Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:10:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: The function of religion ?  (Read 18598 times)
mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 08:01:19 PM

You may not know what Satanism is. Not a religion, but instead a self-described philosophical organization. It is comprised of atheists. www.churchofsatan.com/pages/_FAQ03.html if you're interested.

Yeah, and how stupid can you be to name your little club of self-indulgent atheists after a mythical god creature?

Stupidity is #1 on the list of the Nine Satanic Sins. So we strive to avoid and see through stupidity. We don't believe in any mythical creature called Satan. Satan is symbolic.
I never said you believe in satan, i said you named your club of self-indulging atheists after it.
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fishface

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2012, 08:02:49 PM

You may not know what Satanism is. Not a religion, but instead a self-described philosophical organization. It is comprised of atheists. www.churchofsatan.com/pages/_FAQ03.html if you're interested.

Yeah, and how stupid can you be to name your little club of self-indulgent atheists after a mythical god creature?

Stupidity is #1 on the list of the Nine Satanic Sins. So we strive to avoid and see through stupidity. We don't believe in any mythical creature called Satan. Satan is symbolic.
I never said you believe in satan, i said you named your club of self-indulging atheists after it.

I didn't name it. But I did edit my post with further explanation.
fishface

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2012, 08:05:12 PM

"We create our gods, not the other way around. In a very real way, we construct them and define them—and they, in turn, guide and define us. We are a world of storytellers. If aliens really were studying our various cultures on this planet, they might be quite perplexed about our obsession with fiction. We read novels, we go to movies, we watch fictions on television, we’ve carved them on walls for centuries—even our history is filtered through dramatic storylines. Why? We use stories about our heroes, our gods, our demons, our successes, failures, dreams and nightmares in order to preserve what has happened, to communicate our common values, to work through our common fears, to ritualize, instruct and have fun. Humans shine when events become unconventional. That’s the basis for all good tales. What do you do when you’re the underdog, fighting for survival? What do you do when God is dead and there are no rules? What kind of character or honor or sense of justice do you really have when there’s no God to judge you, no threat of eternity in the fiery furnace? That’s when things get interesting. Step beyond the boundaries and see what you might find within yourself. Satanists want to cut through the bullshit, challenge themselves and others, and enjoy life. Read on; perhaps you’ll begin to see your own dark reflection through the words on your computer screen."
mobodick

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 08:20:08 PM
Last edit: October 16, 2012, 08:41:29 PM by mobodick

Stupidity is #1 on the list of the Nine Satanic Sins. So we strive to avoid and see through stupidity. We don't believe in any mythical creature called Satan. Satan is symbolic in a sense, and further...

"If you’re new to Satanism, or simply curious, perhaps a brief discussion of one of the most common questions might help you to better understand what this site is all about. Why call it Satanism?

Dr. LaVey has answered this question many times in his writings and in interviews but, apparently, it’s a tough concept for some people. It is usually accompanied by, “You know, everything you say makes a lot of sense. But that name, ‘Satan’, is a real turn-off for people. Why don’t you just call it ‘Humanism’ or something—you’d get a lot more followers.”

Of course, the first point is, we don’t need a lot of followers; we need more leaders in society in general and Satanism is a philosophy of leaders. That’s the glib answer. The more complete answer is that Satanists find more strength in images of defiance, fortitude against all odds and self-determination than we do in the image of the guy hanging on the Cross. We are sickened by the complacency, hypocrisy, prejudice, and self-righteousness that most conventional religions (including “Wicca” and “paganism” as they are currently defined) encourage in people. When my back is up against the wall, I’m not strengthened by Jesus’ supposed martyrdom, or by the idea of praying and being saved, or of mooning over some glorious afterlife (so I don’t have to take responsibility for this one). Satanists’ scorn for such drivel is in our hard-wiring, and we could no more “give our lives over to Christ” than we could cut off one of our own limbs. The word “Satan” is the first hurdle to understanding what we’re trying to get across. Question, challenge all things, especially what you’ve been taught about supposed enemies. Sort out the truth from convenient myths. Words are magical and potent—use them effectively."

A quote from Magistra Blanche Barton, Church of Satan

Aah, so it's a psychological framework for affirming your superiority!
Are you sure Satanism isn't an early work of (edit)Ayn Rand?

Don't get me wrong, i understand the point satanists try to make.
I just cannot escape the thought that the deep embedding of ritualism hints at trying to be the other side of the coin.
My view is that reality is not dualistic in this sense.
fishface

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2012, 08:29:49 PM

Stupidity is #1 on the list of the Nine Satanic Sins. So we strive to avoid and see through stupidity. We don't believe in any mythical creature called Satan. Satan is symbolic in a sense, and further...

"If you’re new to Satanism, or simply curious, perhaps a brief discussion of one of the most common questions might help you to better understand what this site is all about. Why call it Satanism?

Dr. LaVey has answered this question many times in his writings and in interviews but, apparently, it’s a tough concept for some people. It is usually accompanied by, “You know, everything you say makes a lot of sense. But that name, ‘Satan’, is a real turn-off for people. Why don’t you just call it ‘Humanism’ or something—you’d get a lot more followers.”

Of course, the first point is, we don’t need a lot of followers; we need more leaders in society in general and Satanism is a philosophy of leaders. That’s the glib answer. The more complete answer is that Satanists find more strength in images of defiance, fortitude against all odds and self-determination than we do in the image of the guy hanging on the Cross. We are sickened by the complacency, hypocrisy, prejudice, and self-righteousness that most conventional religions (including “Wicca” and “paganism” as they are currently defined) encourage in people. When my back is up against the wall, I’m not strengthened by Jesus’ supposed martyrdom, or by the idea of praying and being saved, or of mooning over some glorious afterlife (so I don’t have to take responsibility for this one). Satanists’ scorn for such drivel is in our hard-wiring, and we could no more “give our lives over to Christ” than we could cut off one of our own limbs. The word “Satan” is the first hurdle to understanding what we’re trying to get across. Question, challenge all things, especially what you’ve been taught about supposed enemies. Sort out the truth from convenient myths. Words are magical and potent—use them effectively."

A quote from Magistra Blanche Barton, Church of Satan

Aah, so it's a psychological framework for affirming your superiority!
Are you sure Satanism isn't an early work of Ann Ryan?

Don't get me wrong, i understand the point satanists try to make.
I just cannot escape the thought that the deep embedding of ritualism hints at trying to be the other side of the coin.
My view is that reality is not dualistic in this sense.

Thanks for some discourse that isn't merely attacking/calling stupid. I don't see a "philosophy of leaders" as a framework for affirming my superiority. I don't wrap myself up enough in others to compare myself to them. To me, a philosophy of leaders is simply a short way of stating the idea that we strive to lead by trying new things and exploring our potential as opposed to following tradition and accepting what we are told about ourselves.

Ayn Rand's objectivism definitely had significant influence on LaVey and Satanic philosophy, but there are clear differences between objectivism and satanism. I'd enjoy discussing further, but I have things going on and will be back later tonight.
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 04:33:28 PM

Bit off topic, but I found an image of Anton LaVey doing his now infamous robot ventriloquist act

yrtrnc

Activity: 605
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 08:58:21 PM

Look, the way I see it,, we all have our individual opinions and thoughts. No matter how right we may think we are this does not mean we must alienate others, if we do we are only alienating ourselves. Whats important is that we listen to eachother and respect eachother, and that we have a healthy outlook on life that helps us emotionally and physically.

We are all part of a big family and we care for one another, I think this is one of the main reasons we get so upset. Because we think we are trying to help as we know better but the person opposite us doesnt change their opinions so we get upset because we think these opinions are bad.
Maybe they are not so bad, maybe we could also learn from these views and find a middle path. Science can help, spirituality can also help. Ultimately they serve the same cause and that's us. We are the ones who are important, us people, our big family. Believe in us, let this be your religion and let is serve the purpose of love. Open your hearts and minds to one another..
bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 04:06:17 AM

The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth

Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
    Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
    When in another's lair, show them respect or else do not go there.
    If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat them cruelly and without mercy.
    Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
    Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and they cry out to be relieved.
    Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
    Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
    Do not harm little children.
    Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
    When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they don’t stop, destroy them.

Most of them are pretty good. Number 3 has been most useful to me.
ralree

Activity: 518

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 05:05:42 AM

Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.

How is "acknowledging the power of magic" not religious?  If Satanism is composed of atheists, surely this rule is unnecessarily, as no atheist would believe in magic.  What supernatural force is this referring to?  Aliens?

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 05:09:07 AM

How is "acknowledging the power of magic" not religious?  If Satanism is composed of atheists, surely this rule is unnecessarily, as no atheist would believe in magic.  What supernatural force is this referring to?  Aliens?

Magic is not inherently religious, needs no deity to work (or not work), and you can even call certain scientifically sound events (like observation mucking with subatomic particles) "magical".

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
bb113

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 06:06:36 AM

Magic is not inherently religious, needs no deity to work (or not work), and you can even call certain scientifically sound events (like observation mucking with subatomic particles) "magical".

If it works, it works. Placebo effect is real, weird unintuitive stuff is real. The point is relying on evidence. That said I'm pretty sure that rule was added in during some democratic process.
Vanderbleek

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 06:16:55 AM

What's magical about the fact that bombarding small particles with energy (photons) to see them changes their trajectory?
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 07:33:11 AM

What's magical about the fact that bombarding small particles with energy (photons) to see them changes their trajectory?

I was referring more to the double-slit experiment and the fact that light behaves as a wave, even at a single photon at a time, and produces an interference pattern on a screen behind the two slits unless there are photon detectors by the slits. It's just weird. The other quantum effects, like entanglement, and gods know how many other things I can't think of right now are even more "spooky." The idea that there might be a particle which directly reacts to human will is not too far-fetched, when compared to the rest of the proven things subatomic particles do. And that most definitely would be "magic".

And let's not forget Clarke's third law.

Of course, I digress. The point is that "magic" and "deity" are separate concepts, and that atheists are not always rational.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Atlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 07:43:56 AM

I was referring more to the double-slit experiment and the fact that light behaves as a wave, even at a single photon at a time, and produces an interference pattern on a screen behind the two slits unless there are photon detectors by the slits. It's just weird. The other quantum effects, like entanglement, and gods know how many other things I can't think of right now are even more "spooky." The idea that there might be a particle which directly reacts to human will is not too far-fetched, when compared to the rest of the proven things subatomic particles do. And that most definitely would be "magic".

Of course, I digress. The point is that "magic" and "deity" are separate concepts, and that atheists are not always rational.

Stuff like this makes me not take perception of reality at face value. Reality is no longer rigid.
bb113

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 08:16:34 AM

You also may just be stuck in a local maximum (of probability of being right), but have not explored the entire space of possibilities. Other people with different starting points and different paths may be stuck in their own local maxima, the only way to judge which is "right" is if all brains agree (converge) on the same answer, which may take infinite time (so is impossible for mortals). Consciousness trying to understand the universe is just like a huge markov chain monte carlo experiment.
That's the basis of spirituality, finding your own path to find the same truth.  In no way is it impossible for our species to become like-minded, time is an illusory boundary.  And consciousness grasps itself fine, it's the ego that's in need of lessons.

Good point, individuals are mortal, while species are not. To keep my mcmc analogy going, each species is it's own chain, each individual/brain/consciousness/ego is a unique genetic (in the computer science and biological sense) algorithm that samples from the space of possibilities. This is how I look at it:

The challenge here was to fit a curve with 3 parameters to some data, you can see that the chains all converged quickly onto one point, but failed to explore the entire set of possibilities (avoided areas of low probability, although the best answer may have been found surrounded by unlikely answers). The more challenging task of understanding the universe, existence, etc has many more dimensions, and there are many more chains exploring this space some branching off others at certain points, and they are not all independent of each other.

Your brain probably agrees with the machine:

I don't agree on you injecting things like 'understanding the universe' into this.
I don't see any sign of evolution striving for that goal.
It is more like a random walk in a space with attractors. Some things just happen to work better than others in this universe and so can be selected for. But possibility space is full of niches and so a genepool can inhabit such a niche and be successfull. The problem is that the genome then becomes more specific and cannot easily escape its current direction of development. That makes it seem as if that strain of genes it directed towards a goal. But that is just an illusion.
What i try to say is that there is no overall direction evolution takes. It just tests the environment and adapts to it. There is no overarching goal of understanding the universe. That is purely a human preoccupation.

I just saw this and agree completely. However perhaps overall the different starting points of organisms throughout our galaxy roughly approximate this strategy. The likelihood of success or decision rule is gene/information propagation. Human-like consciousness is just one possible route. Perhaps bacteria have it right.
mobodick

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

No, it's still pretty far fetched.
Anything we humans experience is at an aggregate level of roughly 10^38 atoms (and that's just in your body).
There is no way you can somehow steer the 'magic' of one atom amongst 100000000000000000000000000000000000000 other atoms.

Remember also that the scale of atoms is somewhere round 10^-17 or so.
We realy have nothing to do with quantum stuff at our scale.
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134

You cannot kill love

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 04:09:04 PM

Except, we do create our reality in our mind.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
mobodick

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 04:17:07 PM

Except, we do create our reality in our mind.

No, what you experience of reality is produced by your brain. But fantasy is also produced by your brain.
Take enough drugs and you'll start confusing that.
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134

You cannot kill love

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 04:50:06 PM

Reality is fantasy.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
mobodick

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 05:06:23 PM

Reality is fantasy.

Yes, that is exactly the kind of confusion i was talking about.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: