Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:41:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] LocalBitcoins.com - a location-based bitcoin to cash marketplace  (Read 125855 times)
kangasbros (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 09:23:31 AM
Last edit: August 18, 2012, 07:34:32 AM by kangasbros
Merited by OgNasty (5), MaoChao (1)

The site: http://localbitcoins.com/

Features

- tries to resolve your location based on your IP, but you can also specify zipcode/postal code search
- anonymous by default, no email addresses shown. You decide afterwards if you accept the offer, and of course you can use throw-away email.
- specify your price using equation - makes it easy to make competitive pricing strategy
- transactions and reputation system. collect reputation via confirmed trades. It is possible to do the transaction on-the-spot with just an one device. Also it is possible to do the transaction with SMS message - quick and easy.

How to run a bitcoin cash exchange for fun and profit - guide

We also wrote a short tutorial for using the site: http://localbitcoins.com/cash_exchange_howto

Features under development

- better process for buyers/sellers
- better UI

Any suggestions are welcome! Especially feedback how well the location works for you, eg. how well your location is determined with the IP, etc.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 09:24:53 AM

Looks like it's twitter bootstrapped. Also, any chance of being able to work on your site in exchange for some bitcoin?

kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 09:29:32 AM

Looks like it's twitter bootstrapped. Also, any chance of being able to work on your site in exchange for some bitcoin?

Yeah, it is twitter bootstrapped. What do you have in mind?

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 11:03:17 AM

How do I edit my existing listing?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 11:12:17 AM

Its the first time I have used one of these which has actually located my town properly.  Smiley

kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 11:18:35 AM

Its the first time I have used one of these which has actually located my town properly.  Smiley

Cool to hear. The IP based location searcher is not perfect, but I hope it will work out for most people Smiley

Now you can actually edit your advertisement from your add edit page. I removed BTC from the currency list, since it might confuse people. The idea is, that all amounts are specified in fiat, since that way it is easier from the change viewpoint - just have some round amount in cash.

2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 12:41:15 PM

a) what does "twitter bootstrapped" mean?
b) can you add "vwap" for use in the equation?

c) my IP is somewhere 400km from my hometown. please let my specify via google maps or SOMETHING.

other than that, awesome.
kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 12:44:36 PM

a) it means that the project uses twitter bootstrap template (just developer thing, not relevant to user)
b) yeah, where can I get this data from?

HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 1202

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 12:45:03 PM

Can you add other contact info fields ?
By default there is only the "email", but users must be able to add more by clicking a "+" ( plus ) button
Then they will be able to edit the "label" and the value/address.

Example:
I click the "+" button, it will add 2 fields, I'll write in the first "Skype" and in the second "hostfat".
Again, I press the "+" button, 2 fields, first "torchat", second "3vmj0379wv0389c730t" ( this isn't my real address, just an example )

You can put a limit of 5/6 fields Smiley

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 12:47:26 PM

Could you add NOK as a currency?

It would be cool if you could set a price like:

Bitcoin charts Euro 24h average * Euro/NOK Market rate * 1.05

or add a text instead of a price.
kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 12:53:57 PM

Can you add other contact info fields ?
By default there is only the "email", but users must be able to add more by clicking a "+" ( plus ) button
Then they will be able to edit the "label" and the value/address.

Example:
I click the "+" button, it will add 2 fields, I'll write in the first "Skype" and in the second "hostfat".
Again, I press the "+" button, 2 fields, first "torchat", second "3vmj0379wv0389c730t" ( this isn't my real address, just an example )

You can put a limit of 5/6 fields Smiley

Thanks for the suggestions! We will think about it, now I just have to fix some bugs...

Could you add NOK as a currency?

It would be cool if you could set a price like:

Bitcoin charts Euro 24h average * Euro/NOK Market rate * 1.05

or add a text instead of a price.

I will try to add more equation parameters and currencies. Thanks for the suggestion.

2weiX
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 12:55:35 PM

a) it means that the project uses twitter bootstrap template (just developer thing, not relevant to user)
b) yeah, where can I get this data from?

https://mtgox.com/api/1/BTCEUR/public/ticker

mtgox has apis for all currency pairs, pretty easy to read for scripts.

c) my location is detected 340km from here... (it probably is, too - company network) can manually change my location? entering my ZIP and location didnt do anything.
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 1202

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 12:57:23 PM

I saw that you already have an android app for easywallet, I think that you can integrate your both services in one!
This is my suggestion for blockchain.info, but I think that it's good also for your Cheesy

Feature request for the android client: Integrate Google Maps / GPS.

Idea

The user must set:
- Username
- If he wants to be always visible on the map ( he will be also visible on a dedicated page on blockchain.info )
- If he wants to show available in a range ( chosen by the user ) of Km/miles
- If he wants to be available only if someone will be near him in a range ( chosen by the user ) of Km/miles ( he will appear on the map with a coloured dot )
- If he wants to be available only if someone will be near him in a range ( chosen by the user ) of Km/miles ( the map will just show that there is someone that accept/use bitcoin near the place but it will not show the dot )
- Friends-list: the user can chose to be visible only to some users that he selected as friends.

Some other options:
- Notification if the app find someone near a range ( chosen by the user ) of Km/miles

This is just an idea that can be easily improved.
The main point is to encourage and make easier the hand-to-hand market with Bitcoin, or simply to find other people to talk about this project near our home Smiley

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 12:59:36 PM

c) my location is detected 340km from here... (it probably is, too - company network) can manually change my location? entering my ZIP and location didnt do anything.

Yeah, you should be able to change your location with "Specify location". What is your ZIp and country, so I can research it?

The system resolves location from google, but some bot probably scraped all the locations so we are banned now or something... However zipcodes and postal codes should work, because I inserted them manually.

kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 01:01:11 PM

BTW, anyone have suggestions where I could fetch normal currency exchange rates, eg. NOK -> EUR? Cheesy

2weiX
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 01:01:49 PM

I saw that you already have an android app for easywallet, I think that you can integrate your both services in one!
This is my suggestion for blockchain.info, but I think that it's good also for your Cheesy

Feature request for the android client: Integrate Google Maps / GPS.

Idea

The user must set:
- Username
- If he wants to be always visible on the map ( he will be also visible on a dedicated page on blockchain.info )
- If he wants to show available in a range ( chosen by the user ) of Km/miles
- If he wants to be available only if someone will be near him in a range ( chosen by the user ) of Km/miles ( he will appear on the map with a coloured dot )
- If he wants to be available only if someone will be near him in a range ( chosen by the user ) of Km/miles ( the map will just show that there is someone that accept/use bitcoin near the place but it will not show the dot )
- Friends-list: the user can chose to be visible only to some users that he selected as friends.

Some other options:
- Notification if the app find someone near a range ( chosen by the user ) of Km/miles

This is just an idea that can be easily improved.
The main point is to encourage and make easier the hand-to-hand market with Bitcoin, or simply to find other people to talk about this project near our home Smiley

I was thinking that today, as I was roaming the city... if I could advertise my services on a website and ppl could locate me on google maps to do trades, that'd be awesome.

Yeah, you should be able to change your location with "Specify location". What is your ZIp and country, so I can research it?

The system resolves location from google, but some bot probably scraped all the locations so we are banned now or something... However zipcodes and postal codes should work, because I inserted them manually.

I did enter 10627 Berlin, but it still put me 340 km away (Frankfurt, imho)
kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 01:08:19 PM

I did enter 10627 Berlin, but it still put me 340 km away (Frankfurt, imho)

http://localbitcoins.com/postal_code/DE/10627/

Hmm, seems to work for me, it is 4,5 kilometers from my place (10557, Berlin).

Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 01:09:26 PM

This service rocks. It has the potential to become big once it's polished a bit.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
slothbag

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 01:17:46 PM

Nice site, few bugs trying to place an ad but easy fixes i'm sure.

I've added it to the bitcoin counsel announcements page.. http://bitcoincounsel.com/announcements
2weiX
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 01:41:13 PM

here's another API for MTGOX

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=61110.0;topicseen
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 »
  Print  

Jump to: