Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:32:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 [474] 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage  (Read 1382134 times)
ibrahim267

Activity: 69
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 11, 2019, 08:50:23 AM

I have much holding siacoin (sc)
any staking opportunity,/ mining or any reward  or any other opportunity  -I want to work with my holding amount of siacoin..
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MrSunshine

Activity: 1181
Merit: 259

View Profile
January 11, 2019, 06:53:23 PM

any staking opportunity,/ mining or any reward  or any other opportunity  -I want to work with my holding amount of siacoin..

Sure you can earn more SC in a few ways:

• By mining it
  • By being a SIA host and renting out your spare disk space.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
January 11, 2019, 08:01:01 PM

• By mining it

Last time I looked at the renting out spare disk space..it is at a 25% plus loss...buying used equip and hard drives..it is a NON starter

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
bryaneasysia

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2019, 08:58:25 PM

Just wanted to add that I have put up https://hyperspacewallet.com. This is a browser wallet so that you don't have to download and sync the official wallet. This is a great option for checking for your air drop, mobile phone, or even disposable wallets. No wallet data is stored.

If you use Siacoin I also have https://EasySia.com.
chup

Activity: 736
Merit: 262

Me, Myself & I

View Profile
January 12, 2019, 10:23:40 AM

• By mining it

Last time I looked at the renting out spare disk space..it is at a 25% plus loss...buying used equip and hard drives..it is a NON starter

Mind sharing Your calculation that leads to "25% loss"?

chup

Me, Myself & I

View Profile
January 12, 2019, 10:28:57 AM

Just wanted to add that I have put up https://hyperspacewallet.com. This is a browser wallet so that you don't have to download and sync the official wallet. This is a great option for checking for your air drop, mobile phone, or even disposable wallets. No wallet data is stored.

If you use Siacoin I also have https://EasySia.com.

Warning: Entering Your existing wallet seeds to anonymous online wallets is extreme danger for Your assets!  Undecided

Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
January 12, 2019, 11:08:34 PM

• By mining it

Mind sharing Your calculation that leads to "25% loss"?

I should have clarified those calculations were done when BTC was at 5.2k USD or so....back a bit

I suspect since the dump it has not done any better...I'd LOVE to be utterly wrong on this and build a rig

anyway, since the dump have not bothered to look at this again...also remember this was with USED equipment

really unsure of what it would be with new (even though I assume storage prices for HD's have likely? come down since that $5.2k price...I think it was when I did the calcs)

anyway, should have been more clear

The other thing is I hear very little on here on such storage rigs on this thread, you'd think if such rigs were making $$$

folk would be posting about it on the thread with encouragement...that is another concern of mine..such as it is.

As to the Siacoin Price...I SOLD my sia obelisk miners (5) for enough money just 'barely' by like 0.0125 over or so the BTC spent in 2017 over my

original investment......so I am calling that a WIN...in that they sat as 'doorstops' in the box for 1.5 months or some such ..till the siacoin fork...

this is with the 1.25 million siacoin I managed to mine...above and beyond that 'cover my ass on equipment' on the miners...I also am unclear how much/if any siacoin I will

keep and/or convert to BTC ...the miner money is in BTC along with the supposed compensation from sia-tech that is coming...too boot will be applied to above orig equip $$$ FYI.

so, broke even with miners sold 2 months ago or so....barely....now as to do with 1.25 million siacoin..above and beyond that Win...I'm unclear...that is above

and beyond my original equipment investment etc.

again, as I have said before...too much, IMHO, dubious 'silence' on the anonymous cloud storage solution sia-tech touts and of

course we know the issues with miners and/or siacoin price in this crypto bear market...anyway..it all makes me 'twitchy' indeed.

(not that I know what I'm talking about ..it is not like I sold enough crypto of any flavor when the bubble of price was high)  sigh... Sad

Feel free to 'chime' in here, those with siacoin storage setups...I'd love to be frigging wrong...bored I am ....no miners of not of any crypto flavor now in 2019.

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
chup

Me, Myself & I

View Profile
January 14, 2019, 08:36:10 AM

I should have clarified those calculations were done when BTC was at 5.2k USD or so....back a bit

I suspect since the dump it has not done any better...I'd LOVE to be utterly wrong on this and build a rig

anyway, since the dump have not bothered to look at this again...also remember this was with USED equipment

really unsure of what it would be with new (even though I assume storage prices for HD's have likely? come down since that $5.2k price...I think it was when I did the calcs)

Of course You should have been more clear. At least to show "calculation" with "25% loss" running SIA hosts.
Taking into account that SIA cloud storage is the feature distinguishing SIA from crypto crowd it is of great interest seeing such "calculation".
Especially when SIA team is assuming that professional data storage nodes would be the core of SIA storage cloud, not the average Joe with available free HDD space and sufficient internet bandwidth.
My opinion is opposite - SIA team could partner with HDD manufacturers and each OTC HDD would come with preinstalled SIA hosting software/wallet that customers could run if proper internet connection is available.
At this point of SIA wallet usability it is not possible, but decentralization is power crypto world should aim to.

Branko

Activity: 2464
Merit: 318

View Profile
January 14, 2019, 08:48:13 AM

Latest calculation I saw said 330 sia coins per terabyte per month...so ten 12TB disks
would give about 40 000 SCs per month, or about 93 USD (minus cost of running that setup)
BioMoh

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 14, 2019, 10:32:35 AM

https://sia.tech/roadmap
i cant see the roadmap there
what happened ?
Branko

Activity: 2464
Merit: 318

View Profile
January 14, 2019, 10:45:09 AM

https://sia.tech/roadmap
i cant see the roadmap there
what happened ?

Wrong link?

https://trello.com/b/Io1dDyuI/sia-feature-roadmap
BioMoh

View Profile
January 14, 2019, 05:05:35 PM

what is the next major event and when ?
i cant get it from road map
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
January 14, 2019, 08:50:25 PM

Of course You should have been more clear. At least to show "calculation" with "25% loss" running SIA hosts.
Taking into account that SIA cloud storage is the feature distinguishing SIA from crypto crowd it is of great interest seeing such "calculation".
Especially when SIA team is assuming that professional data storage nodes would be the core of SIA storage cloud, not the average Joe with available free HDD space and sufficient internet bandwidth.
My opinion is opposite - SIA team could partner with HDD manufacturers and each OTC HDD would come with preinstalled SIA hosting software/wallet that customers could run if proper internet connection is available.
At this point of SIA wallet usability it is not possible, but decentralization is power crypto world should aim to.

No matter the calcs..the decentralized part of the equation (small folk like me) that would wish to build a small box to explore this can't afford to...thus w/o such data halls and big guys coming into play...

what is the difference in centralization (like btc mining) vs decentralization as sia-techs goal. I assume it is their goal in that the keep making arrangements with small builds like minerbox and another one

recently I forget the name of. Thus, they seem to be kicking out a lot of equipment and if it is a 3 legged stool, the price of the coin, storage, and asic security..they are IMHO, really really behind on the decentralized

the storage aspect ..which should have been the first consideration IMHO, then ASIC's ...anyway...not a good trend to continue IMHO.....I mean they have just shipped 1-5 batches of ASIC equipment with no real

need for that much ASIC power on a network that is in no way up to par, again IMHO. Lastly, this is my assuming that all price of siacoin without any storage network that pays...is based on speculation..so

by all means....get more ASIC's out there driving difficulty up.. oops already happened...so as a strategy by sia-tech...I sure do understand the order of priority in the whole works

Bazzzil86

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2019, 08:02:48 AM

24 January 2019 (or earlier)
Siacoin (SC)
Goobox Alpha Release

https://tothemoon.live/?IsPast=False&Page=1&Month=0&Year=0&CoinTypes=Siacoin+%28SC%29&SortBy=0

who knows the correct date?
hush

Activity: 1288
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 19, 2019, 08:19:34 AM

24 January 2019 (or earlier)
Siacoin (SC)
Goobox Alpha Release

https://tothemoon.live/?IsPast=False&Page=1&Month=0&Year=0&CoinTypes=Siacoin+%28SC%29&SortBy=0

who knows the correct date?

https://blog.sia.tech/sia-community-update-december-2018-590885425bc7

If you read the source of this event than there is no hard date announced yet so they are showing estimated date for this.
WillJ7

Activity: 32
Merit: 4

View Profile
January 21, 2019, 08:29:30 PM

The SIA team does a fair amount of posting, including Mr. Vorick, over on Reddit.  There you will find recent posts where the SIA team acknowledges that the people hosting are doing so at a loss.  Interestingly, the defense of this is that loss is being "mitigated" by home users (not professional data storage nodes) renting out what would otherwise be "unused" space.  I'm not sure this makes much sense, but whatever.

That's what the SIA team has to say about this, not Brad, not myself.

Wander over and check for yourself:

https://www.reddit.com/r/siacoin/comments/a9pn53/why_is_sia_more_costeffective_than_amazon_s3/
BTCIR

Activity: 46

View Profile
January 21, 2019, 10:22:16 PM

Sia coin is one of the most favored project by traders.  It started big and dominated a fair portion of crypto related conversation in the space all the way to this day.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
January 23, 2019, 06:03:24 AM

The SIA team does a fair amount of posting, including Mr. Vorick, over on Reddit.  There you will find recent posts where the SIA team acknowledges that the people hosting are doing so at a loss.  Interestingly, the defense of this is that loss is being "mitigated" by home users (not professional data storage nodes) renting out what would otherwise be "unused" space.  I'm not sure this makes much sense, but whatever.

That's what the SIA team has to say about this, not Brad, not myself.

Wander over and check for yourself:

https://www.reddit.com/r/siacoin/comments/a9pn53/why_is_sia_more_costeffective_than_amazon_s3/

you have a fair point..but perhaps I am delusional in that I thought that you could make a miner box or siacoin storage option with used or new HD's and parts

and thus make more than electric with the said box-like mining (minerbox builds) (decentralized) if it is all now come down to the big data hall folk fighting down to

sia-tech level awarness of existence

and beating Amazon in pricing..er that too may be a stretch...but regardless I may be naive and such a box stopped being practical to make $$$ on when

the miner box was offered last year...perhaps I am that far behind the curve...and like other miner data hall cloud miners will fight this out and determine

the price of siacoin...my bad..if that is the case...

but then you get to the issue will 1) other data halls actually flee from Amazon for this sia network...corp world types that is....er....perhaps..but man

they'd better get some world class promotion going if the small minerbox builds like I thought was going on is no longer an option...that may be a tough

sell without the grass works small fry (as I expected) to pave the way (as was done with BTC mining back in the day...cheerleaders as it were)

so beat me up...likely I'm wrong on much of the above (i sure am confused on the long term planning of sia-tech/asic's and siacoin from these guys)

later

brad

BioMoh

View Profile
January 26, 2019, 12:11:21 AM

are we going to 5 sats again ?
arkawa040

Activity: 434

View Profile
January 30, 2019, 05:51:33 PM

Hello all guys-what news the coin in the near future? Are there prerequisites for great growth?. I understand that the whole market is in the hands of bears, but now many coins have come to life, and SC is at a local minimum.
Pages: « 1 ... 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 [474] 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 »
  Print  

Jump to: