Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 08:15:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Does Evan regret instamining at 100x emission?
YES - It was an accident, he's an honest dev and regrets not relaunching the coin fairly - 24 (12.8%)
YES - he did it on purpose but got too greedy and has regrets due to how hated the coin is now - 21 (11.2%)
NO - It was an accident, but it worked out well for him. No regrets. - 27 (14.4%)
NO - he knowingly engaged in premeditated fraud and profited immensely from it - 116 (61.7%)
Total Voters: 188

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL] Does EVAN DUFFIELD regret instamining DRK/DASH at 100x emission?  (Read 31372 times)
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 10:07:23 PM

there were few miners as the launch was linux-only.

Don't bring in Subjective opinions here. Thanks.

Unless you can define "few" and can prove how many miners there actually were.
Brilliantrocket

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 10:09:12 PM

Show me the law that regulates precisely how I can distribute my magic internet tokens.
Prosperityforall

Activity: 490
Merit: 14

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 10:11:07 PM

It's not Subjective.

Looking at the Darkcoin's dev, when people in Bitcointalk talk about the dev's instamine, and it is able to check via Abe explorer.
Today, he decided to do "Airdrop" 2,000,000 DRK ( are you kidding me ?, he instamine 2 millions darkcoins or almost 18 million USD)
Such a good dev, if people cannot catch his trick, he will definitely go with his instamine.

The first 24 hours of the coins existence keep causing us problems, an "airdrop" could be a solution to this. We could airdrop all holders (uniquely verified) with a equal portion of coin. This coin would come from a block in the future that paid 2 million+ coins to a specific address that I hold. We could use some kind of verification system like mastercoin (http://mastercoin-faucet.com/github-intro)
The airdrop would be a month or so into the future, so it would give users time to buy coins and become holders creating some demand. Also, we'd have a much larger market cap and the argument about the first 24 hours would become invalid.

How would you get a part of the airdrop?

- You must own 100DRK ( if you're new to Darkcoin but want to be part of the drop, you would need to purchase 100DRK ).

One of the following:
- Github: To redeem this reward, you need either at least three public repositories and your account must be older than August 1, 2013
- Reddit: To redeem this reward, you need a Reddit account with more than 100 karma.
- Bitcointalk: To redeem this reward you need an activity score above 10 as well as at least 10 posts

Any of these accounts would need to be created before April 1, 2014.
Vote!

Let's take a look at the first 5 h of Darkcoin (XCoin at that time)...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg4589219#msg4589219
Edufield said (after failed launch) that he will wait the next day to launch DRK (XCoin at that time) it is 11 pm.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg4591407#msg4591407
Edufield disregard windows wallet and daemon and hurry up his launch, presumably to not have windows miners on board.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg4592827#msg4592827
Edufield say he added four nodes for the launch at 4 am (5 hours later, despite his promise to wait). The 4 nodes from Edufield are 3 amazons AWS + another unknown (whois IP). Launch started at 3h54 am.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg4593601#msg4593601
Edufield said the github version was not updated, nobody could compile and only Edufield was able to mine until that time. It is 5.09 am and Edufield instamined alone 1153 block at 500 DRK + 60 block at reward 277 = 593120 DRK for him alone in about 1 hour.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg4593987#msg4593987
No windows wallet confirmed at 5h47 am, despite a user attempt to make one avaiable, that Edufield dismissed quickly.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg4594096#msg4594096
Illodin, understand dev has instamined alot of coin.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg4595573#msg4595573
From this list of nodes, at 8h34 am (4h40 after launch) there were 50 Amazon AWS node and 50 microsoft cloud computing instamining DRK (checked using IP whois service). This is 100/124 nodes using cloud computing to instamine DRK. We are at block 2870 and block reward is 500. From block 1153-1729 block reward is 277. After that it is 500 again hence 2294 block at 500 + 576 at 277 = 1306552 DRK (worth about 13M$ now) were instamined in less than 5 hour by Edufield and coworkers using about 100 cloud mining instances. Edufield himself instamined in not even 5 h from 600K to 1169K DRK ((1306K-600K)*100/124 + 600K) depending how many of the 100 cloud mining instance were its own. All this while having purposefully set the difficult ridiculously low and block reward 100 times what it is now.

From 6M$ - 13M$ in 5 h, Edufield did some lucrative work here!

Edufield is nominee for the Master Scammer 2014 award!

THE FACTS ABOUT DARK COIN

1. released without windows QT so that only dev and pals could mine it.

2. Instamined harder than any other coin out there  12.5% of the current minting was mined in the first day

3. Later they decided to cut the minting by 75% to turn their 12.5% instamine with no windows QT into 50% instamine in 24hours - nice hey

yes that is correct they mined 50% of all the coins available at this time by themselves in the first 24 hours whilst windows users could not mine.

That is the facts.... doesn't matter what else they say... nothing can change what they have done.

Once zero coin, or bytecoin with a decent wallet it released or another darkcoin clone is released.... dark coin will sink like a stone.

Every time they try to spam their coin just post this to remind them of the facts about their coin.

hehe they will accuse anyone to hide their scam...

LET THEM ARGUE WITH THESE FACTS

1.  The block reward was 500 every couple seconds at launch!  Not 20 or 50 coins every 2.5 minutes as listed.  There was also no windows wallet so only linux users could mine.  This allowed about 1.7-2 million Darkcoins to be instamined in the first 24hours.  Representing about 50% OF ALL DARKCOINS CURRENTLY IN EXISTENCE!!!  All mined in the first 24hours by just a few wallets.  Then the rules were changed increasing the block time to 2.5 minutes and eliminating the 500 block reward, (but only after the instaminers had claimed 2 million or so coins first.)

2.  Today many of those day 1 instamined coins have already been sold and right now approx 24% of all Darkcoins are held in just 10 wallets.  This could be 10 people or it could be simply Evan with 10 different wallets.

3.  My opinion is that it is unfair and unfortunate that this occurred and IMO it represents a very real risk to Darkcoin in that there is an opening for a good dev to make an Identical X11 coin that has all the attributes of Darkcoin, plus a few more features, and have a truly fair and equitable launch.  The instamining will continue to be brought up as it currently represents about a 10% premine given the Dev recently reduced the total coins that will ever be in existence to around 22million!

noob fools saying i think it is nice people mining early get more coins...lol you silly noobs.

you would all be crying when a coin comes out with no wallet and a HUGE HUGE HUGE % of minting is mined in 24hours that you will never have a chance at you silly people.

keep quiet over thing you don't understand.

Just print this to anything they say!!!!!!

1.  The block reward was 500 every couple seconds at launch!  Not 20 or 50 coins every 2.5 minutes as listed.  There was also no windows wallet so only linux users could mine.  This allowed about 1.7-2 million Darkcoins to be instamined in the first 24hours.  Representing about 50% OF ALL DARKCOINS CURRENTLY IN EXISTENCE!!!  All mined in the first 24hours by just a few wallets.  Then the rules were changed increasing the block time to 2.5 minutes and eliminating the 500 block reward, (but only after the instaminers had claimed 2 million or so coins first.)

2.  Today many of those day 1 instamined coins have already been sold and right now approx 24% of all Darkcoins are held in just 10 wallets.  This could be 10 people or it could be simply Evan with 10 different wallets.

3.  My opinion is that it is unfair and unfortunate that this occurred and IMO it represents a very real risk to Darkcoin in that there is an opening for a good dev to make an Identical X11 coin that has all the attributes of Darkcoin, plus a few more features, and have a truly fair and equitable launch.  The instamining will continue to be brought up as it currently represents about a 10% premine given the Dev recently reduced the total coins that will ever be in existence to around 22million!

the more they try to justify or excuse it the more people get to read about the scam..............

in the end they will accept it is best to shut up about it and hope people forget.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 10:12:19 PM

Ok now it insta crashes when I type "setgenerate true".

Time to go to bed and try again next week?

Yeah, let's do that. I obviously need to do some more testing. Thanks everyone!

Best thing to do I guess. Please, confirm you won't be launching after some minutes/hours even if you fix it, and the sooner would be tomorrow, thanks.

Definitely not. I'll also follow up with this post when I do set a time.

Evan thought that finding and fixing the bug would take a long time, and would be ready for a new launch the next day the earliest.

No, he said "testing", which inherently takes time and can't be a "quick fix":

I obviously need to do some more testing

In fact, though, testing was not done and there was still a "serious error" when he launched it:

Everyone please update to the new version on the git repo, there was a serious error that I just fixed:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  CreateNewBlock() : ConnectBlock failed
Aborted (core dumped)

Prosperityforall

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 10:14:18 PM

Show me the law that regulates precisely how I can distribute my magic internet tokens.

http://www.fincen.gov/statutes_regs/guidance/html/FIN-2013-G001.html

c.   De-Centralized Virtual Currencies

A final type of convertible virtual currency activity involves a de-centralized convertible virtual currency (1) that has no central repository and no single administrator, and (2) that persons may obtain by their own computing or manufacturing effort.

A person that creates units of this convertible virtual currency and uses it to purchase real or virtual goods and services is a user of the convertible virtual currency and not subject to regulation as a money transmitter. By contrast, a person that creates units of convertible virtual currency and sells those units to another person for real currency or its equivalent is engaged in transmission to another location and is a money transmitter. In addition, a person is an exchanger and a money transmitter if the person accepts such de-centralized convertible virtual currency from one person and transmits it to another person as part of the acceptance and transfer of currency, funds, or other value that substitutes for currency.

Providers and Sellers of Prepaid Access

Dash's developer Vertoe has stated that Dash is centralized and under the sole leadership of Evan Duffield. This would take Dash out of the realm of decentralized virtual currency, and into virtual currency. The instamine would have to be proven to have been done on purpose and with the intent to "decieve"(Hence it being launched earlier than it was intended) and to benefit the developer(Which it did as he mined during that period of time). I'm sure you realize what would come with that, accusing Evan of having a subtle IPO if he had sold any of his coins, since has has promised ROI on the masternodes and the only way to get masternodes would to be buy coins.

Prosperityforall

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 10:17:06 PM

Again, why am I doing your homework for you. I'd like to assume that you're capable of researching these terms for yourselves.
Brilliantrocket

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 10:18:18 PM

That has nothing to do with regulating the initial distribution of a digital currency. Evan was fully within his rights to determine how Dash would be distributed, and furthermore, make changes in the future. He could have premined it 100% and sold the coins for $1000 a piece, and it still wouldn't be illegal. It's obvious that you're grasping at straws.
illodin

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 10:18:20 PM

It's not Subjective.

Looking at the Darkcoin's dev, when people in Bitcointalk talk about the dev's instamine, and it is able to check via Abe explorer.
Today, he decided to do "Airdrop" 2,000,000 DRK ( are you kidding me ?, he instamine 2 millions darkcoins or almost 18 million USD)
Such a good dev, if people cannot catch his trick, he will definitely go with his instamine.

The first 24 hours of the coins existence keep causing us problems, an "airdrop" could be a solution to this. We could airdrop all holders (uniquely verified) with a equal portion of coin. This coin would come from a block in the future that paid 2 million+ coins to a specific address that I hold. We could use some kind of verification system like mastercoin (http://mastercoin-faucet.com/github-intro)
The airdrop would be a month or so into the future, so it would give users time to buy coins and become holders creating some demand. Also, we'd have a much larger market cap and the argument about the first 24 hours would become invalid.

- You must own 100DRK ( if you're new to Darkcoin but want to be part of the drop, you would need to purchase 100DRK ).

One of the following:
- Github: To redeem this reward, you need either at least three public repositories and your account must be older than August 1, 2013
- Reddit: To redeem this reward, you need a Reddit account with more than 100 karma.
- Bitcointalk: To redeem this reward you need an activity score above 10 as well as at least 10 posts

Vote!

Edufield said (after failed launch) that he will wait the next day to launch DRK (XCoin at that time) it is 11 pm.

Edufield disregard windows wallet and daemon and hurry up his launch, presumably to not have windows miners on board.

Edufield say he added four nodes for the launch at 4 am (5 hours later, despite his promise to wait). The 4 nodes from Edufield are 3 amazons AWS + another unknown (whois IP). Launch started at 3h54 am.

Edufield said the github version was not updated, nobody could compile and only Edufield was able to mine until that time. It is 5.09 am and Edufield instamined alone 1153 block at 500 DRK + 60 block at reward 277 = 593120 DRK for him alone in about 1 hour.

No windows wallet confirmed at 5h47 am, despite a user attempt to make one avaiable, that Edufield dismissed quickly.

From this list of nodes, at 8h34 am (4h40 after launch) there were 50 Amazon AWS node and 50 microsoft cloud computing instamining DRK (checked using IP whois service). This is 100/124 nodes using cloud computing to instamine DRK. We are at block 2870 and block reward is 500. From block 1153-1729 block reward is 277. After that it is 500 again hence 2294 block at 500 + 576 at 277 = 1306552 DRK (worth about 13M$ now) were instamined in less than 5 hour by Edufield and coworkers using about 100 cloud mining instances. Edufield himself instamined in not even 5 h from 600K to 1169K DRK ((1306K-600K)*100/124 + 600K) depending how many of the 100 cloud mining instance were its own. All this while having purposefully set the difficult ridiculously low and block reward 100 times what it is now.

2. Instamined harder than any other coin out there  12.5% of the current minting was mined in the first day

3. Later they decided to cut the minting by 75% to turn their 12.5% instamine with no windows QT into 50% instamine in 24hours - nice hey

yes that is correct they mined 50% of all the coins available at this time by themselves in the first 24 hours whilst windows users could not mine.

That is the facts.... doesn't matter what else they say... nothing can change what they have done.

Once zero coin, or bytecoin with a decent wallet it released or another darkcoin clone is released.... dark coin will sink like a stone.

Every time they try to spam their coin just post this to remind them of the facts about their coin.

noob fools saying i think it is nice people mining early get more coins...lol you silly noobs.

you would all be crying when a coin comes out with no wallet and a HUGE HUGE HUGE % of minting is mined in 24hours that you will never have a chance at you silly people.

the more they try to justify or excuse it the more people get to read about the scam..............

in the end they will accept it is best to shut up about it and hope people forget.

So I take it you can't define "few" and can't prove how many miners there actually were.
illodin

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 10:20:13 PM

That has nothing to do with regulating the initial distribution of a digital currency. Evan was fully within his rights to determine how Dash would be distributed, and furthermore, make changes in the future. He could have premined it 100% and sold the coins for $1000 a piece, and it still wouldn't be illegal. It's obvious that you're grasping at straws.

And, ANYONE can make any changes to the code (including emission adjustments), it's up to the miners and peers to download and agree to the code change.
Prosperityforall

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 10:23:35 PM

And, ANYONE can make any changes to the code (including emission adjustments), it's up to the miners and peers to download and agree to the code change.

You realize that Dash at that time, was closed-source. The only one who could have made changes to the code was the developer(Evan Duffield). Couple that with the fact that he was able to mine so many Dash(We can also infer that his hashpower would have been high during that time), and he should have been more than able to implement any changes in the code and get it accepted by himself alone.
illodin

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 10:25:43 PM

Ok now it insta crashes when I type "setgenerate true".

Time to go to bed and try again next week?

Yeah, let's do that. I obviously need to do some more testing. Thanks everyone!

Best thing to do I guess. Please, confirm you won't be launching after some minutes/hours even if you fix it, and the sooner would be tomorrow, thanks.

Definitely not. I'll also follow up with this post when I do set a time.

Evan thought that finding and fixing the bug would take a long time, and would be ready for a new launch the next day the earliest.

No, he said "testing", which inherently takes time and can't be a "quick fix":

I obviously need to do some more testing

Well, he was a one man developer "team" so his perception of "testing" back then was probably different than what it is now. For him, back then, it could've just simply meant that he verifies that it complies ok, and when started up stays up at least 2 minutes.
Prosperityforall

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 10:26:37 PM

It's not Subjective.

One of the following:

Vote!

2. Instamined harder than any other coin out there  12.5% of the current minting was mined in the first day

1.  The block reward was 500 every couple seconds at launch!  Not 20 or 50 coins every 2.5 minutes as listed.  There was also no windows wallet so only linux users could mine.  This allowed about 1.7-2 million Darkcoins to be instamined in the first 24hours.  Representing about 50% OF ALL DARKCOINS CURRENTLY IN EXISTENCE!!!  All mined in the first 24hours by just a few wallets.  Then the rules were changed increasing the block time to 2.5 minutes and eliminating the 500 block reward, (but only after the instaminers had claimed 2 million or so coins first.)

2.  Today many of those day 1 instamined coins have already been sold and right now approx 24% of all Darkcoins are held in just 10 wallets.  This could be 10 people or it could be simply Evan with 10 different wallets.

3.  My opinion is that it is unfair and unfortunate that this occurred and IMO it represents a very real risk to Darkcoin in that there is an opening for a good dev to make an Identical X11 coin that has all the attributes of Darkcoin, plus a few more features, and have a truly fair and equitable launch.  The instamining will continue to be brought up as it currently represents about a 10% premine given the Dev recently reduced the total coins that will ever be in existence to around 22million!

1.  The block reward was 500 every couple seconds at launch!  Not 20 or 50 coins every 2.5 minutes as listed.  There was also no windows wallet so only linux users could mine.  This allowed about 1.7-2 million Darkcoins to be instamined in the first 24hours.  Representing about 50% OF ALL DARKCOINS CURRENTLY IN EXISTENCE!!!  All mined in the first 24hours by just a few wallets.  Then the rules were changed increasing the block time to 2.5 minutes and eliminating the 500 block reward, (but only after the instaminers had claimed 2 million or so coins first.)

2.  Today many of those day 1 instamined coins have already been sold and right now approx 24% of all Darkcoins are held in just 10 wallets.  This could be 10 people or it could be simply Evan with 10 different wallets.

3.  My opinion is that it is unfair and unfortunate that this occurred and IMO it represents a very real risk to Darkcoin in that there is an opening for a good dev to make an Identical X11 coin that has all the attributes of Darkcoin, plus a few more features, and have a truly fair and equitable launch.  The instamining will continue to be brought up as it currently represents about a 10% premine given the Dev recently reduced the total coins that will ever be in existence to around 22million!

So I take it you can't define "few" and can't prove how many miners there actually were.

I take it that you can't read. The information shown shows that Evan instamined roughly half of the Dash that was emitted during that time, and there were at most 100 other 'miners' using services such as amazon and microsoft. That's comparable to NXT's distribution of just avg '70' people. So yes, very few people mined during that time and I highly doubt each ec2 was a different person(I'm betting many of them were owned by Evan and co).
illodin

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 10:28:30 PM

You realize that Dash at that time, was closed-source. The only one who could have made changes to the code was the developer(Evan Duffield).

No, I don't realize that. Is that the accuracy you do your "investigations" irl as well?
Prosperityforall

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 10:30:31 PM

You realize that Dash at that time, was closed-source. The only one who could have made changes to the code was the developer(Evan Duffield). Couple that with the fact that he was able to mine so many Dash(We can also infer that his hashpower would have been high during that time), and he should have been more than able to implement any changes in the code and get it accepted by himself alone.
[/i]

No, I don't realize that. Is that the accuracy you do your "investigations" irl as well?

Are you trying to dispute the fact that Dash was closed-source? If you have no idea what happened, then do not continue to post here as you're wasting my time. I also added more.
Prosperityforall

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 10:34:14 PM

Having an unregistered IPO in the USA is Illegal if that's what you're referring to and him being the sold developer would have made Dash a centralized currency(And up to the full force of the law, especially since he promised ROI on masternodes). It's probably best that you go inform yourself of the various laws concerning securities, at least in the U.S.
illodin

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 10:36:15 PM

I take it that you can't read. The information shown shows that Evan instamined roughly half of the Dash that was emitted during that time, and there were at most 100 other 'miners' using services such as amazon and microsoft. That's comparable to NXT's distribution of just avg '70' people. So yes, very few people mined during that time and I highly doubt each ec2 was a different person(I'm betting many of them were owned by Evan and co).

I didn't read the whole wall of text, just randomly clicked a link that said "nobody could compile". The proof of the claim was a link to a post, but the very next post was the guy admitting it was his own fault he couldn't compile, not Evan's:

Yeah, my bad, I botched the layover of the makefile on the update.

If the rest of the "proof" is as solid, it's not worth it to read further.
Brilliantrocket

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 10:37:18 PM

Having an unregistered IPO in the USA is Illegal if that's what you're referring to. It's probably best that you go inform yourself of the various laws concerning securities, at least in the U.S.
That's nice, but rather irrelevant, considering that cryptocurrencies are not securities under federal law.
Prosperityforall

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 10:37:58 PM

I didn't read the whole wall of text, just randomly clicked a link that said "nobody could compile". The proof of the claim was a link to a post, but the very next post was the guy admitting it was his own fault he couldn't compile, not Evan's:

Yeah, my bad, I botched the layover of the makefile on the update.

If the rest of the "proof" is as solid, it's not worth it to read further.

Ok, so you didn't read the whole text yet you have the audacity to continue cluelessly arguing here?  Please, get lost troll.

Read this:
"https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg4595573#msg4595573

Edufield is nominee for the Master Scammer 2014 award!"
Prosperityforall

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 10:39:41 PM

Having an unregistered IPO in the USA is Illegal if that's what you're referring to. It's probably best that you go inform yourself of the various laws concerning securities, at least in the U.S.
That's nice, but rather irrelevant, considering that cryptocurrencies are not securities under federal law.

Again, go read the laws concerning these matters before continuing to argue on a baseless foundation. Evan Duffield has been the main, sole developer of Dash no matter how long or how brief. Vertoe has stated that Dash is centralized. A cryptocurrency needs to meet two criteria to be defined as decentralized, Dash only met/meets one.

A final type of convertible virtual currency activity involves a de-centralized convertible virtual currency (1) that has no central repository and no single administrator, and (2) that persons may obtain by their own computing or manufacturing effort.

A person that creates units of this convertible virtual currency and uses it to purchase real or virtual goods and services is a user of the convertible virtual currency and not subject to regulation as a money transmitter. By contrast, a person that creates units of convertible virtual currency and sells those units to another person for real currency or its equivalent is engaged in transmission to another location and is a money transmitter. In addition, a person is an exchanger and a money transmitter if the person accepts such de-centralized convertible virtual currency from one person and transmits it to another person as part of the acceptance and transfer of currency, funds, or other value that substitutes for currency.

Providers and Sellers of Prepaid Access
Brilliantrocket

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 10:44:32 PM

Again, go read the laws concerning these matters before continuing to argue on a baseless foundation. Evan Duffield has been the main, sole developer of Dash no matter how long or how brief. Vertoe has stated that Dash is centralized. A cryptocurrency needs to meet two criteria to be defined as decentralized, Dash only met/meets one.

Oh, Vertoe said it, case closed in that case. Disgruntled ex-team members never lie or misrepresent, so we know this must be true. Evan may be the main developer, but to say he is the sole developer is an outright lie. Troll harder.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  

Jump to: