Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:47:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [GLBSE] BDT - 3% weekly interest bond, backed by Bitdaytrade  (Read 57794 times)
pyrkne

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 10:46:21 AM

The topic of this thread is the bond, not Bitdaytrade itself (which probably is also a scam, but not a ponzi). This 3% per week "bond" had all the hallmarks of a ponzi and the same predictable and predicted outcome as a ponzi.
It's nothing like a ponzi. The characteristic of a ponzi is that the underlying business is kept hidden and actually does not exist; in this case the business was specified and did exist (whatever problems it had).

Of course, this was one of the reasons the bond was so attractive. An actual website made it seem so legitimate.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 09:09:57 AM

Nefario and I are working on a repayment plan with Alberto and will post updates when there's significant progress.

Thanks to the both of you for your continuing effort! The work you are doing is vitally important since having your ID and such verified, must be made to mean something. Thanks again!

Thank you for pushing this. But please do not take promises to pay too serious - could also be typical delay tactics.

I suppose criminal prosecution will work quite well within EU member states. And the evidence in this case seems sufficient to justify prosecution ''in public interest''.
Well, let's wait a (little) bit to see if Alberto is able to resolve this...
We're approaching this in multiple ways. The best outcome by far is if Alberto voluntarily repays, litigation would be a lengthy process with an uncertain outcome.

I did not talk about litigation. I was talking about criminal prosecution.

But I agree, it would be best for Alberto to voluntarily repay. Pronto.  Grin
Francesco

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 11:35:02 AM

The topic of this thread is the bond, not Bitdaytrade itself (which probably is also a scam, but not a ponzi). This 3% per week "bond" had all the hallmarks of a ponzi and the same predictable and predicted outcome as a ponzi.
It's nothing like a ponzi. The characteristic of a ponzi is that the underlying business is kept hidden and actually does not exist; in this case the business was specified and did exist (whatever problems it had).

Of course, this was one of the reasons the bond was so attractive. An actual website made it seem so legitimate.

Exactly. I was so worried about ponzies at the time that, being clear this couldn't be one, I happily invested without almost considering it could be a different scam... luckily I then woke up and sold early enough!
Eisenhower34
Legendary

Activity: 906
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 01:46:14 PM

And I did quite the opposite... I never trusted him at the beginning, then after several weeks of payout i thought I lose a good opportunity and now he defaulted 2 weeks after...
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 02:11:56 PM

Exactly. I was so worried about ponzies at the time that, being clear this couldn't be one, I happily invested without almost considering it could be a different scam... luckily I then woke up and sold early enough!

The problems about BDT were clearer than everyone thinks from the beginning, but the once convincing arguments became foggier and then completely drowned as BitDayTrade started being accused of being a Ponzi scheme to no end, together with the avoidance of the subject of its business aspect. In reality, everything about BDT that points to a scam is directly related to its business model and Alberto's competence. The lesson here is, tune out the naysayers together with the promoters and focus on what people who have real information say.
cytokine
Donator

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 07:51:53 PM

Any news on when we can expect our coins back? I thought most of them were just sitting in the chain right outside of the GLBSE under Alberto's control. If that's the case, he should be able to pay off the majority of the debt pretty quickly.
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2012, 07:56:03 PM

Any news on when we can expect our coins back? I thought most of them were just sitting in the chain right outside of the GLBSE under Alberto's control. If that's the case, he should be able to pay off the majority of the debt pretty quickly.
This probably is not the case. I wouldn't hold my breath.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Bjork

Activity: 457

Look for the bear necessities!!

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 11:51:18 PM

Has he made any "repayments"?

Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 05:23:01 AM

He paid a bit and is supposed to pay some more in a few days.

Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
stochastic

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 05:27:24 AM

The problems about BDT were clearer than everyone thinks from the beginning, but the once convincing arguments became foggier and then completely drowned as BitDayTrade started being accused of being a Ponzi scheme to no end, together with the avoidance of the subject of its business aspect. In reality, everything about BDT that points to a scam is directly related to its business model and Alberto's competence. The lesson here is, tune out the naysayers together with the promoters and focus on what people who have real information say.

Anyone that needs to go to GLBSE to get a site like bitdaytrade.com off the ground is hustling.  If a person can't go out and get a traditional loan then why would anyone want to lend them money?  Was a credit report of this person every pulled?

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
cytokine
Donator

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 05:32:36 AM

How were these distributed? Via dividends? Because I don't see divs for BDT anywhere listed on the GLBSE. In fact, I don't see the asset's page at all anymore. Any ideas what's going on?

I think I got some coins from him (because some mystery coins appeared in my account today), but I need to keep a record of this so that I know exactly how much % of his debt to me Alberto has repaid. Thanks!
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 05:36:40 AM

How were these distributed? Via dividends? Because I don't see divs for BDT anywhere listed on the GLBSE. In fact, I don't see the asset's page at all anymore. Any ideas what's going on?

I think I got some coins from him (because some mystery coins appeared in my account today), but I need to keep a record of this so that I know exactly how much % of his debt to me Alberto has repaid. Thanks!

If there was a dividend payment there would be a record of it in your account.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
cytokine
Donator

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 05:41:44 AM

If there was a dividend payment there would be a record of it in your account.

Nope, no record of a div payment for BDT. So I don't understand Meni's statement "He has paid a bit"...?

(Update - btw the mystery coins actually look like a sell order was hit, so these are not related to BDT.)

Still though: why can't I look at the dividend history of BDT? The asset page won't load.
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 05:55:42 AM

He paid a bit to Meni, and hopefully if he pays the next bit (which will be bigger) a payment to asset holders can be made.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 06:05:47 AM

Anyone that needs to go to GLBSE to get a site like bitdaytrade.com off the ground is hustling.  If a person can't go out and get a traditional loan then why would anyone want to lend them money?  Was a credit report of this person every pulled?
The same could be said about pretty much every bond or loan in this market. Some of them were legitimate to various degrees, others not. People have their reasons to want to borrow in this way.

A credit report of Alberto was not pulled; in hindsight that could have been a good idea, but people have been borrowing much larger amounts with much less scrutiny.

How were these distributed? Via dividends? Because I don't see divs for BDT anywhere listed on the GLBSE.
You're polling too frequently, we're talking about a timescale of weeks at least.

So far Alberto has paid 200 BTC, which I thought would be reasonable to go towards the debt to me (5% of it) since I didn't get the two last coupons (6.6%). He should pay 2000 soon and if he does we'll figure out the exact distribution.

In fact, I don't see the asset's page at all anymore. Any ideas what's going on?
Right. Nefario?

Bjork

Activity: 457

Look for the bear necessities!!

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 02:25:49 PM

Quote from: Meni Rosenfeld link=topic=93445.msg1
[/quote
You're polling too frequently, we're talking about a timescale of weeks at least.

So far Alberto has paid 200 BTC, which I thought would be reasonable to go towards the debt to me (5% of it) since I didn't get the two last coupons (6.6%). He should pay 2000 soon and if he does we'll figure out the exact distribution.

I have no problem with the 200 btc going to you, however, the last two coupons were not part of the "repayment" right?  i.e. those were dividends not counting toward the 1 btc owed per bond

cytokine
Donator

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 07:53:12 PM

He should pay 2000 soon and if he does we'll figure out the exact distribution.

Any ETA on this?
guruvan

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 08:26:37 PM

He paid a bit to Meni, and hopefully if he pays the next bit (which will be bigger) a payment to asset holders can be made.

I have no interest in this (it looked like a scam from page 1 of this thread, to me), however - this seems completely wrong headed.

meni represented the asset to investors. Investors have lost out. Meni should be doing the honorable thing here and putting himself in 2nd creditor position AFTER the bondholders. This would undoubtedly help Meni's reputational damage control effort Smiley

Just my 2 satoshis.

IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 09:22:48 PM

I have no interest in this (it looked like a scam from page 1 of this thread, to me), however - this seems completely wrong headed.

meni represented the asset to investors. Investors have lost out. Meni should be doing the honorable thing here and putting himself in 2nd creditor position AFTER the bondholders. This would undoubtedly help Meni's reputational damage control effort Smiley

Just my 2 satoshis.

+1

What gives me an unpleasant feeling is that he is still not communicating on the matter in an open way...
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 09:57:56 PM

Just my 2 satoshis.

+2

Exactly what I was thinking. Meni's involvement and endorsement is what gave this credibility, he should be last, not first in line.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: