Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:47:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you Accept Komodo ICO conversion vs Reject Komodo ICO conversion and fund new dev team?
Accept - 145 (68.7%)
Reject - 66 (31.3%)
Total Voters: 211

Pages: « 1 ... 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 [349] 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 ... 547 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BTCD is no more  (Read 1328438 times)
crackfoo
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 1126

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2014, 12:24:09 AM

FYI: I would be happy to set up an account at digital ocean and manage the account, as long as the price in BTC value can be sent to me in advance. As far as scripting, managing etc, I can help with that, but I would hope others could help with scripting, etc.

@Pilotbtc, get in touch.  So far I've been in contact with some others.  It's coming down to which person can negotiate with the provider to find the best deal. Will digital ocean be able to meet the requirements and provide a discount bulk order rate?  

Anyway, this is something we definitely need so I'm certainly interested in your help.

BTW, i think sending of funds in btc is not a problem and can be worked out. Also TorrnA and I are working out an ongoing payment to the administrator of the privacy servers to be paid in both btcd and NXTprivacy.

Thanks,

Azeh
it would be better to have as many different vendors as possible
we need as big a variety as possible, to get both geographic coverage and host OS diversity

James

James, I'm looking into some pricing now. Question though. It is feasible to run one instance of NXT and then two BitcoinDark (one on ipv6 and one ipv4). If so could get twice the bang for the buck at one of the places I'm looking at it provides 1 IPV4 and 1 IPV6 IP per vps....

ZPOOL - the miners multipool! Support We pay 10 FLUX Parallel Assets (PA) directly to block rewards! Get paid more and faster. No PA fee's or waiting around for them, paid instantly on every block found!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jl777
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1132

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2014, 12:30:28 AM

FYI: I would be happy to set up an account at digital ocean and manage the account, as long as the price in BTC value can be sent to me in advance. As far as scripting, managing etc, I can help with that, but I would hope others could help with scripting, etc.

@Pilotbtc, get in touch.  So far I've been in contact with some others.  It's coming down to which person can negotiate with the provider to find the best deal. Will digital ocean be able to meet the requirements and provide a discount bulk order rate?  

Anyway, this is something we definitely need so I'm certainly interested in your help.

BTW, i think sending of funds in btc is not a problem and can be worked out. Also TorrnA and I are working out an ongoing payment to the administrator of the privacy servers to be paid in both btcd and NXTprivacy.

Thanks,

Azeh
we need as big a variety as possible, to get both geographic coverage and host OS diversity

James

James, I'm looking into some pricing now. Question though. It is feasible to run one instance of NXT and then two BitcoinDark (one on ipv6 and one ipv4). If so could get twice the bang for the buck at one of the places I'm looking at it provides 1 IPV4 and 1 IPV6 IP per vps....
not sure if multiple BTCD can be run on a single machine, but if there are two virtual machines each with separate ports, it is possible

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
crackfoo
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 1126

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2014, 01:16:42 AM

Thanks,

Azeh

James

not sure if multiple BTCD can be run on a single machine, but if there are two virtual machines each with separate ports, it is possible

Technically you can run many. Simply make use of the rpcport= and port= config options and they'll each run on their own instance, port, wallet etc... But will SuperNet know how to connect on custom ports and will it work....

ZPOOL - the miners multipool! Support We pay 10 FLUX Parallel Assets (PA) directly to block rewards! Get paid more and faster. No PA fee's or waiting around for them, paid instantly on every block found!
jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2014, 01:19:22 AM

Thanks,

Azeh

James

Technically you can run many. Simply make use of the rpcport= and port= config options and they'll each run on their own instance, port, wallet etc... But will SuperNet know how to connect on custom ports and will it work....
one way to find out Smiley
as far as SuperNET is concerned, a BTCD node has ip:port, but it is based on ipv4 so not sure how the ipv6 will map to ipv4 addr...

PilotofBTC
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 01:41:33 AM

Thanks,

Azeh

James

Digital ocean as several data centers so we could spread them out.

Amsterdam, San Francisco, New York, London and Singapore
visual111

Activity: 493
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 02:39:45 AM

http://bitcoindark.pw/ just got a makeover

site looks great, nice work

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

INTRODUCING WAVES
ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM

jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2014, 03:42:44 AM
Last edit: October 12, 2014, 06:41:57 AM by jl777

I pushed a new version with findaddress API

./b SuperNET '{"requestType":"findaddress","refaddr":"8894667849638377372","dist":24,"numthreads":20,"duration":6000,"list":["13434315136155299987","8894667849638377372","10694781281555936856","18429876966171494368","16163006958863727986","1838354277347686608","17572279667799017517","14815310753561302584"]}'

The refaddr is your privacyServer's NXT address, dist is the distance in bits (after xor), numthreads is the number of parallel tasks doing the search, duration is in seconds and list is the reference list of public server addressees

This will run in the background until the time runs out and it will print out a password and stats for your super private account. I havent done the storing in encrypted file or anything else yet. while it is running, if it finds a better acct, it will print:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> new best (super secret password) ...

so you can always search for this and get decent accounts to use while the findaddress keeps working in the background. It is kind of like mining! But what it is doing is actually very useful. It is finding the perfect address for you to use by making it look like an address that could be linked to any of the other public servers.

Due to the way the accounts are created, bruteforce random guessing is the best way to find such an address. This is a good thing as it means that the encryption is quite good. After all if the distance between the mined acct and the reference account went to zero, we have effectively hacked it!

The search is creating an N dimensional space where each dimension is the distance from one of the server accts in the list. The metric function is a bit more complicated, but conceptually we want a point in N-space that is equidistant from as many public nodes as possible. With the current number of nodes being so small, it is hard to come up with any address that meets this criteria, but at a distance of 24, given enough time, it should be possible to find an address that is +/- 3 distance from most of the list.

I am hoping that with more nodes, it will be possible to find addresses that are around 20 bits distant and still have the above characteristic.

Now why on earth do we care about such things?

The reason is that this solves the "last mile" problem of how to establish totally private comms without resorting to broadcasting to everybody. My coding the DHT is what allowed me to solve this, so those that think these seemingly unrelated things are slowing down the progress, it is quite the opposite. It is helping achieve the ultimate goal!

To understand how this allow comms without divulging the IP address, requires a bit of background on DHT, especially the Kademlia XOR distance method. Using XOR as a distance function sounds so simple, but it has some very powerful mathematical properties. Namely, you can know if another node is closer or farther away from the desired location, totally in the abstract. Imagine that you start searching for something. It gets a delivery address (in the abstract not IP). Now you find all the nodes you know about that are closest to this address and ask them to deliver it. You only know they are closer to the destination that you are.

That's it!

Of course a lot more details, but this is emergent behavior, eg. out of very simple behavior at the local level, some powerful global functionality emerges. Imagine you got the packet from someone that was farther away than you are. Now you do the same thing and the packet keeps getting closer and closer to the destination. Finally it gets to the nodes that are as close as possible that are in the network.

All the SuperNET nodes are part of this "bucket brigade", each passing the packet one step closer to the destination. This means that your node is also going to be involved in this and everybody knows your public server's acct and IP address. If not because you publish it, but if they wanted to the attacker can do sybil attacks and get this info. It is simply unavoidable to get an account linked to the IP address if you are transacting with it.

However, we have the private address that only people you transact with know. Your privacyServer's acct is known along with its IP address, but as long as you are careful with who finds out your privateaddress, then it is just an address that happens to be equidistant from N other privacy servers. Which one? Could be any of them as the way the DHT works is that it replicates the info to all the nodes closest to the destination, which in this case is your address. Taking advantage of this property of the DHT and the fact that your privacyServer will be handling the routing allows packets that are encrypted to your private address to be received by your computer and you can decrypt it as it is sent on to the closer nodes.

As the network grows, it will become harder and harder even to identify the set of possible nodes your private address belongs to. So even if your private address is compromised, there isnt a way to link it to any IP address!

James

lootz
Legendary

Activity: 806
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 05:17:09 AM

Beautiful site buddy
junsha

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 06:09:26 AM

Hi, I still have sync problem.
I downloaded the config file on page 1, and followed the instructions.
but still have 0 connections.

Is it a known problem, and will there be a new wallet release?

Edit: after quite a long time, it start syncing Smiley  -> OK

It was syncing, but never finish. stuck on 100001 block.
Anybody has same problem? I followed all the steps on page one.
Shall I edit the config file ? 

today still stuck at 100001/100676,
Am I the only one that have wallet  sync problem?
would appreciate if I could get some help. thanks!

need some help, wallet sync problem.   thanks!
threecats

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 07:53:47 AM

edit the config file in notepad, and be very careful to save it as "all files" not "txt file"  in dialgue box.  safest is to create a completely new notepad file that has never been saved as txt, paste in config, and save as all files / .conf
daref

Activity: 11

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 10:03:26 AM

You are professional ripper, your topic in public Rippers
junsha

Activity: 34

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 01:03:31 PM

edit the config file in notepad, and be very careful to save it as "all files" not "txt file"  in dialgue box.  safest is to create a completely new notepad file that has never been saved as txt, paste in config, and save as all files / .conf

Thanks!
I did save it as "BitcoinDark.conf“, with contest:
------------------------------------
addnode=107.170.59.196
addnode=146.185.188.6
addnode=74.91.20.250:39997
addnode=54.85.50.15:50288
addnode=186.94.211.104:49543
addnode=107.170.148.50:14631
addnode=65.129.66.246:57762
addnode=31.220.4.41
addnode=98.226.66.65
addnode=193.219.117.63
addnode=62.210.141.204
addnode=128.199.172.165
addnode=192.99.143.114
addnode=178.20.169.208
addnode=195.34.100.2:42038
addnode=5.101.107.239:60056
------------------------------------

It did sync, but stuck at block 100001.
diablo9090

Activity: 3

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 01:53:24 PM

0.00800000 for btcd in bittrex. expect 0.01 in nex 3 days
PondSea
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 08:04:34 PM

Klapper that is exactly what I was thinking. I was gathering quotes to build a system such as yours but with more monitoring built in so we can tell if a node needs an upgrade or if it goes down.

If you are building it already there is no point duplicating the process.

░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀█████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████
░░░░▄███████▄░░░░████████
░░░░███████████░░░░██████
░░░▀███████████░░░░████░░
███▄░░░░░░░░░░▀████░░░███░░██
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████░░░██░░██
█████████████▄░░████░░░░░
░░█████████████░░█████
░░░░█████████▀░░░██████▌
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀░░░░▄████████▌
░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄███████
SuperNET.org
..BarterDEX..
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DECENTRALIZED CRYPTOCURRENCY EXCHANGE
Developed to Unite Coin Communities | ✔ SECURE ✔ FREE ✔ VISIBILITY ✔ EASY INTEGRATION |

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Frohike_

Activity: 1

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 08:47:04 PM

Hi,

I am currently working on the following plan.

There is a need for at least to kind of nodes. There are SuperNET privacy nodes and (Hallmarked) nxt nodes, mostly run by persons on a VPS.

For these nodes, it’s currently the case that you have to buy the VPS, install the necessary packages and build the coin wallets and libraries/API’s. Building a privacy node is still quite cumbersome and daunting for most users. When you look at what you need to do, I would say it will slow down adoption if people have to go through all this.
This does apply more for a SuperNET privacy node then a simple NRS node for NXT. But still, for both nodes I think it would help to ease things way more, so people can buy a VPS and start right away, and get up and running in no time.

What to think of all people who have their nodes running and need to keep it secure too. Some firewalling, ddos prevention, encryption, hardening of ssh, hardening of various Operating System tools and monitoring tools and all that.

The situation is now:

User buys a VPS. The user tries to find a manual and starts configuring. In the case of SuperNET nodes, they will likely get stuck along the way, and have to try to get through it.
Personalise the installation: Create accounts and passwords.
When it’s build, they can run the node, but as things do change, they have to update quite regularly. In the case of a NRS wallet, it’s less frequent, but still they need to update it.
When running the node, it should be kept up to date. When exploits and vulnerabilities arise, the user should act on that.
This node is still not secured, unnecessary services are running, no firewall is set up, no hardening on services and operating system is done AT ALL. It’s only a base setup of Linux and there is nothing done to harden it. Everything should still be done, following 10 page tutorials of how to make sure the machine is secured.
And then, still, there is nothing in place to keep it secured, and no monitoring is set up.

What if, the situation would become streamlined like this, how cool would that be:

User buys a VPS. User signs up for the Master node and gets an acknowledgementTurns on the VPS, start a script.
Drink coffee while the machine is completely installed. Personalise the installation. Create accounts and passwords.

That’s it!

Simple as that.

From now on, the user has it’s machine updated (if they wish) and don’t need to look at all the things that change, new releases and updating of the machine.
Also, a complete firewalled and secured node is  there, and lots of things are hardened on the machine, secured and unnecessary stuff is removed and all configuration to make and keep the machine secure is done for you.

I worked out this concept and it can be implemented for these Privacy nodes and NRS (hallmarked) nodes. It will be a breeze for a user to get this VPS up and running.

How will all this work?

There will be a master configuration server. There can be one, but there can be more of them for redundancy. 1,3, or 5 or whatever seems appropriate.
This master server will be setup completely to build and deliver the configuration for the nodes. It will contain configuration for NRS nodes and Privacy nodes, but I can also deliver this service for other type of coins which need nodes with wallets (and possibly other stuff).

This server has to be build, everything that will be done on a node, will be setup here in scripts, separated in various modules. These modules will contain the software which is needed and all configuration changes in such a way to get these nodes in a certain state. I can easily differentiate different kind of nodes and these nodes can get the software and configuration they need. I can reuse the needed modules and differentiate between node configurations where needed. When adding a new kind of node for a new wallet or a new type of server, I can add this to the configuration. Also, when some company/idea connected to NXT (or another crypto currency) they can talk to me to see if they can have their node configuration automated too. It can then be added to my master server and nodes can be created for it in no time.

When I’ve finished a complete node configuration I can easily deliver 100 nodes in one day, if necessary. It depends on how fast you can buy VPSes and turn them on Smiley
When someone requests a certain node, I only need to add it to my master server and when the node identifies itself with the master server, once acknowledged it gets it complete configuration pushed and the server will get its state as it should be. And the node will be kept current and secured, for the future.

Also, it’s possible to set up  different Linux distributions with this concept. It means extra work in the beginning but once done, other distributions can be set up too.

Security configuration and updating is a continuous job and can be done centrally.

All wallets will be packaged in the needed package formats. A repository will be created via Ubuntu PPA, so ANY node, also nodes that are not setup via this master-client concept can then install these packages simply via apt-get. So people who are not interested in this whole concept, can simply get these wallet packages with apt-get and can also update the wallets packages simply via apt-get, when a new release has come out.
Packaging the wallets will be quite some work, but once done, I can try to keep them up to date.

All this is part of a bigger plan I’’m working on. I will write about that soon.
I actually wanted to publish this part equally with the whole plan, but I started building this master - clientnode concept already, because SuperNET is in need of 50 to 100 servers to get launched.

This pilot phase will help NXT and SuperNET hopefully because setting up Privacy and NRS nodes will be as easy as pushing a button.

Frohike
Timevortex

Activity: 41

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 09:12:54 PM

This is great news!!
Trinibits

Activity: 635
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 11:23:25 PM

Very interesting Smiley
goto2013

Activity: 258
Merit: 112

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 11:43:41 PM

addet bitcoindark to our altcoin info - news - etc site...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=684090.7200

greetz

Lenina.shop - Pay with btc and other crypto coins - German based online Stor
miningcoinz

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 12:26:42 AM

Is BTCD like litecoindark?
YesOrNo

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 12:43:07 AM

Is BTCD like litecoindark?
It's like comparing skateboard to spaceship  Grin
You must be retarded. Here is your answer.I can also write it in your topic if you want to
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=684090.msg9166053#msg9166053
Pages: « 1 ... 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 [349] 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 ... 547 »
  Print  

Jump to: