Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:08:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 [294] 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916347 times)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2013, 07:54:08 AM

It keeps growing,steady pace Wink

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 08:04:42 AM

As long as we don't do parabolic bubbles like Bitcoin does now and then we'll be fine  Grin
Of course if it happened watching this thread would probably help us as we probably started at the low end Xd

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
matt4054
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 08:39:07 AM

Friedcat has very good reasons NOT to deploy more hash power as long as AM hold the current high % of the global Bitcoin hashrate, and it's already close to 30%, so there is little margin here. Approaching 50%, let alone going over it would definitely (and rightfully) be seen as a threat to the security of the network (basically AM could decide what makes it to the blockchain or not, and double spend at wish), creating big FUD on BTC and probably plummeting the exchange rate. Friedcat does not want that to happen of course...

And that's not the only problem, it also wouldn't make sense economically. Always keep in mind that the money supply is constant (less the random variance, and difficulty retargeting every 2000 blocks window, that is removed when considering longer time frames). Let's suppose AM gets close to 100% of the hashrate at, say 200 Thash/sec. Then if it starts hashing at 400 Thash/sec, it would still earn close(r) to 100% and earn... just the same, but with twice the hardware costs, same for electricity costs. See the problem here?
VeeMiner

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 08:46:36 AM

Friedcat has very good reasons NOT to deploy more hash power as long as AM hold the current high % of the global Bitcoin hashrate, and it's already close to 30%, so there is little margin here. Approaching 50%, let alone going over it would definitely (and rightfully) be seen as a threat to the security of the network (basically AM could decide what makes it to the blockchain or not, and double spend at wish), creating big FUD on BTC and probably plummeting the exchange rate. Friedcat does not want that to happen of course...

And that's not the only problem, it also wouldn't make sense economically. Always keep in mind that the money supply is constant (less the random variance, and difficulty retargeting every 2000 blocks window, that is removed when considering longer time frames). Let's suppose AM gets close to 100% of the hashrate at, say 200 Thash/sec. Then if it starts hashing at 400 Thash/sec, it would still earn close(r) to 100% and earn... just the same, but with twice the hardware costs, same for electricity costs. See the problem here?

you are exactly right. I think the most hashrate that AM should deploy is around 35 percent of the network. More than that would be harmful to the bitcoin enviroment and economy.
nebulus

Activity: 490

... it only gets better...

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 11:58:35 AM

you are exactly right. I think the most hashrate that AM should deploy is around 35 percent of the network. More than that would be harmful to the bitcoin enviroment and economy.

Anywhere below 50 is fine.

SebastianJu
Legendary

Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2013, 12:09:01 PM
Last edit: May 25, 2013, 02:20:50 PM by SebastianJu

No. Even more than 30% could be dangerous or seen as an attempt to overwhelm the network. The company is doing more than fine, there's no need to be so greedy.

One could say google is doing more than fine as a business too... but they shouldnt stop growing because they already earn much money. I doubt that AM will get much problems as long as they stay below 50%... of course its hard to ensure this because the network isnt as linear.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 12:30:35 PM

No. Even more than 30% could be dangerous or seen as an attempt to overwhelm the network. The company is doing more than fine, there's no need to be so greedy.

One could say google is doing more than fine too... but they shouldnt stop growing because of that. I doubt that AM will get much problems as long as they stay below 50%... of course its hard to ensure this because the network isnt as linear.

50% would still be potentially devastating. Imagine that the infrastructures of a major pool are suddenly down due to power cut, earthquake, whatever. From just below 50% it will go way above for few hours.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
Endlessa

Activity: 335
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 12:40:27 PM

Anywhere below 50 is fine.

this +++

I've been lurking here quite a while and have read most every post beginning to end.  I find this "Virtual Entity" a fascinating experiment in unregulated, unverified, and anonymous business.  I truly mean that in a positive way.

Though, there is one thing that's troubled me during this adventure.

The "network and psu" issues have happened before and there is this "we're selling surplus inventory because we don't want to scare the bitcoin community with a 51% attack" thing.

first I monitor the hash data very closely and personally verify the calculations and numbers.  There is a "theoretical" 24 th/s deployed, but in general it hovers around 18 th/s with a 4th/s swing (2 above and 2 below) occasionally spiking another 2 in either direction. Now the network has consistently stays above 70 th/s and we haven't seen 50 th/s  in ages (bitcoin time).  AM could easily (theoretically) deploy 50 th/s without risking an approach to a 51% attack.

That being said, I can't accept the "we're selling surplus inventory because we don't want to scare the bitcoin community with a 51% attack" argument (not saying I'm right, I've just been running this around alone in my head and honestly am interested in hearing others views on the subject).  With my experience with software and hardware, I can only see the network and power management complexity double with double the hashrate.  At 200 th/s, it seems odd (in my mind) to think there is feasible infrastructure in place to deal with it.

It seems strange not see this discussed more and I'm honestly interested in a fruitful discussion about it.  Cheesy
Lohoris

Activity: 630

Bitgoblin

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 12:47:05 PM
Last edit: May 25, 2013, 02:00:32 PM by Lohoris

+1

Comparing it to google is so senseless I'm wondering if the guy has any idea how mining works.

edit: apparently that's not exactly what he meant, sorry (still it could have been phrased more clearly Wink)

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
stripykitteh
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 12:50:18 PM

That being said, I can't accept the "we're selling surplus inventory because we don't want to scare the bitcoin community with a 51% attack" argument (not saying I'm right, I've just been running this around alone in my head and honestly am interested in hearing others views on the subject).  With my experience with software and hardware, I can only see the network and power management complexity double with double the hashrate.  At 200 th/s, it seems odd (in my mind) to think there is feasible infrastructure in place to deal with it.

It seems strange not see this discussed more and I'm honestly interested in a fruitful discussion about it.  Cheesy

Assuming that AM haven't gone higher for the reasons you've articulated, what do you think the fix would be? Deploying kit in separate data centres? Having multiple pools for solo mining? I think I've read that they are in 2 data centres at the moment, or at least they switched from one to another.

It appears that the hardware selling, while reasonably successful, is not going to shift vast quantities of blades (unless the price drops over time), so AM are going to have to solve the problem of deploying vast quantities of blades, if it is in fact the issue that they have at the moment.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2013, 01:27:45 PM

+1

Comparing it to google is so senseless I'm wondering if the guy has any idea how mining works.

I thought its pretty clear that i meant the business aspect. A company doesnt stop targetting to earn more money because its already doing fine.

Endlessa

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 01:35:17 PM
Last edit: May 25, 2013, 01:59:29 PM by Endlessa

Assuming that AM haven't gone higher for the reasons you've articulated, what do you think the fix would be? Deploying kit in separate data centres? Having multiple pools for solo mining? I think I've read that they are in 2 data centres at the moment, or at least they switched from one to another.

It appears that the hardware selling, while reasonably successful, is not going to shift vast quantities of blades (unless the price drops over time), so AM are going to have to solve the problem of deploying vast quantities of blades, if it is in fact the issue that they have at the moment.

Without the details of the psu and network problems, I'll assume them to be solvable.  At 40% AM would receive 2400 a day on average (40% of the average of 6000 coins per day), this would be worth $288,000 USD ($120 USD market).  Lets make this easy math and say we are currently doing half that $144,000. It seems feasible to scale this out to multiple data centers or separated network racks in a single center.  Essentially find the stable network, power and hardware levels and duplicate.   For the additional $144,000/1200 bitcoins this seems to be profitable scenario.

An additional solution, that would assist with time to deploy as hash rate/network luck changes, I would keep a 10% (or whatever makes sense) additional hash rate capability deployed (to be explained momentarily).  

I have bitcoind running on my desktop monitoring the blockchain inside of hand-rolled workflow framework interfacing with json rpc api of bitcoind.  It is easily doable to monitor the number of blocks being generated and (assuming there are soft controls for the mining hardware) ensure that you are receiving on average 2.4 (40%) Blocks of 6 Blocks generated per hour.  As the 10% additional hash becomes utilized consistently due to network growth, you deploy more hardware to maintain the 10% buffer.  This avoids reactionary deployment and potential loss of income.  It allows dynamic adjustment to the network and stable income.  It also saves power and wear on hardware, by powering down unnecessary hardware when not needed and maintains the bitcoin network integrity by not surpassing 40% (or whatever) targeted income goal.  Also, it should allow you stabilize buffer hardware deployments prior to the need to utilize them to maintain income. (you can test them by re-prioritizing them in the hardware pool, let me know if you want a brain dump on that)

So that being addressed, you can satisfy the core business needs (mining with hardware for BTC) with math.  Anytime hardware arrives and is not need to maintain the hash rate buffer, it can be sold.  The price should be set in a way (which again is math against supply and demand) that ensures all surplus units are sold.  This would additionally allow a certain level of SLA to be maintained with the channels producing the hardware.  My understanding is this hardware (didn't I read it costs around $100 USD to make) can be produced and priced competitively to compete with the other vendors who seem to be coming online.  

Anyhow, that's how I would do it.

Edit: grammar and clarity
radiumsoup

Activity: 356
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 01:51:02 PM

some stuff

<slight, but temporary detour>
Your avatar looks like a Mandelbrot set - do you have a larger version so I can see what's on the right hand side of it? Just curious.
</slight, but temporary detour>

PGP fingerprint:   0x85beeabd110803b93d408b502d39b8875b282f86
Lohoris

Activity: 630

Bitgoblin

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 02:01:16 PM

I thought its pretty clear that i meant the business aspect. A company doesnt stop targetting to earn more money because its already doing fine.
Sorry, I edited.
I was quite surprised of reading some strange notion from you, in fact.

some stuff

<slight, but temporary detour>
Your avatar looks like a Mandelbrot set - do you have a larger version so I can see what's on the right hand side of it? Just curious.
</slight, but temporary detour>
Here it is.

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
stripykitteh
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 02:05:16 PM

So that being addressed, you can satisfy the core business needs (mining with hardware for BTC) with math.  Anytime hardware arrives and is not need to maintain the hash rate buffer, it can be sold.  The price should be set in a way (which again is math against supply and demand) that ensures all surplus units are sold.  This would additionally allow a certain level of SLA to be maintained with the channels producing the hardware.  My understanding is this hardware (didn't I read it costs around $100 USD to make) can be produced and priced competitively to compete with the other vendors who seem to be coming online.  

Anyhow, that's how I would do it.

Edit: grammar and clarity

Everything you've said sounds reasonable, which makes me wonder if that really is the problem, as it seems like friedcat and his team would have taken steps to ameliorate it if it was the issue (OK, you can't just snap your fingers and make a data centre appear, but you still must be able to acquire rack space in a city the size of Shenzhen at short notice).

I've also read that the hardware costs about $10K per THash. AM are supposed to have about 50THash on hand that hasn't yet been deployed.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.

████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
Endlessa

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 02:13:40 PM

Everything you've said sounds reasonable, which makes me wonder if that really is the problem, as it seems like friedcat and his team would have taken steps to ameliorate it if it was the issue (OK, you can't just snap your fingers and make a data centre appear, but you still must be able to acquire rack space in a city the size of Shenzhen at short notice).

I've also read that the hardware costs about $10K per THash. AM are supposed to have about 50THash on hand that hasn't yet been deployed.

Also as a side note geological/governmental diversity would not hurt.  Find the most bitcoin friendly places in the world and distribute the hardware accordingly.  This prevents "Doomsday" scenarios (government interference/geological disaster) from completely erasing the business.  Again, another issue I have not heard much about.

Anyhow that my .02 BTC Smiley hope it spawns some meaningful discussion Smiley
radiumsoup

Activity: 356
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 02:17:21 PM

Here it is.

Ahh... Bio, not Math. Thanks Smiley

PGP fingerprint:   0x85beeabd110803b93d408b502d39b8875b282f86
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2013, 02:21:42 PM

Sorry, I edited.
I was quite surprised of reading some strange notion from you, in fact.

I edited my post now too to make it more clear...

runeks
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2013, 02:24:26 PM

If this is indeed the path ASICMiner is going down, I sure hope they're not simply letting hardware sit idle, waiting for others to join the network so they can put more hardware to use.

Has friedcat stated his position on this?

In my opinion, if ASICMiner doesn't want to increase its hash rate with hardware it already has (which makes sense), it should sell this hardware instead.

In two years it will be worth nothing (or very little).
stripykitteh
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 02:32:30 PM

Also as a side note geological/governmental diversity would not hurt.  Find the most bitcoin friendly places in the world and distribute the hardware accordingly.  This prevents "Doomsday" scenarios (government interference/geological disaster) from completely erasing the business.  Again, another issue I have not heard much about.

Anyhow that my .02 BTC Smiley hope it spawns some meaningful discussion Smiley

Yes, the DR/failover issue has only been discussed briefly before and probably could be explored further; not that AM are making strategic business planning decisions based on the combined wisdom of this august forum.

As it happens I work in a large data/communications centre owned by a big telco in a geologically and politically stable area a long way from China. I'm sure we could squeeze a couple of thousand blades in and no one would mind.  Wink

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.

████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
Pages: « 1 ... 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 [294] 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: