Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 10:24:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 328 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] SpreadCoin | Decentralize Everything (decentralized blockexplorer coming)  (Read 790356 times)
georgem (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 06:28:56 PM

Lol, I just tried to teach myself how to compile the windows QT and rushed it a bit.  I'm making myself a gin!

I found building on linux to be the easiest,
building on mac just a little bit more difficult,
but building on windows by far the most inconvenient.  Grin

But don't give up, you'll be making yourself a lot of gins until you figure it out eventually.

coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 06:32:55 PM

He's back (sorry)
stonehedge
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1002

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 06:33:04 PM
Last edit: May 15, 2015, 06:46:37 PM by stonehedge

Lol, I just tried to teach myself how to compile the windows QT and rushed it a bit.  I'm making myself a gin!

I found building on linux to be the easiest,
building on mac just a little bit more difficult,
but building on windows by far the most inconvenient.  Grin

But don't give up, you'll be making yourself a lot of gins until you figure it out eventually.

I'm determined to learn.  Believe it or not I used to work as a programmer right at the beginning of my IT career.  I was pretty awful at it and I trained in Java so it was relatively easy to compile.  Great days though...decent language, brilliantly portable but not there was not the hardware to support decent performance.  Slow as anything back then.  
stonehedge
Legendary

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 06:35:39 PM

I'm going to dual boot my PC with Linux when I have some time to do it.  Should make things a little easier...
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 08:32:45 PM
Last edit: May 15, 2015, 08:43:28 PM by coins101

Roadmap:

• Since Mr. Spread went AWOL, we are going through a considerable phase of preparation work to get the project back on track and ready for progression.
  • Work has begun to port the wallet to the latest Bitcoin Core.
  • Community members have begun research into potential services that the service nodes can provide (the most discussed idea being incentivising Bitcoin Nodes).

Just noticed, this ^

I suppose there is no reason why we can't now discuss a couple of the things being looked at, over and above Bitcoin nodes, and escrow services as identified by the survey of use cases?
georgem (OP)
Legendary

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 09:10:17 PM

Roadmap:

• Since Mr. Spread went AWOL, we are going through a considerable phase of preparation work to get the project back on track and ready for progression.
  • Work has begun to port the wallet to the latest Bitcoin Core.
  • Community members have begun research into potential services that the service nodes can provide (the most discussed idea being incentivising Bitcoin Nodes).

Just noticed, this ^

I suppose there is no reason why we can't now discuss a couple of the things being looked at, over and above Bitcoin nodes, and escrow services as identified by the survey of use cases?

Certainly,
the earlier we start fleshing out ideas the better.
Brainstorming should be a constant process.

So, if you had to summarize the results of the survey you did, what would you say was the gist of it?
Escrow and Crowdfunding?

or what would be the thing that interests you most

coins101
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 09:20:28 PM

.....Certainly,
the earlier we start fleshing out ideas the better.
Brainstorming should be a constant process.

So, if you had to summarize the results of the survey you did, what would you say was the gist of it?
Escrow and Crowdfunding?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=976031.msg10656234#msg10656234

1. Well, the automated escrow solution was by far the most voted for.

2. Torrent service was next (I like this one, but I have an observers stake in another project that is running ahead with this idea but without mansternodes - which might mean SPR could benefit from that work but take it in another direction with ServiceNodes).

3. Some form of p2p betting services

The one that some of us really like isn't on the survey >>> I'll wait for Stonehedge to post on that because he is still working on some stuff behind the scenes.
e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 11:43:32 PM

I was interested, but the project has no direction and no plans. By the time they figure out what they are doing other coins will be light years ahead of it.
This is what some people think about Spreadcoin.
Is this a valid comment?
e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2015, 12:48:01 AM

Can someone please add me as a node. I have 0 connections (after I reset my VPS) and I used to have 60.

Thanks.

Edit: Okay, in the time it took me to write that, I got a connection.
entropycoin

Activity: 171
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 06:20:43 AM

I was interested, but the project has no direction and no plans. By the time they figure out what they are doing other coins will be light years ahead of it.
Is this a valid comment?

well, considering there is clear direction (semblance of an organized management structure with georgem spearheading the campaign and other members providing development assistance) and plans for servicenode implementation, no I do not think this is a valid criticism  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

DRK: Xi2c97ZMtfU2nMeJkY1kD1Ry3tmRnnQfHP
ocminer
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 1240

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2015, 07:02:27 AM

Is this a valid comment?

well, considering there is clear direction (semblance of an organized management structure with georgem spearheading the campaign and other members providing development assistance) and plans for servicenode implementation, no I do not think this is a valid criticism  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

"they" do not want help/assistance. There are 1-2 good and competent members in the team, but the rest is pretty "stall" and illusionary... For example they added my SPR pool as node, but still reject changing the topic from "No pools" to "with pools" or at least remove that no pools statement etc.. 

If you want to get a coin / project going - its 90% about team-work if its open source...

suprnova pools - reliable mining pools - #suprnova on freenet
https://www.suprnova.cc - FOLLOW us @ Twitter ! twitter.com/SuprnovaPools
stonehedge
Legendary

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 08:33:51 AM

Is this a valid comment?

"they" do not want help/assistance. There are 1-2 good and competent members in the team, but the rest is pretty "stall" and illusionary... For example they added my SPR pool as node, but still reject changing the topic from "No pools" to "with pools" or at least remove that no pools statement etc.. 

If you want to get a coin / project going - its 90% about team-work if its open source...

Hey OC,

As we discussed before I personally support you in the fact the wording around pools needs to be changed. The thing is that Georgem and team are going through an intense phase of preparation work in order to fully understand and prepare the code that Mr Spread left behind for the future and me discussing this with georgem has been lost in the list of things to do.

There is a huge amount going on with SPR at the moment and a lot of teamwork and collaboration going on behind the scenes. In some ways it might have been better to wait a few weeks before starting a new ANN thread but then again brilliant discussions about the future of SPR were happening on a thread that we had no control over.

I also agree that the plan for SPR is vague right now however once the devs are ready, a plan and updated first post will happen combined with a proper community newsletter.

To say that we dont want help and assistance is a little disingenuous although I also understand your concern has seemingly been dismissed. I can assure you that I've not forgotten to push your point forwards.

Finally, from my perspective in a business development role I am unable to contribute to any announcements or roadmaps because all of my discussions are commercially sensitive until agreed by all parties.

Dan

stonehedge
Legendary

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 08:42:57 AM
Last edit: May 16, 2015, 08:58:19 AM by stonehedge

Is this a valid comment?

well, considering there is clear direction (semblance of an organized management structure with georgem spearheading the campaign and other members providing development assistance) and plans for servicenode implementation, no I do not think this is a valid criticism  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Maybe we're missing something here.

Where does it mention in the ANN about service nodes and decentralized app/service provision?

It should include some use cases as examples imo.

EDIT:  The work I'm doing around communication and engagement can be published when its ready.  As can the news from my other workstreams as and when we get some.

I think we're falling into the trap of being so busy that we have a clear view in our minds but not doing enough to tell people about it.  If ok with people I'll start looking at where the gaps are this weekend.
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 09:47:25 AM

Compared to some start-ups I've seen, this one is moving at a pretty decent rate.

The typical start-up process usually involves months or years of chasing funds before they can get started with writing a single piece of code.

Anyway, this is the skeleton of the financial plan for servicenodes income:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ov0YKQwPzqgkLarfvXWvugzQ3dne3gtkW7-5MV2kHk4/edit#gid=0

I have taken out some details, for now.

What we can see is that as services are added the overall network income grows, as does the amount that can go to core development.

As discussed previously, businesses can form around these services. Which means investors can invest in those businesses, without having to buy a single SPR if they don't want to.

It also means we can create packaged up business units and sell them on a franchise model. This helps ordinary Joe public that just wants to get going and doesn't want to think about creating documentation or risking funds on a start-up with an unproven product - they just want a turn-key business.

Franchising is one of the biggest business drivers in the USA.

All this is enabled by the nature of ServiceNodes and building Blockchain Based Businesses (B3).

So, I'd say we actually do have a plan, a team that can deliver it and a desire to profit from it.

The question isn't does SPR have a plan. The question is do you have a better plan or do you follow a project with a better plan?

stonehedge
Legendary

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 09:57:39 AM

Great post.

EDIT:  I look forward to announcing "Service TBA" as and when we are in the position to do so  Cool
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 10:11:45 AM

I would be keen to know how much of the block rewards are going to be allocated, if any, to nodes.

I'm sure this is up for discussion and will need to be tackled at some point.

The current financial plan is self-sustaining once income is generated by the services. So we could start with some incentives, keep them going forever or direct them elsewhere at some point: more marketing, internet infrastructure for Africa, political campaigns, etc.
CHAOSiTEC
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 10:19:06 AM

Sometimes its the chicken and egg problem, because if some people do not see up front results, they dismiss it and move on, while results tend to take time to manifest themselves.

right now we need to get the basic systems up and running, we cannot show something which is not finished.

so basically the overall gameplan is more or less, get servicenodes up and running, get moved over to core sourcecode.

servicesnodes are going to be the infrastructure needed for anything we want to do,

and core is going to help making things more modular and secure at the same time.

combined, we would end up with at good foundation to grow on.

i get back home tuesday, and that means more time i can dedicate to moving spreadcoin over to core, while georgem works on getting servicenode up and running..

when both these tasks have been completed, we will merge those 2, and then can we start having some decend stuff build on top and move faster ahead...

node-vps.com - Tron / Masternode hosting services
stonehedge
Legendary

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 10:29:53 AM

Sometimes its the chicken and egg problem, because if some people do not see up front results, they dismiss it and move on, while results tend to take time to manifest themselves.

right now we need to get the basic systems up and running, we cannot show something which is not finished.

so basically the overall gameplan is more or less, get servicenodes up and running, get moved over to core sourcecode.

servicesnodes are going to be the infrastructure needed for anything we want to do,

and core is going to help making things more modular and secure at the same time.

i get back home tuesday, and that means more time i can dedicate to moving spreadcoin over to core, while georgem works on getting servicenode up and running..

when both these tasks have been completed, we will merge those 2, and then can we start having some decend stuff build on top and move faster ahead...

Exactly and while you chaps work hard on delivering a platform we can build on, the rest of us can work on the next steps  Smiley
georgem (OP)
Legendary

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2015, 11:48:53 AM

I asked for full spreadcoin nodes, I added you because you happen to run a full spreadcoin node.
Everything else is conjecture.

georgem (OP)
Legendary

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2015, 12:03:04 PM
Last edit: May 16, 2015, 03:50:17 PM by georgem

I agree that it's a chicken and egg problem, but not only in the way you mentioned.
There is yet another chicken and egg problem embedded within the servicenodes concept itself:

We can't have servicenodes without services, and without services it doesn't make sense to run a servicenode. Scoring and Voting won't function.
That's what takes so much time, because I can't just bring "empty" servicenodes into existence, they need to come complete with atleast 1 service.
(the main candidate for this first service is running supervised bitcoin nodes.)

Additionally servicenodes need to be ready to allow expandability with new services (this has to be ready from the gitgo)
(And I mean just expandability and not necessarily modularity, because the main goal (for network strength) will always be to encourage every servicenode to run ALL services available
 ----> negative score for every service you can't run.)

So to my fellow devs and project members I say: Stay tuned.
To the impatient day traders I say: Chill out.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 328 »
  Print  

Jump to: