address, or generally in the Cryptonote protocol?

Will appreciate your kind help.

Create a wallet in a live environment in ram with a super long password (100+ characters) and don't write down it or the seed. Send your coins to the address. Why do you want to burn your coins?

Yeah, I guess I wasn't specific enough.
I'm looking for a way to create a provably unspendable burn address.
Meaning it should be obvious, for example contain a lot of consecutive X's.

keep generating wallets until you get one with a lot of x's.

this vanity address generator exists

https://monerotalk.org/t/vanity-address-generator/134

https://github.com/ehmry/monero-vanity

so you'll essentially publish the viewkey?

The idea is that nobody will have the private key so nobody will have the possibility to spend the funds.

I want to generate an address, to which it's highly improbable anyone will have the private key.

EDIT: Counterparty created such a BTC address back in the days of their launch

Couldn't you still take the same advice I gave but then take whatever address was given and replace the first 10-15 characters with something along the lines of "xxxxxmoneroxxxxx", then again, the viewkey would no longer work so you wouldn't be able to view it anyway. Interesting.

Will this address be valid? will it be possible to send coins to this address? will it be checksum approved?
oblox
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 02:20:40 PM

Glad to see you lurking in Monero Oblox  Wink

I've had positions in Monero since last year and at one point, Shadow. It's a niche I believe in.
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 02:30:10 PM

Hey Monero Community !!

Can anyone please guide me on how to create a custom Monero burn address, or generally in the Cryptonote protocol?

Create a wallet in a live environment in ram with a super long password (100+ characters) and don't write down it or the seed. Send your coins to the address. Why do you want to burn your coins?

The idea is that nobody will have the private key so nobody will have the possibility to spend the funds.

I want to generate an address, to which it's highly improbable anyone will have the private key.

Couldn't you still take the same advice I gave but then take whatever address was given and replace the first 10-15 characters with something along the lines of "xxxxxmoneroxxxxx", then again, the viewkey would no longer work so you wouldn't be able to view it anyway. Interesting.

Will this address be valid? will it be possible to send coins to this address? will it be checksum approved?

This shouldn't be too difficult to do: You need to generate a real viewkey private/public pair, then "generate" (make up) just a public key for the spend side. You should be able to put these into the address format with its error checking, though I'm not too familiar with the specifics. You *should* then be able to send to this generated account with auditing available, while having them be unspendable.

What would be really neat is an implementation of http://gobittest.appspot.com/ for Cryptonote.

Edit: or I have no idea what I'm talking about.
othe

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 02:32:02 PM

Hey Monero Community !!

Theres an easier method:

1) generate 2 wallets.
2) Send coins to one wallet, then send the coins to the second wallet from there and use an unlock_time=9999999999 (seconds - 317 years or so) - for example, or even higher.
3) the transaction cant be spend until the unlock_time is over.
4) You can publish both viewkeys, so everyone can verify it.

oblox
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 02:33:03 PM

Hey Monero Community !!

Even if it did work, it wouldn't serve the purpose because without a viewkey, you can't prove what the address holds. And since the viewkey is derived from the private key, you won't have a valid viewkey.

I think the best course of action would be to somehow provably create a wallet address without ever retaining the files, seed words, and password. Then you'd still have a view key to see the balance but coins could never be spent. Not sure how you overcome the "trust factor".
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2015, 02:34:43 PM

It'll fail deserialisation.

I don't think it's feasible to create a burn address where you can make the viewkey public but prove that the spend key is unspendable. Maybe a better solution is just to set the unlock time at some ridiculous point in the future, I'm not 100% sure if we even have a rule about max unlock time.

luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 02:37:54 PM

It'll fail deserialisation.

I don't think it's feasible to create a burn address where you can make the viewkey public but prove that the spend key is unspendable. Maybe a better solution is just to set the unlock time at some ridiculous point in the future, I'm not 100% sure if we even have a rule about max unlock time.

How much work would it be to set up a website for "Monero Tests" (with Javascript). I'd love to host a site like this.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 02:43:35 PM

I had a post deleted from this thread by a MOD and I do not understand why.

Shortly after Monero was added to shapeshift.io I posted somewhat tongue in cheek and somewhat seriously that doing Dash->XMR conversion was IMO a solid play.  I illustrated this with a screenshot of that functionality on shapeshift.  The image I used is here:

https://i.imgur.com/Yva8Pjv.png

The reason I bring it up here is I am somewhat suspicious of the motivations behind this deletion.

I was not off topic.  I was celebrating the fact Monero was on shapeshift, and I was also stating the fact (I was right by the way) that moving Dash into XMR would be a +EV trade.  I still think it currently is.

I was not trolling or spamming.

I find this action draconian. 
Vandalay23

Activity: 341

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 02:52:37 PM

Hey Monero Community !!

Even if it did work, it wouldn't serve the purpose because without a viewkey, you can't prove what the address holds. And since the viewkey is derived from the private key, you won't have a valid viewkey.

I think the best course of action would be to somehow provably create a wallet address without ever retaining the files, seed words, and password. Then you'd still have a view key to see the balance but coins could never be spent. Not sure how you overcome the "trust factor".

The idea I thought of is to create 2 addresses, one normally generated address with public viewkey and the other one a burn address without viewkey at all as no one as access to it.
Burn process can be done in 2 steps: send the coins to first wallet and from this one to the burn address.
That way the transactions are visible to the public but no one has access to the receiving address.

Now, I'm not familiar with the Cryptonote checksum rules
Can anyone create an address with as many X's as possible and a valid checksum??
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1530

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 03:51:38 PM

Hello,
I consider to buy some Monero for the first time and took a look for a good wallet. I am wondering how secure MyMonero.com is? Is it like an exchange where all coin could be stolen without having the private key?
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 03:53:36 PM

Hello,
I consider to buy some Monero for the first time and took a look for a good wallet. I am wondering how secure MyMonero.com is? Is it like an exchange where all coin could be stolen without having the private key?

No, it's more like blockchain.info, the private key is only on the client side and never ever known to the website.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 04:04:01 PM

Hello,

No, it's more like blockchain.info, the private key is only on the client side and never ever known to the website.

In addition:

MyMonero only has your view key, not your spend key, so no way to touch your funds without your involvement:)

PS: MyMonero is run by core developer Fluffypony

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
osensei

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

https://monerohash.com

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2015, 05:03:08 PM

Hello,

In addition:

MyMonero only has your view key, not your spend key, so no way to touch your funds without your involvement:)

PS: MyMonero is run by core developer Fluffypony

Also, not possible right now, but I believe that at some point you will be able to use your mnemonic seed (or your keys, not sure which) from MyMonero on simplewallet. So in the case that MyMonero ceased to exist, you could still have access to your funds.

MoneroHash.com - U.S. Mining Pool
Moria843

Activity: 442

Found Lost beach - quiet now

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 05:29:42 PM

I created a wallet on MyMonero and was hoping I would be able to buy XMR there also. Is that something that may be available in the future? Until then where's the best place to buy XMR?

Hot time, summer in the city, back of my mine getting hot & gritty!!!
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 05:32:11 PM

I created a wallet on MyMonero and was hoping I would be able to buy XMR there also. Is that something that may be available in the future? Until then where's the best place to buy XMR?

Poloniex.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
Pages: « 1 ... 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 [1137] 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: