Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:28:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which note wins first place?
Blue/grey note with fractals - 49 (32.7%)
Bit-Pay Leonardo note - 18 (12%)
Orange B-Cash note - 23 (15.3%)
Psy Yellow Note - 60 (40%)
Total Voters: 149

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you like to design a bitcoin banknote?  (Read 94762 times)
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 09:44:39 PM

Why we need two barcodes on a note?
If we have one protected and one unprotected codes, I can see the reason: wee use unprotected "verify"-code to verify and protect a "spend"-code.
But in all notes in this thread, we use both codes in unprotected way. Why can't we just use only one "spend"-code on this type of notes?

Yeah and isn't there a way to extract the bitcoin address from the private key anyway? So if you wanted to load the note with BTC you could scan the private key and get a program to tell you the address...

What if you wanted someone to send you the change of an offline transaction to the public key hash? Is it wise to give them the private key?

I'm sure that's only one of the reasons.
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rastapool

Activity: 423
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 10:12:31 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2012, 10:24:07 PM by rastapool

What if you wanted someone to send you the change of an offline transaction to the public key hash?
Just use stuff like this, why you want to use paper money in situation where they works bad.

Funding the notes via scanning the private key also creates an unnecessary security risk.
Unnecessary security risk? This notes are totally insecure when someone have physical access to it. You can't decrease security of this notes by deleting public key, and so it is zero. Second key on note is like

Only ways I can see for using this notes is are gift note and offline currency storage. In both ways you don't need second key.

The parasite hates three things: free markets, free will, and free men.
Napster is down - this is the END of illegal file sharing!
LoweryCBS

Activity: 364

firstbits 1LoCBS

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 11:11:32 PM

EDITED:

This one supports Satoshi's. The amount should be inserted on the blank line after "Amount:" aligned to the right, but including the denomination, bitcoins or milibitcoints or satoshis or whatever else before or after the number of units.

First of all, these are BEAUTIFUL! (and I'm and avid notaphilist)

I understand that the corner BTC's need to be tilted (in keeping with the current common logo), but to me, the large center BTC looks better perfectly vertical.
(I also prefer the drop-shadow on the corner BTC's)

The only other suggestion is to either drop the "Strength in Numbers" or replace it with a bit more subtle "Vires in Numeris"

Overall, I'm FLOORED with this design! (I've already printed one out and put it under the glass of my desk)

What a great addition to bitaddress.org this will be!
austonst

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 11:25:19 PM

I understand that the corner BTC's need to be tilted (in keeping with the current common logo), but to me, the large center BTC looks better perfectly vertical.

The only other suggestion is to either drop the "Strength in Numbers" or replace it with a bit more subtle "Vires in Numeris"

I agree. I love the general design, but having all three large BTC's be tilted makes the whole bill look a little tilted. Feels like there's another nearly-vertical axis that nearly approaches the strength of the the true vertical axis. I love "Strength in Numbers", but "Vires in Numeris" makes it feel more like flavor text on a bill and less important to the usage or understanding of the bill.

teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 11:45:23 PM

EDITED:

This one supports Satoshi's. The amount should be inserted on the blank line after "Amount:" aligned to the right, but including the denomination, bitcoins or milibitcoints or satoshis or whatever else before or after the number of units.

First of all, these are BEAUTIFUL! (and I'm and avid notaphilist)

(I also prefer the drop-shadow on the corner BTC's)

Overall, I'm FLOORED with this design! (I've already printed one out and put it under the glass of my desk)

What a great addition to bitaddress.org this will be!

All perfect points.. I agree on all counts

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2012, 11:50:01 PM

Psy, would you mind sending me the file so I can try my hand at integrating it into bitaddress.org?

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
PrintCoins

Activity: 533
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 12:37:48 AM
Last edit: July 19, 2012, 12:48:34 AM by robkohr

EDITED:

Hi Psy, this looks great! I sell bills at http://printcoins.com, and am also working on a pdf generator for people to print their own bills. Can I use this bill design? Also, could you include placement for numbers for denominated bills? Do you have an illustrator or svg image for this that could be easily edited for different colors?

For reference, these are my current bills:

I also have a color reference guide for denominations I came up with based off of standard poker chip colors:
http://printcoins.com/colors

This might be useful if we want to keep with some sort of common color schemes between designs.

Also, your bill design doesn't conform to 6.14" x 2.61" proportions used on a dollar bill. This might make it a bit of an odd fit for a wallet.

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2012, 12:42:36 AM

Just a thought: could you have the QR code for the private key spit out a string that required a fingerprint to decrypt?

This way, you could use your own fingerprint to keep the bill secure, and not worry about losing it. You could even have a place on the note for endorsing by placing an inked finger on it and leaving your mark.

Might be a stupid/unnecessary idea, but it would solve the "oh no, he snapped a photo of my bearer bond" problem.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
LoweryCBS

firstbits 1LoCBS

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 12:45:01 AM

I agree. I love the general design, but having all three large BTC's be tilted makes the whole bill look a little tilted. Feels like there's another nearly-vertical axis that nearly approaches the strength of the the true vertical axis.

Bingo.

I love "Strength in Numbers", but "Vires in Numeris" makes it feel more like flavor text on a bill and less important to the usage or understanding of the bill.

Perhaps the lettering for "Strength in Numbers" is just a bit too large.
Rather than jump right out at you, it would be something nice to discover upon closer examination...
unclemantis

Activity: 98

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 03:53:22 AM

For inspiration.

For everyday use
http://www.justice.gov/jmd/ps/empsbonds.htm

For cold storage
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Savings-Bonds-3292/2009/8/cash-bond.htm

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2012, 04:10:10 AM

All of these are candidates to share in the $200 reward budget I have allocated for the banknote design project.

In order to be eligible, I need the following:

* PUBLISH your artwork in a layered vector file format (.ai, .svg, .pdf, .psd, etc.) where others may download and manipulate it directly.  JPG/PNG posting on image hosting sites does not count!
* AGREE that you release the artwork to the public domain.  Anyone can use it for whatever they wish without attribution or compensation (for example, robkohr may immediately start making his bitcoin checks out of them).  I deem this accepted by participating in my reward, please explicitly opt out if this term is not acceptable.
* Make reasonable touch-ups as I may request. (I'm not an expert at these programs)
* All of the following will be considered: Creativity; how much effort was spent on it; how responsive you were to suggestions to tweak it; how well it matches my subjective idea of what I was looking for in the first place; and whatever other criteria I feel like throwing on.  But I will be spending $200 on rewards.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
gsan

Activity: 72

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 06:04:08 AM

* PUBLISH your artwork in a layered vector file format (.ai, .svg, .pdf, .psd, etc.) where others may download and manipulate it directly.  JPG/PNG posting on image hosting sites does not count!
* Make reasonable touch-ups as I may request. (I'm not an expert at these programs)

I had started working on alternate fully-vector SVG versions but didn't have time to finish; I'll finish them then, and might steal from the other designs while at it. Do you have specific dimensions in mind?

Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 07:21:46 AM

I liked the green one by psy better than the more asymmetrical yellow ones.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
Timbo925

Activity: 352

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 09:11:16 AM

All of these are candidates to share in the $200 reward budget I have allocated for the banknote design project.

In order to be eligible, I need the following:

* AGREE that you release the artwork to the public domain.  Anyone can use it for whatever they wish without attribution or compensation (for example, robkohr may immediately start making his bitcoin checks out of them).  I deem this accepted by participating in my reward, please explicitly opt out if this term is not acceptable.
* All of the following will be considered: Creativity; how much effort was spent on it; how responsive you were to suggestions to tweak it; how well it matches my subjective idea of what I was looking for in the first place; and whatever other criteria I feel like throwing on.  But I will be spending $200 on rewards.

Great to hear Smiley
I made a public viewing map on my google account here: https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B1-OuUkg4oEBUkhJendXZGxDN0U/edit
Included the .svg, .ai, .png and txt file with the information the design is released under public domain. All should be able to download for editing yourselves. Also kept an extra backup for safety. The font used is called roboto and can be found here: http://developer.android.com/design/style/typography.html

I also accept the above terms. Any voluntarily reward for the design can be payed to 14kWQ58rUQj7JEzixtjLeQPd2hAj5zpVeY
If their are any suggestions please share and I'll try to make it better.
Jouke

Activity: 426

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2012, 09:20:54 AM

Casascius, Can I add 10 BTC to this budget?

2.5BTC for each one.

Pretty good work. Smiley

Very nice gesture!

Love the designs!

Koop en verkoop snel en veilig bitcoins via iDeal op Bitonic.nl
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2012, 01:59:52 PM

Casascius, Can I add 10 BTC to this budget?

2.5BTC for each one.

Pretty good work. Smiley

Sure, that would be awesome and universally appreciated.  How about to 126Y8Pmnnwx53e8cEj7ingmsiNHcUaGC3W.

TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 02:17:39 PM

All are nice: 2, 3, 4, 1

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
rxw

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 02:33:40 PM
Last edit: July 19, 2012, 03:26:38 PM by rxw

NEW AND IMPROVED

https://i.imgur.com/fnpR8.png

Please let me know if this doesn't meet requirements. Constructive criticism appreciated. Do you think I should add an amount box? It would go above the left QR code.

The full resolution, which when printed at 300 PPI should match the dimensions of a US dollar, and the PSD file if you would like to make edits (there are some other spirographs you can put behind Mr Turing's head) are available at:
http://dropcanvas.com/jfp75

Also I'm not sure exactly what the QR codes are supposed to be, but if you print out the full resolution at 300 ppi the larger should be 30mm square and the smaller should be 25mm square per spec. I guess the larger is a Bitcoin address, and the smaller is the (possibly encrypted) private key for that address?

EDIT I replaced the full resolution with a .JPG, which appears to handle the gradient better. Smaller file size too!
unclemantis

Activity: 98

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 03:24:18 PM

NEW AND IMPROVED

Please let me know if this doesn't meet requirements. Constructive criticism appreciated. Do you think I should add an amount box? It would go above the left QR code.

The full resolution, which when printed at 300 PPI should match the dimensions of a US dollar, and the PSD file if you would like to make edits (there are some other spirographs you can put behind Mr Turing's head) are available at:
http://dropcanvas.com/jfp75

Also I'm not sure exactly what the QR codes are supposed to be, but if you print out the full resolution at 300 ppi the larger should be 30mm square and the smaller should be 25mm square per spec. I guess the larger is a Bitcoin address, and the smaller is the (possibly encrypted) private key for that address?

+1

Maybe some more complicated graphics for the background but other than that WINNER!

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
LoweryCBS

firstbits 1LoCBS

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 04:38:00 PM

Simply for my own enjoyment, I made one with my favorite features from the prior versions:

larger image here: http://imgur.com/NAWgf
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: