Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 12:09:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 [776] 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312590 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
Imste

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 12:42:19 AM

Monero is definetly the coin to be in for the next couple weeks, mark my words!
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 12:47:14 AM

Monero is definetly the coin to be in for the next couple weeks years, mark my words!

FTFY

And look at that depth chart on polo LOL

green wall going vertical
vuduchyld

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 12:55:24 AM

Monero is definetly the coin to be in for the next couple weeks years, mark my words!

FTFY

And look at that depth chart on polo LOL

green wall going vertical

It's bouncing around so much...I'm getting seasick.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 01:09:51 AM

About 2 years ago I didn't know much, but I was interested in Monero so I forced myself to learn how to use the command line wallet. It was fun to learn how things worked on a deeper level so I started learning how to code when I had the time.

Fast-forward to now and I will be starting a new job as a developer next Monday. I still have a lot to learn, but now someone will actually be paying me to write code for them. HAHA! Thanks Monero!

I post this to say that anyone can learn how to do this if you have the interest and make time for it.

smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 01:14:52 AM

About 2 years ago I didn't know much, but I was interested in Monero so I forced myself to learn how to use the command line wallet. It was fun to learn how things worked on a deeper level so I started learning how to code when I had the time.

Fast-forward to now and I will be starting a new job as a developer next Monday. I still have a lot to learn, but now someone will actually be paying me to write code for them. HAHA! Thanks Monero!

Fantastic story, and congrats on the new job!
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 01:35:51 AM

I post this to say that anyone can learn how to do this if you have the interest and make time for it.

Awesome.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 02:12:08 AM

Ridiculing scams like Dash is great fun and a public service, but I speculate we don't need to write obituaries for legitimate pure-proof-of-work blue-chip coins in order to promote our own.

I don't think he's promoting XMR by expressing skepticism about LTC. I felt the same way about LTC, for much the same reasons, before XMR existed, and he probably did too. Obviously I was wrong back then, in the sense that LTC is still here.

OK, so what have you learned from being spectacularly wrong about LTC for so many years?

I would actually generalize a bit. Essentially no coins that existed then and were in the top ten two years ago are completely dead (going farther back it gets a bit different, as at one point there were only 10 alts and not all of them are still viable). LTC has dropped a few slots. Others like Nxt, Namecoin, and Bitshares have dropped more. But these systems are nothing if not resilient, even in a fiercely competitive market.

I'd rather celebrate XMR's victories than cast aspersions on LTC's viability.  We don't need to tear BTC/LTC down to raise XMR up.  It's not zero sum.  The crypto pie is growing so fast that all legit/useful/innovative projects may have a nicely sized slice.

This is where it gets interesting. At some point that pie will stop growing so fast. And by pie I don't necessarily mean market cap (as that at least did a long-pause if not a stop in 2013) but applications, use cases, and district community approaches to it. And at that point we will reach a consolidation phase, and then I think there will be actual coin failures (failures not necessarily in a technical sense, but economically and socially people will just abandon coins that don't make the cut).

Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 02:31:50 AM

in Litecoin's case, on "me too" tech that offers nothing to the ecosystem

You mean like how a hospital's secondary (backup) and tertiary (failsafe) generators are "me too" tech that offer nothing to the doctors and patients inside?

LTC stays in the 9 figure range because it works, and a 'generation' of (Chinese) bitcoiners were introduced to both at the same time.  LTC is the one made by a super-smart Chinese-American guy from a very successful family, which doesn't hurt at all for PR purposes....

And you are literally wrong, because LTC's additional tps capacity is next in line to absorb marginal use cases priced out (or timed out) of BTC.

Ridiculing scams like Dash is great fun and a public service, but I speculate we don't need to write obituaries for legitimate pure-proof-of-work blue-chip coins in order to promote our own.

^ for context.

...blue-chip coins...

Litecoin as "blue-chip" coin. lol, #timestamp

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 03:00:41 AM

It has been a "top-few" coin for half of Bitcoin's lifetime. How can you be much more blue chip than that?

Theory is nice, but when the theory doesn't match reality, adjust the theory.

That's not to say it is forever necessarily. Blue chips aren't either.
25hashcoin

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 03:39:08 AM

Word is that the chinese don't consider litecoin to be an altcoin. They just see bitcoin and litecoin and then the rest. Litecoin is also the only other coin besides bitcoin on the major chinese exchanges. This is enough for me to keep some of my hodlings in ltc for the time being. Much more room for profit than btc, and it still hasn't shown that it will be decoupled from btcs next moves. Very long term, I am not sure as no one is, but worst case I figure I will be able to increase my btc and xmr hodlings.

Bitcoin - Peer to Peer Electronic CASH
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 03:45:21 AM

Very good. I'm happy for you.

Yes programming/coding can be an acquired taste as it was for me.

It is a very valuable skill in the time we live in.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 03:47:36 AM

Word is that the chinese don't consider litecoin to be an altcoin. They just see bitcoin and litecoin and then the rest. Litecoin is also the only other coin besides bitcoin on the major chinese exchanges. This is enough for me to keep some of my hodlings in ltc for the time being. Much more room for profit than btc, and it still hasn't shown that it will be decoupled from btcs next moves. Very long term, I am not sure as no one is, but worst case I figure I will be able to increase my btc and xmr hodlings.

I guess that could change as monero is now more than half the price of litecoin. So that perspective could change pretty quickly.

We'll see.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

vuduchyld

Activity: 364

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 04:04:46 AM

Very cool.  Thanks for sharing your experience.
25hashcoin

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 04:05:52 AM

I guess that could change as monero is now more than half the price of litecoin. So that perspective could change pretty quickly.

We'll see.

The next crypto bubble so to speak will be quite interesting. I've always felt like xmr more or less follows btc (nothing to prove or show for this) so xmr could easily bring in exponential more profits than ltc, just as ltc could bring exponential more profits than bitcoin. Loooong term I definitely think btc is #1, xmr is #2,  and ltc is #3 though. I've declared them the "big 3" for quite a while now and will be very exciting to see xmr overtake doge as the #3 coin in cryptoland (premined/ipo coins need not apply).

Melbustus
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 04:09:18 AM

Or make a wager with people who have different theories. I believe I offered such a bet to Smoothie a while back, when LTC was trading >0.01BTC if memory serves.

And FWIW - I consider the crypto-markets to be extremely immature, to the point where it's still very difficult to discern signal from noise looking over the entire history to date. Thus I'm certainly not abandoning theory at this point. Feel free to quote this in >5 years if Litecoin as a "blue chip" isn't obviously ridiculous by then.

On a related note, it's been a theory of mine (and many others') for years that Bitcoin would remain strong in the face of alt-coin competition due in part to the idea that Bitcoin could and would adopt good innovations from the alt-space. But this is a theory that I'm listening to the conflicting data on, and am not so sure about any more, as Core dev and their narrow-minded high-hashrate supporters show that perhaps Bitcoin really isn't as strong and anti-fragile as I'd believed.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 04:17:34 AM
Last edit: March 27, 2016, 03:03:05 AM by smooth

Or make a wager with people who have different theories. I believe I offered such a bet to Smoothie a while back, when LTC was trading >0.01BTC if memory serves.

And FWIW - I consider the crypto-markets to be extremely immature, to the point where it's still very difficult to discern signal from noise looking over the entire history to date. Thus I'm certainly not abandoning theory at this point. Feel free to quote this in >5 years if Litecoin as a "blue chip" isn't obviously ridiculous by then.

On a related note, it's been a theory of mine (and many others') for years that Bitcoin would remain strong in the face of alt-coin competition due in part to the idea that Bitcoin could and would adopt good innovations from the alt-space. But this is a theory that I'm listening to the conflicting data on, and am not so sure about any more, as Core dev and their narrow-minded high-hashrate supporters show that perhaps Bitcoin really isn't as strong and anti-fragile as I'd believed.

From my perspective, Bitcoin has remained strong, even considering recent events. There has just been room for other coins to thrive as well. Pretty much what iCEBREAKER said about the crypto pie growing rapidly, where one slice becoming bigger does not make another slice smaller.

If your theory was that Bitcoin was just going to streamroller over all other communities and simply assimilate all innovation and market development, well that theory does need some reexamination (and LTC is very much valid evidence for this not happening, among others of course), at least so far.
owm123

Activity: 392

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 04:27:06 AM

The next crypto bubble so to speak will be quite interesting. I've always felt like xmr more or less follows btc (nothing to prove or show for this) so xmr could easily bring in exponential more profits than ltc, just as ltc could bring exponential more profits than bitcoin. Loooong term I definitely think btc is #1, xmr is #2,  and ltc is #3 though. I've declared them the "big 3" for quite a while now and will be very exciting to see xmr overtake doge as the #3 coin in cryptoland (premined/ipo coins need not apply).

You assume eth will be gone out of picture, or just not count it here as it aims at differer use case then a normal currency?

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
25hashcoin

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 04:31:21 AM

You assume eth will be gone out of picture, or just not count it here as it aims at differer use case then a normal currency?

Both long term. Latter for short term.

see:
(premined/ipo coins need not apply)

Melbustus
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 04:41:52 AM

If your theory was that Bitcoin was just going to streamroller over all other communities and simply assimilate all innovation and market development, well that theory does need some reexamination (and LTC is very much valid evidence for this not happening, among others of course), at least so far.

No, I've also noted for a couple years that I think a number of coins will co-exist with non-trivial market-caps, though I think it'll be a power-law type effect where the top few have almost all the market-cap, and where the top-1 - in prior instances of the theory, always Bitcoin - has a very large majority.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2016, 04:59:05 AM

From my perspective, Bitcoin has remained strong, even considering recent events. There has just been room for other coins to thrive as well. Pretty much what iCEBREAKER said about the crypto pie growing rapidly, where once slice becoming bigger does not make another slice smaller.

If we advocate Bitcoin (read: crypto e-cash) becoming a critical system, how can we not also advocate multiple redundant backup systems?

This logic is almost universally applied to gold and silver in terms of fiat, AEON and BBR/XDN in terms of Monero, generators and batteries in terms of COLOs/hospitals, etc.

When appeals to argumentum ad Las Vegas wagering are made, we may take that as indication Melbustus' mind is made up and does not wish to be confused with facts, whether empirical or analytical.  When his theory doesn't match reality, he'd rather move the goalposts 5 years into the future than check his (obviously flawed) premises.   Roll Eyes

Le sigh.  I suppose we should welcome the LTC and BTC obituary writers into our ever-expanding Monero tent, as an auspicious sign of our community's growing diversity.  Who else is ready to lean into Monero's Eternal September?  I'll throw the first handful of dirt on our little Golden Age of Wild & Free Mustang Enlightenment...AP can carry the torch from here.  Cry

On a side note, I can't believe Smoothie is being so nice about the LTC smack talk!   Cheesy

I guess he's in a good mood, what with the XMR moon and all.  Or there's more drama/history to the wager than Mel alluded to....  Tongue  Huh Tongue

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Pages: « 1 ... 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 [776] 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: