Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 07:59:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [PRICE REDUCED] DPS-2000BB 2000W Server PSU Interface Board  (Read 62010 times)
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1849

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:58:23 PM
Last edit: December 18, 2014, 10:38:11 PM by sidehack

We are now shipping from standing stock.

Updated details at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=637595.msg8961301#msg8961301

We at Gekkoscience don't really like to do preorders. We've never done one before, because we much prefer to only take money from people when we can immediately ship them the purchased product. This time around though, we have to do things a bit differently and we're gonna try our best to make sure it's better for everyone.

We've assembled and successfully tested our prototype DPS-2000 interface boards, and we've contacted a few people who will be receiving a handful of boards in the next few days to use and test; we'd appreciate if some of them were to post reviews of the product so it's not just us talking about it.
The DPS-2000BB PSU requires a 240V input and is rated for 12V 165A output, but is capable of sourcing about 200A continuous. Our board is rated to handle 240A throughput. The board has 12 screw terminals per rail, so it can support 12 DC power cables without doubling up. The DPS-2000BB has no internal fans, but our boards have a 4-wire fan controller built in (with two 4-pin headers) for full-range PWM control of server-grade fans. The board also has the same pin header as our D750 boards, allowing external fan control, current sense output, 3.3VSB, 5V2A, POK, external turn-on, and current-share for load balancing.

(here's a top view of the new board lookin' all sexy)

(snuggled up against the power supply)

(outputting a sustained 196A while powering four OC'd S1 and two custom-OC'd Cubes)

Development has been stalled so far, sometimes by other projects and sometimes by lack of funding, so we're behind on our expected timeline for the actual production run of these boards. We might have a single large customer, but we also have had a jillion people asking about these boards over the past couple months so we know we'll have a multitude of small orders as well, which must not be neglected.

Additionally convoluting the process, is this board will likely have two variants. I don't know how many people actually utilized the feature, but all of our D750 boards shipped with the ability to measure output current. We designed the same feature on the DPS-2000 board. Unfortunately the parts are more expensive, because it takes a different sort of hardware to compactly and efficiently measure 200A. Because of this, we'd like to offer a version of the board without current sense as well. Unfortunately that also sorta means either a lot of extra work during assembly, or a second run of PCBs. PCB pricing is heavily dependent on "economy of scale", sometimes to the point that an order of 25 boards actually costs about the same as an order of 100. So here's the plan, as we're thinking about it right now.

We'll offer preorders on boards, with the option to request any number of Current-Sense (CS) boards at $75 apiece, or Non-Current-Sense (NCS) boards at $60 apiece. Bulk pricing will apply for these, as seen in the price table at the bottom. General pre-orders for NCS boards will be open indefinitely, but CS board preorders will only be available for two weeks, ending June 17th. We'll require a minimum number of CS sales before placing the materials orders for those boards (probably at least 100), so if we don't meet that threshold we won't be offering CS boards. Anyone who purchased a CS board will have the option to either a) cancel the CS order and receive a full refund for the original amount paid, in the original currency paid, or b) transfer the order to NCS boards and receive a partial refund for the price difference based on the original amount paid, in the original currency paid, or c) transfer the order to an equal dollar amount of NCS boards based on the original amount paid, in the original currency paid, with the difference to be paid or refunded as negotiated.

As several other buy threads have done for things like this, I'd like to keep track of the current queue of orders based on First-Come First-Served, using a public list of what's been purchased using what currency. We'll be basing the BTC price off Coinbase sell-price exchange rate at the time of order, and we'll also accept PayPal transfers. All the funds will be held until after June 17th, at which time we'll determine whether we can make the CS boards or not. Once the initial preorder period has passed, it'll be 5 to 7 weeks before we start shipping boards, to allow for all the large parts orders to come in and we start production.

To respect our possible Large Single Customer, as well as all the preorder customers, we'll be dividing up the boards as they come off the line. If the LSC orders what amounts to 50% of the total order volume, then as boards come off the line, 50% of them will be held for the LSC and the other 50% will be shipped out to preorder customers starting at the top of the queue. That way the big guy still gets boards in a reasonable time (as we'd probably divide up shipments into smaller lots) and preorder people don't get stuck at the end of the line.

We're also working on cable supply, and will continue to stock and offer the standard 18" PCIe 6-pin 16AWG cables for $3.50 apiece. We'll also have 36" PCIe 6-pin 16AWG cables for $4.50 apiece.

QuantityPrice
1-5$55
6-24$52
25-99$50
100+$48

Shipping will have to be figured on a per-order basis. Up to 4 boards and 48 cables will fit in a Regional A box and ship for $10. Past that and we'll have to estimate a quote. For ordering info, either PM me or email sales@gekkoscience.com and make sure to include
1) your forum nick
2) the country we'll be shipping to
3) how many of each type board you'd want
4) how many of each length cable you'd want
5) if you'd prefer to pay with BTC or PayPal

So here's the deal. What do people think of that deal?

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:58:53 PM
Last edit: August 19, 2014, 11:19:28 PM by sidehack

Message sidehack or email sales@gekkoscience.com for ordering information

DPS-2000BB BTC preorder address: 1DPS2kPoGoX69cH6FNS45tWyQFMH79Z7T

Preorders to date:

IDHandleBoardsPaidShipped
0leber0262BTCyes
1CrazyGuy4BTCyes
2Xer0??no
3AirWhale4BTCholding
4bobsag340paidyes
5unrealized1paidyes
6Tolip4paidyes
7Jiles1paidyes
8AmDD2paidyes
9Qeu6paidyes
10data552paidyes
11Larson2paidyes
12Dwight10yesyes
132GOOD2nope
14Scrappy Do14yesyes
15Olsen5yesyes
16Leibl2yesyes
17kgb2mining16yesyes
18Crawford5yesyes
19Thang6yesyes
20Byron2yesyes
21simone2yesyes
22zulover6yesyes
23Dwight6yesyes
24tlon194yesyes
25Ethan4yesyes

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:05:39 PM

could you make one for: 379124-001-HP ML350/370 DL380 G5 1000W POWER SUPPLY ?
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:10:34 PM
Last edit: June 03, 2014, 06:21:37 PM by sidehack

Not an official endorsement, but http://www.gigampz.com/index.html

That guy got to market while we were still perfboard-prototyping. We decided it wasn't worth our limited resources to try and fight him for market share when he had about a two-month head start. Maybe if enough people are interested, and someone gives us a couple thousand bucks to get started. We could maybe set up a similar preorder, with a minimum threshold of 250 boards total, but right now I don't even have a good per-board price estimate.

Airwhale

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 10:31:27 PM

Big fan of your dell boards.

Would you consider selling preorder kits for this?  That is,  breakout board,  PS, and PCI-e adaptors?  Or would that needlessly complicate your life?
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 10:36:01 PM

I'll have to check what power supplies we can get our hands on, but we basically are selling preorders on the boards and cables. Full kits, you run into the question of how many cables and what length.

Airwhale

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 10:52:30 PM

Gotcha.  So you would just need the PSU?  Sounds good =)
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 11:00:16 PM

We could maybe do a stock kit of 1 PSU, 1 board and 10 18" cables, then a super kit of 1 PSU, 1 board and 10 36" cables for $10 more. And if you want more than 10 cables per board you'd have to buy extra. I'll talk to our PSU guy and see what we can get our hands on, because having the PSU for sale would be pretty nice for customers. I just don't have a price range on those yet; we're mostly concerned about the things that are going to require money now for delivery in the future rather than things we get as soon as we pay for them.

Xer0

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

°^°

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 05:36:08 PM

interested in 1x CS and 7x NCS to Germany
r00t$

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 07:54:30 PM

I have sent BTC for a board and 12 cables...wondering if I could get some of the longer 36" cables for a little extra?

Thanks as always sidehack and crew.

*edit*...assuming the board hasn't already been shipped and sitting on my front porch when i get home...which in that case will promptly post a review of the product
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 08:04:03 PM

Most of the beta boards shipped out yesterday. We should have gotten them out Tuesday. One of our bonehead engineers (well, me) based the fan header pinout on a fan we were using for testing and it made it all the way to PCB manufacture before anyone caught it (well, I did). So we wired up some adapters to fit on the fan header pins so actual standard 4-wire fans will mate natively. That slowed us down a bit. Thankfully that's the only problem we've identified with the board so far, everything else is working perfectly. r00t$, you'll probably see your box tomorrow or Saturday.

Blacktheo79

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 03:51:38 PM

looking great!
just got 4 of these PSU's for £10 but cba to mod them if your board is out soon  Grin

what is the eta for shipping?
also what is the rough shipping cost to UK? (probably 3 or 4 NCS boards dependent on postage)
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 03:54:21 PM

Once the initial preorder period has passed, it'll be 5 to 7 weeks before we start shipping boards, to allow for all the large parts orders to come in and we start production.

I know it sucks, but money doesn't grow on trees and the only way to keep the prices low enough that you guys can actually buy stuff is to order in bulk which takes a large initial sum.

Blacktheo79

Activity: 2

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 04:38:39 PM

ah completely missed that!
will mail you later with order when i know how many i will need
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 04:14:59 AM

I've been pretty busy this week getting some stuff ironed out, but Saturday I'm going to take time and get back to everyone that's asked about preorders. So far no money has changed hands because I haven't gotten the tracking organization fully set up to make sure everything is accounted for accurately, but that'll all be done soon. Everyone that's emailed or messaged about orders so far should hear back from me by Saturday night.

firejuan

Activity: 256
Merit: 250

Because it's sterile...

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 09:13:56 AM

Interested in this project.  I don't know if I can use the board right now, because the lack of equipment and the rental home I am staying in is an older home that probably could not handle the voltage requirements of the PSU.

Scoobypup

Activity: 39

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 08:45:00 AM

Do you have posted any instructions/info on the proper use of the pins for these? Like, which pins are which for the fan header, what do the dip switches do, how to properly and safely configure for load balancing for 2/3/4 psu's, etc.? Also, for me, some of the pin labels are a tad hard to read due to the tiny font size. Could you post a pin-out for those as well?

One other thing...the pics posted show little chips between the top connectors and the terminal, but mine only have a bunch of solder. Is this because of the current sensing option, or because I have test boards? And which set of terminals is + vs -? I can't see any markings stating what is what on the boards.

Thanks.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 02:17:47 PM

The pin header and DIP switch operation is exactly the same as on the D750 boards, so glancing over the D750 V0.5 documentation on the gekkoscience website should fill that in. The chips at the connector are there for current sense, so NCS boards don't have them. It's high-side current sensing so the side with the chips/solderbridge is the 12V side.

You should also have received some pin header adapters, which the PCB accidentally has the 12V and GND pins on the fan headers fliped; the adapters fix that.

r00t$

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 04:11:35 PM

Most of the beta boards shipped out yesterday. We should have gotten them out Tuesday. One of our bonehead engineers (well, me) based the fan header pinout on a fan we were using for testing and it made it all the way to PCB manufacture before anyone caught it (well, I did). So we wired up some adapters to fit on the fan header pins so actual standard 4-wire fans will mate natively. That slowed us down a bit. Thankfully that's the only problem we've identified with the board so far, everything else is working perfectly. r00t$, you'll probably see your box tomorrow or Saturday.

I received it Friday and very easily replaced 3 of the Dell Z750's I had strung up on my rack. SO much cleaner looking, and also better now that I got my mining equipment off my basement 110V circuit onto it's own dedicated 220V.

This baby hums along happily, although I don't know the total load I have on it, as my kill-a-watt meter is only 110V compatible. It's pushing a habanero (800W), some Drillbit bitfury boards (300W), some Avalon stuff (500W), and a whole mess of fans. None of the wires are warm to the touch. 

Having 12 power connectors on 1 PSU is the cat's ass..but I couldn't imagine doubling up on those spades. It's already pretty right in there with the 12. Beautiful job on the board.

Having fans in the right spot, and actually blowing through the PSU, is very important. I currently have 2 fans zip tied to the side, using the on-board fan header pins..one positioned right at the end where the breakout board connects, and one in the middle. Those seem to be the hot spots on the PSU. The pin header adapter actually worked out nicely for me by bringing the pins up off the breakout board a bit.

I'll try to snap some pics once I get everything wire managed a little nicer.

Excellent job Gekko Science team!

Scoobypup

Activity: 39

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 10:08:19 PM

Thanks sidehack. The document had all the board info I was looking for.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: