Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:40:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 ... 282 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][GEMZ] GetGems - Social Messaging App That Pays - Live on Android, iOS, Web  (Read 597136 times)
Netnox
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 04:10:55 PM

Am I right in saying that now we are using Telegram we will have all the features that Telegram has like Document and photo sharing etc?

I was concerned the app was so bare bones.

I'm wondering the same do you think its possible to integrate whatsapp or is it closed source?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
peled1986 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 04:30:41 PM
Last edit: December 17, 2014, 05:11:45 PM by peled1986

Am I right in saying that now we are using Telegram we will have all the features that Telegram has like Document and photo sharing etc?

I'm wondering the same do you think its possible to integrate whatsapp or is it closed source?

WhatsApp is closed source. There's an unofficial open source client but that's not something strong enough we want to rely on: http://openwhatsapp.org/

we reviewed textsecure which is open source and was recently chosen by whatsapp for their encryption, but textsecure has less working functions (also no iOS released yet) and more importantly, Telegram allows Gems users to seamlessly interact with existing Telegram 50 million active users reaching critical mass of user from day one.

Telegram has more functions than WhatsApp right now and all of functions that have been open source will be working on Gems Messenger from day one.

its important to note that Telegram Android code is up to date but the iPhone code they put on their website is pretty old.

The best version we found is this:
http://telegram.org/resources/telegram_iphone.src.zip

Taken from here:
https://telegram.org/apps

We are reaching out to Telegram to update the code, current problems are:

1. The source only supports API layer 8 (out of 18).
Telegram's API layer 8 was released more than a year ago, the current API layer is 18 and includes lots of important protocol updates.

2. The source was not updated for iOS 7.
iOS had a major UI change on ver 7 more than a year ago, but Telegram's iOS code is still designed like iOS 6 (unlike the official app in the app store).

3. The source was not updated for 64 bit.
The code doesn't compile on the latest iOS SDK for 64 bit. Apple will not allow any app to be uploaded without 64 bit support from Feb 1, 2015.

Even if they don't publicly update their source code we found solutions but its much more work to integrate their code.

Please RT: https://twitter.com/getgemsorg/status/545263264347611136
Netnox
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 05:00:44 PM

WhatsApp is closed source. There's an unofficial open source client but that's not something strong enough we want to rely on: http://openwhatsapp.org/

we reviewed textsecure which is open source and was recently chosen by whatsapp for their encryption, but textsecure has less working functions (also no iOS released yet) and more importantly, Telegram allows Gems users to seamlessly interact with existing Telegram 50 million active users reaching critical mass of user from day one.

Telegram has more functions than WhatsApp right now and all of functions that have been open source will be working on Gems Messenger from day one.

its important to note that Telegram Android code is up to date but the iPhone code they put on their website is pretty old.

The best version we found is this:
http://telegram.org/resources/telegram_iphone.src.zip

Taken from here:
https://telegram.org/apps

We are reaching out to Telegram to update the code, current problems are:

1. The source only supports API layer 8 (out of 18).
Telegram's API layer 8 was released more than a year ago, the current API layer is 18 and includes lots of important protocol updates.

2. The source was not updated for iOS 7.
iOS had a major UI change on ver 7 more than a year ago, but Telegram's iOS code is still designed like iOS 6 (unlike the official app in the app store).

3. The source was not updated for 64 bit.
The code doesn't compile on the latest iOS SDK for 64 bit. Apple will not allow any app to be uploaded without 64 bit support from Feb 1, 2015.

Even if they don't publicly update their source code we found solutions but its much more work to integrate their code.

Sweet, any idea which functions these are? Would be nice to keep an eye if whatsapp puts out an official open source client.
peled1986 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 05:18:36 PM

Sweet, any idea which functions these are? Would be nice to keep an eye if whatsapp puts out an official open source client.

The most noticeable is Telegram has "secret chat" by using end to end encryption, it means that you and the person who receives the message must have the same encryption key. You are also able to self destruct a message after a specific time, which is even better.

The security is powered by 256bit asymmetric RS 2048 and AES encryption, which are two very strong standard encryptions.  Telegram also offers $300,000 dollars to anyone who can crack its security: https://telegram.org/blog/cryptocontest
Netnox
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 05:22:37 PM

The most noticeable is Telegram has "secret chat" by using end to end encryption, it means that you and the person who receives the message must have the same encryption key. You are also able to self destruct a message after a specific time, which is even better.

The security is powered by 256bit asymmetric RS 2048 and AES encryption, which are two very strong standard encryptions.  Telegram also offers $300,000 dollars to anyone who can crack its security: https://telegram.org/blog/cryptocontest

Impressive, any plans for a group chat option? On a side note on decentralised.tv interview you guys did there was the question on what will happen if someone loses his phone, will that person be able to restore a backup or something?
peled1986 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 05:26:01 PM
Last edit: December 17, 2014, 05:39:24 PM by peled1986

Impressive, any plans for a group chat option?

group chat is already supported for chats of up to 200 members: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.telegram.messenger&hl=en

Telegram Description

FAST: Telegram is the fastest messaging app on the market because it uses a distributed infrastructure with data centers positioned around the globe to connect users to the closest possible server.

SECURE: We made it our mission to provide the best security among mass messengers. Telegram heavily encrypts all your data with time-tested algorithms.

CLOUD STORAGE: Telegram seamlessly syncs across all your devices, so you can always securely access your data. Your message history is stored for free in the Telegram cloud. Never lose your data again!

GROUP CHAT & SHARING: With Telegram, you can form large group chats of up to 200 members, send broadcasts to up to 100 contacts at a time, quickly share large videos, documents (.doc, .ppt, .zip, etc.), and send an unlimited amount of photos to your friends.
RELIABLE: Built to deliver your messages in the minimum bytes possible, Telegram is the most reliable messaging system ever made. It works even on the weakest mobile connections.

100% FREE & NO ADS: Telegram is free and will always be free. We are not going to sell ads or introduce subscription fees.

PRIVACY: We take your privacy seriously and will never give third parties access to your data.

For those interested in maximum privacy, Telegram offers Secret Chats. Secret Chat messages can be programmed to self-destruct automatically from both participating devices. This way you can send all types of disappearing content — messages, photos, videos and even files. Secret Chats use end-to-end encryption to ensure that a message can only be read by its intended recipient.

Netnox
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 05:46:45 PM

Impressive, any plans for a group chat option?

group chat is already supported for chats of up to 200 members: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.telegram.messenger&hl=en

Telegram Description

FAST: Telegram is the fastest messaging app on the market because it uses a distributed infrastructure with data centers positioned around the globe to connect users to the closest possible server.

SECURE: We made it our mission to provide the best security among mass messengers. Telegram heavily encrypts all your data with time-tested algorithms.

CLOUD STORAGE: Telegram seamlessly syncs across all your devices, so you can always securely access your data. Your message history is stored for free in the Telegram cloud. Never lose your data again!

GROUP CHAT & SHARING: With Telegram, you can form large group chats of up to 200 members, send broadcasts to up to 100 contacts at a time, quickly share large videos, documents (.doc, .ppt, .zip, etc.), and send an unlimited amount of photos to your friends.
RELIABLE: Built to deliver your messages in the minimum bytes possible, Telegram is the most reliable messaging system ever made. It works even on the weakest mobile connections.

100% FREE & NO ADS: Telegram is free and will always be free. We are not going to sell ads or introduce subscription fees.

PRIVACY: We take your privacy seriously and will never give third parties access to your data.

For those interested in maximum privacy, Telegram offers Secret Chats. Secret Chat messages can be programmed to self-destruct automatically from both participating devices. This way you can send all types of disappearing content — messages, photos, videos and even files. Secret Chats use end-to-end encryption to ensure that a message can only be read by its intended recipient.

So these functions will also be available on Gems right, will Gems own security features be in place? Like the flavour 1 and 2 level encryption with the lock button that was mentioned.
chicken65

Activity: 770
Merit: 506

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 05:59:31 PM

I use Telegram a lot and I honestly cant see how this project is any better.
Its free has some of the same features and is heavy on your privacy.
Netnox
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 06:06:11 PM
Last edit: December 17, 2014, 06:21:12 PM by Netnox

Gems is free aswell and heavy on your privacy too, but it has innovations Telegram doesn't offer. Build on Bitcoin making it possible to add advanced features like a value-reward system and a whole economical model in a simple way, being able to have an in built Bitcoin and Gemz wallet, sending value like money through the app without long addresses, without fees and instant like sending a message, unsolicited messages, hashtag options for users, you can chose to allow ads or not and if you allow you get rewarded, rewarded for activity in the network, rewarded for introducing new users, being able to make contact with users you don't have in your contact list which will cost you Gemz, setting the minimum Gemz you want to receive, anti-spam etc. That's pretty revolutionary, that's why it's called next gen IM. Why would i use Telegram if i can have Gems with all the benefits of Telegram on top of it. After all we are Crypto technology enthusiasts.

The explanation on 'attention economy' build around the app is really fascinating and innovative which opens the gateway to do many things.

Podcast http://shoutengine.com/BitcoinNewsWeekly/dollars-to-bitcoins-banks-hate-bitcoin-the-gold-5231
chicken65

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 06:24:47 PM

Thats not the most interesting stuff. Its how they stealthily might be able to introduce the
masses to bitcoin.
chicken65

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 06:33:14 PM

Gems is free aswell and heavy on your privacy too, but it has innovations Telegram doesn't offer. Build on Bitcoin making it possible to add advanced features like a value-reward system and a whole economical model in a simple way, being able to have an in built Bitcoin and Gemz wallet, sending value like money through the app without long addresses, without fees and instant like sending a message, unsolicited messages, hashtag options for users, you can chose to allow ads or not and if you allow you get rewarded, rewarded for activity in the network, rewarded for introducing new users, being able to make contact with users you don't have in your contact list which will cost you Gemz, setting the minimum Gemz you want to receive, anti-spam etc. That's pretty revolutionary, that's why it's called next gen IM. Why would i use Telegram if i can have Gems with all the benefits of Telegram on top of it. After all we are Crypto technology enthusiasts.

The explanation on 'attention economy' build around the app is really fascinating and innovative which opens the gateway to do many things.

Podcast http://shoutengine.com/BitcoinNewsWeekly/dollars-to-bitcoins-banks-hate-bitcoin-the-gold-5231

And also the vast majority dont care about the tech. The reason so many social apps fail is because they can't shift people away from what they currently use. For sure some Telegram users might shift but the Facebook and Twitter hordes are a different matter, and if were honest there is little chance of that happening when some far bigger projects have failed to make a dent. Im not saying this is not a good idea because I like all this stuff. Will I invest? probably not but in a way I do hope I regret that.
And im currently still using Telegram, Unseen.is, Skype (for work), Twitter, but not Facebook because they really are the devil!
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 06:51:35 PM
Last edit: December 17, 2014, 07:05:36 PM by superresistant

And also the vast majority dont care about the tech. The reason so many social apps fail is because they can't shift people away from what they currently use. For sure some Telegram users might shift but the Facebook and Twitter hordes are a different matter, and if were honest there is little chance of that happening when some far bigger projects have failed to make a dent. Im not saying this is not a good idea because I like all this stuff. Will I invest? probably not but in a way I do hope I regret that.
And im currently still using Telegram, Unseen.is, Skype (for work), Twitter, but not Facebook because they really are the devil!

I totally see them moving away as fast as they came.
I remember when I started using Facebook and talking about it : everyone looked me like an alien, a lot of people were using "MySpace" and they couldn't see the reason to move to FB.
Today, I don't know anyone that don't use FB and I no one remember "MySpace".
Technology and habits move extremely fast.
People tend to forget how was the world 5 years ago like if they have Alzheimer.
nextgencoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 06:52:18 PM

Two further benefits I think of moving to Telegram is Telegram is the new talked about app, so while its not Whatsapp yet it's moving in that direction so we can ride the coat tails of the press attention.

But the overlooked one is Telegram is to messenging what Bitcoin/Gems is to money. It's clearly for the people and not some guy making money, if you research the founders they are Libertarians. It's a good fit all round. they might even want to partner with GEMs later.
Netnox
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 06:54:21 PM

Two further benefits I think of moving to Telegram is Telegram is the new talked about app, so while its not Whatsapp yet it's moving in that direction so we can ride the coat tails of the press attention.

But the overlooked one is Telegram is to messenging what Bitcoin/Gems is to money. It's clearly for the people and not some guy making money, if you research the founders they are Libertarians. It's a good fit all round. they might even want to partner with GEMs later.

That would be cool

Netnox
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 06:55:43 PM

I totally see them moving away as fast as they came.
I remember when I started using Facebook and talking about it : everyone looked me like an alien, a lot of people where using "MySpace" and they couldn't see the reason to move to FB.
Today, I don't know anyone that don't use FB and I no one remember "MySpace".
Technology and habits move extremely fast.
People tend to forget how was the world 5 years ago like if they had Alzheimer.

Indeed people move pretty fast in this case, see Instagram, Snapchat etc. When they hear an app is going viral or getting some name recognition they tend to follow.
nextgencoin
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 07:42:50 PM

It's a random thought but I think it's would of been great to have the mining function of Mangocoinz on an app like GEMS. I don't know why Mangocoinz hasn't had much recognition on this forum. Whatever the quality of the app the concept of mining is pretty interesting at least.

http://www.mangocoinz.com

Netnox
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 08:02:47 PM
Last edit: December 17, 2014, 08:16:44 PM by Netnox

It's a random thought but I think it's would of been great to have the mining function of Mangocoinz on an app like GEMS. I don't know why Mangocoinz hasn't had much recognition on this forum. Whatever the quality of the app the concept of mining is pretty interesting at least.

Mining should be avoided imo, because it is invented to secure transactions. Since Gems is using the Bitcoin Blockchain it is already secure so it would not make really sense. Rewarding through mining would disrupt the current reward model which is daily around 27k gemz. Mining for coins also brings a whole technical vibe into a system that is meant to be non-technical. I think people give the priority to just receive them automatically because it's easy and convenient instead of having to shut something as 'mining' on and off. Crypto is already a new thing, adding mining is unnecessary.
nextgencoin
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 08:43:30 PM

Mining should be avoided imo, because it is invented to secure transactions. Since Gems is using the Bitcoin Blockchain it is already secure so it would not make really sense. Rewarding through mining would disrupt the current reward model which is daily around 27k gemz. Mining for coins also brings a whole technical vibe into a system that is meant to be non-technical. I think people give the priority to just receive them automatically because it's easy and convenient instead of having to shut something as 'mining' on and off. Crypto is already a new thing, adding mining is unnecessary.

you're probably right, it wasn't that serious a point, just throwing it out there.
Netnox
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 12:47:17 PM

This particular question is related to services like Gems which acts as a service layer on the Bitcoin 1.0 protocol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcwauLnVdOg&t=6m51s
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 01:44:32 PM

This particular question is related to services like Gems which acts as a service layer on the Bitcoin 1.0 protocol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcwauLnVdOg&t=6m51s

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Pages: « 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 ... 282 »
  Print  

Jump to: