Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 07:10:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 [487] 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 ... 2124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667547 times)
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 03:42:28 PM

This is very preliminary, but it appears to me that all anonymous coins based on unlinkability will not be able to solve the very serious double-spend threat.

If am correct, this is both a major and fundamental solution for longest chain rule of proof-of-work, but it also eliminates unlinkability as a anonymity solution.

Sorry to say. Again this is preliminary, and needs more peer review.

I'm reading the paper but am not seeing why their time stamp idea would eliminate unlinkability, you really need to explain your point AnonyMint, because you're being so vague here.

Also the programmed self destruction does not really apply to Monero. We have both a smooth emission and immortal supply.

(I still maintain the lowest block reward should be at least 1 monero.)
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 03:47:29 PM

This is very preliminary, but it appears to me that all anonymous coins based on unlinkability will not be able to solve the very serious double-spend threat.

If am correct, this is both a major and fundamental solution for longest chain rule of proof-of-work, but it also eliminates unlinkability as a anonymity solution.

I'm reading the paper but am not seeing why their time stamp idea would eliminate unlinkability, you really need to explain your point AnonyMint, because you're being so vague here.

Also the programmed self destruction does not really apply to Monero. We have both a smooth emission and immortal supply.

There is some talk around that (a minimum block reward) - tacotime had some nice thoughts around it, and we'll wrap it up into a proposal and put it out there soon-ish.

minimila

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 03:49:31 PM

FUD'ers are a good sign of someone seriously being afraid of a stronger and better Huh competitor Smiley

just quick owerview of dwarves features different from the other pools:

* diff graphs + handy Profit Calculator

* the possiblity to determinate SEPARATELY each worker

* powerful dedicated FAILOVER servers wordwide with 64GB RAM, SSD in RAID for more Stability. all miners' shares are calulated from all servers!

* mining directly to an exchange

* longer than half of year experience in a pool operating, code refactoring and pool-programming

* dwarfpool is not standart MPOS, but self-developed and optimized project on Phyton, that's why our miners get the most open and transparent statistic possible!
it's not just "the most reliable" with balance, submitted and hashrate ))

sorry for blue graphs, the website will be completely ready next days  Cheesy

more features to come  Tongue

I'd say check some time and compare the resut and quality of pools )) old does not mean better Wink

ou, not forget 1% fee forever for members who will come now, from Wednesday 16.07 fee will increase to 2%  

DwarfPool Quality you can trust! http://DwarfPool.com Reliable MONERO Pool
Profit Calculator and Price chart: JackpotCoin Maxcoin Talkcoin Saffroncoin  DwarfExplorer: Talkcoin with chat
Anonymous pool with failover servers and PPS: [XMR][JPC][MAX][GRS][TAC][SFR]Support thread on forum
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 03:54:06 PM

What are the inputs that must be considered when setting the eternal inflation parameters for a PoW coin? From technical perspective, I mean.

From economical perspective, 100 years of growth at 2% APR is 624% per century. Granted, century is a long time, but also the current system with its wasteful resource acquisition and general footprint on pristine nature, cannot continue 1-2 more centuries with this growth rate.

On the other hand, gold production of about 1.2% (historically higher ~2%) can be regarded as near optimal, because gold has held its value vs. oil in the last decades.

If the economic and population growth abate, 0% is of course optimal as you cannot go lower.

=> The quick thinking would point to 0.5%-2% bracket, and it must be percentage, not a fixed amount.

This is a really important matter. A 1%-point fail can easily destroy the coin. (see silver inflation in 1850-1870 for instance how a precious metal was destroyed)

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Anon136
Legendary

Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 03:55:22 PM

There is some talk around that (a minimum block reward) - tacotime had some nice thoughts around it, and we'll wrap it up into a proposal and put it out there soon-ish.

Are you speaking of a perpetual minimum block reward? Like from now until the universe dies? I have been strongly in favour of this idea for a long time. The economics are sound. Though it may be a pr nightmare.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 03:59:26 PM

What are the inputs that must be considered when setting the eternal inflation parameters for a PoW coin? From technical perspective, I mean.

From economical perspective, 100 years of growth at 2% APR is 624% per century. Granted, century is a long time, but also the current system with its wasteful resource acquisition and general footprint on pristine nature, cannot continue 1-2 more centuries with this growth rate.

On the other hand, gold production of about 1.2% (historically higher ~2%) can be regarded as near optimal, because gold has held its value vs. oil in the last decades.

If the economic and population growth abate, 0% is of course optimal as you cannot go lower.

=> The quick thinking would point to 0.5%-2% bracket, and it must be percentage, not a fixed amount.

This is a really important matter. A 1%-point fail can easily destroy the coin. (see silver inflation in 1850-1870 for instance how a precious metal was destroyed)

Risto, read the economy thread if you havent and continue the discussion there. This will be far better than it getting lost in here.

It will probably answer some of your inital questions too.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=597878.200
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 04:04:21 PM

I don't think he was talking about an X% increase in coin supply. He was talking about a perpetual 1 coin per block. You will notice that with each new block 1 coin is a smaller percentage of the total money supply. Eventually it will become so small that the value of securing a marginal unit from loss due to carelessness will be less than 1 coin per block. And thus we would reach an equilibrium where about 1 coin per block was lost due to carelessness and 1 coin per block is created in mining. The beauty of a proposal like this is that it leads to a stable money supply. No deflation or inflation.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 04:18:48 PM

I don't think he was talking about an X% increase in coin supply. He was talking about a perpetual 1 coin per block. You will notice that with each new block 1 coin is a smaller percentage of the total money supply. Eventually it will become so small that the value of securing a marginal unit from loss due to carelessness will be less than 1 coin per block. And thus we would reach an equilibrium where about 1 coin per block was lost due to carelessness and 1 coin per block is created in mining. The beauty of a proposal like this is that it leads to a stable money supply. No deflation or inflation.

I think rpietila knows I was talking about a fixed supply (per year), rpietila is advocating a fixed percent instead of fixed amount.

I believe that rpietila has good reason to oppose a fixed amount, and this topic needs more discussion. I originally wanted a fixed amount, then a fixed percent (0.5% to 1%) but that has it's own issues because we cannot know how many coins are lost, and then I went back to thinking a fixed amount would be better.

It's a very hard thing to get right, and we might have only one chance.

Anon136 , the trouble with lost coins is as they become worth more and more they will become lost less and less as people take better care of them.
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 04:22:11 PM

Don't read the paper (the timestamp idea was debunked already). Read my posts. My posts in the linked thread are not too vague.

If I am correct, it appears that unlinkable block chains can defeat the ephemeral 50+% double-spending attacks by having excruciatingly slow payments.

Whereas with my proposal, the linkable block chains can instead defeat it with an equivalent delay between the time a payment is final and the funds can be re-spent.

That appears to be a major disadvantage for unlinkable block chains. I reiterate that more peer review is needed before we accept this hypothesis as fact.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 04:28:13 PM

I think rpietila knows I was talking about a fixed supply (per year), rpietila is advocating a fixed percent instead of fixed amount.

I believe that rpietila has good reason to oppose a fixed amount, and this topic needs more discussion. I originally wanted a fixed amount, then a fixed percent (0.5% to 1%) but that has it's own issues because we cannot know how many coins are lost, and then I went back to thinking a fixed amount would be better.

It's a very hard thing to get right, and we might have only one chance.

Anon136 , the trouble with lost coins is as they become worth more and more they will become lost less and less as people take better care of them.

Please don't do a fixed percent. That's a terrifying proposition. The benefits for getting it right are so overshadowed by the costs of getting it wrong that its not worth it.

AnonyMint

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 04:31:36 PM

Hey guys, let's say 10% of coins are lost, then 1% of 10% is 0.1%. You are worried about nothing.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 04:44:00 PM

Please don't do a fixed percent. That's a terrifying proposition. The benefits for getting it right are so overshadowed by the costs of getting it wrong that its not worth it.

What is terrifying about it?

What could be the worst case scenario for 1% per year?
AnonyMint

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 05:09:10 PM

Don't read the paper (the timestamp idea was debunked already). Read my posts. My posts in the linked thread are not too vague.

If I am correct, it appears that unlinkable block chains can defeat the ephemeral 50+% double-spending attacks by having excruciatingly slow payments.

Whereas with my proposal, the linkable block chains can instead defeat it with an equivalent delay between the time a payment is final and the funds can be re-spent.

That appears to be a major disadvantage for unlinkable block chains. I reiterate that more peer review is needed before we accept this hypothesis as fact.

I attempted to summarize my thesis more comprehensibly.

AnonyMint

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 05:32:30 PM
Last edit: July 15, 2014, 06:00:01 PM by AnonyMint

You have to fund mining, but I guess that is an economics consideration.

The larger the annual % of your money supply that you spend on mining, then assuming your mining hasn't been destroyed with ASICs as is the case for Bitcoin, then the more new people can come into the coin via mining.

Mining could be the most efficient way to introduce new users to the coin, as it doesn't require AML, KYC, fraudulent exchanges, etc..

Do you want a Mt.Gox and Coinbase driving your coin's adoption, or do you want to get the coins directly to them?

Investors should understand that a larger (reasonable, not pump & dump levels of) debasement is going to drive more adoption and thus avoid the problem that happened to Bitcoin wherein it fell into a log-logistic adoption rate (instead of logistic, as I showed) and this is the reason the price will not be moving up as fast as it had been in the past.

In my view 1% is myopic. Gold has never been a widely adopted currency. Never! It was always debased bronze, etc..

Go for 3 - 10% instead!

It is possible to remove coins from the supply via demurrage.

Apples and oranges.

Users couldn't mine silver.

In crypto-currency, your mining expenditures go right back to yourselves (unless you suffer the ASICs kiss of death).

Btw, there is no way to prevent ASICs. But the problem with ASICs is not their existence, but rather that they are not readily available on time to everyone in the same efficiencies. So if you want to defeat this problem, you've got to think about it a totally different way.

You think I haven't been working eh. Wink

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 06:01:50 PM

The death of the currency as inflation out-paces adoption leading to decline in purchasing power leading to people switching to a crypto that doesn’t cause a decline in their purchasing power.

AnonyMint

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 06:04:01 PM

The death of the currency as inflation out-paces adoption leading to decline in purchasing power leading to people switching to a crypto that doesn’t cause a decline in their purchasing power.

If by the time you get there your currency is widely adopted with innumerable network effects, then nobody switches.

By the time a currency reaches widespread adoption, it doesn't matter if it is a perfect store-of-value (actually no such thing exists), as that is the role of investments, gold and other alternatives.

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 06:06:17 PM

If by the time you get there your currency is widely adopted with innumerable network effects, then nobody switches.

Maybe if you actually know how to make blockchains scalable. But if you dont than this argument doesnt hold. And if you do, than again, for the 10,000 time what are you doing here, please for christ sake go prove it.

AnonyMint

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 06:09:12 PM

Maybe if you actually know how to make blockchains scalable. But if you dont than this argument doesnt hold. And if you do, than again, for the 10,000 time what are you doing here, please for christ sake go prove it.

If your block chain can't scale then the entire discussion is pointless.

Of course I know how to make block chain scale, but I am not going to tell you.

Sebastien256

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 06:12:42 PM

I would rater say that to achieve what you say anon, you need a fix x% per year of coin creation to counter the Lost "due to carelessness". I think that loss should be account for a percentage of the total market number of atomic coins. The problem is to define the "x" value, I agree that this is not easy. Instead, with a fix amount, it like saying in the limit of end of time that there is less and less people that are losing the coins due to carelessness. Maybe that thinking is also incorrect...

In the end, maybe the creation of coin that should counter loss should not be count on x% or "y" fix number of coins per block, but be count in term of coin inactivity in the last "average life time" of a human life. After that time of inactivity, we can expect that the coins are lost, so they need to be replace...

Nxt official forum at: https://nxtforum.org/
AnonyMint

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 06:13:31 PM

Btw, there is no way to prevent ASICs. But the problem with ASICs is not their existence, but rather that they are not readily available on time to everyone in the same efficiencies. So if you want to defeat this problem, you've got to think about it a totally different way.

You think I haven't been working eh. Wink

Hint: does every user in the world need the most power efficient implementation of SHA-2 such that Intel would make it happen in every PC? No. This is why there is an ASICs problem for Bitcoin, wherein there isn't anymore equal access to efficiencies in mining.

Pages: « 1 ... 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 [487] 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 ... 2124 »
  Print  

Jump to: