Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 06:49:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 [1340] 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 ... 2124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4668807 times)
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 06:07:53 PM

This is nothing at all like the emissions debate.

As far as technical reasons, will increasing the blocktime and thereby decreasing the # of blocks reduce the size of the blockchain to any meaningful degree?  

It might. The prevalence of zero transaction blocks is mainly filling the blockchain now. In the future, who knows. So, if we might see a decrease in size of blockchain if transaction levels continue as they are, but hopefully we see more transactions, not less. So I don't think this rationale has weight.

I'm with ArcticMine re: tabling this issue until later.

However, I do see the rationale in decreasing orphan rate, even though I am not entirely aware of the negative consequences of orphan blocks - I just get the gist that they are not ideal.

Thus, I would be fine with a 2 minute blocktime. I did some digging into the original TFT bitmonero thread, and indeed this is an old issue. Back then, the compromise / rationalization was 1 min blocktimes during the solo mining phase, and then 2 minute blocktimes later.

I believe "tabling for later" will just result in status quo forever. It won't get easier to change. We say we are young, nimble, able to make the changes we want without all the politics of BTC. Are we?

This change, being trivial technically, is all about discussion, and talk is cheap anyway. I don't see how discussing it in this thread (by mostly non-developers - at least of Monero) will have any measurable impact WRT slowing down the achievement of the design goals.

Orphans are wasted hashrate; they make the network less secure than it would be without them. They can also cause "false" confirms that are reorged out later. Bigger blocks (more transactions) would make the problem worse.
Also, combining a slow-to-verify POW with a 60 second blocktime results in a nice little advantage for large pools (even without any malice on their part).

Is blockchain size even still relevant when moved to DB  ?

Absolutely.
ShapeShift.io

Activity: 448
Merit: 252

Follow us on our new account ShapeShift.com

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2015, 06:48:55 PM

ShapeShift.io is excited to announce the launch of our newest tool, Skeleton. Skeleton allows websites to offer on-site exchanges so that their users don't have to leave the site in order to do an exchange. Allow your website users to buy or sell Monero directly from your site! Learn more about how you can add this to your site here and see a VIDEO example of how CoinCap has utilized this offering: http://bit.ly/1WvSoBx

Follow us on our new profile: ShapeShift.com

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 07:18:28 PM

There seems to be some confusion around the upcoming "hardfork", so I gave a bit of clarity about it:

smooth said yesterday that the hardfork will happen in 6 months. Implementing the recommendations from MRL0004 is important, so it is clear that the price somehow reacts to this "delay" (its not a delay, they had just wrong expectations i guess)

All right, I am going to clear some things up here with respect to the bolded part. First of all, the hardfork code (the one that implements the recommendations from MRL-0004) is implemented into the new binaries (0.9). As a result, everyone who uses the new binaries will use this new code with the recommendations from MRL-0004. So it won't take six months before you can use these recommendations. However, after 6 months these changes will be enforced and thus everyone will be using them. But, as 0.9 is a significant improvement over 0.8.8.6 I guess almost everybody will be using the new binaries. Furthermore, if you compile yourself from the latest commits you will also use this new hardfork code. In addition, after 6 months there will be a new hardfork code with new recommendations and new binaries. So for example, in April they will release binaries 1.0 (guessing here) with hardfork code 2.0 and everyone can use that already. So in conclusion, only the enforcement happens in 6 months, it can already be used when the new binaries are released. I hope this clears things up.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 09:15:52 PM

Great post from dnaleor about ZeroCash:

about zerocash. This is what can be found on the website

How does Zerocash work?

Zerocash extends the protocol and software underlying Bitcoin by adding new, privacy-preserving payments. In doing so it forms a new protocol that, while using some of the same technology and software as Bitcoin, is distinct from it. This new protocol has both anonymous coins, dubbed zerocoins, and non-anonymous ones, which, for purposes of disambiguation, we call basecoins. In contrast to Bitcoin's transactions, payment transactions using the Zerocash protocol do not contain any public information about the payment's origin, destination, or amount; instead, the correctness of the transaction is demonstrated via the use of a zero-knowledge proof. Users can convert from basecoins to zerocoins, send zerocoins to other users, and split or merge zerocoins they own in any way that preserves the total value. Users may also convert zerocoins back into basecoins, though in principle this is not necessary: all transactions can be made in terms of zerocoins.

There are some issues with this protocol

1) fungibility: by introducing basecoins, payment processors, exchnages, governments etc can force you to use these basecoins. When you use the zerocoins, you are flagged by default. Basically there is no difference when you use the ConfidentialTransactions-Sidechain or coinjoin.
2) zerocoin transactions will probably be larger, so people will try to avoid paying the fees by making as little zerocoin transactions as possible
3) due to the fact that eventually only people who want to hide a crime will use the zerocoins, it will be possible that when you get coins out, there is a possibility to link those coins to coins that were put into the zerocoin-pool. So it's tricky... Be aware of this or you'll use your anonimity.

compare this to XMR:
1) when mixin 0 isn't possible anymore (soonTM) all transaction outputs (except the minted coins) are mixed by default. So you can't be forced not to use mixing.
2) because all tractions will have a minimum mixin, you can't avoid paying the fees. Paranoid people pay more for higher mixin.
3) everybody uses mixin, so it's impossible to detect money flows on the network

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
d0om

Activity: 171
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 02:55:24 AM

Props on the FreeBSD wallet - building the wallet was a breeze.

8XMR

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 03:24:13 AM

ShapeShift.io is excited to announce the launch of our newest tool, Skeleton. Skeleton allows websites to offer on-site exchanges so that their users don't have to leave the site in order to do an exchange. Allow your website users to buy or sell Monero directly from your site! Learn more about how you can add this to your site here and see a VIDEO example of how CoinCap has utilized this offering: http://[Suspicious link removed]/1WvSoBx

Shapeshift is useful. Makes things easier when dealing with multiple coins

8xmr.com
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 06:26:34 AM

Also, one of you asked Andreas Antonopoulos about the fungibility of bitcoin at this Rotterdam presentation.  Good job: 

https://youtu.be/ak1iojpiHpM?t=33m6s

it was me Smiley

Yeah good job. At least Andreas sees the fungibiility issues Bitcoin has and is willing to acknowledge it.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 06:50:57 AM

When trying to figure out when hyper-Monerozation will occur, remember to take into account Hofstadter's Law:  
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hofstadter's_law  

"In the early days of computer chess, people used to estimate that it would be ten years until a computer (or program) was world champion. But after ten years had passed, it seemed that the day a computer would become world champion was still more than ten years away"  

So in 2014 when you think, "Surely cryptocurrency will consume everything by 2016" and then 2016 arrives and it seems at least two more years away... don't be surprised. Wink  

Don't forget about that other law too where the longer something persists, the longer it will likely continue to persist (the name escapes me at the moment).  We have persisted for a year and a half; that's a pretty good start.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 07:07:37 AM

Also, one of you asked Andreas Antonopoulos about the fungibility of bitcoin at this Rotterdam presentation.  Good job: 

it was me Smiley

Yeah good job. At least Andreas sees the fungibiility issues Bitcoin has and is willing to acknowledge it.
He acknowledged it ,but he didn't really offer any type of solution-just that's it's bad and "complain to your government".

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 07:16:30 AM

Also, one of you asked Andreas Antonopoulos about the fungibility of bitcoin at this Rotterdam presentation.  Good job:  

it was me Smiley

He acknowledged it ,but he didn't really offer any type of solution-just that's it's bad and "complain to your government".

He should be smarter than that; what a logical fallacy.  

If a system allows a bad actor to wreck havoc on those who use the system, the flaw is not with the users.  

If I design a video game that's AWESOME... except that you can also right click on any player and see their credit card number.... that's not the users fault.  I can't very well stand on stage and say, "You ask why my game lets people see credit card numbers, but I pose that to YOU: what we need is users who respect the privacy of other players!"  

Bitcoin was amazing.  It was revolutionary.  Without it, we would have never had cryptonote.  

You know what else was revolutionary and amazing?  Usenet.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 09:32:41 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2015, 11:02:27 AM by nioc

Also, one of you asked Andreas Antonopoulos about the fungibility of bitcoin at this Rotterdam presentation.  Good job:  

it was me Smiley

Andreas Antonopoulos starts his response with saying that blacklisting is evil.

As far as your quote,  actually he said "you have to ask what the hell is wrong with my government not what the hell is wrong with btc?"

This is after hand waving about btc fungibility improvements and then extolling the public ledger and the ability to do "archaeological blockchain analysis".
 Shocked Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Cry

As always, thank you dnaleor Smiley

medusa13

Activity: 453
Merit: 500

hello world

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 10:46:47 AM

yeah its somehow a crazy kind of view. what has gov to do with it at all? if traceability/linkability its is technically possible, some people will always do it, if not governments themselfs.
or does he think gov should prevent blockchain analysis/blacklisting with laws ?  Cheesy

no no no, the only way to make something not happen is trying to prevent it with all force. to make it impossible/as hard as possible

XMR Monero
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 11:11:16 AM

Fungibility cannot be obtained on a voluntary basis, period. Anybody suggesting otherwise is being irrational (which is surprising in the case of Antonopoulos).
That is why privacy is the only possible enabler of fungibility in cryptocurrencies.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 12:26:36 PM

It's time to go to the db version ?

Yes it is. The old version takes about 8 GB of physical RAM on Linux so I'm not surprised you might have trouble running it on Windows with only that much to fit the process and the rest of the OS.

If you can build it yourself or wait for the next release candidate build I recommend doing that.
sleepdog

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 01:08:36 PM

Somebody posted up a link to a compiled Windows version a while back, I've been using that without any issues for at least a month I reckon. Good luck finding it in the thread though!  Wink
bclcjunkie

Activity: 833
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 01:16:49 PM

what's your swap size? i never encountered this sort of problem. i think blockchain takes up whatever physical RAM you have but shouldn't cause the error message you mentioned.

Hello,

Seems that 8GB of memory is no more sufficent to load the blockchain on Windows... When i launch the bitmonero daemon, Windows says there's no more memory available for the process and kill it. I try to unload many things and boot windows very light, but same problem.

GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2015, 01:34:44 PM

Hello,

Seems that 8GB of memory is no more sufficent to load the blockchain on Windows... When i launch the bitmonero daemon, Windows says there's no more memory available for the process and kill it. I try to unload many things and boot windows very light, but same problem.

Check out the Win 64 beta binaries in my signature.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
Shrikez

Activity: 399
Merit: 263

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 04:07:58 PM

Hello,

Hm there must be something else causing this issue.

Today I loaded an old 0.8.8.6 wallet on a Win7 64bit subnotebook with 4 GB RAM. I took a looooooong time to load (30 mins) and synch (7 hours) the last 151 days but now it is running and I can empty the balance to my 1337 Linux box with the DB wallet

Die Würde des Menschen ist unantastbar
kazuki49

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 08:27:32 PM

Fungibility cannot be obtained on a voluntary basis, period. Anybody suggesting otherwise is being irrational (which is surprising in the case of Antonopoulos).
That is why privacy is the only possible enabler of fungibility in cryptocurrencies.

I was watching his talk and coudn't stop thinking how it feels wrong as we still sit around one talking head and take his words as holy. I don't believe Bitcoin represents my best interests anymore.

kudos to dnaleor for asking a real question so we can see through the cracks.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 01:08:20 AM

reading through the source and had a question:

What is the difference between a public address and a public integrated address?

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Pages: « 1 ... 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 [1340] 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 ... 2124 »
  Print  

Jump to: