Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 11:20:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER U3 Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 149110 times)
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2015, 06:35:32 AM

Any people in Thailand that would like to get together on a group buy of at least 5 or more of these units? I have run group buys it the past on other forums for other types of goods so would be willing to handle this if we can swing at least 5 units.

You'll probably find some people lurking around the group buys subform: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=137.0

jackbox
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1024

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 06:39:18 AM

Bitmain - Why don't you just sell these as singles or a min. order of two? Why require five? At a small qty it would be an impulse buy and you would most likely sell many. But at the current btc rates requiring a buy of 5 or more these units are expensive in terms of btc for the lack of bang for buck you get for these units. These are units for playing around with, not serious mining. You need to sell them as such instead of requiring bulk buys. I would want one or two, not five or twenty.

Buy a Trezor and Protect your BTC, BCH, BTG, DASH, LTC, DGB, ZEC, ETH and ETC from hackers.
If I was helpful please buy me a coffee BTC: 1DWK7vBaxcTC5Wd2nQwLGEoy8xdFVzGKLK  BTG: AWvN1iBqCUqG2tEh3XoVvRbdcGrAzfBBpW
If I was helpful please buy me a burger DGB: DLASV6CUQpGtGSyaVz5FYuu5YxZ17MoGQz
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2015, 09:49:06 AM

Bitmain - Why don't you just sell these as singles or a min. order of two? Why require five? At a small qty it would be an impulse buy and you would most likely sell many. But at the current btc rates requiring a buy of 5 or more these units are expensive in terms of btc for the lack of bang for buck you get for these units. These are units for playing around with, not serious mining. You need to sell them as such instead of requiring bulk buys. I would want one or two, not five or twenty.

Shipping. The bulk kits go to localised resellers so end customers can buy one at a sensible price. Have a look on Amazon etc.

jackbox
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 09:50:15 AM

Shipping. The bulk kits go to localised resellers so end customers can buy one at a sensible price. Have a look on Amazon etc.

Prices on Amazon and eBay for U3 units are not reasonable in the slightest. Very expensive for what you are getting.

Buy a Trezor and Protect your BTC, BCH, BTG, DASH, LTC, DGB, ZEC, ETH and ETC from hackers.
If I was helpful please buy me a coffee BTC: 1DWK7vBaxcTC5Wd2nQwLGEoy8xdFVzGKLK  BTG: AWvN1iBqCUqG2tEh3XoVvRbdcGrAzfBBpW
Visvas

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 08:01:15 AM

Done some more testing her, got hand on another u3 as well, total of 3 now.

1) Did work for a little while pretty well. then stopped functioning at all. Test different psu, cables, powered hubs etc. Cleaned up inside, still dead. Got a refund from Cryptocrane
2) The other one from Cryptocrane worked, but a bit slow. Faster now with the cgminer 4.8 build from Antminer, might be that one optimizes a bit better than i managed myself. Cleaned it up inside as well, no issues with just this alone now, nearly ever zombies. Directly connected to the pc, usb 2 port.
3) the new addition, reportedly unstable and zombie'ing. Cleaned it up inside, applied new paste etc. Working pretty well, but something wrong with usb recognition. I have to install the winusb driver again if i unplug it, even if back to the same port.

If i start cgminer with both connected, it fails. Starting cgminer, adding one, waiting till it runs, then adding the other, and they seem to be stable for quite a while. Not working with both of them on the same hub.
Zadig freezes if it believes driver install failed (even though it actually installs)
fullzero
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 12:43:24 PM

I went to buy 5 of these yesterday; and found Bitmain had removed the option to buy only 5.
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 01:14:28 PM

I have to install the winusb driver again if i unplug it, even if back to the same port.

If i start cgminer with both connected, it fails.

I only had the winusb driver issue when I was running a new R-box at the same time, not seen it in isolation before.

I went to buy 5 of these yesterday; and found Bitmain had removed the option to buy only 5.

Will see whats going on with that.

BITMAIN_JLXUE

Activity: 11

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 03:35:22 AM

Done some more testing her, got hand on another u3 as well, total of 3 now.

1) Did work for a little while pretty well. then stopped functioning at all. Test different psu, cables, powered hubs etc. Cleaned up inside, still dead. Got a refund from Cryptocrane
2) The other one from Cryptocrane worked, but a bit slow. Faster now with the cgminer 4.8 build from Antminer, might be that one optimizes a bit better than i managed myself. Cleaned it up inside as well, no issues with just this alone now, nearly ever zombies. Directly connected to the pc, usb 2 port.
3) the new addition, reportedly unstable and zombie'ing. Cleaned it up inside, applied new paste etc. Working pretty well, but something wrong with usb recognition. I have to install the winusb driver again if i unplug it, even if back to the same port.

If i start cgminer with both connected, it fails. Starting cgminer, adding one, waiting till it runs, then adding the other, and they seem to be stable for quite a while. Not working with both of them on the same hub.
Zadig freezes if it believes driver install failed (even though it actually installs)

-->
Starting cgminer, adding one, waiting till it runs, then adding the other,

It is the right operation
jackbox
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 03:37:40 AM

So Dogie, did you get an answer from Bitmain why the option to buy five U3s is gone?  Cry

Phosphorous

Activity: 556
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 06:27:10 AM

An update on my saga.

After trying to get my U3 RMA's by Bitmain they didn't want to do it because I bought from MinerSource. They wanted me to get MinerSource's order number. Why they need this I don't know, because at the time we were less than 3 months out from the product's release date so it had to be under warranty. But regardless, I contacted MinerSource. MinerSource does not (or did not) have a posted return policy. But after some email exchanges with MinerSource, they kindly sent me 2 additional units at no expense. Very nice of them!

While waiting for the units to arrive, I had my first unit taken apart and cleaned the heatsink compound by a professional technician and had it reapplied. This did actually improve the functioning and reliability of the device but not to any extent that I could call it reliable and get it to run more than a day. I am going to do more testing with running individual units by themselves. It appears that best case scenario is having ONE that works by itself.

Once the other two units arrived I also paid to have them cleaned. I think they work better now when by themselves, but they do not work well together at all! I can sometimes get 2 to work for a little while but within an hour 1 will die. Upon plugging in the 3rd one at least one will almost instantly go ZOMBIE.

Conclusion:
The U3 is a PIECE OF SHIT.
Dogie claims there are 1000's running just fine but no one will post to claim they have one of them.
Clearly they released the U3 without testing it. This is obvious because there was no CGMiner support for it when I first got mine and I had to wait a few weeks for CK to work his magic. But even his magic can't polish this turd.

My thoughts: Bitmain needs to replace every U3 out there with their tested, fully functional next-gen U3.

About my setup:
I have a powered USB hub and many USB ports on my desktop computer. I have tried them all, mixing and matching, every combination.
I have 1 Rockminer R-Box. This thing is solid. It just works.
I have 3 U3 paper weights.
Running CGMiner 4.9.0.
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2015, 04:26:11 PM

Dogie claims there are 1000's running just fine but no one will post to claim they have one of them.

Its the other way around, there are 10,000s of U3s out there and only a handful of complaints. There are more problems then Bitmain would like but its not as doomsday as you're portraying.

Clearly they released the U3 without testing it. This is obvious because there was no CGMiner support for it when I first got mine and I had to wait a few weeks for CK to work his magic. But even his magic can't polish this turd.

There was no mainstream cgminer support, Bitmain releases and maintains its own cgminer branch which was published before release.
My thoughts: Bitmain needs to replace every U3 out there with their tested, fully functional next-gen U3.

You should test without the R-box (assuming you mean new R-box?) Its known to conflict with U3s as they both use the same ID chip.

dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2015, 04:26:48 PM

So Dogie, did you get an answer from Bitmain why the option to buy five U3s is gone?  Cry

Not yet unfortunately, a lot of people were travelling this week so there's a few things in stasis. Hopefully back to normal on Monday.

Phosphorous

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 05:19:55 PM

Its the other way around, there are 10,000s of U3s out there and only a handful of complaints. There are more problems then Bitmain would like but its not as doomsday as you're portraying.
OK, so why won't anyone here post claiming that they don't have a complaint with theirs?

[q]There was no mainstream cgminer support, Bitmain releases and maintains its own cgminer branch which was published before release.[/q]
We all tried that CGMiner and it was GARBAGE and didn't support any other miners. Go back to the beginning of the thread.

You should test without the R-box (assuming you mean new R-box?) Its known to conflict with U3s as they both use the same ID chip.
[/quote]
Believe me I did. Didn't make a difference.
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2015, 05:38:58 PM

OK, so why won't anyone here post claiming that they don't have a complaint with theirs?

Because that's just not how things work...

Phosphorous

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 05:54:06 PM

Because that's just not how things work...
Oh come on! If anyone has one that is working, you know they would post here and say so after seeing all of this dialog.
Chris_Sabian
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 09:24:06 PM

Anyone having a group buy for the U3?

I would like 1 or 2 to play around with but I don't want to buy 20 or 5.

Prices from resellers are almost 2x the bitmain price.
Helfred

Activity: 54

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 07:52:17 AM

Hi to all,

I am new to this.

Have a U3 running directly to notebook, running - more or less - stable at 785@225.
Avg is ~56

Not really satisfying. Every 4 or 5 days it needs a hard reset. It really helps in this case if you reinstall zadig drivers.
Some times i think, most of the problems the U3 has is due to the usb drivers, but cannot proof that.

I am using cgminer 4.9.0 an a win7/32 bit notebook.

One more question: i always used Zadig and choosed the winsub driver.

Is choosing the libusb-win32 probably better ?
Someone tried this ?
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2015, 11:47:51 AM

Hi to all,

I am new to this.

Have a U3 running directly to notebook, running - more or less - stable at 785@225.
Avg is ~56

Not really satisfying. Every 4 or 5 days it needs a hard reset. It really helps in this case if you reinstall zadig drivers.
Some times i think, most of the problems the U3 has is due to the usb drivers, but cannot proof that.

I am using cgminer 4.9.0 an a win7/32 bit notebook.

One more question: i always used Zadig and choosed the winsub driver.

Is choosing the libusb-win32 probably better ?
Someone tried this ?

You need to Zadig for it to work. You may get long term stability on a powered USB hub.

Helfred

Activity: 54

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 12:26:34 PM

By the way: I noted that cgminer is showing the Antminer as

0:AU3:0 then after a time 1:AU3:1 ... and so on

Does someone know, what the number shows ?

nicklello

Activity: 193
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 04:47:25 PM

By the way: I noted that cgminer is showing the Antminer as

0:AU3:0 then after a time 1:AU3:1 ... and so on

Does someone know, what the number shows ?

I was getting exactly this problem (although the U3 is connected to a RPI rather than a laptop)

It turned out to be the cheap power supply that came with the U3 ; for me the solution was to take power off the ATX PSU that I have for other miners; there are several recommendations on better standalone power supplies in this thread,
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 »
  Print  

Jump to: