Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 12:44:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon 6 Vs Antminer S7, which one you will choose?  (Read 38725 times)
valkir
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 06:18:11 PM

I will ask about that. Normally Avalon was one of the only company that didnt mine with the gear before sending them. Will check that.

██     Please support sidehack with his new miner project Send to :

1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 06:50:23 PM

BlockC.co , I have never heard of them, I find it weird they have them before Itop shop and are using the beta pictures.

That and Canaan Creative doesn't have them on their site anywhere or mentions of the Avalon 6, I would definitely hold off on making a purchase. This could just be a nice site to take some cash (plus the price seems a bit wrong doesn't it?)

They say they are US seller. I really want Avalon (Canaan Creative) to verify before I would order there.     

I don't think holding off will be a problem at the moment I think they wanted purchase of 10 which means most likely a group buy.  Hopefully it's lowered from 10 once they carry stock.
I checked the whois and it looks like it was registered the 8th of August, kind've odd avalon would do this with such a new company but whatever, the page on the avalon gives a bit more details, they won't have their first batch until November 10th, "We expect our first batch of Avalon6 miners to arrive at our California datacenter by November 10, 2015." This is the same date that is rumored for the S7 lite to release as well, if this price is correct, I think I avalon might have a bit of trouble with them if Antminer S7 lite releases at 1000$ usd on the same day.

One of the most interesting things is "Note: Minimum order quantity is currently 10.".  On E-Hash I do not remember 4.1's having a minimum quantity.   I liked not having a min quantity.   

I do think S7 lite if it comes out will go head to head with Avalon 6.  And eventually there should be a few more home miners.  But having more then one company selling gear honestly will help us home/hobby miners. 

In Mr.Lees thread I think he mentioned twords end of month being shipped on his 3PH he talked about... so we could see a big jump if to many sales like this with Avalon.

Ok all. To clarify everything, I contacted Xianfu to get some updates on the Avalon6 and also to talk about buying chip for Sidehack project. Xiangfu refer me to Sean the CEO of BlockC. SO this is totally legal. BlockC is the official reseller. If you want to check, check on the blog of BlockC, there is some pictures of Sean and Avalon Team together in San Fransisco.

MOQ is 10 because company dont want to manage multiple customer. Doing this will make there lives easier and our more complicated.  Tongue

Im in direct contact with Sean and Xiangfu if you have any question .  Wink
Do you happen to know if they are mining on them as they get them? "Batch one will reach their data center on nov 10th" makes it sound like they are mining on them asap and shipping them out when they get their orders.

Normally on batches they are plugged in until they sell.  It's the same with Bitmain.  If they don't sell for a while they mine them.

They lose value sitting in a box, some call it "burn ins".  But it's normal to have them ran till sold.
valkir
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 07:57:37 PM

actually since avalon didnt have big volume they didnt needed to mine. They almost build stuff in just in time. But yeah they could mine with it its normal. So they dont lose cash.

██     Please support sidehack with his new miner project Send to :

1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 08:11:37 PM

actually since avalon didnt have big volume they didnt needed to mine. They almost build stuff in just in time. But yeah they could mine with it its normal. So they dont lose cash.

It appears to be big volume this time around.  In one thread Mr. Lee said he bought 3PH in Avalon gear.  A few sales like that and it's not low volume.

Will be interesting to see what bitmain does in reaction.
Meech

Activity: 924

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 11:17:59 PM

Looks like Black Friday may come early this year for us..  Let the "Price War" begin!
As long as it's the least expensive and quietest I will buy it.  My luck that won't be the
trait of just one miner.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 11:23:34 PM

Looks like Black Friday may come early this year for us..  Let the "Price War" begin!
As long as it's the least expensive and quietest I will buy it.  My luck that won't be the
trait of just one miner.

I was just discussing that with another user in PM. I think the problem is that Avalon doesn't really go into "Price wars" they seem to instead sell at a certain price and hold it, to recoup their costs.

Its possible that Bitmain will release a S7 lite at a price to undermine the value of the Avalon6, however i am not sure Avalon will try to keep up, since Bitmain would undoubtedly win either way.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
sloopy

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 11:40:48 PM

Bitmain and Avalon probably discuss and price fix.
My pure speculation regarding Avalon, but not with Bitmain.

I do hope Avalon makes Bitmain work a little bit at least, come just one good price drop after the initial orders, then bam drop take enough for a couple of days and call shenanigans and mistakes then push price around again.
That would get Bitmain attention.

There is only so much money people are going to spend at current prices, but many more people will take a chance if they see a company with a solid reputation and previous solid products trying to take a chance with them.

This is why you see so many people who still praise Spondoolies. Even though the SP20 was a loser financially it was a huge win with the mining public for the most part. Especially people who can truly appreciate fine engineering.

If the Avalon 6 came out somewhere in between the engineering prowess of the SP20 and the price better than the Bitmain equivalent, or at least matching price, man look at how many people are ready to order. In the long run of the mining landscape this could play out extremely well for Avalon if they are not involved in discussions with bitmain. They could absolutely be neck and neck or even surpass bitmain with the right customer service, a solid product, and reasonable price. Show me tha money!

Transaction fees go to the pools and the pools decide to pay them to the miners. Anything else, including off-chain solutions are stealing and not the way Bitcoin was intended to function.
Make the block size set by the pool. Pool = miners and they get the choice.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 12:14:04 AM

Looks like Black Friday may come early this year for us..  Let the "Price War" begin!
As long as it's the least expensive and quietest I will buy it.  My luck that won't be the
trait of just one miner.

I was just discussing that with another user in PM. I think the problem is that Avalon doesn't really go into "Price wars" they seem to instead sell at a certain price and hold it, to recoup their costs.

Its possible that Bitmain will release a S7 lite at a price to undermine the value of the Avalon6, however i am not sure Avalon will try to keep up, since Bitmain would undoubtedly win either way.

I don't think Avalon will compete in a price war just from past unless they changed sales tactics.  Which is possible since it seems they are rumored to made a lot for Mr. Lees 3ph cloud he talked about, and I would imagine there are some other data centers.

The one some are saying are the US distributers - http://www.blockc.co/ mention a huge 10 MW center.  So there is a good chance they pump these out.

I do think bitmain will beat their price.  They in past have adjusted to be cheaper then competition, but a lot is unknown like if the new S7 is true.
Meech

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 12:29:15 AM

Yes, I didn't mean Avalon would adjust pricing just that Bitmain may bow to the competition and release a price competitive miner.

Anyone know electric costs in San Francisco area?  Avalon seems to have wised up and got a US
distributor this time finally.  That is what hurt their sales previously with the 4.1 and if I can
remember you couldn't buy them as a single unit.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 12:41:01 AM

Yes, I didn't mean Avalon would adjust pricing just that Bitmain may bow to the competition and release a price competitive miner.

Anyone know electric costs in San Francisco area?  Avalon seems to have wised up and got a US
distributor this time finally.  That is what hurt their sales previously with the 4.1 and if I can

San Francisco is not going to be one of the cheapest.  I suspect with such a large amount they got a better then average contract though.  10 MW facility gives you a lot of leverage when talking to electric company.

I suspect SF was picked based on location more then the cheapest price. It would most likely be in Washington if they were looking for lowest price alone.
Meech

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 01:04:42 AM

San Francisco is not going to be one of the cheapest.  I suspect with such a large amount they got a better then average contract though.  10 MW facility gives you a lot of leverage when talking to electric company.

I suspect SF was picked based on location more then the cheapest price. It would most likely be in Washington if they were looking for lowest price alone.
If they were in Washington I'd visit them daily and they'd grow to love me.   Cheesy
Too bad we can't see another $400-$500 miner with the latest tech, I have a hard time
shelling out $1000+ for anything.
rockyforever

Activity: 429
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2015, 03:21:32 AM

what is interesting is the 10 minimum for purchase. So another will have to resell or group buy.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 03:39:54 AM

what is interesting is the 10 minimum for purchase. So another will have to resell or group buy.

Most likely group buy, as for a re seller to have 10k in one product in-stock that is getting to pretty big re sellers.   Only thing that kinda stinks is that with this most likely no discount for group buy. 

I like when you go through trouble of GB there is a discount or something in it for both sides.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1849

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 04:19:35 AM

If they were in Washington I'd visit them daily and they'd grow to love me.   Cheesy
Too bad we can't see another $400-$500 miner with the latest tech, I have a hard time

If I was building I'd shoot for 2TH topend and about $400 price tag for a pair of S1-refit boards. That's a good price range for consumer miners.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Meech

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 04:38:46 AM

If I was building I'd shoot for 2TH topend and about $400 price tag for a pair of S1-refit boards. That's a good price range for consumer miners.

I know, I think the wait for chips to be supplied to you is driving us all batty!  I am excited for the pods.  But I need another
"Miner Heater" for my house other than my S2 which I will happily send to you when we have the green light.  Pods by Thanksgiving
would be killer.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 05:27:28 AM

I think upgrade's are something at this point we wont see much of.  Unless someone like sidehack releases us some great boards.

Bitmain seems to not be to interested in upgrades at this point.  A LOT held onto S2's waiting and waiting on upgrades that never came.   I do like the 400 dollar price that would be very nice.
SeventhWatcher

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 06:23:39 AM

I don't think any of these companies price their products properly. Why? Cause people used to buy them for 10k+ no questions asked. Now? Everyone is buying out or trying to milk it.

Avalon6 is overpriced. Won't doubt it if the S7 lite price makes people think twice, too.

People accept the 4month ROI. It's easy to price everything accordingly.

Their target market are people with established and profitable rigs looking to upgrade in bulk not people trying to buy one for fun or hobbyist who view this as a lottery attempt. You're better off taking your cash to the actual lottery unless you're shelling out at least 5k.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 06:33:56 AM

I don't think any of these companies price their products properly. Why? Cause people used to buy them for 10k+ no questions asked. Now? Everyone is buying out or trying to milk it.

Avalon6 is overpriced. Won't doubt it if the S7 lite price makes people think twice, too.

Their target market are people with established and profitable rigs looking to upgrade in bulk not people trying to buy one for fun or hobbyist who view this as a lottery attempt. You're better off taking your cash to the actual lottery unless you're shelling out at least 5k.

Your forgetting price of BTC during some of the purchases.  Like when I purchased my dragon at the time I felt i spent a ton on it.... but BTC was worth a good amount so it seemed fair.  But miners were not cheap during start of asics.

It was 3 month ROI on most GPU rigs... and that ended and time is now much much longer to ROI.

Also power has changed it's moving more twords what I call hobby mining.  It's getting more and more where you need a area for miners.  With them getting bigger, louder, and more powerful it's hard to slap one in a room anymore.

Things are changing.  I think hobby miners will do fine for foreseeable future, home miners wanting to put in a room they use going down in numbers.
SeventhWatcher

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 07:11:08 AM

Your forgetting price of BTC during some of the purchases.  Like when I purchased my dragon at the time I felt i spent a ton on it.... but BTC was worth a good amount so it seemed fair.  But miners were not cheap during start of asics.

It was 3 month ROI on most GPU rigs... and that ended and time is now much much longer to ROI.

Also power has changed it's moving more twords what I call hobby mining.  It's getting more and more where you need a area for miners.  With them getting bigger, louder, and more powerful it's hard to slap one in a room anymore.

Things are changing.  I think hobby miners will do fine for foreseeable future, home miners wanting to put in a room they use going down in numbers.

I would love to see how many people run under 500GH/s today and their actual return compared to the environmental impact.... errr... cost of electricity. As well as the effect on the network hash rate and difficulty. Plus with credit card companies and banks investing? People are banking for a spike they already missed lol

But I'm not an analyst.  I'm just watching and waiting.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 09:15:10 AM

People accept the 4month ROI

What 4 month RoI?

Nothing currently on the market will RoI at ALL unless (1) you have very cheap electric, OR (2) Bitcoin price keeps going up as fast or almost as fast as difficulty.

Given the economic woes in China, I'm actually starting to think (2) might happen for a while.....

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: