Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:29:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Ubuntu Natty Narwhal 11.04 Mining Guide / HOWTO  (Read 281372 times)
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 03:51:45 AM

System stabilized, using vectors, 395MH / 89.00 ºC on both cores, now I want to do overclock but:

I run:

Code:
sudo aticonfig --initial -f --adapter=all

but:

Code:
root@garimpeiro-2:~# aticonfig --od-enable
ATI Overdrive(TM) enabled

root@garimpeiro-2:~# aticonfig --od-setclocks=900,1000 --adapter=all
ERROR - Set clocks failed for Adapter 0 - AMD Radeon HD 6990
        Please check that input values were valid
ERROR - Set clocks failed for Adapter 1 - AMD Radeon HD 6990

What can I do?!

Is there some setup that I can manually include within xorg.conf?

Thanks!
Thiago

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Christian Pezza

Activity: 154
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 05:24:11 AM

System stabilized, using vectors, 395MH / 89.00 ºC on both cores, now I want to do overclock but:

I run:

Code:

but:

Code:

What can I do?!

Thanks!
Thiago
run  aticonfig --odgc --adapter=all
you know what is the range of values u can input and from there there is the art of OC where I don't have any luck because keep freezen on me! Sad but with some cards and some right set works awesome

good luck Wink

If you like this tread consider to donate some to https://bitcointalk.org/donate.html
dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 07:10:44 AM

I run:

Code:

but:

Code:

What can I do?!

Thanks!
Thiago
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=22855.0
Install 11.6 catalyst & it will allow over clock(core) & under clock(mem)
CYPER

Activity: 798
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 04:40:03 PM
Last edit: July 16, 2011, 04:50:39 PM by CYPER

Do you think Ubuntu 11.04 can destroy a flash drive because of too many reads/writes?

I was using 8GB Kingston DTIG3/8GB USB DataTraveller for like 2 weeks and then I needed to re-install Ubuntu, which led to more than 5 failed attempts with a different problem each time:
If it managed to install successfully I got Grub problems after a restart.
or overlapping patitions
or I had 2 Installer crashes almost at the end of the installation
and my last attempt to install was successful, but then the usual Grub problem and File system checking and fixing after restart

I'm just installing it again, but this time on an USB drive with a mini HDD inside, but I somehow feel that this one will fail too - how can I find what is the problem?
Yep, it failed again with Installer crashed.

Now I'll leave just one video card connected to the system, will reinsert the RAM module, will load Safe Defaults in the BIOS and try again. I can't think of anything else.

Please help.
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2011, 09:24:42 PM

I suppose it's possible, but I've been running for at least a month with a Patriot RAGE XT 8 GB USB stick in a couple systems with no problems.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
CYPER

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 09:53:00 PM

I suppose it's possible, but I've been running for at least a month with a Patriot RAGE XT 8 GB USB stick in a couple systems with no problems.

Do you have a Swap partition? And is it Ubuntu you are using?
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2011, 10:02:53 PM

Yes to your first question and are you serious to your second question?

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Flappy

Activity: 99

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 10:21:19 PM
Last edit: July 16, 2011, 10:33:13 PM by Flappy

after the initial reboot, I login from SSH and get this:

Code:
user@beast:~$ cd poclbm/
user@beast:~/poclbm$ ./poclbm.py
No protocol specified
No device specified or device not found, use -d to specify one of the following

[0]     AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor

But if I login to unity desktop, then my cards get initialized.

Now I run the same command from SSH again...
Code:
user@beast:~/poclbm$ ./poclbm.py
No device specified or device not found, use -d to specify one of the following

[0]     AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor
[1]     Cypress
[2]     Cypress
[3]     Cypress
[4]     Cypress
[5]     Cypress
[6]     Cypress

Any way to get this to work without having to login to unity desktop?

EDIT:  noticed this.
Code:
user@beast:~$ aticonfig --odgc --adapter=all
No protocol specified
aticonfig: This program must be run as root when no X server is active

running sudo ./poclbm.py yields the expected output.  Is this the desired mode of operation?  Or is there a better way?
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2011, 10:47:48 PM

Flappy: For your first question - you have to have X running to initialize the drivers unfortunately.  Unity specifically doesn't have to be running, but some form of X does, even if it's a basic X session.

For your second question, I've not yet been able to figure out exactly why some installs require root and some don't.  For all my installs, I do not need to be su root to get the odgc data... other people have different experiences, but I know that following my guide to the letter, I don't have to do it on any of my hardware, which varies quite a bit in types of cards, motherboards and CPUs (both intel and AMD).

CYPER

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 12:08:04 AM

are you serious to your second question?

Haha, forgive me, I'm trying to get a solution from a couple of places and did not think about what this topic was Smiley
Flappy

Activity: 99

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 04:49:47 AM

you have to have X running to initialize the drivers

can I do that over SSH session?
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2011, 05:22:17 AM

Do what?  Run X?  Yeah.  You can run it locally or forward your X session... I'm not sure what would happen if you were running a purely forwarded X Session, though I don't see any reason it wouldn't work unless it doesn't activate the fglrx module. Hmm...

MiningBuddy

Activity: 927

฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 06:13:58 AM

Do what?  Run X?  Yeah.  You can run it locally or forward your X session... I'm not sure what would happen if you were running a purely forwarded X Session, though I don't see any reason it wouldn't work unless it doesn't activate the fglrx module. Hmm...

I've only been using the X11 forwarding option in putty for months and haven't had an issue yet.

CYPER

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 02:21:51 PM

So the reason behind all my troubles was the flash drive got corrupted and I can only speculate that Ubuntu did it.
So don't get surprised if your flash drive dies.

I think the author should put that as a warning in the original post.
Shevek

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 02:57:58 PM

I'm gpu-mining ok with these advices in Debian testing.

But I have a problem: when I switch to other tty (CTRL-ALT-Fn), mining stops. The process still stands but miner lost connection with gpu.

In this forum I read about starting the miner even with ssh-terminal! But I don't see how... every recipe fails (i.e putting "DISPLAY :0" at the beginning).

Any clues? TIA

Proposals for improving bitcoin are like asses: everybody has one
1SheveKuPHpzpLqSvPSavik9wnC51voBa
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2011, 03:25:23 PM

So the reason behind all my troubles was the flash drive got corrupted and I can only speculate that Ubuntu did it.
So don't get surprised if your flash drive dies.

I think the author should put that as a warning in the original post.

There's always a chance of anything corrupting your flash drive if you use shitty flash drives.  Same goes for hard drives.  Use quality materials and you're less likely to run into problems.

I've been running OS's from flash drives for a couple years now and I have yet to have a single corrupted flash drive.

But I have a problem: when I switch to other tty (CTRL-ALT-Fn), mining stops. The process still stands but miner lost connection with gpu.

In this forum I read about starting the miner even with ssh-terminal! But I don't see how... every recipe fails (i.e putting "DISPLAY :0" at the beginning).

Any clues? TIA

Read through this thread, all the clues are in here.  I mean, the clue(s) are even in the guide itself.  Come on, man.

village.idiot

Activity: 270

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 03:29:53 PM

I just ordered a Kingston 8GB flash drive so I could make a secure wallet.
Is Kingston quality enough?
CYPER

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 03:43:25 PM

There's always a chance of anything corrupting your flash drive if you use shitty flash drives.  Same goes for hard drives.  Use quality materials and you're less likely to run into problems.

I've been running OS's from flash drives for a couple years now and I have yet to have a single corrupted flash drive.

Does Kingston 8GB Datatraveler G3 sounds shitty to you?

Also do you use ext2 or ext4 with yours that are running fine for a couple of years?
Because ext2 doesn't use journalling, thus much better suited for flash drives. While ext4, which is the default Ubuntu 11.04 file system is much more damaging to the drive.
Shevek

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 05:10:42 PM

Any clues? TIA

Read through this thread, all the clues are in here.  I mean, the clue(s) are even in the guide itself.  Come on, man.

I've tried everything: there's no way to activate gpu's from terminals out of the current X-display. Order,

Code:
$ ./poclbm

gives only CPU as mining device when launched in, say, tty0. No matter if I launch a "screen" instance, or if I insist about "DISPLAY=:0" at the beginning.

I suspect, a fundamental difference between Debian and Ubuntu is the key. But I have no expertize on this.  Huh

Proposals for improving bitcoin are like asses: everybody has one
1SheveKuPHpzpLqSvPSavik9wnC51voBa
Jen4538

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 05:25:46 PM

Ok, you can download the file from my site: https://eclipsemc.com/files/python-jsonrpc.tar.gz

You can then untar it in your directory and continue on instead of the svn checkout.

can anyone explain the exact commands needed for this to install with directions given on first page , i would like to finish this guide

Jenette
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  

Jump to: