Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:00:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 [1141] 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667297 times)
osensei

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

https://monerohash.com

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2015, 10:25:34 PM

https://github.com/warptangent/bitmonero/commit/35b1500536a98e02ea459ca6ccb42e8248de43a8
^^^
There is the code to restore a MyMonero wallet to simplewallet. Finding the right way to add it to master is the trick (as the derivation is a bit different to simplewallet) - do we stick to the current long-mnemonic derivation, and then use the MM derivation for short-mnemonics? Or do we provide a short version of the current long-mnemonic derivation, plus an extra short derivation for MyMonero-style keys?

Until we figure out the most appropriate way to integrate this it'll sit in this commit, but it can ALWAYS be integrated and released by any number of the 25 Monero core contributors in the event of MyMonero's sudden and unexpected demise:)

Good to know that Smiley

I want to say that I never meant anything in a negative way about MyMonero. I was just stating the things as I saw them. I believe MyMonero is very well done and provides a great service, and I never doubted that the seed/keys implementation would eventually come out Smiley . It's just that if I were to use MyMonero I would like to be sure that I can always access my funds, regardless of the availability of the service.

MoneroHash.com - U.S. Mining Pool

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2015, 10:28:31 PM

@fluffypony: is there a security flaw when using a simplewallet seed (25 words) to log in mymonero? is it recommended?

No, it's just easier to memorise / store 13 words (and the reduction in key space is somewhat negligible).

Just remember that MyMonero is a convenience service where you're giving out your view key and you accept the fact that it physically cannot be as secure as a full wallet on a full node.

Arux

Activity: 500
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 10:48:08 PM

I want to say that I never meant anything in a negative way about MyMonero. I was just stating the things as I saw them. I believe MyMonero is very well done and provides a great service, and I never doubted that the seed/keys implementation would eventually come out Smiley . It's just that if I were to use MyMonero I would like to be sure that I can always access my funds, regardless of the availability of the service.

in my case i like mymonero because i'm sure i can always access my funds regardless of the availability of my full node  Grin

mymonero is definitively a trump card!

opennux

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 10:56:38 PM

There's no need spreading fud in the roadmap thread.

Calling out lying scammers for who and what they are not "fud", it is the duty of any person of integrity. Something you would know nothing about.

Quote: "If you see fraud and don't shout fraud, you are a fraud"
  -- Nassim Taleb (author or Black Swan and Anti-fragility; credit to opennux for the quote).

I'll give you a few more, and they are readily applicable in the space:

Quote from: Nassim Taleb
Most people are sceptical about the wrong things and gullible about the wrong things.

If you take risks and face your fate with dignity, there is nothing you can do that makes you small; if you don't take risks, there is nothing you can do that makes you grand, nothing.

You will get the most attention from those who hate you. No friend, no admirer and no partner will flatter you with as much curiosity.

Success is about honour, feeling morally calibrated, absence of shame, not what some newspaper defines from an external metric.

Economics make homeopath and alternative healers look empirical and scientific.

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 02:09:08 AM

Didn't you wanted mainstream?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/326ba2/someone_is_poking_around_at_my_coins/

Bitcoin wasn't made for mainstream.

Describe the primary use for your coinbase account
Describe the source of your incoming bitcoin transactions
Indicate the source of your income for bitcoin purchases
What's the nature of your outgoing transfers and what services are they related to
Please know that we take privacy ... very seriously.

It's like the twilight zone.

I don't think I will be using coinbase any longer. Next time I want to buy bitcoin ill just reach out to the community on the forums here and leverage my impeccable reputation.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
boomboom

Activity: 1068
Merit: 523

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 03:41:21 AM

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/326ba2/someone_is_poking_around_at_my_coins/

Describe the primary use for your coinbase account
Describe the source of your incoming bitcoin transactions
Indicate the source of your income for bitcoin purchases
What's the nature of your outgoing transfers and what services are they related to
Please know that we take privacy ... very seriously.

I don't think I will be using coinbase any longer. Next time I want to buy bitcoin ill just reach out to the community on the forums here and leverage my impeccable reputation.

That's crap, can't wait for decentralised exchanges!
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 03:46:12 AM

In that case only both parties together would be able to retrieve the funds.

Better way is with secret sharing.  Same result as multisig, without the need of multisig.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 03:51:21 AM

[coinbase kyc]

try localbitcoins for traders in your area. Or there might even be a bitcoin ATM, I noticed there are several in my location now. ATMs make it very easy to purchase anonymously. You do end up paying a premium for these coins but it can be nice sometimes for the convenience of not having to meet up with a stranger and hope everything goes well  Cool

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 03:53:47 AM

Better way is with secret sharing.  Same result as multisig, without the need of multisig.

Sure you could use secret sharing to cooperatively develop a seed but how would you derive a view key pair or public spend key without either party knowing the seed and without also developing a private spend key in the process?

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 04:06:34 AM

Better way is with secret sharing.  Same result as multisig, without the need of multisig.

Sure you could use secret sharing to cooperatively develop a seed but how would you derive a view key pair or public spend key without either party knowing the seed and without also developing a private spend key in the process?

Simplest hack is to require a trusted third party to emit the secrets, distribute the shares.  I know that is déclassé but it works, no code to write except to implement the automated bank, which is not a complicated script.  (Finding a fiduciary with suitable infrastructure and standing, willing to host, is a bit dicey.)

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 04:10:26 AM

Yes I interpreted the original "part of the seed" that way. If you just mechanically split a 128 bit seed in half without secret sharing it isn't very secure.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4898

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 04:26:31 AM

Yes I interpreted the original "part of the seed" that way. If you just mechanically split a 128 bit seed in half without secret sharing it isn't very secure.

That would be for you guys to decide on, I am not a cryptographer. That's why I intentionally left that portion vague. I'm trying to flesh out the idea, however/if ever you guys use it that is up to you. I'm pretty sure this team of Devs could kick something like this out pretty quickly.

Unless I'm missing something it should be trivial? If not what would be the issue? Certainly not the choice of encryption right?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 04:33:22 AM

That would be for you guys to decide on, I am not a cryptographer. That's why I intentionally left that portion vague. I'm trying to flesh out the idea, however/if ever you guys use it that is up to you. I'm pretty sure this team of Devs could kick something like this out pretty quickly.

Unless I'm missing something it should be trivial? If not what would be the issue? Certainly not the choice of encryption right?

There are ways of generating a shared secret without a central party knowing the secret, but they are complicated. The case where MyMonero simply knows the secret and gives out shares to the parties is easy, but is also incompatible with the usual (and important) premise of MyMonero never knowing the spend key.

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4898

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 04:50:58 AM

There are ways of generating a shared secret without a central party knowing the secret, but they are complicated. The case where MyMonero simply knows the secret and gives out shares to the parties is easy, but is also incompatible with the usual (and important) premise of MyMonero never knowing the spend key.

Understood but I am assuming this would be a burn address and without a trusted party for arbitrator how can you stop extortion of release?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 05:19:15 AM

Better way is with secret sharing.  Same result as multisig, without the need of multisig.

Understood but I am assuming this would be a burn address and without a trusted party for arbitrator how can you stop extortion of release?

Secret sharing can do all the usual multisig-ish things like having 2/3, 3/5 and so forth. So you could divide the secret between two parties and an arbitrator (2/3) for example. The hard part is still the setup though.

aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 06:06:17 AM

just in case its not obvious to anyone (unlikely): dropping a symmetry requirement, the fiduciary and the escrow agent would typically be the same

Vandalay23

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 10:23:52 AM
Last edit: April 11, 2015, 10:47:07 AM by Vandalay23

Hey Monero Community !!

Can anyone please guide me on how to create a custom Monero burn address, or generally in the Cryptonote protocol?

Will appreciate your kind help.

Create a wallet in a live environment in ram with a super long password (100+ characters) and don't write down it or the seed. Send your coins to the address. Why do you want to burn your coins?

Yeah, I guess I wasn't specific enough.
I'm looking for a way to create a provably unspendable burn address.
Meaning it should be obvious, for example contain a lot of consecutive X's.

keep generating wallets until you get one with a lot of x's.

this vanity address generator exists

https://monerotalk.org/t/vanity-address-generator/134

https://github.com/ehmry/monero-vanity

so you'll essentially publish the viewkey?

The idea is that nobody will have the private key so nobody will have the possibility to spend the funds.

I want to generate an address, to which it's highly improbable anyone will have the private key.

EDIT: Counterparty created such a BTC address back in the days of their launch

Couldn't you still take the same advice I gave but then take whatever address was given and replace the first 10-15 characters with something along the lines of "xxxxxmoneroxxxxx", then again, the viewkey would no longer work so you wouldn't be able to view it anyway. Interesting.

Will this address be valid? will it be possible to send coins to this address? will it be checksum approved?

Even if it did work, it wouldn't serve the purpose because without a viewkey, you can't prove what the address holds. And since the viewkey is derived from the private key, you won't have a valid viewkey.

I think the best course of action would be to somehow provably create a wallet address without ever retaining the files, seed words, and password. Then you'd still have a view key to see the balance but coins could never be spent. Not sure how you overcome the "trust factor".

The idea I thought of is to create 2 addresses, one normally generated address with public viewkey and the other one a burn address without viewkey at all as no one as access to it.
Burn process can be done in 2 steps: send the coins to first wallet and from this one to the burn address.
That way the transactions are visible to the public but no one has access to the receiving address.

Now, I'm not familiar with the Cryptonote checksum rules
Can anyone create an address with as many X's as possible and a valid checksum??

Bumping this one.
will pay 0.05 btc to the one who can create this address.
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 10:32:59 AM

Monero Price rises again after a sharp fall down to 0.003 BTC

Cool.

What is interesting to me is that, due to BTC fluctuations, XMR has been sitting at $0.82 USD for several days now.
https://moneropric.es/

Cool, is there a chart of the calculated price over time?
DirtyUniverse

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

All I want is a new CLEAN page for just to live!

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 01:02:20 PM

I was switched my cpus to DASH mining but now i again switch to XMR.. I fell in love with Monero. Tongue

I want to write a post about Monero. I have personal blog (https://mehti.net) and tutorial blog (https://uzmanlarim.com). i writing in turkish language, however i can translate english into turkish. Can someone give me unique words about monero to introduce to the turkish folks. I can write guide for mining, create & download wallets etc, i just need description about monero.

Please PM me.

Ok
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 01:09:50 PM

I was switched my cpus to DASH mining but now i again switch to XMR.. I fell in love with Monero. Tongue

I want to write a post about Monero. I have personal blog (https://mehti.net) and tutorial blog (https://uzmanlarim.com). i writing in turkish language, however i can translate english into turkish. Can someone give me unique words about monero to introduce to the turkish folks. I can write guide for mining, create & download wallets etc, i just need description about monero.

Please PM me.

Try getmonero.org.  Lots of material there.

And Welcome!!

Pages: « 1 ... 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 [1141] 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: