Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:26:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Public STATEMENT Regarding Bitcoinica account hack at MtGox  (Read 72784 times)
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 07:58:02 AM

I dont' know, a email is easy to hack, especially when you heavily reuse your password.

Bitcoinica can be hacked,  
Bitcoin Consultancy's email can be hacked,
Why can't be Zhoutong's email?

Now i don't think Zhoutong is the hacker, he can't be that stupid.

Embarrassed

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 07:58:40 AM

Doesn't Mike Hearn, a bitcoiner himself, work for Account Security at Google?
Maybe ask him for help with the Gmail access logs, Zhou Tong?
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 08:01:17 AM

If criminal charges are brought against him and the Australian government/embassy is informed then they might cancel his visa.

Our government would not cancel someone's visa simply because they've been charged with a crime, especially a non-violent crime.  Half the time we refuse to extradite when requested.

Apparently everyone wants someone else to involve law enforcement.  Unfortunately, that means that Zhou is going to be tried in the court of public opinion rather than have the weight of the evidence against him determined by disinterested outsiders.

About him attending college in Australia. Is there any proof of that besides him stating such.

The phone number in the AurumXchange transaction which Zhou says is his is a landline in the state of Victoria.  It would certainly be possible to ring it and find out the relationship of the person answering to Zhou.

It is utterly ridiculous that people are making threats of personal harm over this.  Make a police report and let the legal process take it's course.  Taking the law into your own hands will cause more harm to the acceptance of Bitcoin and its supporters than any theft ever will.  Plus, Australian police agencies will take assassination threats very seriously if Zhou does return here.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 08:01:50 AM

I am honestly shocked by reading this.
Not shocked by the bitcoinica drama (which is almost comical by now), but by the reactions and assumptions here.

Let me sum up the general sentiment here:

- ZT programmed the bitcoinica, which was, mildly said successful. That makes him stand out of 99% of the users here alone.
- Hacks happened. Involving clever things like breaching-several-layers, TOR and the like
- Suddenly, ZTs personal verified accounts, addresses, name shoots up literally everywhere
- How much did ZT receive on his bankaccount (I assume it was stopped anyway)? 5k$? like a few percent of the whole sum? Reminds me of something.. Oh, right, Bitcoin faucet did the last hack! They provable received stolen coins!!1!

Conclusion, it must have been him then?

You seriously assume he, would he have "hacked" several hundred thousand $  out of his former project, would fucking exchange it on his own name the very next name?!?
He would not be clever enough to register a new emailaddress, apparently he had TOR installed already and knew several emailproviders?!?
He would not make everything to bitcoins and let the sit for a while?!?
He, Zhou Tong, would do all the mistakes you could imagine, although no single "hacker" of the other large scams/hacks waas ever found/proven/caught?!?

You must be fucking kidding me.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

*breath in*
*breath out*

Seriously. I am reading here for some time. I always felt some people here are a bit quick with insults and impulsive and all that. But this really shocks me. There are less than a handfull of reasonable posts in this thread. People are touting proven fact that ZT was the thief. And/or are demanding scammertags for Amir. For today, you people disgust me. I will try hard to *always* assume to be surrounded by 10 year olds on this forum. I will only assume reason to people I personally met.
Most of you people won't care at all. But to me, this very thread (and to some extend whole forum) did a noticeable dent in my heart.

People. Please think about it for one single minute from a rational, observing, sceptical perspective. And then try to do this every so often in your life.

Ente

edit
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 08:03:01 AM

It's a shame that this lynch mob is forming based on shoddy evidence presented in an internet forum. I guess that is just the way justice works in the modern world, much like the lynch mobs going after George Zimmerman.  Zhou Tong clearly posted that his email account was hacked.  He has been the victims of hackers before and they are obviously trying to escape justice by framing their victim. It's a shame people are willing to become so manipulated instead of trying to continue to seek out the true criminals.  

Yes, clearly he showed proof that his email account was hacked...   Roll Eyes

Please go read back through all the little bits of info about this email, it's uses, times and what ZT says about it, what and whne he noticed it, etc etc...

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
zhoutong
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 08:06:04 AM

The hacker used Tor for all online communications. I'm looking for alternative ways to locate the person.

I have to say that it's not a good choice for AurumXchange to not include me in the investigation in the first place. I skipped a few classes this afternoon to deal with this mess. However, I have to admit that their intentions are understandable. It's just the fact that 90% of people believing me to be the hacker is driving me mad.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 08:08:25 AM

The hacker used Tor for all online communications. I'm looking for alternative ways to locate the person.

I have to say that it's not a good choice for AurumXchange to not include me in the investigation in the first place. I skipped a few classes this afternoon to deal with this mess. However, I have to admit that their intentions are understandable. It's just the fact that 90% of people believing me to be the hacker is driving me mad.

Which classes? Just curious.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
zhoutong
VIP

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 08:08:45 AM

If criminal charges are brought against him and the Australian government/embassy is informed then they might cancel his visa.

Our government would not cancel someone's visa simply because they've been charged with a crime, especially a non-violent crime.  Half the time we refuse to extradite when requested.

Apparently everyone wants someone else to involve law enforcement.  Unfortunately, that means that Zhou is going to be tried in the court of public opinion rather than have the weight of the evidence against him determined by disinterested outsiders.

About him attending college in Australia. Is there any proof of that besides him stating such.

The phone number in the AurumXchange transaction which Zhou says is his is a landline in the state of Victoria.  It would certainly be possible to ring it and find out the relationship of the person answering to Zhou.

It is utterly ridiculous that people are making threats of personal harm over this.  Make a police report and let the legal process take it's course.  Taking the law into your own hands will cause more harm to the acceptance of Bitcoin and its supporters than any theft ever will.  Plus, Australian police agencies will take assassination threats very seriously if Zhou does return here.

Regarding the phone number:

The $40K transaction is mine and it's entirely legitimate. The phone number is also mine (but please don't call, I need to calm down.)

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 08:09:41 AM

NO one believes any certain person is the hacker. We just don't know really.  And yea, it is quite believable that a hacker would be sure to leave crumb trails pointing at certain parties. We all get that.

It's just the whole fucking mess is frustrating and could have been avoided in so many ways.  Is there any reason what so ever that we cannot get the friggin verified claims paid out before some other 'hack' happens???

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
zhoutong
VIP

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 08:10:07 AM

Which classes? Just curious.

Math and Accounting. I scored 98% in both subjects for the previous exam, so my teachers won't be angry about this.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 08:10:17 AM

Yours or your friend's?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
repentance

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 08:12:16 AM

Zhou, you are not going to convince people of your innocence with forum posts.  Worry about getting exonerated by the legal system instead of trying to prove people on the internet wrong.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Mageant
Legendary

Activity: 1145
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 08:13:17 AM

Why would Zhou withdraw 40k USD via the banking system which leaves traces but then donate 5k BTC to the victims?

That makes no sense to me.

He could have easily kept the 5k BTC and foregone the 40k USD instead, thus leaving no traces at all.

It seems to me somebody is trying to frame Zhou.

cjgames.com
finway

Activity: 714

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 08:14:17 AM

Why would Zhou withdraw 40k USD via the banking system which leaves traces but then donate 5k BTC to the victims?

He could have easily kept the 5k BTC and foregone the 40k USD instead, thus leaving no traces at all.

^this

MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 08:16:37 AM

Initially we were supposed to see legal action started by Bitcoinica, however nothing moved there.

I do hope that something is started soon before all those wild assumptions coming up from everywhere end causing even more harm. This means that the victims (Tihan, Bitcoin Consultancy, Bitcoinica LP, Bitcoinica users) must do the first step to declare themselves as victims before the legal machine can start moving. Unfortunately it seems that at this point, nobody has started anything.
repentance

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 08:18:11 AM

Must be the Freemasons.

zhoutong
VIP

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 08:18:58 AM

Zhou, you are not going to convince people of your innocence with forum posts.  Worry about getting exonerated by the legal system instead of trying to prove people on the internet wrong.

For now, I don't have to convince people of my innocence. Just like what I have always been, I'm taking real actions to solve the puzzle. I discovered that the hacker used my email on various sites, including many e-commerce sites to attempt credit card fraud. It shouldn't be too hard to get his name and address because I control the email anyway.

blakdawg

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 08:20:06 AM

This proves very little in these days of VoIP. It's relatively simple to have any phone number ring anywhere on the planet that's got Internet connectivity.

zhoutong
VIP

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 08:21:14 AM

Initially we were supposed to see legal action started by Bitcoinica, however nothing moved there.

I do hope that something is started soon before all those wild assumptions coming up from everywhere end causing even more harm. This means that the victims (Tihan, Bitcoin Consultancy, Bitcoinica LP, Bitcoinica users) must do the first step to declare themselves as victims before the legal machine can start moving. Unfortunately it seems that at this point, nobody has started anything.

I really appreciate your effort and I'm definitely co-operating with you in this matter.

zhoutong
VIP

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 08:21:58 AM

This proves very little in these days of VoIP. It's relatively simple to have any phone number ring anywhere on the planet that's got Internet connectivity.

As I said, +61 3 9015 7926 is mine and the number is posted on NameTerrific.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: