Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:51:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 [489] 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 ... 2124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4668473 times)
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:25:38 PM

Monero is doing quite well lately. Slow growth... that is what we need. I hope we stay above 3 mBTC now Wink
RentaMouse

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:26:56 PM

And is it me or does the quality of discussion in this thread seem to improve between about 10:00 and 17:00 UTC each day? I've only bothered to check this "statistic" for the last few days' worth of posts but so far it holds up, at least on weekdays.

Pool admin @ http://cryptonotepool.org.uk/ - for miners who value reliability (and like orange)!
Currently donating all of our 1% pool fee to the dev fund - mine at CryptonotepoolUK and support XMR at no extra cost!
statdude
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:31:25 PM

Reacting to recent comments and in order to support the monero devs and community, we have decided to donate 20% from our pools fee to the core-dev team.

At http://pool.cryptoescrow.eu July 12th: We started donating 20% to Core-dev team. Now 40% of pool fee goes to donations:
20% to core-dev team;
20% to pool development;
60% to support the pool;
Total Fee - 1%

Join our pool and start supporting Monero development!

I have also decided to donate a bottle of wine from my cellars to all core developers who show up in my castle.

This announcement is not intended to attach an elitist image to XMR or its devs, but to ensure the community that the devs are well connected and marketing in working as planned...

...because some people have doubted it.

Grin

has there been any kind of "friends of Monero" build as I've been hearing about for donations/bounty fund?
I'd be interested on my more modest level.

Also I never realized that paid signatures can be quite generous. Adds up quite fast guys. Let's all consider taking one for the core team and monero's development

I'd also like to suggest a bounty for the first monero dice/wheel reaching 10,000 in monero wagered, first binary options site, etc.

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███████████████████████ █
█ █████     █ ▀██████████ █
█ █████     █   ▀████████ █
█ █████  ██ █     ▀██████ █

█ █████  ▀▀ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████ █
█ █████  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █████ █
█ █████             █████ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
  Website
    Twitter
      Gitlab
      Reddit
    Telegram
Whitepaper
█ ███▄    ███████▀   ▄███ █
█ ████▌    █████▀    ████ █
█ ████▌     ███▀     ████ █
█ ████▌▐█    █▀ █    ████ █
█ ████▌▐██     ██    ████ █
█ ████▌▐███   ███    ████ █
█ ███▀  ▀███ ███▀    ▀███ █
btell

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:34:09 PM

I havent been on IRC all day like I usually am, missed a few hours, but apart from moneropool.org being down I didnt hear anyone else complaining about pool connectivity troubles. Possible you had some bad packet loss on your Internet connection? You wouldnt notice it really when browsing the web but it can be enough to interrupt stratum connections.

May be... I am also trying 443 port as well as 9999 etc.

Now miner's log says:
"
Stratum authentication failed.
... retry after 30 seconds
"

then, just as if nothing had happened,
"
Stratum detected new block
... yay!!!
"

And so on, the whole day, from two independent city places, internet providers, & both GPU & CPU miners...

Yesterday all was fine Sad
DogTheHunter

Activity: 784
Merit: 272

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:56:26 PM

Monero is doing quite well lately. Slow growth... that is what we need. I hope we stay above 3 mBTC now Wink

feels nice and warm all of a sudden  Wink
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 09:20:11 PM

feels nice and warm all of a sudden  Wink
Warm like our plush version of Luke the Moonshot? ;-)
Fredericolitch

Activity: 82

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 09:41:52 PM

Sorry for the question, did not find any answer, i'd just like to change my wallet password, is anyone could give me the command line to do so ? Smiley
I guess, when you use the .net gui, it is in the debog windows, right ?
mindless

Activity: 94

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 09:46:22 PM
Last edit: July 15, 2014, 10:11:23 PM by mindless

Hello guys,

I observe that connections to the XMR pools are unstable today world-wide, I tried them from two independent geographical places with both Wolf's & Nvidia miners. Does anybody know, are most XMR pools under DDOS today?

There was a botnet set up to hop between pools. It makes too many connections and the pool stops working normally.

Zone117x has updated the pool code and set up some protection.

Stable mining at: http://pool.cryptoescrow.eu: Updated to new code w/ payment history & automatic donations to Monero development

Monero Development Supporting Pool - Low 0.8% Fee + 0.2% Donation to Monero development, 24/7 Monitoring.
iloveny161

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 09:50:01 PM

Dev team, could you guys give some more info on who wrote the whitepaper review? http://monero.cc/downloads/whitepaper_review.pdf

It just says that he is a mathematician, but that's pretty vague and it would be great if we could look at some of his research/other papers.

I can't find anything about him on google either.

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 09:51:48 PM

Sorry for the question, did not find any answer, i'd just like to change my wallet password, is anyone could give me the command line to do so ? Smiley

It's not possible at present, we will add this functionality in future:) If you want to change your password right now you have to restore your wallet from the 24 word deterministic seed, or you have to create a new wallet and move your funds over.

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 09:53:43 PM

Dev team, could you guys give some more info on who wrote the whitepaper review? http://monero.cc/downloads/whitepaper_review.pdf

It just says that he is a mathematician, but that's pretty vague and it would be great if we could look at some of his research/other papers.

I can't find anything about him on google either.

It's a pseudonym (hence the shout out to Emmy Noether), same as Satoshi Nakamoto, same as Nicolas van Saberhagen. If he chooses to identify himself in future that is his prerogative, but he has asked to remain under the guise of a pseudonym at this stage.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 10:01:44 PM

For miner that will be widely accessible to the general public, this problem could already be solved for Bitcoin ...

Which has nothing to do with Monero.

Again I ask to please keep posts on this thread directly related to Monero. Some of the comments you have posted are directly related, but many are clearly not. Please post the rest elsewhere.

Fredericolitch

Activity: 82

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 10:02:54 PM

It's not possible at present, we will add this functionality in future:) If you want to change your password right now you have to restore your wallet from the 24 word deterministic seed, or you have to create a new wallet and move your funds over.

Oh ok, thx for the fast answer Smiley
Will have to resign to create another wallet so Smiley
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 10:04:45 PM

Ok so im reading the mini blockchain whitepaper. It appears to be a marginal improvement in some ways but it doesnt address the fundemental difficulty in scaling blockchains. The scalability problem doesn’t have anything to do with the size of the blockchain. It comes from the fact that each actor's transactions must be verified by all other network participants. Its the same math as network effects, except its a negative network effect.

Suppose actors make 1 transaction per minute.

1 actors = 0 verifications because he doesnt need to verify his own transactions.
2 actors = 2 transactions per minute. 2 * 2 actors = 4 transactions verifications. They dont need to verify their own so 4 - 2 = 2.  
3 actors = 3 transactions per minute. 3 * 3 = 9 verifications. they dont need to verify their own so 9 - 3 = 6.
4 actors = (4*4)-4=12
5 actors = (5*5)-5=20
ect...

This very quickly gets out of hand when you consider that there is a cost associated with verifying a transaction. even if that cost is infinitesimal.

Maybe the miniblockchain addresses this criticism and I just missed it though.

I've been perpetually confused as to how the finite miniblockchain scheme can possibly be used to enforce data consensus in a byzantine generals problem-like network. I'd appreciate it if someone could ELI5 it to me.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
RentaMouse

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 11:43:14 PM

Please excuse me a bit of advertising, I try and keep 95% of my posts intelligent/helpful so hopefully people will allow me the odd diversion

http://cryptonotepool.org.uk/ has decided to donate all of our 1% pool fee to the XMR dev fund for at least the next two weeks of mining!

Just about to hit our 700th mined block so the pool is tried and tested over several weeks, added more cpu cores recently to cope with 40k connections from a rogue botnet attack.

If you're mining XMR then maybe consider pointing 1 cpu/gpu our way, or add us to your backup pools list - you'll still be earning the same and investing in the future of Monero at the same time Smiley

Our Information for Miners page has all details, for experienced miners and new starters

Pool admin @ http://cryptonotepool.org.uk/ - for miners who value reliability (and like orange)!
Currently donating all of our 1% pool fee to the dev fund - mine at CryptonotepoolUK and support XMR at no extra cost!
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 11:57:44 PM

Ok so im reading the mini blockchain whitepaper. It appears to be a marginal improvement in some ways but it doesnt address the fundemental difficulty in scaling blockchains. The scalability problem doesn’t have anything to do with the size of the blockchain. It comes from the fact that each actor's transactions must be verified by all other network participants. Its the same math as network effects, except its a negative network effect.

Suppose actors make 1 transaction per minute.

1 actors = 0 verifications because he doesnt need to verify his own transactions.
2 actors = 2 transactions per minute. 2 * 2 actors = 4 transactions verifications. They dont need to verify their own so 4 - 2 = 2.  
3 actors = 3 transactions per minute. 3 * 3 = 9 verifications. they dont need to verify their own so 9 - 3 = 6.
4 actors = (4*4)-4=12
5 actors = (5*5)-5=20
ect...

This very quickly gets out of hand when you consider that there is a cost associated with verifying a transaction. even if that cost is infinitesimal.

Maybe the miniblockchain addresses this criticism and I just missed it though.

I've been perpetually confused as to how the finite miniblockchain scheme can possibly be used to enforce data consensus in a byzantine generals problem-like network. I'd appreciate it if someone could ELI5 it to me.

It does it by having a blockchain and in that blockchain they store a merkel root hash of the database of all active addresses and their balances. In essense it solves it exactly the way bitcoin does, just at its core its being used to enforce consensus on a record of account balances rather than a record of transactions.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 12:15:49 AM

So I've been trying to think what I could do to help the community. My last idea didn't work out. So I was thinking, what if I made it super easy for people to acquire monero.

1) Send bitcoin to address through blockchain.info with a note attached containing your monero address. (or alternatively digitally sign your monero address with what ever bitcoin address you send from)
2) I use that much bitcoin to perform a market order on the exchange
3) I send how ever much monero I am able to buy to your monero address

Would anyone be interested in this service. You benefit because you don't have to make an account a poloniex or find people in the otc. I benefit because people buying pushes up the price and i hold a monero or two myself.

The only thing is that maybe going onto the exchange and buying yourself is easy enough that this isnt worth it but im curious what you guys think. if this sounds like a service that would be super valuable to you than who am I to judge.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 12:21:50 AM

So I've been trying to think what I could do to help the community. My last idea didn't work out. So I was thinking, what if I made it super easy for people to acquire monero.

1) Send bitcoin to address through blockchain.info with a note attached containing your monero address. (or alternatively digitally sign your monero address with what ever bitcoin address you send from)

Would anyone be interested in this service. You benefit because you don't have to make an account a poloniex or find people in the otc. I benefit because people buying pushes up the price and i hold a monero or two myself.

The only thing is that maybe going onto the exchange and buying yourself is easy enough that this isnt worth it but im curious what you guys think. if this sounds like a service that would be super valuable to you than who am I to judge.

Would probably be more interesting if you make it as automatic as possible (ie, immediate) with a fixed price. Fixed price not being absolute of course, but something like poloniex + N%.
Not knowing how much XMR you'll get when sending your BTC would be very hard to most people, I think.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 12:23:29 AM

Would probably be more interesting if you make it as automatic as possible (ie, immediate) with a fixed price. Fixed price not being absolute of course, but something like poloniex + N%.
Not knowing how much XMR you'll get when sending your BTC would be very hard to most people, I think.

I don't know enough about security to make something like this and not get hacked.

statdude
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 12:24:55 AM

I don't know enough about security to make something liek this and not get hacked.

Ive been pinged more than once buy buyers not willing to use exchange.

█ █████     █ ▀██████████ █
█ █████     █   ▀████████ █
█ █████  ██ █     ▀██████ █

█ █████  ▀▀ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████ █
█ █████             █████ █
  Website
    Twitter
      Gitlab
      Reddit
    Telegram
Whitepaper
█ ███▄    ███████▀   ▄███ █
█ ████▌    █████▀    ████ █
█ ████▌     ███▀     ████ █
█ ████▌▐█    █▀ █    ████ █
█ ████▌▐██     ██    ████ █
█ ████▌▐███   ███    ████ █
█ ███▀  ▀███ ███▀    ▀███ █
Pages: « 1 ... 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 [489] 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 ... 2124 »
  Print  

Jump to: