Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:16:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ETH] Ethereum = Scam  (Read 60138 times)
oldmarsh

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 01:24:12 AM

Anyone has met Antony (the founder of Ether) knows hes shaddy as fck. The guy doesnt really understand bitcoin and generally talks baseless crap just like Roger Ver.

Someone should do a background check on Antony and you will be shocked.

Everything's shady.  You forgot about the Goldman Sach's connection.  There's only so many people in this world that have worked for them (out of 7 billion people) and yet Ethereum has them.

Then there's Vitalik - always doing these hour long interviews and flying around the world to promote Ethereum.  When does he have time to do any development?  Why is he passed off as some sort of prodigy developer?  How is that kid more well known than Charlie Lee or actual Bitcoin developers like Gavin Andresen?  I swear that Vitalik is a mascot, some Goldmansachs executive at some table probably said: "We need someone 'hip and kewl', like Justin Bieber, to promote our scam coin to the skateboarding millenials".. "umm how about Vitalik sir, all he does is edit some magazine read by a few dozen people and he's also from Toronto just like Bieber", "Good job Samuels, keep up the good work and you'll get that raise".

"We need someone 'hip and kewl', like Justin Bieber, to promote our scam coin to the skateboarding millenials"

You gotta be kidding, right?

I find Vitalik geeky, genius & antisocial. Have you ever watched the videos where's he featured?

I've watched the videos and have found him creepy as fuck. His voice, his looks... I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this, but most people are too polite and too PC to actually say it.
solid12345
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 01:27:49 AM

Funny to see Spoetnik still talking about the AUR "scam" even though the dev followed through with his plan to airdrop when everyone said he'd disappear and dump the premine. I seem to also recall he fudded Maza to the grave too yet Payu the "scam" dev is still out there working to salvage a 25 satoshi coin, what a crook  Cheesy
GangkisKhan

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 02:28:27 AM

Most alt coins are pump and dump. But no one point a gun to force anyone to buy.
Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 02:45:45 AM

Ethereum might be the Next Big Thing in altcoins. Over 10,000,000 ETH sold during the first day, which equals to 5000 BTC.
People are crazy about this IPO, they're selling their jewellery and even cars to buy ETH!

i will assume that is true and there is no catch or shenanigans about it and respond..

just because something is popular does not means it's good.. that is weak sauce you brewin chief !

FUD first & ask questions later™
Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 02:49:42 AM

I think it's pretty suspicious that they already claim to have sold >10 million ether, which is thousands of BTC worth. That number could easily be manipulated to drive hype.

agreed and almost certainly was i think..
i know this came out long before today but the Propaganda / Hype team was launched today with that key bit of info as their center piece.
and we would have to assume that those numbers came from before and who the hell seen any activity on it before today ?
it just seems fishy.. especially combined with the media blitz launched today and the extra special GIGANTIC Front page headline Coindesk gave them.
i wonder what that cost them ?

Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 02:52:26 AM

I was one of the first few people who saw the Ether sale thread and it was already at $1 million..  no articles on Google news search (not even Coindesk's article was out yet) and almost no mention of Ether anywhere and yet it already had $1 million!

Maidsafe had $8 million IPO in a few hours and it was found that most of it was laundered Mtgox coins.

Ether could be laundered Bitcoin or it's them buying their own volume to make it look like there's actual demand.  Combination of the two is probably the case here.  Ether is seen as a scam on this forum - nobody is selling their car or their house to buy that crap, especially when it supposedly won't release until 2015.

It makes no sense from a venture perspective to buy a coin that does $10 million in IPO as there's almost no gains compared to the amount of risk you're taking.   Ether might not launch.  Or it might nose dive in value.  Or it'll stagnate like Maidsafe.  The people who invested into Mastercoin and Maidsafe know that - they would had made tons more money investing into Doge, NxT and Dark.

Anyone who invests into Ether would likely make more money investing into NEM, Node, Ora - we'll see in a year and I reckon I'm right given the past track record.  These copywrighting (journalist coins) almost never live up to the hype.  You could almost say they're intended to be scams to sucker in IPO money but this is hard to prove.

well said !

BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 03:59:44 AM

lol at people buying open source software that can and will be replicated and used for free if successfull. lol.

You mean like buying Bitcoins?

Just like with Bitcoins, the only thing that matters is merchant / industry adoption.  You can copy the shit out of it all you want.  Wont matter if nobody uses it.  And humans always follow like sheep.  Businesses especially, as confidence and peace of mind always go along with well-known specific paths.  If Ethereum gets the business world on board, it wont matter that it's open source.  Nobody will use the copied versions.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
venlo

Activity: 187
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 10:28:12 AM

Just like with Bitcoins, the only thing that matters is merchant / industry adoption.

it's not a currency. You can maybe abuse it as such since people will speculate on it and you can exchange it easy once it is working (if ever), but it's not a currency. The shop around the corner will never accept it for payment. BTC will be there long before.
venlo

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 10:35:25 AM

i see a lot of people buying this who have a) no idea what they are buying b) don't ask questions c) buy something they have no idea how to use

this is too funny. Ether has potential to be a huge blow at my current estimate. I'll be sitting with my popcorn on the sidelines Wink
djarot

Activity: 350
Merit: 254

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 10:55:25 AM

Personally I was amazed by reported volume sold, news sites running stories on 3500btc in 12 hours or so...?! I can't help but think really, as other people says here, how many people buying really understand ethereum at all...i think even if they went on youtube to learn from vitalik, they still would understand nothing! too complicated surely for many. very weird state of events now, and perhaps a lot of very poor people later!
venlo

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 11:18:30 AM

this is going to be an epic speculative bubble which will pop very loud. Brace yourself for huge drama and shitstorms. I am not going to buy it because i have no idea who to sell to later. Everybody who could be potentially interested in it has it already. Pretty sure plain old bitcoin is going to return me more over next 6 months. How is maidsafe doing these days?
venlo

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 11:25:40 AM

btw where can i get that shortselling option there were talks about?
juicyjuice87

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 11:31:44 AM

this is going to be an epic speculative bubble which will pop very loud. Brace yourself for huge drama and shitstorms. I am not going to buy it because i have no idea who to sell to later. Everybody who could be potentially interested in it has it already. Pretty sure plain old bitcoin is going to return me more over next 6 months. How is maidsafe doing these days?

This is for sure
hamiltino

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 11:34:48 AM

stacking coin
venlo

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 12:50:37 PM

lol, that guy ^^^^

https://twitter.com/BTCarchitect/status/491787345000398849
KeyserSozeMC

Activity: 742

I'm dying.

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2014, 01:18:23 PM

Anyone has met Antony (the founder of Ether) knows hes shaddy as fck. The guy doesnt really understand bitcoin and generally talks baseless crap just like Roger Ver.

Someone should do a background check on Antony and you will be shocked.

Everything's shady.  You forgot about the Goldman Sach's connection.  There's only so many people in this world that have worked for them (out of 7 billion people) and yet Ethereum has them.

Then there's Vitalik - always doing these hour long interviews and flying around the world to promote Ethereum.  When does he have time to do any development?  Why is he passed off as some sort of prodigy developer?  How is that kid more well known than Charlie Lee or actual Bitcoin developers like Gavin Andresen?  I swear that Vitalik is a mascot, some Goldmansachs executive at some table probably said: "We need someone 'hip and kewl', like Justin Bieber, to promote our scam coin to the skateboarding millenials".. "umm how about Vitalik sir, all he does is edit some magazine read by a few dozen people and he's also from Toronto just like Bieber", "Good job Samuels, keep up the good work and you'll get that raise".

"We need someone 'hip and kewl', like Justin Bieber, to promote our scam coin to the skateboarding millenials"

You gotta be kidding, right?

I find Vitalik geeky, genius & antisocial. Have you ever watched the videos where's he featured?

I've watched the videos and have found him creepy as fuck. His voice, his looks... I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this, but most people are too polite and too PC to actually say it.
Tesla was worse. Look around you. You live in Tesla's world.

Hey, smexy. Don't waste your time. Time's precious.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 01:33:38 PM

good coin for bag holders indeed
peligro

Activity: 593

1NoBanksLuJPXf8Sc831fPqjrRpkQPKkEA

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 01:48:25 PM

Too many opposite views. No idea if Ether is good or bad.
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2014, 02:37:49 PM

i personally love that its called "Ether."  - that HAS to be an inside gag.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
asdlolciterquit

Activity: 1666
Merit: 565

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:27:17 PM

i think is possible for every new coin that make notices, find a thread where to read that that coin is a scam:)
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  

Jump to: