Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:40:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... 328 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] SpreadCoin | Decentralize Everything (decentralized blockexplorer coming)  (Read 790354 times)
e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2015, 11:04:00 AM

^^^Leave it with you to decide  Smiley
Ok, I'll leave it out for setting up a node, but i'll include the extra step when I do the servicenode* tutorial.

I keep accidentially saying masternode...   Tongue

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 11:48:53 AM
Last edit: May 12, 2015, 12:30:58 PM by coins101

Be your own payment processor:

"Mycelium’s hope is that Gear will encourage even more merchants to adopt Bitcoin and completely change the way merchant transactions are done, thus continuing our goal of decentralizing everything, improving privacy, and eliminating unnecessary third parties in the Bitcoin economy."

http://cointelegraph.com/news/114225/coinbase-who-process-your-own-bitcoin-payments-with-mycelium-gear

"Server hardware is needed to run the software. Mycelium is offering free space on their servers for novice merchants, and they expect that advanced merchants will run the Gear core software themselves."

Given their desire to decentralize everything, but then they use their own servers to charge for premium use, it sounds like another app for ServiceNodes has arrived  Grin
CHAOSiTEC
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 01:39:53 PM

+1 I don't want to be the annoying update heckler but I'd love to hear an update on progress and intended next milestones  Smiley

well, im working on getting the wallet up to bitcoin core level, but its takes time, besides, my job is at sea so the only time i can really do some work is when im home ... but making slow progress :-)

added todo file to the spreadcoin core update process on github

Its hard to code in bad weather

yep!

node-vps.com - Tron / Masternode hosting services
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 08:23:22 PM

The Blocknet, for those who aren't aware, is a network of different coin's blockchains, allowing each coin to use the Blocknet's other coins and features easily by sending the transaction through the Blocknet's Xbridge technology.

Quote from: comments
....the lead dev, Dan Metcalf was one of the first to show his identity in the early race to ANON with Xcurrency

http://cointelegraph.com/news/114228/blocknet-adding-ethereum-to-suite-of-supported-currencies

How to run a well orchestrated long-term scam.
LucD88

Activity: 525
Merit: 510

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 09:16:51 PM

What's the minimum amount of SPR needed to start a MN?

Nothing 100% agreed yet.

Proposals are around 100 SPR, at the moment, but that just gets you started.
Alright thank you. How does it work exactly? The more SPR I have in my MN, the higher the reward or?
bump
e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Activity: 1526

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 12:45:13 AM

Nothing 100% agreed yet.

Alright thank you. How does it work exactly? The more SPR I have in my MN, the higher the reward or?
bump
I don't think "the more spr you have, the higher payout you'll get" because that would remove the competition from the servicenode wars. Smiley

I think everyone will just get 30% of the blockreward.
defunctec
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 06:50:55 AM

Nothing 100% agreed yet.

bump

Ok, so there's going to be a masternode/servicenode network.
To participate your going to need over 100 SPR with 50 confirmations in your servicenode.

The more SPR you have in your servicenode the better score you receive on the "list".
The "list" or "spread" is a total amount of servicenode's allowed on the network at any one time.

This will change everyday as one new node is allowed on the "list".

Load up your nodes with as much SPR as you can, or else you may run the risk of losing a seat in the "spread".
Also try to dilute your holdings to achieve as many SPR servicenodes as possable.
georgem (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 08:36:30 AM
Last edit: May 13, 2015, 09:09:15 AM by georgem

The more SPR you have in your servicenode the better score you receive on the "list".
The "list" or "spread" is a total amount of servicenode's allowed on the network at any one time.

This will change everyday as one new node is allowed on the "list".

Load up your nodes with as much SPR as you can, or else you may run the risk of losing a seat in the "spread".
Also try to dilute your holdings to achieve as many SPR servicenodes as possable.

No, the plan is that the amount of SPR will not influence your score at all.

It will merely allow you to participate.

Once you are in, the score will asses if you should be kicked out when doing a bad job.
(each service will be judged separately)

It is important to realize that those two things (SPR and score) are used for slightly different things:

1) SPR is used at the entrance (kinda like a registration process: who is allowed to enter?)
2) Score is used to police those who have already entered. (who should be kicked out for misbehaviour?)

It is a little bit confusing I admit, because 1) works also like 2), because 1) can have the same effect as "kicking you out"
(because it "keeps you out" and this can therefor be mistaken with a score), but 1) has priority over 2).
If 1) isn't true, 2) doesn't even come into play (for the particular servicenode).
So 1) is like a gatekeeper, while 2) is like a police.

Therefor, even if you have 1000000 SPR in your service, you can be kicked out for doing a bad job.
This is because your SPR doesn't influence the score you will receive.

(maybe look at it like this: it's like a club that demands a dress code.
But ofcourse the club will kick even the well dressed people out if they act up.
So how well you are dressed is irrelevant once you are in the club, it's only relevant when you are not in the club yet.
Plus: ofcourse if you suddenly take your clothes off while in the club they will ALSO kick you out, lol  Grin
But while in the club it doesn't matter if you are better dressed than all the other well dressed people!

Lol, what an example, but I think it works.)

stonehedge
Legendary

Activity: 1652

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 09:23:56 AM

You clearly have quite an exciting private life George  Cool

A simple question if I may?  If SPR will be providing decentralized services using service nodes, wouldn't it be the case that the more nodes that are active and performing well the better?  I love the idea of scoring based on QoS but if there is a hard coded limit to the maximum number of service nodes based on coin supply, doesn't that limit the distribution of the service node network?

Wouldn't it be better to have 1,000 good snodes running than 800 good snodes in terms of overall network health?
georgem (OP)
Legendary

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 10:39:42 AM
Last edit: May 13, 2015, 11:05:09 AM by georgem

You clearly have quite an exciting private life George  Cool

A simple question if I may?  If SPR will be providing decentralized services using service nodes, wouldn't it be the case that the more nodes that are active and performing well the better?  I love the idea of scoring based on QoS but if there is a hard coded limit to the maximum number of service nodes based on coin supply, doesn't that limit the distribution of the service node network?

Wouldn't it be better to have 1,000 good snodes running than 800 good snodes in terms of overall network health?

The amount of SNs won't be hardcoded, but it will be limited by the protocol.
It will follow a curve similar to coin supply.

Mr. Spread originally came up with the idea of a limited hardcoded amount of Masternodes, a fix number (1000 or 1440)
because from a decentralization standpoint it makes sense to expose servicenodes
to the same market forces that hashrate and currency value are exposed to too.

My idea goes a little further by allowing this limit to slowly increase over time
(which should lead to about 7000 servicenodes when we reach 100% coinsupply)

So, we will never see something like 10000 servicenodes, but I don't think that Dash will see 10000 Masternodes either, and they don't even have a limit.
(That's just the nature of it: they do have a theoretical limit ofcourse, which is total coinsupply / 1000 ----> it is not possible to have more than 20000 Masternodes in DASH)

So having a few thousand servicenodes seems to be a very reasonable number.

Also, tell me any other service worldwide, google, youtube whatever... and how many servers they need to run a successful service for millions of people?

I doubt that youtube has 7000 servers, but I could be wrong.  Smiley
Google certainly has that: http://www.google.com/about/datacenters/gallery/#/all/20
lol

stonehedge
Legendary

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 11:06:48 AM

I think Dash predicted/guessed that masternode numbers would stabilise at around the 3,000 mark due to market forces.  It turned out to be not a bad guess.  I think they're around 2,600 and slowly growing at the moment.

If anybody has half an hour to spare, here's a presentation on how Youtube is provisioned.  Google Bigtable is rad.

https://sites.google.com/site/poweredbyyoutube/Home/powered-by-youtube---youtubes-infrastructure
georgem (OP)
Legendary

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 11:25:40 AM

I think Dash predicted/guessed that masternode numbers would stabilise at around the 3,000 mark due to market forces.  It turned out to be not a bad guess.  I think they're around 2,600 and slowly growing at the moment.

If anybody has half an hour to spare, here's a presentation on how Youtube is provisioned.  Google Bigtable is rad.

https://sites.google.com/site/poweredbyyoutube/Home/powered-by-youtube---youtubes-infrastructure

I watched this presentation a little bit, and was impressed, until I realized that it is from 2008.
Which is the scariest thing about this, because today the technological requirements for youtube must be 10 - 100 x bigger.

stonehedge
Legendary

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 11:39:03 AM

They still use Bigtable for most of the Google Apps but I assume it has come a long way since 2008.

I read that only 8 people are employed to manage Youtube at an operational level.
stonehedge
Legendary

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 02:56:58 PM

Spreadcoin Project Update #1

Given that it has been several weeks since the new ANN thread I thought I would summarise the current position of the project for the benefit of those who don't fancy reading 25 pages of discussion!

As many of you know, Spreadcoin was originally launched as a Darkcoin fork (with a lot of code modification, particularly around how masternodes work) by another Lead Dev called Mr Spread.  Mr Spread went AWOL at the beginning of the year and appears to have sold some if not all of his coins and is no longer in contact with anybody that we are aware of.

Georgem has since taken over as lead developer on the project (with an honorary vacant position in recognition of Mr Spread's work).  The Spreadcoin project has now taken a different form with a view to using service nodes to provide completely decentralised applications and services. The use cases for this model are numerous, with some being simple and some being complex.

With the above preamble in mind, here are some bullet points for easy consumption Smiley

• Georgem is currently working around the clock to scrutinise the original code as left by Mr Spread and to complete preparations for testnet testing of service nodes.  There is a lot of work to be done and it takes time to interprete another developer's code.  Georgem is working full time on this.

• Chaositec is leading efforts towards the significant amount of work required to update Spreadcoin to use the lastest Bitcoin Core code.  The benefits to this are numerous and best described by a developer rather than a Communications minion like myself  Wink

• Community members have begun research into possible services and applications that could be provided by the service nodes.  Some of these concepts are extremely exciting and several have never been seen in the Crypto scene before.  As the possible ideas are separated from the impossible ones, they will be thrown open to the SPR community for discussion. 

One of the most discussed concepts at the moment is using the service node network to incentivise people to run full Bitcoin Nodes in the form of a symbiotic relationship.  We hope to be introducing some very exciting concepts to the SPR community very soon.

• Finally, I am just about to start a piece of work defining how best to ensure that the SPR community are kept up to date with progress, problems, successes, delays and plans etc. As a community, we all have different skills and experiences and to succeed we will need to draw upon those and communicate efficiently.  We also have numerous tools at our disposal and must choose which ones we use wisely.  Please watch this space.

In the meantime, while Georgem and Chaositec push on with their sizeable challenges and the other core team members work on their service model proposals, I hope to post fairly regular updates to this thread even if only to prove that I can type for a very long time about not very much  Wink

- Dan / Stonehedge

Erkallys
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 04:07:49 PM

Given that it has been several weeks since the new ANN thread I thought I would summarise the current position of the project for the benefit of those who don't fancy reading 25 pages of discussion!

As many of you know, Spreadcoin was originally launched as a Darkcoin fork (with a lot of code modification, particularly around how masternodes work) by another Lead Dev called Mr Spread.  Mr Spread went AWOL at the beginning of the year and appears to have sold some if not all of his coins and is no longer in contact with anybody that we are aware of.

Georgem has since taken over as lead developer on the project (with an honorary vacant position in recognition of Mr Spread's work).  The Spreadcoin project has now taken a different form with a view to using service nodes to provide completely decentralised applications and services. The use cases for this model are numerous, with some being simple and some being complex.

With the above preamble in mind, here are some bullet points for easy consumption Smiley

• Georgem is currently working around the clock to scrutinise the original code as left by Mr Spread and to complete preparations for testnet testing of service nodes.  There is a lot of work to be done and it takes time to interprete another developer's code.  Georgem is working full time on this.

• Chaositec is leading efforts towards the significant amount of work required to update Spreadcoin to use the lastest Bitcoin Core code.  The benefits to this are numerous and best described by a developer rather than a Communications minion like myself  Wink

• Community members have begun research into possible services and applications that could be provided by the service nodes.  Some of these concepts are extremely exciting and several have never been seen in the Crypto scene before.  As the possible ideas are separated from the impossible ones, they will be thrown open to the SPR community for discussion. 

One of the most discussed concepts at the moment is using the service node network to incentivise people to run full Bitcoin Nodes in the form of a symbiotic relationship.  We hope to be introducing some very exciting concepts to the SPR community very soon.

• Finally, I am just about to start a piece of work defining how best to ensure that the SPR community are kept up to date with progress, problems, successes, delays and plans etc. As a community, we all have different skills and experiences and to succeed we will need to draw upon those and communicate efficiently.  We also have numerous tools at our disposal and must choose which ones we use wisely.  Please watch this space.

In the meantime, while Georgem and Chaositec push on with their sizeable challenges and the other core team members work on their service model proposals, I hope to post fairly regular updates to this thread even if only to prove that I can type for a very long time about not very much  Wink

- Dan / Stonehedge

Nice words ! You're the bests ! Keep working so goodly  Smiley !
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 06:53:39 PM
Last edit: May 13, 2015, 07:12:57 PM by coins101

As many of you know, Spreadcoin was originally launched as a Darkcoin fork (with a lot of code modification, particularly around how masternodes work) by another Lead Dev called Mr Spread.  Mr Spread went AWOL at the beginning of the year and appears to have sold some if not all of his coins and is no longer in contact with anybody that we are aware of.

Georgem has since taken over as lead developer on the project (with an honorary vacant position in recognition of Mr Spread's work).  The Spreadcoin project has now taken a different form with a view to using service nodes to provide completely decentralised applications and services. The use cases for this model are numerous, with some being simple and some being complex.

• Georgem is currently working around the clock to scrutinise the original code as left by Mr Spread and to complete preparations for testnet testing of service nodes.  There is a lot of work to be done and it takes time to interprete another developer's code.  Georgem is working full time on this.

• Chaositec is leading efforts towards the significant amount of work required to update Spreadcoin to use the lastest Bitcoin Core code.  The benefits to this are numerous and best described by a developer rather than a Communications minion like myself  Wink

• Community members have begun research into possible services and applications that could be provided by the service nodes.  Some of these concepts are extremely exciting and several have never been seen in the Crypto scene before.  As the possible ideas are separated from the impossible ones, they will be thrown open to the SPR community for discussion.  

One of the most discussed concepts at the moment is using the service node network to incentivise people to run full Bitcoin Nodes in the form of a symbiotic relationship.  We hope to be introducing some very exciting concepts to the SPR community very soon.

• Finally, I am just about to start a piece of work defining how best to ensure that the SPR community are kept up to date with progress, problems, successes, delays and plans etc. As a community, we all have different skills and experiences and to succeed we will need to draw upon those and communicate efficiently.  We also have numerous tools at our disposal and must choose which ones we use wisely.  Please watch this space.

In the meantime, while Georgem and Chaositec push on with their sizeable challenges and the other core team members work on their service model proposals, I hope to post fairly regular updates to this thread even if only to prove that I can type for a very long time about not very much  Wink

- Dan / Stonehedge

Thanks for an good excellent update.

Very well articulated.
popshot

Activity: 774
Merit: 554

CEO Diamond Foundation

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 08:20:51 PM

- Dan / Stonehedge

Great stuff guys, keep up excellent work!

cryptocrap

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 08:48:52 PM

Awesome, I picked up some 2 weeks ago, so happy  Cheesy
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 09:19:49 PM
Last edit: May 13, 2015, 09:52:48 PM by coins101

Anyone used this service before?

I'd be up for asking them to add SPR

I've been in hibernation for a few years.

Who the f*** are usecryptos?

appearently a wallet and trading platform for virtual currencies
https://usecryptos.com/

i vagueally remember this came also up a few pages ago ? people asking if people knew it..
Its a bit weird to see our largest Dash volume 24h there (44%).
Cryptsy has 25.6% of Dash volume 24h currently.

http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/dash/#markets

This has happened occassionally in the past, I think is because they support SEPA so if someone from Europe wants to buy Dash that is an easy way to do it directly with cash, normally when the buyers are done their volume goes down. It would be cool to see their volume stay because it means more direct FIAT/DASH trading.

edit

He's here, lol

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=487854.0
stonehedge
Legendary

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 06:20:53 AM

Bittylicious might consider adding us when he have a bit more volume.

Just another exciting day in Spreadland  Grin
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... 328 »
  Print  

Jump to: