Bitcoin Forum
August 17, 2024, 02:19:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum - Bitcoin client for the common users (friendly and instant)  (Read 110016 times)
Aurics

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 11:41:18 AM
Last edit: July 11, 2013, 12:49:15 PM by Aurics

I have a problem with Electrum 1.8 for Windows, used by PyQt4 and 'pythonw electrum'
everything works but if it lose server connection then it cannot reconnect by any means manually or with the option of random reconnect.
The only solution is to restart the client. Regular installer version doesn't have this problem.

Edit: When started with 'python electrum' ( command prompt interface ) works correct, but 'pythonW electrum' have the problem.
        I have no idea where the issue is coming from.
-Mk23-

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 09:07:41 PM

I'm wondering if the recent bug with the random number generator affects electrum wallets generated on the android. 
    More specifically I'm usind a single wallet address generated @ bit address, the private jet for that wallet is the seed I used to create my elect rum wallet, I did this by scanning the private qr code when prompted to recover a seed.... 

I would really like to know if I am at risk. A pm would be very appreciated.
Thanks
btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2013, 11:34:33 PM

I'm wondering if the recent bug with the random number generator affects electrum wallets generated on the android. 
    More specifically I'm usind a single wallet address generated @ bit address, the private jet for that wallet is the seed I used to create my elect rum wallet, I did this by scanning the private qr code when prompted to recover a seed.... 

I would really like to know if I am at risk. A pm would be very appreciated.
Thanks

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=272155.msg2919404#msg2919404

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2013, 09:49:42 PM

Just wondering...
 if you import a private key, use and then delete it again how secure is that compared to generating a new private key and sending funds to the new key?

Not just this for Electrum but also in general too

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2013, 11:53:00 PM

Just wondering...
 if you import a private key, use and then delete it again how secure is that compared to generating a new private key and sending funds to the new key?

Not just this for Electrum but also in general too

Generating a new key or importing it is the same, you must generated it before importing it (duh!) so no point on that. In case someone wants to make a refund to the addresses you paid from, you'll lose your money as you've deleted the private key.

In the case of Electrum if you use one of the addresses you have, you'll be always able to recover it from your seed.

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1083

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2013, 06:55:18 PM

oO Whats that? Yesterday i was able to open electrum 1.8.1 fine and today its not working anymore. The process is starting and then its gone. I checked it out and found that my electrum.dat is empty. Zero Bytes. And that happened to both of my electrum wallets that were open. Both have an empty electrum.dat now. I wish electrum would have automatic backups. I didnt take the time yet to create a backup scheme for them so now my last backup is 6 weeks old. I did many transactions in between. Now i have a problem...

I dont understand why both files are emptied.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Tachikoma

Activity: 938

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2013, 07:04:08 PM

You don't have a problem; that's why it is great to have an deterministic wallet. Just restore from seed.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2013, 07:16:43 PM

You don't have a problem; that's why it is great to have an deterministic wallet. Just restore from seed.

Thats not the problem. I have the brainwallet and i even have a 2month, for the first, and a 1month old backup of the wallet dat for the second electrum. The thing is, because of my groupbuy and escrow i had many many transactions in between. All details about that are gone. I only have the addresses and the transactions. I already searched out the unused escrow addresses so i know what its for when payment come in but i now miss much data.
Yes i blame me for not having made better backups earlier but i still wonder how these files could be simply zeroed.
I really should have done something before. The wallet.dat was a problem occassionally before too. Looks like i had to learn from pain again...

Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2013, 07:22:23 PM

I would have enabled the LabelSync plugin; that case it does not matter what happens with your wallet.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2013, 07:28:20 PM

I would have enabled the LabelSync plugin; that case it does not matter what happens with your wallet.

I did this now. And the backupscript i will setup fast too.

Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2013, 07:29:52 PM

Good! Then your setup should be flawless Smiley

jago25_98

Activity: 900

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2013, 11:24:04 AM

On 1.8.0 if I go:

wallet > create backup > open

The backup isn't actually saved there.

Is this a known bug fixed in 1.8.1 ?

I suppose to do it manually you just copy .electrum/electrum.dat

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2013, 11:59:39 AM

I believe this was fixed in 1.8.1

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2013, 10:22:47 AM

How is the csv configured? I tried to use it but only get the error that it cant be recognized. I tried the usually used csv-formats. And i found in thread that the first is the address, second the amount. Thats all info i found since documentation isnt mentioning it.

How does the csv-text have to look alike?

Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2013, 11:13:21 AM

It would help if you clarify what CSV you are talking about.

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2013, 11:49:47 AM

It would help if you clarify what CSV you are talking about.

Isnt that the only csv-function in electrum? I meant the csv Text or File Function that was implemented in the last version that was once requested by me and a nice person implemented it now. I think someone promised a bounty for this too then. Its for doing multiple transactions in one transaction. At least if i dont misunderstand the new feature since i didnt found any info about besides that address is first and value is second.

Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2013, 11:59:24 AM

I have no idea about that functionality; I did not create, neither did Thomas. Are you sure this was pulled into Electrum master?

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2013, 07:52:20 PM

I had done it and it is in my fork. I had not attempted a push to get it included since I had not gotten any feedback on the format. I also got 'some' of the bounty - not all (though honestly w/ the bounty, not a huge deal - o realized I also offerred method of bounty payment as directed towards fundraiser, so I suppose some value could have gone there instead of the address is setup, woops.). Source code at: https://github.com/harningt/electrum

Currently based off 1.8 + some patches.

Input format (no header):
Quoted address, amount to send

Example file data

Code:
"16Ad3kT79J4bUtpKACKTBbwDwJgykwGf5h", 1
"1MME7H55rfY1i9kNxv9K9cj8yqnShqzo2L", 0.0001

If this looks good, I'll rebase it off of master and then see about getting it included possibly.

Thanks... ill try it next time this way when i have a double transaction...

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1032

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2013, 11:13:55 PM

x-post from https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=277470.0

Electrum is categorically not "just as safe".

How so, if you import your private keys, use a >30 character random letter, case, number, symbol passphrase with spaces, lock out all OS randomizer-generated seed addresses, and scan for keyloggers every run? Not talking about offline Armory (ultimate security?) here...

With moderate cost a hacked/rogue/network-intercepted server can tell you've that you've received payments you haven't really received, including payments of coin that doesn't really exist. Your client also sends its of addresses up to the server, so you lose your privacy towards it.

Has anyone submitted a pull request to make Electrum check all the servers against each other (increased sync delay, but nowhere near as bad as full blockchain download), and throw a red flag on the one(s) that don't match?

Not sure what to say about the second one, other than having a random set of addresses generated in the background every time for it to query, without private keys.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2013, 07:09:27 AM

answered there: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=277470.msg2997291#msg2997291

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  

Jump to: