Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 09:05:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 205 »
  Print  
Author Topic: What's your opinion of gun control?  (Read 450415 times)
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 04:05:25 AM
Last edit: June 25, 2015, 04:19:52 AM by the joint

Then why do you use your data anecdotally (sic)?
This sentence does not make sense. Please try again.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/anecdotally
"Based on casual observations or indications rather than rigorous or scientific analysis.

You try again.  For example:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1093806.msg11663882#msg11663882

What I said makes sense, e.g. when you make casual observations or indications on the data you have selected.  "Says it all," eh?  Yeah...no it doesn't.

Edit:  Data corresponds to a data set.  A scientific data set is purely observational information.  The data, such as that indicated in your loaded (no pun intended) infographic, is not the result of rigorous analysis -- only mere observation.  That data can then be subjected to rigorous analysis to arrive at some kind of conclusion.  I had quit engaging you because you were unwilling to do such a thing, but instead preferred to keep pasting more infographics as if they somehow mean something all by themselves.  They don't (at least not in a way that is relevant to forming a reasonable conclusion about gun control issues).
brendanjhwu

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 04:42:27 AM

IMO, people should be given the choice whether whey want to own a fire-arm or not. In places like Texas, where home invasions are very common, the possession of a fire-arm can save many lives. However, the government should make it impossible for people with a criminal record, and those with mental issues from obtaining fire-arms.

However, the government doesn't give people with mental issues firearms to begin with.
They get the gun, and then they become insane.

Also, people home invade not to kill people. They just want their shit.
In that case, not possessing a firearm will actually save a life... even if they're criminal.
brendanjhwu

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 04:43:17 AM

I just want to know if it is really necessary to keep guns?
Let's hope we don't start outlawing things unless we need them. America is a country filled to the brim whit stuff we do not need.

The greatest need is tied to our form of government, which requires us to fight and die against our own people if they become corrupt. That is a powerful statement and hard for us to understand. But the people who made this government knew that all of your rights are utterly meaningless without an armed populace. Look at our supposed rights to keep the government out of our lives. What is that worth now that we know that our government is spying on us with no regard for our privacy? And now the government wants our guns? As a law abiding citizen of the United States it my duty and responsibility to say NO.  
So why not keep your guns locked up in the range no need to take it home Cheesy
i bet shooting targets is really good fun so i have no problem with that..
just leave your guns at the range Grin Grin

more guns more deaths
 and as someone pointed out you have more chance of getting shot by someone you know than a stranger trying to rob you or invading your home
NO MORE WALKING AROUND LIKE JOHN WAYNE ITS OVER
YOUR GOVERNMENTS COMING TO GET YOUR GUNS  Wink Wink Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Shocked Shocked Shocked
1. why not keep your guns locked up in the range?

Because they are my guns. And they will do me little good when someone is breaking into my home with their guns.

2. more guns more deaths and as someone pointed out you have more chance of getting shot by someone you know than a stranger trying to rob you or invading your home

That is factually incorrect. I grew up in a place where EVERYONE had a gun. And I do mean every family in my neighborhood. Guess how many times we shot each other or accidentally shot someone? It's a silly thing to say you can't defend your life because you might do it wrong. I'll take my chances. Like a lot of shooters in the U.S. I have far more experience and gun knowledge than the cop who is going to show up after the fact.

When I moved to a large city with an outright ban on carrying firearms I was introduced to gun violence. I heard shots all the time. My neighbor across the street (a school principal) was shot through the neck on his front porch and died, my GF at the time faced two home invasions in 1 year, a guy I work with was shot in the stomach by a 13 year old boy on a bet! A home invasion at my place was foiled by my AK-47, and I saw someone shot in a nearby park. What is dangerous is not how many guns but when only some people have guns.

3.YOUR GOVERNMENTS COMING TO GET YOUR GUNS

Quite the opposite is true. I have more gun rights now than at any point in my life. I can buy more kinds of guns and accessories and I can carry in more places. I have gotten more gun rights here in Wisconsin even in the past week.

What liscenses do you have? Can you acquire a suppresor?
brendanjhwu

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 04:45:25 AM

I am a European.  I cannot understand why Americans want to have so many people owning guns.  I can see that yu want the freedom to do that, but I don't trust that everyone or even the majority of people can be trusted with a way to easily kill lots of people quickly.

In England people fight and there is knife crime, but generally you can pretty much run away from danger if someone goes crazy.  If someone comes with a semi-automatic weapon and starts spraying bullets around, I can run, but bullets are faster.

I wouldn't allow any hand guns, or automatic/semi-automatic weapons to be carried on the street or owned by anyone without serious assessment done in advance.  Americans will probably disagree, but I don't see these good guys with guns overwhelming the bad guys with guns, as good guys don't want to shoot people!

Surprisingly enough, I really don't see anyone concealed-carrying their handguns or open carrying their rifles on their back in the US. I've went to Florida, Michigan, NY, Ohio, Cali, Boston...
jayce
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 1506

Pie Baking Contest: https://tinyurl.com/2s3z6dee

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2015, 05:54:05 AM

You, obviously do not need protection, you can afford to pay for it. I am happy for you. A soldier is a civil servant. Just like some teachers. Teachers use a blackboard and slides. A soldier uses guns. I cannot send an army to a country if I am not commanding an army or ordered to do so by my commander in chef, my emperor, my ayatollah, my king or supreme leader. 
"We" can use a shift system. That's a noble thought. No one ever said a "protector" should work 24/7. If a "protector' exists then it is to protect you. From whom? A baseball bat is not a weapon. It was created to play in this game millions of people love called baseball. A baseball bat is meant to hit a ball, not a human skull. It is cruel to smash the head of a another human being with a baseball bat. You would need more than one swing to stop your assailant. Also for a woman it would have been unfair for her to use a baseball bat to try to smash a man's skull twice her size, with a gun in his hand ready to rape her...I don't know what you have done to your rich neighborhood or your exclusive society, cause you need a "protector" doing shifts to protect yours 24/7...

Actually I never said that I am living in rich neighborhood, it's just my assumption. I'm living in low crimes area, which we don't need any weapons to protect our house. And I said I'm agree in the case someone lived in dangerous area where many crimes has happened there. I put my previous post here
I agree if gun is legalized to society, but with the provision of we are living in crimes area which there are drug cartels, bad guys, or gangster around there. But, why do we need that tool if we can sleep and do activities peacefully there? There were many shooting accident in US, and I would to know what your reaction if someday you is gun pointed by a mad man or any one else. I will say it again, we don't need it if there is no threads to ours.

If you said you are living in not safe area, it's okay if you want a gun in your house. In almost no crime happened area, why you need that? If your neighbors know that you have a gun, so you are considered as a threat in your neighborhood.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2015, 06:26:48 AM

IMO, people should be given the choice whether whey want to own a fire-arm or not. In places like Texas, where home invasions are very common, the possession of a fire-arm can save many lives. However, the government should make it impossible for people with a criminal record, and those with mental issues from obtaining fire-arms.

However, the government doesn't give people with mental issues firearms to begin with.

In that case, not possessing a firearm will actually save a life... even if they're criminal.

The government doesn't give anyone guns, people have a RIGHT to own them, and they are free to buy them if they want and they aren't a felon or otherwise known to be violent or severely mentally ill. Inanimate objects can't make people insane. You assume people home invade "not to kill people", but in fact people getting raped and killed in their  homes is a fairly common occurrence in a lot of places, so your assumption there doesn't fly.
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 01:57:04 PM

11 times a good guy with a gun stopped a bad guy, saving lives - Photos - Washington Times

- images snipped.

That doesn't even include the three I could think of off the top of my head

Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 02:06:11 PM

You, obviously do not need protection, you can afford to pay for it. I am happy for you. A soldier is a civil servant. Just like some teachers. Teachers use a blackboard and slides. A soldier uses guns. I cannot send an army to a country if I am not commanding an army or ordered to do so by my commander in chef, my emperor, my ayatollah, my king or supreme leader. 
"We" can use a shift system. That's a noble thought. No one ever said a "protector" should work 24/7. If a "protector' exists then it is to protect you. From whom? A baseball bat is not a weapon. It was created to play in this game millions of people love called baseball. A baseball bat is meant to hit a ball, not a human skull. It is cruel to smash the head of a another human being with a baseball bat. You would need more than one swing to stop your assailant. Also for a woman it would have been unfair for her to use a baseball bat to try to smash a man's skull twice her size, with a gun in his hand ready to rape her...I don't know what you have done to your rich neighborhood or your exclusive society, cause you need a "protector" doing shifts to protect yours 24/7...

Actually I never said that I am living in rich neighborhood, it's just my assumption. I'm living in low crimes area, which we don't need any weapons to protect our house. And I said I'm agree in the case someone lived in dangerous area where many crimes has happened there. I put my previous post here
I agree if gun is legalized to society, but with the provision of we are living in crimes area which there are drug cartels, bad guys, or gangster around there. But, why do we need that tool if we can sleep and do activities peacefully there? There were many shooting accident in US, and I would to know what your reaction if someday you is gun pointed by a mad man or any one else. I will say it again, we don't need it if there is no threads to ours.

If you said you are living in not safe area, it's okay if you want a gun in your house. In almost no crime happened area, why you need that? If your neighbors know that you have a gun, so you are considered as a threat in your neighborhood.

If you know your house or the ones in your neighborhood will never ever ever burn down why keep an extinguisher ready? The logical conclusion your neighbors should have is you are a pyromaniac... Or a fireman looking for an excuse to justify its existence.

Cool

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 02:10:50 PM

So guns cause mental illness? And home invaders are just good guys who need a little extra cash.  Huh
You do not know any criminals, do you?
Jesus, no wonder so many people die curled up in a ball, hiding under a desk in utter disbelief at the evil people do.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 02:26:32 PM

So guns cause mental illness? And home invaders are just good guys who need a little extra cash.  Huh
Jesus, no wonder so many people die curled up in a ball, hiding under a desk in utter disbelief at the evil people do.

How to slaughter a lamb or sheep or goat. Professionally
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=penw_Ng93oA

the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 02:40:35 PM

The government only knows you are mentally ill if there is a record of it.  Mental illness in this case applies only to those who have been diagnosed as having one.  There are potentially millions of people who meet the criteria for such a diagnosis but have not actually received one.  It's easy to understand how a mentally ill person can legally obtain a firearm in the absence of a diagnosis.  But are we going to place limits on everyone simply because of what they might possibly do?  Here's the thing about freedom -- you have the right to screw up and do something stupid.  So long as freedom exists, people will always have an opportunity to abuse that freedom.  This isn't a bad thing, it's just the nature of freedom.
Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 02:49:58 PM

The government only knows you are mentally ill if there is a record of it.  Mental illness in this case applies only to those who have been diagnosed as having one.  There are potentially millions of people who meet the criteria for such a diagnosis but have not actually received one.  It's easy to understand how a mentally ill person can legally obtain a firearm in the absence of a diagnosis.  But are we going to place limits on everyone simply because of what they might possibly do?  Here's the thing about freedom -- you have the right to screw up and do something stupid.  So long as freedom exists, people will always have an opportunity to abuse that freedom.  This isn't a bad thing, it's just the nature of freedom.

Technically every single human suffers from some kind of mental illness now or will later in its adult life. If you are too shy it is a mental illness. Too pushy with people around you? Mental illness... Should we ban someone for owning a gun now if that person is genetically predisposed to develop some kind of mental illness 40 years from now?

jayce
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2015, 03:01:13 PM

If you know your house or the ones in your neighborhood will never ever ever burn down why keep an extinguisher ready? The logical conclusion your neighbors should have is you are a pyromaniac... Or a fireman looking for an excuse to justify its existence.

Cool

Wow have you ever heard about someone was killed by an extinguisher? Or someone robbing mall and bank with an extinguisher in his hand maybe? Oh come on, gun is a weapon. Can you imagine what the difference of person face when you pointing a gun, compared when you pointing an extinguisher to him? Nobody ever state an extinguisher as a threat to them. It seems you really want the gun in your house.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 03:31:43 PM
Last edit: June 25, 2015, 05:20:10 PM by Wilikon

Cool

Wow have you ever heard about someone was killed by an extinguisher? Or someone robbing mall and bank with an extinguisher in his hand maybe? Oh come on, gun is a weapon. Can you imagine what the difference of person face when you pointing a gun, compared when you pointing an extinguisher to him? Nobody ever state an extinguisher as a threat to them. It seems you really want the gun in your house.

Nobody ever stated legally owning a gun in your house for self defense was a threat to their entire neighborhood either... Nobody ever said legally owning a gun in your private home would automatically turn you into a mall or bank robber either.

I certainly did not...

Smiley

Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 04:20:52 PM

Detroit woman who admitted killing friend with crock pot during argument over presidential race gets at least 23 years

A Detroit woman who pleaded guilty to fatally beating her friend with a slow cooker during a fight over the 2016 presidential election was sentenced to at least 23 years in jail on Monday.

Tewana Sullivan, 51, who has a history of bipolar disorder, received the recommended term for second-degree murder while mentally ill that she and prosecutors agreed to in plea deal negotiations last month.

Sullivan was declared competent to stand trial and she later admitted she bludgeoned her friend Cheryl Livy, 66, to death with a crock pot in Livy’s home last October.

She said in court that she hadn’t taken her medication that day and her lawyer John McWilliams said she was drunk at the time of the argument over next year’s presidential race.

“One was for one major political party and the other was for the other major political party,” McWilliams said.

Her friend was also brandishing a cooking pot and wouldn’t let her leave the apartment in the Detroit suburb of Livonia when she tried, Sullivan said, according to WKBD-TV. Police officers reportedly found Livy unconscious with the slow cooker’s cord around her neck.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/woman-killed-friend-crock-pot-23-years-article-1.2259385

----------------------------------
... We Need More Regulations & Control...

Pentax

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 04:25:54 PM

Pretty much sums it up for me.  Everyone thinks it won't happen to them.  Home invasions and violent attacks happen with regularity every day.

If we could wave the magic wand and criminals wouldn't have guns I'd be all for getting rid of them.  I'm no fan of guns and certainly no 'gun nut', however, in the absence of that pipe dream of eliminating them I'm not going to be left unable to defend my home and family in the unlikely event that some roving asshole(s) decides it's time to make today my lucky day.

I do not live in a high crime area, but still have cameras and motion sensors outside the house to make it difficult if not impossible for someone to gain access without tripping a sensor, and I keep loaded weapons in my home.  I'm no cowboy and absolutely, positively do not want to shoot another human being, but would do so if the only choice was doing so or seeing harm done to my family.

I've got smoke detectors networked, fire extinguishers handy and escape ladders in the 2nd floor bedrooms for similar reasons.  It's not about looking to blow someone's head off, it's about doing whatever possible to prepare for that unlikely, but potentially deadly, possibility.
jayce
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2015, 04:52:47 PM

Nobody ever stated legally owning a gun in your house for self defense was a threat to their entire neighborhood either... Nobody ever said legally owning a gun in your private home would automatically turns you into a mall or bank robber either.

I certainly did not...

Smiley

In my neighborhood, if the neighbors know that you have a gun in your house which it is being banned by government, so they will report you as a threat in the society to authorities, then you will be sentenced. Why you have a gun since the neighbors around you don't and crimes never happened around there.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 05:18:23 PM

Another thing that gun owners I know try to do is not use their guns. Here are the guys currently working my neighborhood. They have not (so-far) been armed or hurt anyone. I would hate to shoot one of them as I think they are not really that hard as criminals. In fact before this story came out over the weekend I believe I had a beer at the park with these two. We talked in Spanish and some English about the weather and our families. I knew they were criminals. They were covered in gang/prison tats, but they were cool with me and I thought perhaps they had cleaned up their lives a bit.
It was disappointing to realize they were robbing my neighbors. I was also concerned for their lives as most of my neighbors have a gun locked and loaded for defense. So our neighborhood got together and made wanted posters to plaster everywhere. I think that will encourage them to move on. But I'm still worried. A friend and I are going to the park where they hang out and tonight and try to talk some sense into them. I'm willing to help them get away from crime and connect them with resources if they want it. If they keep walking into houses like they are doing it is just a matter of time.  I hope they make the right choice.

http://www.nbc15.com/news/crimetracker/headlines/Police-asking-for-help-identifying-persons-of-interest-in-connection-with-burglary-309114881.html

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 05:37:22 PM

Nobody ever stated legally owning a gun in your house for self defense was a threat to their entire neighborhood either... Nobody ever said legally owning a gun in your private home would automatically turns you into a mall or bank robber either.

I certainly did not...

Smiley

In my neighborhood, if the neighbors know that you have a gun in your house which it is being banned by government, so they will report you as a threat in the society to authorities, then you will be sentenced. Why you have a gun since the neighbors around you don't and crimes never happened around there.

Never any crimes? Sounds like one of those scandinavian socialist paradise. I want to google the crime rate of your country, its size, legal and illegal immigration data and other statistics so I understand your position better.

Can the neighbor prove the gun does not belong to him and, maybe, was planted by the dude who called the government on him? Or does he go straight to jail?

What is the name of your country?

Thank you.

Smiley

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 05:40:11 PM

Another thing that gun owners I know try to do is not use their guns.

Absolutely.  There is nothing I own (except my life or that of my family) worth killing anyone over.  My plan for defending my property is to fire a warning shot, then if that doesn't work, run like hell and come back with a more effective way of dealing with the problem.

That said, I am happy that a lot of people will blow some scumbag's face off, or at least claim to be looking forward to such an opportunity.  I've zero doubt that that threat alone has kept a LOT of crime from even being attempted in the first place and has saved a lot of lives.

---

I'll also re-iterate the point that someone tried to make in the up-thread.  Many criminals, and especially ones who've been long term meth-heads which is the drug of choice in my area, are simply not good people that you can have a nice conversation with and show them the error of their ways.  Recently several of them killed another one of their own with a hammer and dumped the body in an alley.  Another set killed their bed-riden aging relative with an OD of meth in order to inherit some property.  Multiple times per year groups of them have a party in a certain place on a certain road and get drunk and amped and stop and harass passer's by.  Even the sheriffs find something they would rather do than to come up and deal with them.  Point is, these are the kinds of people we have to deal with and armed home-owners with neighborhood watches have proven an effective way of doing so.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 205 »
  Print  

Jump to: