Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:35:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ETH] Ethereum = Scam  (Read 60138 times)
Ethey

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 03:36:05 AM

what you taking pro.. i mean seriesly .. how cares ethereum is an alt like everybody Wink and u just have to know how ti ride the train Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Blazin8888

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 03:58:35 AM

I don't know as much about Serpent, but it appears to have the same goals and purpose as Solidity, but is meant to be similar to Python (and therefore be great for Python devs.) This, along with the range of clients, also showcases the dedication that Ethereum has to being appealing to a wide range of developers, not just Javascript developers.

The range of clients at Ethereum in Go, C++, Python, JavaScript, Java and other languages is a support disaster. Right now it may work OK, but once Ethereum attracts a critical mass there will be 1 (or maybe 2) clients which will be used by 99% of the users. Otherwise, it's just not feasible.

You also say that Ethereum is trying to appeal a wide range of developers. Lisk tends to focus on the JavaScript group, it's just a fact that this is a huge crowd already. Lisk removes friction, it's very hard to get developers for a platform. If they now need to learn a new language (besides the whole blockchain concepts) attracting them will be even more difficult. Lisk is all about staying lean, efficient and focused.

Btw. JS is extremely powerful any goof on this forum with some legendary status who says other wise has other motives or is really ignorant: asmjs.org, pyjs.org etc.

Above only covers Smart Contracts for Etheruem; what about the more fully-encompassing "Dapp"?

Here is the difference between Lisk and Ethereum. Ethereum is doing smart contracts which are all saved on one blockchain. If you want to develop a dapp in Ethereum you need to connect the functionalities of several smart contracts.

In Lisk you get a complete package. You don't develop single smart contracts. You build an entire application which is running on its own blockchain. It's like you develop a new crypto-currency platform with an extended feature-set, the platform itself is already finished and provided by our Lisk SDK. As a developer you just need to implement the necessary new features on top of the already existing platform.

So, for Lisk to be implying that Javascript developers cannot create Dapp for Ethereum is a bit misleading. They can absolutely use primarily Javascript for the Dapp and then Solidity (which is so close to Javascript) for smart contracts.

We never said that JavaScript developers cannot create dapps for Ethereum. Of course they can, but they need to learn a new language first. This is like you would say a plumber cannot paint walls.

At Ethereum they can use JavaScript for the dapp front end, and Solidity for the dapp back end. It's not like they are using JavaScript "for the [complete] dapp" as you said. No, only for the front end.

The difference is that Lisk is entirely Javascript (and node.js) through and through, Ethereum has a large number clients in different languages[2], has two custom-written languages for smart contracts, and still allows for Javascript where you need it most (the UI).

Yes, we tend to focus on one technology. Focus is key.

Your statement that Ethereum "allows for JavaScript where you need it most (the UI)", is really only the case for Ethereum. JavaScript is globally accepted for many different tasks on the front and back end (e.g. NodeJS). Not just for "the UI". You are making JavaScript smaller as it is, only to get more arguments for Solidity.

Javascript numbers are....not the greatest or most reliable. Especially when we are dealing with a crypto-currency, you really want your numbers to be on point. Basically JS uses floating point which means some things get approximated and digits get lost in certain cases.

We are only using integers at Lisk. For big numbers we are using bignumber.js. It's not about the language you choose, it's about your coding skills. If you know what you are doing JavaScript is entirely fine. However, yes this is a weakness. But a weakness which is manageable.

Javascript uses weak dynamic typing. If you are not careful, you can pass strings instead of numbers.

Honestly, if you are building a serious project you should at least get this thing right. Otherwise, every JavaScript project would fail according to your argument.

Lisk has "rules" that they ask contract developers have to follow to avoid breaking consensus.

Yep. It seems Ethereum has these "rules" directly embedded into their compiler, at Lisk developers just have to follow them. The biggest difference here is, if they do a mistake and the consensus is broken, then the dapp needs a hard fork. But Lisk itself is entirely fine, because the dapp is only running in a sidechain.

This is a huge security advantage. If a dapp fails, the Lisk network doesn't even hiccup. However, if one smart contract fails at Ethereum, it can mean game over for Ethereum.

Disadvantages of Solidity

Other disadvantages may be that it's a very young language and therefore unproven. Also there is very little documentation available, and even less developers know this language.

On the blockchain

You are mixing up different things now. You download the Bitcoin client also from an HTTP link. However it "cannot be corrupted, can be audited, cannot be changed, can reach consensus". That means all these important properties you mention are also valid for Lisk. If you change a dapp code, your node will end up on a fork. Same as if you change the Bitcoin code.

The HTTP link is only the way to distribute a dapp source code. Later on we will integrate decentralized storage methods (e.g. IPFS), so the distribution itself can be decentralized as well.

However, the distribution model doesn't define if an application is centralized or decentralized. Or do you say that every crypto-currency on the market is centralized? Because you download the clients from a centralized location? If yes, then how can Ethereum dapps even be decentralized, if the network itself is centralized? Wink

Your line of arguments is wrong here. Another important fact is, that this method allows Lisk to scale massively easier than Ethereum. Besides the huge advantages our sidechains already bring to the table.

I don't know much about Crypti, but they did have a presale and they did get a decent amount of money (at least $200k USD) but I can't find the exact figures because everything has been wiped. Nothing came of Crypti. Literally. So...that's scary. The lack of transparency, also scary.

We are not associated with Crypti anymore. However, saying that everything is wiped and that there is no transparency is a huge lie. There are over 600 pages on Bitcointalk (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=654463) and dozens of blog posts (https://blog.crypti.me) which contain ALL information.

Additionally, if you say that "nothing came of Crypti" then you are completely wrong. Crypti developed a working dapp platform, the huge success of Lisk is proving this. The only thing which just didn't work at Crypti was marketing. That means nobody knows about Crypti. There was also a big lack of leadership at Crypti.

So I guess the main difference I want to point out between Ethereum and Lisk here is that Lisk is two guys who rebranded a previous coin that had a presale and delivered nothing while Ethereum has Vitalik Buterin, a large team of well-known, community-engaged, crazy talented developers, and a large community of developers creating Dapp and third-party wallets and hardware wallets and all sorts of amazing stuff. I mean, look at Augur, Slock.it, and ConsenSys alone. It's crazy!

Yes, I'm glad that those two guys at Google never started their company because there were so many great search engines back then with hundreds of employees. Smiley

Don't understand me wrong, I like Ethereum and the whole team/movement behind it. I'm a big supporter. But you are just refusing innovation at this point of time. You are comparing a 2 years old platform (Ethereum) with 18M in fundings, with a not even launched platform (Lisk) with no access to the funding as of yet. That's kind of silly.

Another key difference is Ethereum has the Ethereum Foundation, a non-profit Swiss organization and Lisk has....an unknown foundation / company associated with it.

Everyone at Lisk knows that we are in the process of creating a legal entity in Germany, most probably as a gGmbH. This is also a non-profit organisation structure.

One final note: Lisk really likes to claim they have partnerships with big names. First it was ShapeShift. Now it is Microsoft. They loooove to use that partnership word. In reality, they were just using the Shifty button, not really a partnership.

We had a technologic partnership with ShapeShift. It was a big mis-understanding at that time. They already fixed that mistake.

All in all, I would like to say that your points are quite weak. You didn't point out the biggest weaknesses of Lisk. In my opinion this is sidechain security. That means small dapps probably won't have a chance long-term to attract enough nodes to secure them.

For this I suspect that there will be special dapps, who will run smaller dapps in a SaaS way. Until we implemented a sidechain forging marketplace, finding sidechain forgers is also quite a difficult task. However, these are all just starting problems. Everything is solvable. At the end of the day Lisk is just software which is actively developed.

It's important to mention that Lisk just gets started and we are already making big changes. At this point of time it's just to early to evaluate Lisk and the team (us) behind it. You should just wait for a year before making a final conclusion. All arguments right now just look like you are afraid. Personally, I think there is far more than enough room for Ethereum and Lisk. In the end we are solving the "problems" very differently and are attracting different niches.

I hope that Ethereum and Lisk can work together in the future in order to solve important problems within the dapp and blockchain industry. I say it again, we are in this "game" together.

CryR

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

kcin obazs

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 10:40:52 AM

6/6/2016
Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 15, 2017, 10:13:08 AM

If Vitalik Buterin is involved, it's not a scam, as simple as that. Enough for me to think Ethereum is real Bitcoin 2.0. Are you aware what kind of expert he is? In par with Satoshi probably, if not better.

exactly! that dude lived in an abandoned building with the unsystem guys writing code for months. I cna't believe some of the people here, just talking out of their ass!

LOL do you know this for a fact or just fcking hearsay. Why dont you dig a little deeper?

Guess what dumb ass, ppl know Vitalik in CS at UoW and they dont have any impression of him being "genius". Typical scripting hacker as they describe him.

hahahahah mmkay guy

[imgx]https://i.imgur.com/FsVWlMp.png[/img]

[imgx]https://i.imgur.com/YgpOnBC.png[/img]

If anything/anyone is going to change the world for the better, it's going to be one of these guys! Not the "foundation"
I simply don't believe these guys are there to scam people out of their money! Charlie Shrem, or the Vinklederp twins however, i don't trust for a millisecond

Oh hey look a picture of minecache and mining1.

FUD first & ask questions later™
bobmarley650
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 15, 2017, 10:23:17 AM

Sold alL my ETH.

An old-fashioned crypto.

bobbtc@protonmail.com / Working day and night
Gataway

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 07:30:25 AM

Sold alL my ETH.

An old-fashioned crypto.

It could be good for smart contracts.
thepo1m

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 07:47:49 AM

Interesting some people still believe that Ethereum is a scam, mistake is allow and important thing os to learn from them. Ethereum has more than five projects built on it on the top 20 most capitalised project
Opekin

Activity: 396
Merit: 252

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 04:07:43 PM

Interesting some people still believe that Ethereum is a scam, mistake is allow and important thing os to learn from them. Ethereum has more than five projects built on it on the top 20 most capitalised project

I think the price of Ethereum will recover soon.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
YoBit AirDrop $|
Get 700 YoDollars for Free!
🏆
Gataway

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 07:30:31 AM

I think the price of Ethereum will recover soon.

The price has already been $17.
Lynnefe

Activity: 3

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 07:49:24 AM

The price has been manipulated.
lsqgoddess

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 08:38:13 AM

Yes, everything can be traded is manipulated, gold, stocks, bitcoin, diamond, altcoins, so your point is right. Personally I think Ethereum is a bit overvalued now. Miners got so much wealth from ETH.
Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 10:11:07 AM
Last edit: June 03, 2017, 11:53:24 PM by mprep

Yes, everything can be traded is manipulated, gold, stocks, bitcoin, diamond, altcoins, so your point is right. Personally I think Ethereum is a bit overvalued now. Miners got so much wealth from ETH.

FAIL.

Know who got so much from ETH ? The crooked scammers mentioned on the first page.

It gets tiring watching your sleazy brats defend shitcoins so you can make 50 cents while the scam leader makes millions.

You are greedy corrupt scum.

The topic you all hate the most and wish would go away  Cheesy
I am bumping this because the never ending stream of noobs here never seen it and don't know.
And then claim there is no "proof" ..bull ..mother ..fucking ..shit  Roll Eyes

It's not hard guys.. click on page 1 and read Wink

FUD first & ask questions later™
AiWanChu

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 03, 2017, 01:17:48 PM

I think ETH is a solid project, i just dont like what they did after the dao hack to bail out their funds and also dumped on the ETC buyers
umbara ardian

Activity: 1344
Merit: 259

Tontogether | Save Smart & Win Big

View Profile
June 03, 2017, 02:00:14 PM

Let's think eth is not possible scam, every beginning of year eth always show increase. I am optimistic in the coming year eth higher, i do hold to eth.

SUGAR
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
dwgscale11

Activity: 335
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 02:41:47 PM

I think ETH is a solid project, i just dont like what they did after the dao hack to bail out their funds and also dumped on the ETC buyers

That is right. Some people say that ETH is a scam, so I sold most of the mined coins. If I keep them, I will be rich.

Ethereum is a 72 million premined ICO coin.  Does everyone get that? That's almost 80% of the supply was premined.  That is almost $19 billion worth of ether that was premined.  Hello? People? Do you even know what you are buying and where your money is going?  It was never supposed to be a store of value.  It has a limitless supply.  Wake up!
Sevvero

Activity: 350
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 09:02:33 AM

Cool FUD thread, nicely done, Spoetnik.

Spoetnik is obviously a Bitcoin maximalist who is shitting his pants that he missed the ETH train.

Kekkers:

Ethereum is a 72 million premined ICO coin.  Does everyone get that? That's almost 80% of the supply was premined.  That is almost $19 billion worth of ether that was premined.  Hello? People? Do you even know what you are buying and where your money is going?  It was never supposed to be a store of value.  It has a limitless supply.  Wake up!

What is crowdsale.
Gataway

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 04:48:27 PM

That is right. Some people say that ETH is a scam, so I sold most of the mined coins. If I keep them, I will be rich.

The ETH has changed hands many times. So most of the coins are owned by new investors.
Minecache
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1024

Vave.com - Crypto Casino

View Profile
June 18, 2017, 10:36:37 PM

Sold alL my ETH.

An old-fashioned crypto.
How did that work out for you?

Wiggity

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 25, 2017, 07:34:30 AM

Sold alL my ETH.

An old-fashioned crypto.

LOL right before the pump...
Bameras

Activity: 39

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 03:01:57 PM

Sold alL my ETH.

An old-fashioned crypto.

He sold out too early.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  

Jump to: