Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2024, 12:42:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 [1353] 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 ... 2124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667962 times)
QuantumQrack

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 09:38:08 PM

Just copy the keys files to the folder where your simplewallet.exe is located. You can also copy your bin files so that you don't have to refresh the wallet from scratch (I think they're compatible).

Basically the [walletname].keys file has your encrypted spend+view keys pair.
The [walletname] file stores the info about the incoming/outgoing transacions.

I don't know if you meant to do this for 0.8.8.6 or the beta.  Since I had the beta running and it would take a while to get 0.8.8.6 running I copied and pasted my .keys file into the folder of simplewallet of the 0.9 beta and it still didn't recognize it as an existing wallet when I started simplewallet.  I'll have time tonight to do it for 0.8.8.6 if that's what you meant.

@Nik4692, It was seemingly straightforward so I have no idea what I could have done wrong Tongue
You are doing something wrong. What's the exact name of the .keys file for the wallet? What's the exact command line you are trying to execute to open this wallet?

I can't see the exact name of the .keys file anywhere.  I assume this is name of the wallet?  If I open the file it looks like Chinese characters.  

I open simplewallet and after "Wallet file name:"  I put in the name of the wallet like I've always done.

Thank you

There is no need to try with the previous version (0.8.8.6.) of bitmonerod.exe.
Do you have any files that have the extension keys in their name?
Better yet, could you tell us the full name of the files you copied?

Edit:

When one creates a wallet with simplewallet 3 files are generated:
  • [walletname]
  • [walletname].address.txt
  • [walletname].keys
Of these 3 the important one is the [walletname].keys file because it's that one that has your private keys.
There are only two ways of recovering an account: with the mnemonic wordlist and with the keys file.

Are you running simplewallet from the command line or by clicking?
If the later try this:
  • Open the folder where simplewallet.exe is located
  • Make sure you have the [walletname].keys file there
  • Right click inside the folder on windows explorer and select open command line (i'm not sure of this description here since i'm not in windows)
  • Run simplewallet from the command prompt

If this does not work, there probably is a problem.

Right don't open the *.keys file; tell us what the * is and also what exactly you're typing into simplewallet. Smiley

Edit (for edit above): In Windows, hold Shift then right click in blank space within a folder with nothing selected to enable an "Open command window here" option.

*= albert
what i am typing into simplewallet= albert
as I've always done

How do I run simplewallet from command prompt as you desribed?  When I open it up the command prompt reads.......
C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming\BetaMonero>
How do I run it from here?

As far as where are my keys file now,  I tried dragging them to the simplewallet application folder directly which did nothing that I can tell.  I dragged it into the BetaMonero folder and there it is.  Actually when I dragged the keys file what ends up in BetaMonero is the keys folder which when opened up contains the keys file.  That is not how it was originally, it was just the keys file itself.

Thanks everyone for trying to help helping The Drooling Masses©

Why don't you just use your mnemonic seed to recreate your account with the new binaries? (ver. 0.9)
https://github.com/monero-project/monero-site/blob/master/knowledge-base/user-guides/Restoring%20your%20Monero%20Account.md
bucktotal

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 09:41:31 PM

i've mentioned this before but i've got old deprecated wallets that crash 0.8.8.6 when i load them. it asks for my language of choice for the words then crashes. i tried the new 0.9 version and got it sync'd from scratch. but it still crashes at the same step, after asking what language i would like for my words. just letting you devs know. is there an old version of the software that still works that i could use to load this wallets and move the funds? and if so, where could i get that from?

- much appreciated

Hello from 2+2 Smiley

Although I have never used it for problems, I hear going on IRC is helpful.  Have you tried #monero or #monero-dev ?

I agree, your question will likely be answered much fastered when hopping on IRC. You could use this to easily join https://webchat.freenode.net/, just set your nickname and the channel to either #monero or #monero-dev (could also be both).

thank you guys. i'll head there
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 09:47:49 PM

Updated paper on Ring Confidential Transactions (CT) for Monero -> https://github.com/ShenNoether/MiniNero/raw/master/RingCT0.3.pdf

Quote from: ShenNoether
Here is the version I was originally waiting to post with tag linkability sketched out reasonably completely.

ELI5: Next to hidden origins and destinations that are inherent to the Monero protocol, this will also hide amounts, while viewkeys will still work, and of course it will still be auditable. (credits ShenNoether)

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2015, 10:16:04 PM

Updated paper on Ring Confidential Transactions (CT) for Monero -> https://github.com/ShenNoether/MiniNero/raw/master/RingCT0.3.pdf

Quote from: ShenNoether
Here is the version I was originally waiting to post with tag linkability sketched out reasonably completely.

ELI5: Next to hidden origins and destinations that are inherent to the Monero protocol, this will also hide amounts, while viewkeys will still work, and of course it will still be auditable. (credits ShenNoether)

"Amount key" LOL

Amazing work!   Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
papa_lazzarou

Activity: 649
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 10:58:10 PM

*= albert
what i am typing into simplewallet= albert
as I've always done

How do I run simplewallet from command prompt as you desribed?  When I open it up the command prompt reads.......
C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming\BetaMonero>
How do I run it from here?

As far as where are my keys file now,  I tried dragging them to the simplewallet application folder directly which did nothing that I can tell.  I dragged it into the BetaMonero folder and there it is.  Actually when I dragged the keys file what ends up in BetaMonero is the keys folder which when opened up contains the keys file.  That is not how it was originally, it was just the keys file itself.

Thanks everyone for trying to help helping The Drooling Masses©

OK. This is going to need some faster interaction. Try #monero in irc, you'll have plenty of help there.

~ Always make sure you have your keys safely stored and always work with a copy ~
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 11:30:23 PM

Why don't you just use your mnemonic seed to recreate your account with the new binaries? (ver. 0.9)
https://github.com/monero-project/monero-site/blob/master/knowledge-base/user-guides/Restoring%20your%20Monero%20Account.md

Thanks to all that helped.  My wallet is refreshing after restoring from seed.  Thanks luigi1111 for instructions on the command prompt.  I remember having an issue restoring from seed once when trying to use the command prompt I got after just clicking on simplewallet.  I then restored with the keys file which was very simple.

After restoring this empty wallet I will start on a wallet that actually has Moneroj.

Thanks again. 

e-coinomist
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085

Money often costs too much.

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 12:58:01 AM

Just copy the keys files to the folder where your simplewallet.exe is located. You can also copy your bin files so that you don't have to refresh the wallet from scratch (I think they're compatible).

Basically the [walletname].keys file has your encrypted spend+view keys pair.
The [walletname] file stores the info about the incoming/outgoing transacions.
I don't know if you meant to do this for 0.8.8.6 or the beta.  Since I had the beta running and it would take a while to get 0.8.8.6 running I copied and pasted my .keys file into the folder of simplewallet of the 0.9 beta and it still didn't recognize it as an existing wallet when I started simplewallet.  I'll have time tonight to do it for 0.8.8.6 if that's what you meant.

@Nik4692, It was seemingly straightforward so I have no idea what I could have done wrong Tongue
Best practice: Keep two versions afloat, oldish and newer.

Baseline principle "new Version, new wallet" and once it works transferring all funds from old installation into new installation, archiving the old one on DVD. Well, the blockchain data. I tend to store wallets 2x on CDR, since them are the best to burrow somewhere in the countryside.

Treasure seekers from next centuries need to employ truffle pigs.
c789

Activity: 850
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 04:09:07 AM

DEVS: I made a User Guide (html and images) modeled from the source code of a getmonero.org page. To whom should I send the tar.gz? All I have is Ubuntu so it's just for Linux. Hopefully some Windows and OSX folks will jump in for those OSs. You can PM me with the info or reply here.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 04:20:59 AM

Treasure seekers from next centuries need to employ truffle pigs.

No idea what you guys are talking about, but love the idea of trading my metal detector in for a truffle pig or two.

I'm going to name them Cloud and Rainbow!   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 04:28:05 AM

DEVS: I made a User Guide (html and images) modeled from the source code of a getmonero.org page. To whom should I send the tar.gz? All I have is Ubuntu so it's just for Linux. Hopefully some Windows and OSX folks will jump in for those OSs. You can PM me with the info or reply here.

awesome! send to anyone! put it up on something like mega or a dropbox link, or submit it as a commit to the getmonero website via github.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
acha

Activity: 51
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 05:53:46 AM

Hello! Please tell me, bitmonerod daemon server http://node.moneroclub.com:8880 working? Want sync with him...
phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 05:54:09 AM

Nice! So I've asked my friend at work who is majoring in computer science to help me out with setting up Linux and how to use it, since I just seem to be too computer illiterate to set it up on my own.  But once I do figure it out, I think it would help everyone out that's like me to write a guide on how to set up Linux and what it can be applied to for xmr purposes. So like a benefits vs. cons kinda thing, while also making it written by a "newb" for a "newb.  I think I'll write it all up on google docs and then when finished, anyone can come in to write in pieces where there might be parts I might be missing out on.

What you guys think?
c789

Activity: 850
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 10:01:23 AM
Last edit: October 17, 2015, 10:39:46 AM by c789

awesome! send to anyone! put it up on something like mega or a dropbox link, or submit it as a commit to the getmonero website via github.
Here's the Mega link:
https://mega.nz/#!xo1nESDS

...and its decryption key (is this new at Mega?):
!uEYu2aPGxkrUwP0FX0RjTbkrCfQ_320tNplojprxFi0

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
MoneroMooo
Legendary

Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 10:30:28 AM

Another update:

What's gone in since then ?

- new --trusted-daemon flag to disable by default commands which may leak information to the daemon (rescan_spent, start_mining)
- default simplewallet mixin is now 4 (from 3)
- from hard fork 2, the block reward will be quantized, and all amounts will be decomposed (ie, no more dust)
- fix for print_block, and the block/tx RPC now return a JSON representation of the tx/block
- new check_tx_key which allows a third party to double check an address did receive some monero, when given the tx key
- plus misc smaller things, like a sanity check for a uminiupnpc buffer overflow, and a fix for invalid keys when storing hard fork data in a Berkeley DB database.
medusa13

Activity: 453
Merit: 500

hello world

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 10:41:22 AM

massive, thank you so much MoneroMoo. they all sound like very important steps to reach a higher goal, great work.

XMR Monero
nioc
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 11:07:44 AM

Yes, thank you MoneroMoo. Smiley  I check GitHub everyday to see what work has been done.
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 11:35:53 AM

Hello! Please tell me, bitmonerod daemon server http://node.moneroclub.com:8880 working? Want sync with him...

There are 3 nodes hosted on bitnodes.net. Their ip addresses are:

https://bitnodes.net/status/

the first one has a red X to it. I would assume that means its down, but I have no idea why.

to connect, load simplewallet wallet with --daemon-host IP_ADDRESS , like

Code:
./simplewallet --daemon-host 194.135.90.69

but remember, trusting someone elses daemon for your money is like trusting a cheetah with your souffle.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 11:44:48 AM

Nice! So I've asked my friend at work who is majoring in computer science to help me out with setting up Linux and how to use it, since I just seem to be too computer illiterate to set it up on my own.  But once I do figure it out, I think it would help everyone out that's like me to write a guide on how to set up Linux and what it can be applied to for xmr purposes. So like a benefits vs. cons kinda thing, while also making it written by a "newb" for a "newb.  I think I'll write it all up on google docs and then when finished, anyone can come in to write in pieces where there might be parts I might be missing out on.

What you guys think?

Sounds great! Here is some starting material for your guides

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVppdkOThCs

nioc
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 12:32:59 PM

What you guys think?

Sounds great! Here is some starting material for your guides

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVppdkOThCs

You get to choose the installation size for ubuntu and he recommends 15GB.  Will this be large enough for the Monero blockchain as well as other blockchains you may have stored as well?  Can you change the size of the installation later?
nioc
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 01:02:09 PM

From the "FreeBazaar - OpenBazaar with Monero" thread.

So with the alledged OpenBazaar release coming up, it would be a good time to provide us with your curren thought regarding the project. If you are not going forward with it, I suggest you just donate the remaining funds to the dev fund or ask your donators what they would want you to do with it.

Yes, they will be ready soon, and during current work OB-devs changed a lot. What breaks my code permanently.
Therefore I'll release a new fork with actually synchronized status in some days after official release.

Pages: « 1 ... 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 [1353] 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 ... 2124 »
  Print  

Jump to: