Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:07:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 [1274] 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667209 times)
XMRChina

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 09:32:00 PM

In addition to Chinese, Arabic and Portuguese, now we have someone interested in helping with Russian translations.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3dfa9z/arabic_and_portuguese/ct4lwnj

I will not rest until Monero is introduced to the entire world. China is just the beginning

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
child_harold

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 12:04:47 AM

Nothing is going to become embarrassing, because coins with massive fraud in their histories are going absolutely nowhere over the longer term.

I dunno… Bitcoin has survived a disappearing dev, a silk road and a mt gox. perhaps with truly innovative coins more leeway is granted.

Bytecoin is the innovator in the cryptonote coin story and what you describe as 'massive fraud' and 'premine scam' can be viewed more generously as 'mining in small, secretive circles'.

There are so many easier ways to scam people out of money in crypto than to produce original and innovative code, which Bytecoin continue to do.

Is it that you feel Monero will fail unless you continue to "blow the lid off Bytecoin"? Since the tech is originally theirs and they press ahead with development the only real features Monero offers is a good community and (very) probably better distribution.

Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 12:29:38 AM

I'm still trying to figure out why you're here. Do you know?
papa_lazzarou

Activity: 649
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 01:09:26 AM

Is it that you feel Monero will fail unless you continue to "blow the lid off Bytecoin"? Since the tech is originally theirs and they press ahead with development the only real features Monero offers is a good community and (very) probably better distribution.

If you really think that, you should prepare to be gobsmacked. And if you don't know why, I'm not telling you either.
ExtremeFacials.com

Activity: 190
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 01:30:18 AM

Nothing is going to become embarrassing, because coins with massive fraud in their histories are going absolutely nowhere over the longer term.

I dunno… Bitcoin has survived a disappearing dev, a silk road and a mt gox. perhaps with truly innovative coins more leeway is granted.

Bytecoin is the innovator in the cryptonote coin story and what you describe as 'massive fraud' and 'premine scam' can be viewed more generously as 'mining in small, secretive circles'.

There are so many easier ways to scam people out of money in crypto than to produce original and innovative code, which Bytecoin continue to do.

@harold, thanks bro!! I'd nearly forgotten about all the bytecoin stink, so thanks for reminding me (and many others). I almost bought some BCN on poloniex, then I read your analysis just now and thought better of it.

Don't you go anywhere ya hear, XMR needs honest debate and discussion, and you're currently providing that
Drhiggins

Activity: 306
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 02:22:49 AM

So are the Missives gone and completely dried up?  

Monerohash.com   U.S. Mining Pool
Drhiggins

Activity: 306
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 02:39:07 AM

^^Never mind^^

Monerohash.com   U.S. Mining Pool
americanpegasus

Activity: 770

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 05:35:51 AM

"I dunno… Bitcoin has survived a disappearing dev, a silk road and a mt gox. perhaps with truly innovative coins more leeway is granted."   

None of those compromised the coin tech or distribution itself.  Bytecoin is fundamentally broken, and with a name like Bytecoin it can only play second slave to bitcoin.  (it's like chess and checkers, they'll say)   

Monero has a real chance to do the unthinkable...  Actually become the #1 crypto by 2020.  So much so that /r/Bitcoin has already reached Jimmy Rustle Status Bravo over it.  Only Dogecoin managed to get them to Charlie, and I think we will go all the way.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
kazuki49

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 06:47:59 AM

It seems the trolls did not got the memo, Cryptonote already acknowledged the progress Monero did. Considering how it pretty much saved the technology from a worst-case scenario: a slow fading into nothingness caused by a publicly outcry about the weird timestamps on the whitepaper and BCN promiscuous premine.

But the 4th of July is a starting point not only for Bytecoin, but for all CryptoNote-based currencies and the whole CryptoNote ecosystem too. We have a lot of bright stars in the CN galaxy. They are Bytecoin, Monero, DigitalNote, Dashcoin and many others. Each of CryptoNotes is unique.

This coin's enthusiasts contribute to the applied aspects of the CryptoNote technology. It has been launched as a fork of Bytecoin in April 2014. Bitmonero/Monero was subject to a quarrel among the community members on the choice of name. Nevertheless, its contribution is valuable to CryptoNote’s popularization. Moreover, it has the fastest block generation speed of 1 minute.

https://cryptonote.org/coins/
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 08:46:11 AM
Last edit: July 16, 2015, 09:56:15 AM by smooth

I disagree with you on this. There is negligible meaningful innovation going on there. You see things like wallets supporting multiple color schemes, half-baked multisig schemes that are incompatible with the primary feature of the coin (ring signature mixing), and claims of support for high-TPS payment processing for e-commerce when there is in fact zero e-commerce going on using the coin and little to no realistic possibility of there every being any, certainly not any requiring a high TPS (which even Bitcoin doesn't reach and any alt is orders of magnitude smaller). All of which makes it quite clear "features" like these are really just hype for pumping.

I understand it is very difficult for people who don't have a technical background to judge what is actual sustantial R&D and what is fraudulent or hype for pumping. If you don't want to rely on me, or rethink-your-strategy, or Professor David Anderson, or Noodle Doodle, or others who have actually looked at all this carefully and have the required technology knowledge and understanding to evaluate what they see, you should find some trusted advisors with the necessary expertise to guide you. Right now you are just drifting aimlessly.

I think you are quite confused about where the meaningful work is being done, and where there is a just a bunch of hype about reshuffling of code and pointless nonsense.

Bytecoin: 64 commits

Monero: 1034 commits (not including work on developer forks that isn't merged yet).

Monero core and community innovations over the past year:
1. Electrum seed wallets
2. Optimized (and documented) proof-of-work algorithm
3. Database implementation with negligible memory requirements
4. 32-bit support and fixes, including embedded platforms like RPi2
5. 5+ third party GUI wallets
6. Merchant framework
7. MyMonero web wallet with client-side javascript cryptography and private keys never sent to the server
8. GUI skeleton
9. Portable compact blockchain format.
10. Integrated addresses (no more payment IDs for routine transactions!)
11. Several MRL white papers analyzing and improving anonymity.
12. High level Python implementation of crypto for research
13. Watch only (view key) wallets.

In progress:
1. Smart mining
2. Non-retarded APIs
3. Improved difficulty retargeting
4. Improved privacy of transaction amounts
5. Multisig compatible with ring sigs
6. Rolling hard fork deployment scheme

I'm probably (almost certainly) forgetting some on both lists, but you get the point already.

Finally, you are still assuming that the people working on Bytecoin now have anything to do with the original innovation, which is not clear at all.

If we believe everything that Cryptonote has said, the Bytecoin group split off because they wanted to launch a coin (which they did fraudulently, but it doesn't really matter if you believe that, or prefer the Tooth Fairly explanation of a coin that existed for years in the deep web that no one, including avid deep web users and experts, had ever heard of) and the original Cryptonote people who designed everything did not but were more interested in promoting the technology and getting others (e.g. Monero) using it and developing on top of it. How else do you explain the cryptonote starter kit (https://cryptonotestarter.org) they released last year?

As far as I can tell from their statements, Monero is doing exactly what the inventors and developers of the original technology (i.e. the "innovation" you are so obsessed about) wanted done. The Bytecoin scammers, not so much.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 09:03:22 AM

So are the Missives gone and completely dried up?  

No, there are some coming up, but don't know the exact release date. I know this because I transcribed one of them. Furthermore, I think we deviated from the Monday and weekly schedule a bit, so just be patient for a while and a new missive will pop up soon!

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
child_harold

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 09:13:16 AM

It seems the trolls did not got the memo, Cryptonote already acknowledged the progress Monero did. Considering how it pretty much saved the technology from a worst-case scenario: a slow fading into nothingness caused by a publicly outcry about the weird timestamps on the whitepaper and BCN promiscuous premine.

But the 4th of July is a starting point not only for Bytecoin, but for all CryptoNote-based currencies and the whole CryptoNote ecosystem too. We have a lot of bright stars in the CN galaxy. They are Bytecoin, Monero, DigitalNote, Dashcoin and many others. Each of CryptoNotes is unique.

This coin's enthusiasts contribute to the applied aspects of the CryptoNote technology. It has been launched as a fork of Bytecoin in April 2014. Bitmonero/Monero was subject to a quarrel among the community members on the choice of name. Nevertheless, its contribution is valuable to CryptoNote’s popularization. Moreover, it has the fastest block generation speed of 1 minute.

Only problem here is that for RYS's theory to hold water cryptonote.org would have to be complicit in the alleged "scam" since they acknowledge BCN's origin story. What you are therefor saying is that the "scammers" praised you. unlikely.

maybe RYS got it wrong about cryptonote.org?

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 09:17:45 AM
Last edit: July 16, 2015, 09:30:58 AM by smooth

Only problem here is that for RYS's theory to hold water cryptonote.org would have to be complicit in the alleged "scam" since they acknowledge BCN's origin story. What you are therefor saying is that the "scammers" praised you. unlikely.

maybe RYS got it wrong about cryptonote.org?

I'm pretty sure that RYS got various things wrong. When you don't have transparency, you can't get every detail right. What you can do is identify inconsistencies and implausibilities in the facts that you do have. That is exactly how fraud and other criminal investigations work in every single case. Crypto is no different.

BTW, RYS wasn't the first or only one to conclude that Bytecoin was fraudulent, he just did the most work to analyze and document the available evidence (and bring together the work of others), especially the forged white papers and the hosting and web-design linkages between the various shill coins. I guess he might have been motivated by his original discovery that their claim of a Princeton Professor being a team member to be false (which I had also determined). Professor David Anderson was responsible for analyzing the mining code and determining that it had been deliberately crippled. I determined that the claims of Cicada 3301 involvement were lies. Fluffypony rejected their claims of a deep web presence. Others made various observations about the scam too.

Wanderlust

Activity: 225
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 04:04:23 PM

I'm pretty sure that RYS got various things wrong.

The first step is admitting there's a problem. More detailed reply from CH later. Perhaps I am a troll - I smell blood.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 06:43:52 PM

From reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3difjo/call_for_participation_the_2015_digital_currency/):

Call for Participation: The 2015 Digital Currency Adoption Survey is now open! Saw it on /r/Bitcoin, Monero is one of the choices.

Call for Participation: The 2015 Digital Currency Adoption Survey is now open!

Coin Academy is now in the process of gathering data for their first white paper project: The Digital Currency Adoption Report. As part of the research process, a short survey has been created for digital currency owners around the world. The survey is now available online at http://digitalagencyasia.com/email-marketing/mailer/surveys.php?id=8

“We’re looking to gather data on digital currency adoption patterns, including not only Bitcoin but also other altcoin market leaders” remarks Ric Shreves, co-founder of Coin Academy and lead analyst on the report.

The white paper will present a comparative analysis of the leading digital currencies. The conclusions will be derived from a mix of objective and subjective factors and will analyze both the data gathered from the survey as well as publicly available market data. “It’s still early days,” remarks Coin Academy co-fouder Stephen DeMeulenaere “and we hope to gain insights into the evolution of the digital currency movement over time.”

Partnering with Coin Academy on this initiative are cryptocurrency charting firm CoinGecko, digital wallet provider BitGo, and professional digital currency development and accreditation firm, Digital Currency Council.

The report is due to be released to the public in late August, but participants in the survey can request to receive an advanced copy. The Report is non-commercial and released under an open license.

Take part in the survey and you will receive a free advance release copy of the white paper. Take the survey now! http://digitalagencyasia.com/email-marketing/mailer/surveys.php?id=8

http://coinacademy.co/call-for-participation-the-2015-digital-currency-adoption-survey-is-now-open/

Survey -> http://digitalagencyasia.com/email-marketing/mailer/surveys.php?id=8

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 07:23:34 PM

I'm pretty sure that RYS got various things wrong.

The first step is admitting there's a problem. More detailed reply from CH later. Perhaps I am a troll - I smell blood.

Quoting out of context. Nice.
Johnny Mnemonic

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 09:53:22 PM

Perhaps I am a troll

The first step is admitting there's a problem.
akula999

Activity: 509

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 10:04:49 PM

In regards to mining, what happens when all blocks found? No more mining? New mining? Just playing around with a spreadsheet and it looks like sometime early 2016 we'll see all blocks found (assuming the current mining hashes).

Bitcoin: 1FzZehkiwfeeUmfmBrym8VvXX7gUj3miHe
XMR: 4AqrzGPfEKeZrVXyPDNXUrNeKZZGNYiXMDoY49PvdffKNTRg6xp2Qz74SZ72gT5F9HH8Vaic99ndRg6 UBGcVijaNStQjwwf
Johnny Mnemonic

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 10:20:09 PM

In regards to mining, what happens when all blocks found? No more mining? New mining? Just playing around with a spreadsheet and it looks like sometime early 2016 we'll see all blocks found (assuming the current mining hashes).

The supply is unlimited and mining never stops. When the block reward reaches 0.3 XMR it will remain fixed at that amount.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 10:44:25 PM
Last edit: July 16, 2015, 11:22:44 PM by smooth

The supply is unlimited and mining never stops. When the block reward reaches 0.3 XMR it will remain fixed at that amount.

This, but also since the reward declines with every block the fixed maintenance level won't be reached until well past 2016. Sometime around 7-8 years after launch I believe, although the exact date can't be determined in advance (due to slippage in the block rate and variable reward penalties).
Pages: « 1 ... 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 [1274] 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: