Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:25:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: The function of religion ?  (Read 18598 times)
Fappanu

Activity: 1111
Merit: 255

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 03:12:33 AM

I'm an atheist and have the following standpoint:

- All religions are hoaxes, making people belive in non-existing gods.

Religions serve the following purposes:

1. Making people have some comfort in their lives, having something else than themselves to pray to and look up to. This is mostly culturrally dependent,
most people adhere to the religion were they grew up, and what was ingrained in them from early childhood.

2. To keep uneducated people in control.

3. To keep power and control in a central position.

If religion was all about love to your God, and it was all a mental thing, there would be no need for churches, and all accessories that goes with a religion.

It's sad that a God-fearing man goes regularily to church to get closer to his maker. He could've been just as close to his God in his couch at home.

Many religious entities collect money, and are rather greedy, there are internal battles about power and control, just think of the Vatican.

I think it's rather sad that in 2012, so many people put their belief in something that doesn't exist. You may pray, and you may feel that your prayers were heard,
and things turn for the better in your life, but most of the time, the prayers are futile, and the only one that can change anything in your life is yourself.

States need to separate themselves from religion, and any religious society needs to take care of itself. Many religious societies does serve a good purpose in their
municipality, and there's nothing wrong with that,  and I do respect anyone that has their faith, but I don't think there's any God of any sorts, and people need to take
responsibility for their own lives.

Will the earth ever come to a point where people are so educated that they understand that science is the only true answer, and that everything else is fairytales ?

As much as I respect any Christian or any devoted religious person from any other religion (I may think his belief is a joke, but I would never say it to his face to force a confrontation in disrespect), I don't think any religions should have any special protection under the law.

Part of the problem is that Religion is so ingrained into the culture of most countries, that many people don't even question it.

Education will put the power in the hands of the people to learn about the world around them, and will remove the power of the leaders of their religion over them.

As an atheist, I don't think your religion defines whether you're a good person or not, that's more down to the person itself, and the values you've been taught in your upbringing, and what you've learned through your education.

Now, with the recent uproar about the 'Innocence of Muslims'-movie, people shouldn't get upset about it. If they don't like it, they should simply ignore it, and don't speak of it. Killing people, making riots etc. and claim that it's because of this movie, this is not right. People are always responsible for what they do.

If I were a Christian, and someone mocked my religion and called me a religious fool, and I got angry and burned down their house, that would be completely unacceptable by me, and I would need to take the full penalty for it.

Some people say we should not provoke 'islam' through cartoons, movies etc. And this may seem like the easy way out. But what if we continously bombarded Islam with this material, would they keep rioting every day of the week, every week, every month and every year, or would they finally sit down and say to themselves: "I'm tired of fighting, I can be a good muslim, no matter what any people say about my religion".

Islam doesn't receive more goodwill by having it's followers react like this, I would think most sivilized people just seeing this for what it is; outright crimes. Also I think a lot of the people that we see rioting in the streets, are only using this movie as an excuse for acting like they do.

Is there a single other Religion in the world were the members would've reacted like this over a movie ?

What do you all think ?

The function of religion is to gather every humankind. Religion serves as the tie to make the belief better. I do agree that Religion is also a consideration for all the culture. Sometimes, fiestas like what happens in Ph and Spain are because of religion. The devotion is because of religion. It is a tool for people to get connected to eachother.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Falmera

Activity: 280
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 03:36:56 AM

There are variety of religions. But I believe that all have the same purpose. Humans are created for one ultimate goal and that is everlasting life and happiness. And that is when a person is with his creator. So, each of the religions has its own belief and teachings. Making people to do good and follow what is right. This is the advantage of having a religion. Without it, maybe people will not be guided and have the tendency the society to be chaotic.

ORVIUM            Open and Transparent Science
『 https://orvium.io/ 』   Powered By Blockchain
Strongball

Activity: 210
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 08:58:35 AM

I think religions are important aspects in life, they add depth to a person's well being and help
guide and shape an individuals belief, purpose and values. It brings people together and advocates
peace, love and unity. It brings order to our chaotic lives. In our society and communities religion
played a significant role that helped mold, develop and influence our culture and practices.
rockyboy

Activity: 392
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 10:58:06 AM

Religion is the good source of the word of God. They encourage someone to live in a perfect will of God, to fear God and must obey the commandments of God.

███    TWITTER    UbcoinMarket   WHITEPAPER    ███ PARTNERSHIPS
███       ANN          EXCHANGE CRYPTOCURRENCY FOR REAL GOODS         MEDIUM       ███    SAMSUNG
███  TELEGRAM  WEBSITE      FACEBOOK     ███       FLY 
z38630610
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 02:13:46 PM

1. Making people have some comfort in their lives, having something else than themselves to pray to and look up to. This is mostly culturrally dependent,
most people adhere to the religion were they grew up, and what was ingrained in them from early childhood.

If religion was all about love to your God, and it was all a mental thing, there would be no need for churches, and all accessories that goes with a religion.

It's sad that a God-fearing man goes regularily to church to get closer to his maker. He could've been just as close to his God in his couch at home.

Many religious entities collect money, and are rather greedy, there are internal battles about power and control, just think of the Vatican.

I think it's rather sad that in 2012, so many people put their belief in something that doesn't exist. You may pray, and you may feel that your prayers were heard,
and things turn for the better in your life, but most of the time, the prayers are futile, and the only one that can change anything in your life is yourself.

States need to separate themselves from religion, and any religious society needs to take care of itself. Many religious societies does serve a good purpose in their
municipality, and there's nothing wrong with that,  and I do respect anyone that has their faith, but I don't think there's any God of any sorts, and people need to take

Will the earth ever come to a point where people are so educated that they understand that science is the only true answer, and that everything else is fairytales ?

As much as I respect any Christian or any devoted religious person from any other religion (I may think his belief is a joke, but I would never say it to his face to force a confrontation in disrespect), I don't think any religions should have any special protection under the law.

Part of the problem is that Religion is so ingrained into the culture of most countries, that many people don't even question it.

Education will put the power in the hands of the people to learn about the world around them, and will remove the power of the leaders of their religion over them.

As an atheist, I don't think your religion defines whether you're a good person or not, that's more down to the person itself, and the values you've been taught in your upbringing, and what you've learned through your education.

Now, with the recent uproar about the 'Innocence of Muslims'-movie, people shouldn't get upset about it. If they don't like it, they should simply ignore it, and don't speak of it. Killing people, making riots etc. and claim that it's because of this movie, this is not right. People are always responsible for what they do.

If I were a Christian, and someone mocked my religion and called me a religious fool, and I got angry and burned down their house, that would be completely unacceptable by me, and I would need to take the full penalty for it.

Some people say we should not provoke 'islam' through cartoons, movies etc. And this may seem like the easy way out. But what if we continously bombarded Islam with this material, would they keep rioting every day of the week, every week, every month and every year, or would they finally sit down and say to themselves: "I'm tired of fighting, I can be a good muslim, no matter what any people say about my religion".

Islam doesn't receive more goodwill by having it's followers react like this, I would think most sivilized people just seeing this for what it is; outright crimes. Also I think a lot of the people that we see rioting in the streets, are only using this movie as an excuse for acting like they do.

Is there a single other Religion in the world were the members would've reacted like this over a movie ?

What do you all think ?

In the past religion was a kind of constitution. People used religion making life brighter and liveable. But in the following years rich people used it for their own benefits. And it is still for them governments. I believe that religion is opium of poor people.

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████ ██ ████████▄▀█▄
█ ███████▄▄ ▌ ▄▄▄ ▀██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ████ ██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████ █
█ █████████ ▌ █████ █████ █
█ █████▄▀▀  ▌ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████ █
▀█▄▀███████ ██ ████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
.JINBI..

merges gold’s investment
holding value
with
blockchain technology
...T H E   G O L D E N   I C O...
.────────     WHITEPAPER     ────────.
▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████ ██ ████████▄▀█▄
█ ███████▄▄ ▌ ▄▄▄ ▀██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ████ ██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████ █
█ █████████ ▌ █████ █████ █
█ █████▄▀▀  ▌ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████ █
▀█▄▀███████ ██ ████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
Crash21

Activity: 154
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 05:12:04 PM

Religion nowdays is slowly dying because of new generation of peope who interested in science and don't wanna be slaves of church like our parents.
copypaper5

Activity: 210

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 06:03:14 PM

Religion can unite cultural differences in a plural society. Religion is very important and very instrumental in shaping and building the order of society become more organized, and more advanced because the teachings of religion can create harmony culture and improve the quality of association in people who have different religions in a plural society to always coexist without any envy, envy, feel the most right and others.
Gintron

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 11:50:14 AM
Merited by iluvbitcoins (1)

What do you all think ?

You say religion is haox let me just remind you that the century with the most deaths in history was the 20.st century
when the rulers of the world ware atheists: Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin.... This is fact, so no subjective point of yours would matter.

Religion helps people stay in touch with their good side. When you remove God from your life you are erasing the whole morality of yours.
You now become the judge of what is right and wrong and what seems to you right doesn`t mean the other person would say it is.
So there we can see the need to have one reference of what is good and what is bad.

Let me ask you further question if you say there is good and bad then you must say there must be a moral law that defines good and bad.
If you have a moral law that defines good and bad then there must be a moral giver and that is God. Or would you say that a dictionary is
just a byproduct of an explosion in a printing office.

Bitcore BTX - The Future Is Now | free BTX claiming for BTC holders + weekly airdrops + GPU mining
Bitcore F.A.Q.   |   BTX claiming + more info   |   ANN bitcointalk: open discussion   
segwit + bloom + 10 MB blocks + 2.5 min blocktime + only 400 MB blockchain! + Diff64_15 smooth algo
cristin

Activity: 63

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 12:23:45 PM

The religion of islam or any other religion is a stick to pointing the way for people who are blind to the value of moral values and norms religious norms that rate in the community. By having a religious person will always be on the path of goodness and truth that can benefit yourself or other people in your life
namaldisa

Activity: 57

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 01:24:40 PM

Religion is a cultural universal because it fulfills several basic functions within human societies. It is a basic requirement of group life. In sociological terms, these include both manifest and latent functions. Among the manifest (open and stated) functions of religion are included defining the spiritual world and giving meaning to the divine.but religen is defferent from thing of the pepols
chuchsostom

Activity: 7

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 08:10:25 PM

The structural-functional approach to religion has its roots in Emile Durkheim’s work on religion. Durkheim argued that religion is, in a sense, the celebration and even (self-) worship of human society. Given this approach, Durkheim proposed that religion has three major functions in society: it provides social cohesion to help maintain social solidarity through shared rituals and beliefs, social control to enforce religious-based morals and norms to help maintain conformity and control in society, and it offers meaning and purpose to answer any existential questions. Further, Durkheim placed himself in the positivist tradition, meaning that he thought of his study of society as dispassionate and scientific. He was deeply interested in the problem of what held complex modern societies together. Religion, he argued, was an expression of social cohesion.

Kevinvaonav

Activity: 414
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 12:34:08 AM

Religion is a guideline of human life in living a life in a world that can give guidance to his people to know the right and wrong actions, good and bad.Religion is used to regulate the relationship between its people and God also regulates human relationships with others. In this case there is guidance of love, helping with sincerity, living in harmony, contributing to the burden for the weak, and fostering relationships with others in harmony.

▰▰▰  KingCasino  ▰▰▰
▰▰▰   licensed cryptocurrency online casino site in curacao    ▰▰▰
Telegram    Twitter     Facebook 
kerwin p

Activity: 26

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 06:43:13 AM

To unite people into groups even though we are in different of religion. The important thing is that we don't act recklessly in our society because of the religion that we keep in our mentality.
lancelot0220

Activity: 116

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 02:04:35 PM

In our earth, We have an Different religion, but what ever happens their is one that must give an love and trust, that is God.
deepflame

Activity: 7

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 09:44:54 PM

Hey Herodes,

I just made some comments on your thread. Even though it is pretty late, I hope it helps. Please feel free to reach out if you have more questions.

Depends on what religion you talk about. If you talk about the Christian faith, then it is all about the love God has for us and all we as followers do is a response to that.

If you are talking about Christians then the maker is already inside of them. Yes, they could have just been on the sofa but there is something special of worshipping and mingling with other believers that you cannot do at home.

That is your belief that God does not exist. Why not put it to the test and pray yourself to Jesus if he is real. He will surely answer your prayer.

Science will never tell you about purpose in life and what will happen with your soul after you died.

Agree, every human should be treated equal and have the rights to express his/her worldview.

Based on the bible no person on this planet can get to God because we are all not “holy”. But thankfully he sent Jesus to reconcile us with him.
snedyolo

Activity: 226
Merit: 103

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 06:02:44 AM

I believe the function of religion is to set out a standard of what ishould be morally accepted and not. It serves as a norm of mankind. But, judging by what's happening these days, they use religion as a reason on why there is war or there is a  issue between countries. That's why it is sad.

Astargath

Activity: 1624
Merit: 645

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 10:24:04 AM

Hey Herodes,

I just made some comments on your thread. Even though it is pretty late, I hope it helps. Please feel free to reach out if you have more questions.

Depends on what religion you talk about. If you talk about the Christian faith, then it is all about the love God has for us and all we as followers do is a response to that.

If you are talking about Christians then the maker is already inside of them. Yes, they could have just been on the sofa but there is something special of worshipping and mingling with other believers that you cannot do at home.

That is your belief that God does not exist. Why not put it to the test and pray yourself to Jesus if he is real. He will surely answer your prayer.

Science will never tell you about purpose in life and what will happen with your soul after you died.

Agree, every human should be treated equal and have the rights to express his/her worldview.

Based on the bible no person on this planet can get to God because we are all not “holy”. But thankfully he sent Jesus to reconcile us with him.

How do you know your religion is the real one? There are plenty of religions out there and all their followers claim they have seen their respective gods. You only believe in what you believe because you were taught that way not because there is compelling evidence for it. That's the problem with belief and faith, faith is not a good way to find out the truth.

\\\\\...COIN.....
...CURB...
         ▄▄▄████████████▄▄▄
      ▄██████████████████████▄
    ▄█████▀▀▀          ▀▀▀█████▄
   ████▀      █████▄▄       ▀████
  ████        ██   ▀██        ████
 ████         ██    ██         ████
▐███▌         ██▄▄▄██▀         ▐███▌
▐███▌         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▐███▌
▐███▌         ████████         ▐███▌
 ████            ██            ████
  ████           ██           ████
   ████▄         ██         ▄████
    ▀█████▄▄▄          ▄▄▄█████▀
      ▀██████████████████████▀
         ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀
........NEWS, UPDATES, & ICO'S........
...FROM ALL THE PROJECTS YOU LOVE...
▄▄█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████▀     ██  ██  ██     ▀██▀     ██      ██     ▀██  ██     ▀██     █████████████
█████████████  ██████  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██████  ██████  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██  ████████████████
█████████████▄    ▀██  ██  ██  ▀▀  ██▄    ▀██  ██████  ▀▀  ██  ██  ▀▀  ██     █████████████
█████████████████  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██████  ██  ██████  ▄  ▀██  ██  ██  ██  ████████████████
█████████████     ▄██▄    ▄██  ▀▀ ▄██     ▄██      ██  ██  ██  ██  ▀▀ ▄██     █████████████
 ▀▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀

▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄███▀▀     ▀▀███▄
  ███             ███
 ███               ███
▐██   ▐█▄   ▄███▄   ██▌
██▌    ███▄██████▀  ▐██
██▌    ▐████████    ▐██
▐██     ▐██████     ██▌
 ███   ▀█████▀     ███
  ███             ███
   ▀███▄▄     ▄▄███▀
     ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄███▀▀     ▀▀███▄
  ███             ███
 ███   ▄██████▀▄   ███
▐██   ████▀▀▀████   ██▌
██▌   ███ ███ ███   ▐██
██▌   ███ ███ ███   ▐██
▐██   ████▄▄▄████   ██▌
 ███   ▀███████▀   ███
  ███             ███
   ▀███▄▄     ▄▄███▀
     ▀▀█████████▀▀
/////
balintong15

Activity: 126

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 11:46:46 AM

Religion enable us to know God and have faith to hoim. I guess the function of religion is it teaches us the good things to do, why are we gonna do that and how to do that. Simple but important things to be wholeheartedly obey. Another is, it strengthen our faith and believe in god. Our spiritual life will be better and better. Our social life also get better because you will have more and more friends because of religion. Being a member of a religious groups holds big and heavy responsibilities and obligations.
PETMALU11

Activity: 144

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 12:09:49 PM

Religion can lead you to good way to you to know what god do in her life just to sustain our good life, He gave her only child just to save us tou our sin. So be thankful because god is always there for us.
Oladejielisha

Activity: 280

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 02:04:39 PM

Religion is a good way to know who we serve
It help us to have faith in our creator
Religion help us to know what is good and right to do at different time
It help us to love more and forgive more
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: