Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:15:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bounty for Open-Sourced XMR/Cryptonight GPU Miner Bounties Thread  (Read 170867 times)
G2M

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Activity: 616

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 04:04:29 AM

And just abt the time I was abt 2 say damn xmr u jus dun got it going on.

Newayz I got about 300 now if be crazy gentlemen wanna let it out in2 theoen.

300 lets go letsv go

Wind picked up: F4BC1F4BC0A2A1C4

banditryandloot goin2mars kbm keyboard-mash theusualstuff

probably a few more that don't matter for much.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 08:05:37 AM

smooth, how about any open source miner that increases hashrate?

I'd give a little to a significant open source boost to the hash rate of nv but supporting the other major platform at all seems more significant to me.

ajiekceu4

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 03:09:01 PM

Hello All. I am ready to pay 2 BTC (1000 XMR) for open sourced AMD miner with equal to Claymore CryptoNote GPU Miner v9.3 performance.
chrysophylax
Legendary

Activity: 2814
Merit: 1091

--- ChainWorks Industries ---

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2015, 04:08:30 PM

Hello All. I am ready to pay 2 BTC (1000 XMR) for open sourced AMD miner with equal to Claymore CryptoNote GPU Miner v9.3 performance.

Equal to Claymore's probably isn't an easy feat... if you lowered the threshold a bit, you might find some takers.

or increased the bounty? ...

Smiley ...

#crysx

bensam1231
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 06:33:30 AM

Equal to Claymore's probably isn't an easy feat... if you lowered the threshold a bit, you might find some takers.

Smiley ...

#crysx

This works, too. Tongue

Personally, I'd be a little more inclined to work on a somewhat easier bounty for somewhat less coin.

Something worth noting, even if you happened to have a equivalent hashrate to Claymore, it still wouldn't be worth mining compared to Neo, Quark, or x11. This is purely for securing the network against botminers unless I'm mistaken. For those of you that care about such things.

I buy private Nvidia miners. Send information and/or inquiries to my PM box.
ajiekceu4

Activity: 38

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 08:51:55 AM
Last edit: July 06, 2015, 10:16:41 AM by ajiekceu4

Smiley ...

#crysx

This works, too. Tongue

Personally, I'd be a little more inclined to work on a somewhat easier bounty for somewhat less coin.

Something worth noting, even if you happened to have a equivalent hashrate to Claymore, it still wouldn't be worth mining compared to Neo, Quark, or x11. This is purely for securing the network against botminers unless I'm mistaken. For those of you that care about such things.

But if monero price will rise, open sourced nvidia and amd software (with good performance) will be big plus for miners, which can switch from "Neo, Quark, or x11" to mining monero with its hardware (just compile and run or use compiled version). And it will result in overall network hasrate and monero security. Some miners don't use Proprietary soft for some reasons. I think it's better to have open sourced AMD miner than not to have.
notabeliever

Activity: 722
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 12:16:35 PM

https://github.com/tsiv/ccminer-cryptonight

Fresh out of the oven, don't have any performance data beyond personal testing during development with my GTX 750 Ti rig. Does around 200-220 H/s per card for a 750 Ti, both stratum and http protocols supported for pool mining. Haven't actually tested solo. Compiles and runs both on Linux and Windows pretty much straight out of the box. Linux highly recommeded over Windows. Has issues with massive lag if run on a Windows primary GPU, practically renders the computer unusable due to the hashing kernel grabbing the GPU for 1-2 seconds at a time. Pretty much what happens with every other algorithm, this is just orders of magnitude worse. Looking into breaking the kernel into smaller pieces to hopefully alleviate the problem.

tsiv you rock for developing this...

Am I to understand that the miner will bog a 750Ti desktop? 

I would have to disagree with you that pretty much every other algo bogs the machine if under Windows with primary GPU, as I mine nonstop with my rig, only has 750Ti and I can do anything in windows with no lag, no slowing of the miner (cudaminer or ccminer).  Only exceptions are GPU-intensive apps like 3D gaming.
I don't know if you fixed your problem yet. I have the same setup however in your windows task manager , right click on the ccminer.exe file and wallets to. go to affinity and change from all cpu's to using just one. right click again on ccminer.exe file and select set priority to below normal.
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2015, 10:53:20 AM
Last edit: July 28, 2015, 11:05:14 AM by GingerAle

Okay, so I found a developer willing to work on new open source Nvidia mining software - djm34. His background can be seen here:

https://github.com/djm34

So the goal of the bounty is as follows:

Open source Nvidia mining software that performs better than Tsivs existing software. For the record, here's a screenshot by _sp

Granted, these hashrates are for _sp's modified kernals.

djm34 apparently fiddled with tsivs code a little bit and got these numbers:

260H/s 750ti
400H/s 780ti
560H/s 980

The 750 ti usually gets 250 h/s without _sp's mod. If anyone has any other hashrates to post for comparison (780ti and 980), please take screenshots.

--- The financials ----

So, as all Monerians should know by now, the Core team has created the forum funding system, which is an attempt to move away from the conventional bounty system. The primary benefit of this system is the developer can set any milestone and timeline for payouts, and then the funders basically agree or disagree based on whether or not they fund something.

djm34 really wants an advance for his work, and this advance is not compatible with the forum funding system. I tried to convince him that a milestone payment for evidence of effort was equivalent to an advance (except that it was held in escrow by fluffypony), but apparently advances are "industry standard".

Advance: "1000 - 1500 xmr"
Total: 5000 XMR

So, as it stands, we would have to send 1k - 1.5k xmr to djm for him to start to work on the problem. After completion of the task, he would get the remaining bounty.

If anyone is willing to provide this advance, please post.

He said he could complete the task in 3 weeks, and that he didn't want to make any promises, but thinks he can get the cards on par with the AMD counterpart.

so, all details

Advance: "1000 - 1500 xmr"
Total: 5000 XMR
Timeline 3 weeks
Goal nvidia on par with amd counterpart (so around 800 h/s on a 980ti i guess)
Final products open source code on github and compiled binaries for windows and linux

Additional goals (not discussed yet) could be scaleability (the code could work on any future card, at least a maxwell card) and increased usability (getting tsivs to work in linux requires much patience). But these could be pie in the sky for all I know.

I am going to pitch this task for him on the forum funding system, with the "evidence of effort" milestone in place of the advance.

If anyone wants to pony up the advance here, that will work as well.

The rest of the bounty will be done on the forum funding system.

Also, if Wolf0 could chime in here, I think that would really help djm34's case for the advance.

edited once to add final products

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 11:32:09 AM

djm34 really wants an advance for his work, and this advance is not compatible with the forum funding system. I tried to convince him that a milestone payment for evidence of effort was equivalent to an advance (except that it was held in escrow by fluffypony), but apparently advances are "industry standard".

I'll admit to be not that familiar with the funding system, but I don't get how an advance would be not compatible. Can't the first milestone just be something like "statement of readiness to start work"?

Of course it is up to funders whether that is acceptable, which is a different matter.
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2015, 11:55:01 AM

I'll admit to be not that familiar with the funding system, but I don't get how an advance would be not compatible. Can't the first milestone just be something like "statement of readiness to start work"?

Of course it is up to funders whether that is acceptable, which is a different matter.

true, that would work.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2015, 02:21:09 PM
Last edit: August 22, 2015, 12:14:48 PM by GingerAle

Okay, with the help of chocolatebar, palaxender, and myagui, these milestones are the current working set:

Primary Milestones:
1) Overall software architecture (1000-1500 XMR):

A) Open source software that is nice, clean, well written and documented code that will be easy to maintain and work on; a pleasure for others to jump in and contribute going forward.

B) Cross-platform compatible. e.g. works on apple, linux, microsoft. Binaries available for all platforms when code is released.

C) Parameters can be completely tuned. The software should be designed so that miners can change every value with a config file to tweak settings for their particular hardware. This will possible extend the useful life of the software.

D) Limited dependencies for compiling, and required dependencies must be available via package managers. 100 xmr will be deducted for each dependency required, max 500.

E) Works on as much available hardware as possible. All Maxwell architecture is a must.

F) Works as a solo miner - is able to communicate directly with the monero wallet software.

2) Mining performance (up to 3500 XMR)

A) Hash rates reach the price point equivalent of Claymore's AMD GPU miner. Currently the highest reported hashrates are 745 h/s for the Sapphire R9 290X, which at the time of writing is a $350 GPU. The NVIDIA pricepoint equivalent is the GTX 970. Existing hashrate of a GTX 970 is ~400 h/s.

The exponential function would be payout = (hashrate increase)^(1/29.3) , which would produce an exponential curve to exactly 3587 XMR for 745 h/s. I don't think this curve is attractive, because a hashrate of +100 would only reward ~11 xmr. + 200 = 113, +300 = 1208,

Okay, I came up with a nice looking curve.

payout = ( 1.2 ^ ((hashrate increase) / 17.7) ) * 100

but hashrate increase >= 50.

so the minimum is 169 XMR

100 h/s, ~280 XMR

200, 784 XMR

250, 1313 XMR

etc. If you can come up with a better curve, please do! My excel skills got boring.

Secondary Milestones

(these will only be funded if the primary milestone funding levels are met)
3) GUI - 200 XMR

A GUI for all available platforms.
4) Longterm support - 1000 XMR (or however much is leftover after primary milestones)

20 XMR for a pull request that results in > 10 % increase in singular hardware (one card)
100 XMR for a pull request that results in > 10% increase in at least 5 cards
100 XMR for adding compatibility with new hardware (e.g., the code didn't work on newly release hardware at all, the pull request makes it work)

This still isn't set in stone. Please provide input.

The rationale for all this is over here:
https://forum.getmonero.org/7/open-tasks/323/open-source-gpu-mining-software-hashrate-increase-fund-bounty-hire-a-dev-whatever

Also, claymore never responded to my question re: how much it would cost to make his miner open source.

edit #1: include solo mining function in first milestone, reworded sentence using tunable so it doesn't get flagged by spellchecker, because apparently tunable isn't a word.

Dufkin

Activity: 3

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 08:11:28 AM

is there actually a reason why the thread disapppeared from the official forum at getmonero.org?
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 11:28:57 PM

fluffypony recently was doing some server maintenance

VeritasSapere

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 12:47:26 AM

Could someone please release a compiled version of this miner for Linux. Or point me towards instructions for Linux noobs that explains how to compile this.
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 01:27:13 AM

Could someone please release a compiled version of this miner for Linux. Or point me towards instructions for Linux noobs that explains how to compile this.

I assume you're talking about tsivs miner. I've found you have to end up having all of the below nonsense for it to work - probably some library dependency. So I could post my binary, but i've copied binaries from one linux box to another and it didn't work (forget why), so I just ended up following these from start to finish.

step 0: set up your miner box to run headless via SSH. This is the best way. You might be able to pull off using your video card and mining at the same time, but I wouldn't recommend it.

First, install an nvidia driver. I've found 331 works the best for a 750 ti.

http://www.noobslab.com/2014/12/use-nvidia-graphics-drivers-in.html

Then, go through this nightmare to install the CUDA nonsense UP TO THE INSTALL CUDA MINER PART.

https://d3adbra1n.wordpress.com/2014/05/03/cuda-miner-installation-on-a-fresh-ubuntu-14-04-lts/

Tip: when the long ass agreement thing pops up, you can hit ctrl-c to skip straight to typing accept. I didn't know this for a long time and would just put a weight on my down arrow to scroll through the thing. Or whatever the scroll was.

When you get to step 31, do this instead:

git clone git://github.com/tsiv/ccminer-cryptonight

that'll plop it in /ccminer-cryptonight/

then pick it up from step 35.

A reboot is required to get your video driver working (from my experience)

Dufkin

Activity: 3

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 01:13:30 PM

fluffypony recently was doing some server maintenance

ah ok. Thank you. I was just following the thread in order to get news regarding the new miner Smiley)
VeritasSapere

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 02:43:08 PM

Thank you for the instructions it is much appreciated. Smiley
QuantumQrack

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 04:54:38 PM

This is from the Monero speculation thread, I didn't want to clutter it up any further, and moved it over here.

Quote from: QuantumQrack on Today at 08:51:47 AM
"Speaking of that, what happened to the mining software initiative?  And what happened to the post?"

GingerAle wrote:
"The initiative is still on, as far as I know. djm34 has been working on it, but he's a little discouraged by the ambiguous nature of the first milestone. I've found where he hangs out on freenode, so I'll try to see what the deal is.

Re the post : unfortunately it got lost / misplaced / sacrificed to the gods of the internet. Fluffypony is aware of the anomaly, but its unfortunately low on his priority list right now. In the meantime, I cloned the most final version of the pitch in the bitcointalk mirror of the open source mining software thread... which is... here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=656841.msg12094899#msg12094899

if anyone can help make milestone #1 any better, that would help. I tried and tried to get djm34 to step up to the plate to detail his own milestones, prices, etc. But he wanted no part in that. So, I had a field day with it. FYI - milestone #1 is meant to replace an outright advance. djm34 wanted an advance for the work, but no one in the community wanted to pony up the 1000 - 1500 xmr. So, milestone #1 is kind of a secured funding regardless of hashrate increase. So djm34 would get something, and the monero infrastructure would get something (a cleaner, rebuilt open source nvidia mining package)

And I speculate bananas."

So, I wanted to reply to this.  To actually get funded and get the project into the funding stage and working stage, the programmer needs to put forth some information on what he will be doing, etc.  I don't think this is unreasonable.  So, my thoughts are that he/she should put forth the effort to edit the current goals/milestones that makes sense to him since he will be doing the work.  Its easy, the basics could probably be edited/written out in an hour or so.  If he is looking for 1500-2000 XMR up front before anything has been done....?  My inclination on that would be no.

GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2015, 07:30:46 PM

and we're back

https://forum.getmonero.org/7/open-tasks/2355/improved-nvidia-mining-software

GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2015, 12:19:04 PM

It's official - the NVIDIA miner software funding thread is up and running

https://forum.getmonero.org/8/funding-required/2355/improved-nvidia-mining-software

if you want to contribute, just head to that page and click on the "contribute" button, you'll get the address and payment id.

alternatively, here is the address:

Code:
45ttEikQEZWN1m7VxaVN9rjQkpSdmpGZ82GwUps66neQ1PqbQMno4wMY8F5jiDt2GoHzCtMwa7PDPJUJYb1GYrMP4CwAwNp

and the payment ID

Code:
017ae987199a49a101758e9e4c69421ea66ad828511e1f76b14c17428f206878

and for your convenience, here's a transfer command with mixin 3 sending 200 xmr for your simplewallet

Code:
transfer 3 45ttEikQEZWN1m7VxaVN9rjQkpSdmpGZ82GwUps66neQ1PqbQMno4wMY8F5jiDt2GoHzCtMwa7PDPJUJYb1GYrMP4CwAwNp 200 017ae987199a49a101758e9e4c69421ea66ad828511e1f76b14c17428f206878

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: