Bitcoin Forum
July 01, 2024, 06:15:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 [369] 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 ... 1310 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [XMG] MAGI | CPU mining | mPoW | mPoS | [MagiPay]  (Read 2375362 times)
ontopicplease

Activity: 778
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 12:28:46 PM

One more question, I have. As far as I can see this coin is pretty cheap according it's quality. Imagine the cmc will be tenfold in a year from now, does that affect the number of coins being mined at that moment?

Superb question Smiley

The value of the coin at any given time has no direct effect on the number of coins being mined. It may have an indirect effect if a high value coin attracts a lot of big miners. The number of coins mined per day depends entirely on the total mining hashrate being thrown at it, by careful design. See this brilliant illustration:-

http://starflakenights.net/crypto/blockreward/xmg.html

Have a play around with it and you should soon see that currently, the ideal total mining hashrate to throw at the coin is around 22~23 to 32~33 Mh/s. This figure will increase slowly over time to accommodate growth. Around this figure you can expect the (proof-of-work) block rewards to peak at 50 XMG per block (roughly every three minutes or so).

The total mining pool hashrate is currently between 45 to 50 Mh/s most of the time, so the mining effort is clearly oversubscribed and average block rewards will be depressed as a result - almost to zero in some cases.

The joy of it is that the calculated total mining hashrate, usually referred to as the nethashrate, is nowhere near as stable as the actual total mining hashrate. The XMG block reward algorithm does not measure the total mining hashrate directly, but estimates it from the time taken to mine previous blocks. This makes the calculated nethashrate highly variable and even though the mining effort is oversubscribed, there are still occasional periods when the nethashrate "hits the sweet spot" around 22~23 to 32~33 Mh/s and we get higher value XMG block rewards as a result.

The downside of course is that we also get periods when the calculated nethashrate is very much higher. Right this minute it is 95 Mh/s. Guess what the current block reward is Wink
Ok I will tell you - it is 0.8 XMG - peanuts - dust when you get your share of it on the mining pool.

We cannot force miners to switch off, but we can take advantage of the good times by targeting the mining effort to those times - when the nethashrate "hits the sweet spot".

Did someone mention Sweet Spot?

http://xmg.makejar.com/

Pure genius IMHO. Work smart - not hard. I have been banging on about this from the beginning Cheesy

After studying http://starflakenights.net/crypto/blockreward/xmg.html, I think I understand it, but I have some some questions/remarks left.

As far as I understand, MAGI implemented a blockreward that depends a lot on optimum hashrate used. Interesting to see is that, when optimum hashrate is used the blockreward is 50 XMG, when for instance the hashrate is double from optimum, the miners are punished very hard, there blockreward will only be around 2 XMG.
In case with all other coins blockrewards are fixed. When miners use double from optimum hashrate, they will only see their ROI ( rendement on investment) halved. Where in case of MAGI, the blockreward is divided by 10 or maybe 50. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Without having any technical skills, I try to overlook the whole system.

I try to think about the consequences of this system. Putting myself in a the spot of a miner first. A miner of course likes to mine the coin that brings him the best result. To estimate his ROI on MAGI, he cannot just calculate, because blockrewards differ a lot. He probably has to mine some period of time and then make his calculations. And then even this result gives him absolutely no indication regarding results in the future.

Looking through the eyes of someone who is interested in a 51% attack on MAGI. As far as I Always understood, a 51% is possible when someone someone has more than 50% of the hashes used on a network. Please, correct me if this is wrong. On first site a 51% attack on MAGI looks very simple, because of the variable blockrewards. When someone wants a 51% attack, he just puts in a lot of hashes. After some time the regular miners see that the hashrate is very high and the blockrewards are only peanuts. So a lot of miners will go away from the network and mine some other coin. Resulting in a situation where the guy who wants to do the 51% attack, has an even bigger percentage of the network.

But on the other side, I read MAGI is only cpu. Very to hard to believe, that when all coins, starting as cpu, never could stay only cpu, that MAGI will be able to stay purely cpu-mining. If this is the case, I can imagine a 51% attack will be extremely hard ( or better almost impossible) to do.

like, I said before, I am really impressed by this coin and most important I have no technical knowledge at all. So everything I said above are just things coming up in my mind and they could easily be total nonsense. The thing, I am interested in, is trying to understand how things work and what consequences they will have.

Hopefully someone has the time to educate me a bit on this. Thanks for your time.
111magic
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 02:35:17 PM

Ontopicplease
Check out the information about the first PoM.
Proof of mining. Will give you also more information about Magi.

bitcoin: bc1qyadvvyv29z08ln2ta7g3uqwzkscr7wq4p09wuz
111magic
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 02:42:55 PM

Hello All,

1. Got new version of Sweet Spot
http://xmg.makejar.com/download/sweet-spot-0.9.9.zip (includes 2 of the best Magi Miners - could be detected as "Having BitCoin Miners" by your antivirus software)
http://xmg.makejar.com/download/sweet-spot-0.9.9-bare.zip (no miners included, you can put your own miners in separate folders where the sweetspot.exe is)
http://xmg.makejar.com/download/sweet-spot-0.9.9-source.zip (source)

I really like the sweetspot tool but I was wondering if NeedIfFindIt (or Spexx or someone else) can add a feature to start mining a different coin than XMG when rewards are too low.
Now the miner slows down to 10% but I don't want my CPU to go idle, I would rather have it do some different work on another coin.
Anyone feel like adding this feature? Smiley
Hmm don't know what to say about this.
Ask our teammembers in the Magi thread to build things for other coins. Best thing to say that i'am proud of the Magi community and our teammembers.
 Smiley
Its great to see that their work is also appreciated by other coins!  Hope they pay the rewards in XMG! Wink

111magic
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 02:58:05 PM

http://coinmagi.blogspot.com/

thanks  Smiley

[img ]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GEd0APSfkRA/VR_D9M7AyHI/AAAAAAAAA0o/ZQDjMMDsc5Y/s1600/coinmagi-blogspot-com.PNG[/img]

[img ]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mnKpwuAi3d8/VR_D92fjOGI/AAAAAAAAA0w/A1m5Wv6nTko/s1600/coinmagi-blogspot-com-about.PNG[/img]

I LOVE MAGI COIN...  Grin

Thanks guys. I love magi too. You know what, when I look through stuffs, posts, sites, and work on the stuffs even simply writing replies to posts, I forgot everything else; time goes by faster than usual. It's sad that coming back to life surrounds by many many real stuffs to cope with.
LOL understand what you mean Joe.
I wish sometimes there are more than 24 hours in a day!  Smiley

B.T.Coin

Activity: 332
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 03:13:42 PM

Hello All,

http://xmg.makejar.com/download/sweet-spot-0.9.9.zip (includes 2 of the best Magi Miners - could be detected as "Having BitCoin Miners" by your antivirus software)
http://xmg.makejar.com/download/sweet-spot-0.9.9-bare.zip (no miners included, you can put your own miners in separate folders where the sweetspot.exe is)

I really like the sweetspot tool but I was wondering if NeedIfFindIt (or Spexx or someone else) can add a feature to start mining a different coin than XMG when rewards are too low.
Now the miner slows down to 10% but I don't want my CPU to go idle, I would rather have it do some different work on another coin.
Ask our teammembers in the Magi thread to build things for other coins. Best thing to say that i'am proud of the Magi community and our teammembers.
 Smiley
Its great to see that their work is also appreciated by other coins!  Hope they pay the rewards in XMG! Wink

They don't really have to build stuff for other coins but just include the option of running a command line string to start another miner when XMG profitability is too low to mine XMG. (and of course stop it when the XMG miner will be started again).
My CPU is running 24/7 anyway and I don't want any time to be wasted on idle time.

A fine is a tax you pay for something you did wrong.
A tax is a fine you pay for something you did right.
111magic
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 03:22:12 PM

Good to hear that! Thanks for your respons!

Spexx

Activity: 350

Mining Co-operative

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 05:16:02 PM

Hello All,

Smiley

They don't really have to build stuff for other coins but just include the option of running a command line string to start another miner when XMG profitability is too low to mine XMG. (and of course stop it when the XMG miner will be started again).
My CPU is running 24/7 anyway and I don't want any time to be wasted on idle time.

I could knock-up a noddy program for Windows to simply flag up when XMG block rewards are below a certain threshold (and/or equal to and above a certain threshold) and execute a command line (or a batch file or whatever) under either circumstance. I would only have to cut and paste from what I already have and alter a couple of lines to make that happen. Not rocket science. Perhaps if you wait for my next software release and pick through the batch code (which is fully documented inline so you can see how it works) you may be able to produce something for yourself. You will get a dilemma at the point where the block value data is unavailable (for whatever reason e.g. the data server goes down) and you have to decide what to do about that. I am not getting into the issue of "profitability" as a deciding factor - I cannot calculate that.

B.T.Coin

Activity: 332

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 05:28:11 PM

I could knock-up a noddy program for Windows to simply flag up when XMG block rewards are below a certain threshold (and/or equal to and above a certain threshold) and execute a command line (or a batch file or whatever) under either circumstance. I would only have to cut and paste from what I already have and alter a couple of lines to make that happen. Not rocket science. Perhaps if you wait for my next software release and pick through the batch code (which is fully documented inline so you can see how it works) you may be able to produce something for yourself. You will get a dilemma at the point where the block value data is unavailable (for whatever reason e.g. the data server goes down) and you have to decide what to do about that. I am not getting into the issue of "profitability" as a deciding factor - I cannot calculate that.

I would have guessed that it would not be too difficult to run a batch file or command line when block rewards are below a certain level.
The biggest chalange will be to kill the process of the alternate miner when XMG rises above a pre-set block award I would guess. Do you have any ideas about that?

A fine is a tax you pay for something you did wrong.
A tax is a fine you pay for something you did right.
Erkallys
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 05:28:41 PM

The Magi community is growing exponentially. After some times, after some PoM campaign, the big miners will exit the Magi mining. But more and more small miners will join Magi. So the hashrate will rise. And the block reward will be always low. Is it an fictive scare or a real one ? The magical Magi team does has a wonderful solution for that ?
Spexx

Mining Co-operative

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 05:37:37 PM

I would have guessed that it would not be too difficult to run a batch file or command line when block rewards are below a certain level.
The biggest chalange will be to kill the process of the alternate miner when XMG rises above a pre-set block award I would guess. Do you have any ideas about that?

Taskkill.exe [name of process to stop]

111magic
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 05:53:15 PM

REMINDER: Register for the Magi Proof on Interest will en today at 20:00 hours CET!
http://bitcoingarden.tk/forum/index.php?topic=3265.0

Spexx

Mining Co-operative

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 05:58:16 PM

The Magi community is growing exponentially. After some times, after some PoM campaign, the big miners will exit the Magi mining. But more and more small miners will join Magi. So the hashrate will rise. And the block reward will be always low. Is it an fictive scare or a real one ? The magical Magi team does has a wonderful solution for that ?

The best solution is for big miners to show some restraint. They could halve their hashpower and get far more than twice the amount of XMG. However, I have been banging on about this for ages and there is no sign that this message is reaching any intelligence out there. Too many are stuck with "Bitcoin thinking" - hash harder - get more beer - doh. This old dogma of greed (which is difficult to un-learn I admit) will see the death of Bitcoin (and many others) in due course IMHO. The energy wasted with Bitcoin mining reached stupid proportions ages ago and will only get worse - it is a dead-end.

111magic
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 06:28:03 PM

Right words Spexx!

-----------------------------------------------------

Magi Proof of Interest 2015 is now closed for registration!
The people who have signed up, welcome to the first Magi Proof of Interest.

NeedIfFindIt

Activity: 500
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 06:50:13 PM

Hello All,

Smiley

No plans from me to extend the SweetSpot in this direction.

But if you are using the PC only for mining then.

1. Start SweetSpot.
2. Start the magi miner.
3. Go to your windows task manager.
4. Change the priority of minerd.exe from LOW to NORMAL.
5. Make sure the other miner is not called minerd.exe (rename if needed) otherwise sweetspot will try to control it too.
6. Start the other miner.
7. Go to your windows task manager.
8. Make the other miner priority LOW.

Hope you got the idea  Wink
Spexx

Mining Co-operative

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 07:13:30 PM

After studying http://starflakenights.net/crypto/blockreward/xmg.html, I think I understand it, but I have some some questions/remarks left.

As far as I understand, MAGI implemented a blockreward that depends a lot on optimum hashrate used. Interesting to see is that, when optimum hashrate is used the blockreward is 50 XMG, when for instance the hashrate is double from optimum, the miners are punished very hard, there blockreward will only be around 2 XMG.
In case with all other coins blockrewards are fixed. When miners use double from optimum hashrate, they will only see their ROI ( rendement on investment) halved. Where in case of MAGI, the blockreward is divided by 10 or maybe 50. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Almost right there. The block reward can go all the way down to zero (or "transaction fees only")

I try to think about the consequences of this system. Putting myself in a the spot of a miner first. A miner of course likes to mine the coin that brings him the best result. To estimate his ROI on MAGI, he cannot just calculate, because blockrewards differ a lot. He probably has to mine some period of time and then make his calculations. And then even this result gives him absolutely no indication regarding results in the future.

Absolutely, yes that is correct. I have my own thoughts about ROI and profitability etc of mining in general, which I do not share in public. It is linked inextricably with the spot price available on the coin exchange(s)

Mining is just one way of acquiring coins. Buying is another (and the easiest way). Trading coins for profit works as well. Participating in XMG Magi promotions is yet another way of acquiring coins. Staking coins in the wallet generates a modest return too. Then there are XMG faucets to grab the occasional drip from as well. Some are tempted to obtain coins by dishonest means ... innit.

Let me ask a question. When you go to work and earn some money, is that profit? I don't think so. Is it more profitable to go find a job with more pay? No it isn't, but it would be a better return on your investment. Now how about you decide to get a job with more pay and hand in your notice to quit with your current employer, only to find that they were planning on promoting you with better pay than the job you are now going to? Gutted? I hope you are happy in your new job lol Cheesy

I think that the true state of affairs is that many miners will stick with a coin in the hope of a massive increase in spot price in the future. If you have ever dabbled with "penny shares" then you will know exactly what I mean. If you were lucky enough to acquire some Bitcoins when they were worth a fraction of a dollar, then I am already preaching to the converted here.

Looking through the eyes of someone who is interested in a 51% attack on MAGI. As far as I Always understood, a 51% is possible when someone someone has more than 50% of the hashes used on a network. Please, correct me if this is wrong. On first site a 51% attack on MAGI looks very simple, because of the variable blockrewards. When someone wants a 51% attack, he just puts in a lot of hashes. After some time the regular miners see that the hashrate is very high and the blockrewards are only peanuts. So a lot of miners will go away from the network and mine some other coin. Resulting in a situation where the guy who wants to do the 51% attack, has an even bigger percentage of the network.

Yes, that could happen. People are at liberty to do as they want. I would like the big miners to go away. I don't always get what I want. I keep plugging away nevertheless.

But on the other side, I read MAGI is only cpu. Very to hard to believe, that when all coins, starting as cpu, never could stay only cpu, that MAGI will be able to stay purely cpu-mining. If this is the case, I can imagine a 51% attack will be extremely hard ( or better almost impossible) to do.

People are at liberty to write their own code to run an XMG (M7M algorithm) miner on a GPU, or indeed any other computing device. The mining code is open source, so grab yourself a GPU compiler, get coding and knock yourself out. When everybody is at it then expect XMG block rewards to remain steadfastly close to zero, like now. It rapidly becomes a pointless exercise. Personally, I think it would be more entertaining to employ an army consisting of an infinite number of monkeys with an abacus each to see if they could solve the next block purely by chance (either that or to come up with the entire works of Shakespeare).

Happy hashing Smiley

Spexx

Mining Co-operative

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 08:47:46 PM

Spexx, I can almost see that infinite number of monkeys with an abacus and coming up with the entire works of Shakespeare :-)
Correct me if I am wrong, but keeping your wallet open and staking also helps against people with bad-51-intentions?
Currently 68% of coin extraction is of Proof of Stake ( see https://chainz.cryptoid.info/xmg/#!extraction ), so many of us are staking.
The largest wallets have only near 6% of coins total.
The staking is a very good defense isn't it?

Thinking about it, those monkeys would all need a typewriter as well Cheesy

I honestly do not know if the staking mechanism protects against 51% attacks, either by design or by happy accident. I have never given it much thought. Someone more knowledgeable can educate me there, but I am inclined to think that it is irrelevant.

We used to have a situation where there were only two mining pools available for mining XMG. During that time, either one of them was in a position to launch a 51% attack at one point or another. It did not happen afaik. Even when a 51% attack is launched, there is no certainty that it will be successful. At current XMG spot prices, there is no incentive anyway so I don't lose any sleep over it.

Nice article here:-

http://libertystreeteconomics.newyorkfed.org/2014/11/bitcoin-how-likely-is-a-51-percent-attack.html

dewdeded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 09:02:56 PM

You renamed PoI to PoM?
go6ooo1212
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

quarkchain.io

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 09:07:13 PM

No , mate PoM is Proof of Mining. That new brilliant campaign named Proof of Interest mean that you apply for it with your claimed amount coins , put into your wallet. You keep this amount at wallet during the period of campaign and receive an interest of your amount at the end of the period...
111magic
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 09:36:02 PM

Magi World Online Campaign!

Magi (XMG) the unique coin of the future
launches the Magi World Online Campaign
This multiple promotion campaign rewards current community members by receiving some extra XMG and offers new members the opportunity to become acquainted with the Coin of the Magi and receive their first XMG for free.
The tour consists of multiple assignments for which you can receive some XMG.

Check here: http://bitcoingarden.tk/forum/index.php?topic=3315.msg89738#msg89738

Redrover

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 10:30:38 PM

Trying to figure out how to change my avatar, it's not showing up as an option, any help?
Pages: « 1 ... 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 [369] 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 ... 1310 »
  Print  

Jump to: