Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:51:09 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 [1348] 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 ... 2125 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4669574 times)
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 10:51:43 PM

If you get spyware infection while booted on the Windows, it can see the Linux partition and copy itself there. Your run-of-the-mill keylogger hidden inside a clone coin wallet probably can't do that though.

I don't think your "spyware infection" is going to try to search for ext4/xfs/jfs/btrfs/zfs partitions while you're booted into Windows - which can't natively read any of those disk formats - and inject an ELF executable.

If that happens, you're being targeted by a much more sinister organization.

Yes, for example LEA agents looking to steal your coins. They have the technology, and are just humans. Theft will happen.
kazuki49

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 11:02:43 PM

dual boot

very safe

If you get spyware infection while booted on the Windows, it can read the Linux partition and copy itself there.

Not if you encrypt the partition.

Which partition? You'll still have your boot partition unencrypted.

You are not very smart, I knew you were going to say that, lil butthurt dash troll Smiley

...which is why I use https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Specialties#chkboot that check for modifications of the /boot partition every new boot. I expect people involved in crypto to be able to secure themselves.
Testing Crypto

Activity: 614
Merit: 506

Applications

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 11:03:51 PM
Last edit: November 05, 2015, 01:07:12 AM by Testing Crypto

Give Linux Mint a try, or Ubuntu. "Linux" may sound intimidating, but my parents use it (Linux Mint) and they're not computer-savvy at all. Here are only a few reasons why you should at least try it:

• It's free.
  • It's very secure. Most linux PCs don't run antivirus software because it's just not needed. You can get antivirus software if you want (also free).
  • It's open-source, meaning, among other things, that people can browse the source code. This lets us verify that there is no spyware in the operating system. Microsoft spies on you, as does Apple, as does Google, as does AVG, etc. Not so with Linux.
  • Firefox comes with the above mentioned versions of Linux, as does LibreOffice. With LibreOffice, you can open/edit/save Microsoft Office documents in Microsoft format, or in other formats. So, there's no need to buy Word, Excel, etc.

Linux also generally uses less system resources. You could put Linux on the free part of your existing hard drive. You can dual-boot your hard drive and when the computer starts, you'd choose between Linux and XP. The linux installation DVD will partition your drive for you (make a backup first!). If you'd use Linux for nothing but a Monero node, you should be ok with a 40GB partition, but of course more space is better. If you don't have space and can't get another computer, you could just buy a separate hard drive and put linux and Monero on it.

As has been mentioned, Windows XP is not supported by Microsoft anymore. It's not a very secure system to begin with, and with no patches available, it becomes more of a target for hackers with each passing day. It's not a system I'd want my Moneroj on.

As one who's tried thousands of times to explain this to people, but many are stuck in their ways & always having to go back to Windows or Mac because it's the only two options is now the past (Unix/Linux or Open Source Operating Systems have been around for well over a decade). The funny thing is both Ubuntu & Linux Mint are just like a Mac or Windows build, give a Windows user Mint (Cinnamon Edition) & a Mac user Ubuntu (Unity Desktop). It's been over a decade of non-stop people wanting their XP (Vista or 7), even when there's a better soulution out there & the cost of users is far less. I don't dislike Windows, but am not a fan of Mac / Apple & only because of the poverty it takes to utilize. As a kid wanting the fancy shoes, but all grown up & will take the payless brand knowing the cost / labor in said buy.

ZwNpPhVYrSrPMS71GLc7TEnbqA9VSZopGn // Gift5YapqsZqSTW8T4S3sCU4sngCkvh4ba // 3Gwc4KzVtuJ9ADnuqzF7XRhSaaE7HkBWpr // 1PAGEHrN62tgUHncGWbbhKe9jhZGXsxFC4
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi {SAT OS hi}
illodin

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 11:09:07 PM

dual boot

very safe

If you get spyware infection while booted on the Windows, it can read the Linux partition and copy itself there.

You are not very smart, I knew you were going to say that, lil butthurt dash troll Smiley

...which is why I use https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Specialties#chkboot that check for modifications of the /boot partition every new boot. I expect people involved in crypto to be able to secure themselves.

Ok, so why it took you so long to google that up then lol.
kazuki49

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 11:11:10 PM

dual boot

very safe

I use this for years already, was just waiting you fall in your own web like every troll.
illodin

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 11:14:16 PM

dual boot

very safe

I use this for years already, I was just waiting you fall in your own web like every troll.

I believe your little brother syndrome has really messed up your head. How was I trolling? Just because I've made money and you haven't doesn't make anything I post "trolling".
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484

Still wild and free

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 11:15:50 PM

What about we tone it down and remain respectful to one another?

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 11:50:31 PM

Agree with you here, can't really comprehend the hostile tone here kazuki49. Illodin just stated a few things he thought would be relevant, there was no trolling or whatsoever involved.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
kazuki49

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 11:53:20 PM

Agree with you here, can't really comprehend the hostile tone here kazuki49. Illodin just stated a few things he thought would be relevant, there was no trolling or whatsoever involved.

I'm not really being hostile I'm sorry if it is being perceveid as this (except to Illodin because he will keep assuming things to fit his narrative).
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
October 12, 2015, 12:02:26 AM

I'm not really being hostile I'm sorry if it is being perceveid as this (except to Illodin because he will keep assuming things to fit his narrative).

I was pointing at the hostile behaviour towards Illodin. I prefer that you argue normally with eachother. Like I said, he did nothing wrong, why the ad hominem attacks then?

Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2015, 09:49:06 AM

Given this projects' goals, people using it may assume that if it's Monero, its anonymity is not in question. Actually, based on your own words (in bold in the quoted material above) maybe the slogan on the MyMonero front page very well shouldn't be "Send and receive Monero safely and securely, anywhere and any time", and should, instead, be a warning that makes an effort to explain to people that their view keys are being sent to the server, that they're using a JavaScript-based wallet that is never going to be safe, and that this is only a stopgap solution. That would seem to better fit the principles of this project.

It's one of those situations where we can't qualify every statement that is made.

It's like saying that we should change the Monero slogan from "secure, private, untraceable" to "secure (as long as you don't leak your private keys and no exploit or bug exists which lets someone steal your funds), private (as long as you're using i2p, coming soon, and the counterparties you deal with don't reveal your details), untraceable (as long as everyone is using mixin >0 and no systematic reveal of inputs leaks the real one)"...which is not quite as catchy;)

nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 12, 2015, 01:06:34 PM

And just merged into both the master and development branches.
BoscoMurray

Activity: 450

View Profile
October 12, 2015, 05:03:16 PM

As well as being default, is it an enforced minimum?
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
October 12, 2015, 05:07:41 PM

Read the following link and it will probably be crystal clear for you -> https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3n06qw/there_seems_to_be_some_confusion_around_the/

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 12, 2015, 05:22:31 PM

The default is enabled immediately, along with some of the other changes (if you build the code yourself, or once there is a binary to download otherwise). The enforced minimums will happen in six months or so once the fork goes into effect.
cryptonewb

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 12, 2015, 06:41:57 PM

Hi guys, I have a question...
I'm new to crypto (I always dismissed BTC due to its public nature) and was introduced to DASH by a friend.

I discovered something called "cryptonote" and over at the DASH topic. I just started researching monero/cryptonote, because it was mentioned  that it has private balances, something DASH doesn't have.

They are saying however, that the monero blockchain is bloated and that transacting could become very slow in the future because of the large database of transaction information.

this is what I read in that topic:
I decided above all else, that cryptonote will likely never work because the amount of information each transaction has to be run through is going to become such a large database, it will slow down so badly that it will become a slug.  I can't see how they can possibly trim any of it.  They say they can, but I have other issues I can't figure out, and I've tried.  Still, no gui, a bloated block chain and no real developers working on it makes me think that if it's ever workable, it'll be 20 years in the future. 
Being about 3/4 the age of Dash, almost 5 times the size blockchain, and far far fewer people using it (meaning not nearly as many transactions going through as Dash), their blockchain issues are massive.

Can you guys give me a little bit more information? please, no trolling, I noticed that there is a bit of back and forth trolling between DASH and monero, i'm just here for some information...
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2015, 07:03:32 PM

They are saying however, that the monero blockchain is bloated and that transacting could become very slow in the future because of the large database of transaction information.

Sure, it's an absolutely valid concern.

I think the important thing is not to compare Monero's block size with Dash, but firstly with Bitcoin so that we have a baseline. Monero's transactions are smaller than Bitcoin's, like-for-like. So if Monero were a "transparent blockchain" like Bitcoin's we would have a smaller blockchain than Bitcoin for the same transactions! But since part of Monero's "opaqueness" involves hiding the origin of transactions by making inputs appear to come from multiple transactions, this incurs an additional size penalty. This means that, for the same number of transactions, Monero's blockchain is about 4-5 times bigger than Bitcoin's.

It is important to note, though, that any privacy feature will have a similar impact. Dash's DarkSend, centralised Bitcoin mixing services, or even decentralised initiatives like JoinMarket (which is built on the CoinJoin scheme) all have an increased transaction size. If they are enforced on every transaction (ie. on a protocol level) it means the entire blockchain is significantly larger - and that applies to Bitcoin too!

The reality when it comes to blockchain sizes is that linear blockchain bloat is largely insignificant. What I mean when I say that is this: which is more convenient to host, a 350gb blockchain, or a 1.58tb blockchain? Well they're both inconveniently large, and whilst you could argue that a 350gb blockchain fits on a 512gb SSD today (where a 1.58gb blockchain doesn't) it's obviously growing so fast it'll outstrip that storage space in a matter of months. Basically any blockchain above, like, 20gb is a complete pain in the posterior.

The solution to this problem is not to try incremental, linear decreases in blockchain size. If you have a useful cryptocurrency that people are using the blockchain is going to be large. Suck it up, embrace it, accept it right now. Rather, the long-term solution can be found in blockchain pruning, whereby we cut off all the historical data and only keep a subset (the utxoset for Bitcoin, and the txoset + key image set for Monero). In this Bitcoin has a slightly different approach to Monero, where nodes are either "archival" (keeping the entire blockchain) or "current" (keeping a small portion). With Monero we will be implementing pruning in a per-node configurable basis, where node operators can choose to either keep the whole chain (default), keep only the last M blocks, or keep everything from block N. This will mean that, as a node syncs up, it will find progressively more nodes that have the blocks it is requesting, until it reaches the top block in the network, and every node has that available:)

GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2015, 07:10:09 PM
Last edit: October 12, 2015, 07:29:37 PM by GingerAle

Hi guys, I have a question...
I'm new to crypto (I always dismissed BTC due to its public nature) and was introduced to DASH by a friend.

I discovered something called "cryptonote" and over at the DASH topic. I just started researching monero/cryptonote, because it was mentioned  that it has private balances, something DASH doesn't have.

this is what I read in that topic:
I decided above all else, that cryptonote will likely never work because the amount of information each transaction has to be run through is going to become such a large database, it will slow down so badly that it will become a slug.  I can't see how they can possibly trim any of it.  They say they can, but I have other issues I can't figure out, and I've tried.  Still, no gui, a bloated block chain and no real developers working on it makes me think that if it's ever workable, it'll be 20 years in the future.  
Being about 3/4 the age of Dash, almost 5 times the size blockchain, and far far fewer people using it (meaning not nearly as many transactions going through as Dash), their blockchain issues are massive.

Can you guys give me a little bit more information? please, no trolling, I noticed that there is a bit of back and forth trolling between DASH and monero, i'm just here for some information...

the amount of information each transaction has to be run through is going to become such a large database, it will slow down so badly that it will become a slug

This is false. Perhaps if you created a transaction with 1000000 mixins you might encounter this slugishness. In all real world purposes, this is simply a database lookup (in an indexed database, mind you!) if I understand correctly, and I may not. This is a non issue. People are running monero on raspberry pi's. If a raspberry pi can handle these database lookups, this is not an issue.

I can't see how they can possibly trim any of it.  They say they can, but I have other issues I can't figure out, and I've tried. The blockchain actually can be trimmed. Aeon is another cryptonote that has succesfuly integrated trimming, and there's been some talk of further trimming, though ultimately these are also non issues. Any cryptocurrency that uses a blockchain concept will have blockchain bloat. Monero's will simply be larger. But 18 years ago i had to worry about my Mp3's using all the space on my 100 MB hard drive that took me 8-10 hours to download over napster.

re: the second part "I have other issues I can't figure out"... Thats definitely not a monero problem.

no real developers is offensive and indicates a lack of knowledge regarding how open source development works. For an animation of all the developers that have contributed, check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4xpmbu49d8

And thats just since april 2015!

Regarding performance, try it out on your own (the 0.9 beta binaries in my sig. The old release binaries on the website are not so great. This new version has been in development for some time, and will be amazing).

As for the underlying technology, it is the best out there. Here is my slide show of monero in action

http://imgur.com/a/Oe0l1

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 5142

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
October 12, 2015, 07:37:14 PM

One of the reasons I don't participate much.  Trolling and flame wars stopped being interesting to me in the usenet days.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2015, 07:53:29 PM

One of the reasons I don't participate much.  Trolling and flame wars stopped being interesting to me in the usenet days.

YOU KEEP QUIET...YOU LETTER ON A KEYBOARD!

(I jest, I'm in agreement that we should just mellow out, no use in getting uppity)

Pages: « 1 ... 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 [1348] 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 ... 2125 »
  Print  

Jump to: