Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:06:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Announcement] Avalon ASIC Development Status [Batch #1]  (Read 155271 times)
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 03:43:30 AM

I'm bad at this. I'm also tired. I think I'll shut up now.  Wink

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 04:01:11 AM

No worries mate. I am beyond sleepy too. Wink

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
bitboyben

Activity: 330
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 03:20:21 AM

Any photos? website?

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
If you don't like the price of BTC come back in 8 hours.
BitSyncom (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 251

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 08:59:25 AM
Last edit: October 29, 2012, 10:29:06 AM by BitSyncom

update.

Shipping. We at Avalon understands the some what unreliableness of EMS in certain countries, to address this issue, all existing and future orders will be shipped out via DHL at no additional charge. This will ensure timely delivery of our products.

thorvald

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 10:17:07 AM

nice +1

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄██████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████▀  ███▄
████████████▀▀    ▀▀███▀  ▄█████
██████████▀         ██▀  ▄████████
█████████▀      ▄▄▄▄██▀  ▄██████████
████████     ▄██████▀  ▄██  ████████
████████     ███████▀  ▄██    ████████
████████    ██████▀  ▄████    ████████
████████    █████▀  ▄█████    ████████
████████    ███▀  ▄██████     ████████
████████  ███▀  ▄█████▀     ████████
███████████▀  ▄█▀▀▀▀      ▄█████████
█████████▀  ▄█         ▄██████████
██████▀  ▄██▄▄    ▄▄████████████
▀████  ▄█████████████████████▀
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀

██████            ██████          ▄▄██████          ▄▄███████▄▄                ▄▄███████▄▄
 ██████          ██████        ▄██████████       ▄███████████████▄          ▄███████████████▄
 ▀█████▄        ▄█████▀       ████████████      ███████████████████        ███████████████████
  ▀█████▄      ▄█████▀       ████████▀▀        ███████▀▀    ▀▀██████      ██████▀▀     ▀▀██████
   ██████      ██████       ███████           ██████▀       ▄██████      █████▀           ▀█████
   ▀█████▄    ▄█████▀      ███████           ██████       ▄██████▀      █████               █████
    ▀█████▄  ▄█████▀       ██████            █████      ▄██████▀        █████               █████
     ██████  ██████        ██████            █████    ▄██████▀          █████               █████
     ▀█████▄▄█████▀        ██████            █████▄ ▄██████▀            █████               █████
      ▀██████████▀         ██████             ███████████▀     ▄███▄     █████▄           ▄█████
       ██████████          ██████              ████████▀    ▄▄██████      ██████▄▄     ▄▄██████
       ▀████████▀          ██████               ███████████████████        ███████████████████
        ▀██████▀           ██████                ▀███████████████▀          ▀███████████████▀
         ▀████▀            ██████                   ▀▀███████▀▀                ▀▀███████▀▀

[
 ▄███████████████████████▄
██▀                     ▀██
██  ▄█████████████████▄  ██
██  ███             ███  ██
██  ▀████████████████▀   ██
██                       ██
██                  ▄▄▄  ██
██   ██             ███  ██
██ ██████       ▄▄▄      ██
██   ██         ███    ▄ ██
██        ▄  ▄       ▄▀ ▄██
██      ▄▀ ▄▀      ▄▀ ▄██▀
██▄               ▀ ▄██▀
 ▀███████████████████▀
Telegram
ANN Thread
Website
]
squid

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 12:57:43 PM

Can't believe I missed this thread. Glad to see more competition in the ASIC market!
Vicus

Activity: 798

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 02:16:32 PM

update.

Shipping. We at Avalon understands the some what unreliableness of EMS in certain countries, to address this issue, all existing and future orders will be shipped out via DHL at no additional charge. This will ensure timely delivery of our products.
For Russia DHL is absolutely unacceptable.
1. DHL doesn't deliver the goods to Russia for individuals. The exception is made for some online shops which have the direct contract relations with DHL.
2. For DHL of 30% duty is raised, if cost (including delivery cost) of the goods exceeds 200 euro/month. For EMS this threshold is 1000 euro/month (tax = 0.3 * (cost - threshold)).
3. Procedure of customs cleaning is more difficult for DHL and offen demands services of the customs broker. In case of EMS customs cleaning is strongly simplified.

I understand that EMS can deliver the goods not so quickly, but DHL this bigger evil for Russia.

Please take in account that info, when you will be shipping in Russia.
BitSyncom (OP)

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 04:02:11 PM

For Russia DHL is absolutely unacceptable.
1. DHL doesn't deliver the goods to Russia for individuals. The exception is made for some online shops which have the direct contract relations with DHL.
2. For DHL of 30% duty is raised, if cost (including delivery cost) of the goods exceeds 200 euro/month. For EMS this threshold is 1000 euro/month (tax = 0.3 * (cost - threshold)).
3. Procedure of customs cleaning is more difficult for DHL and offen demands services of the customs broker. In case of EMS customs cleaning is strongly simplified.

I understand that EMS can deliver the goods not so quickly, but DHL this bigger evil for Russia.

Please take in account that info, when you will be shipping in Russia.

Thank you for bring this to our attention, for now all orders are defaulted to DHL which has the fastest average shipping time to ensure timely delivery. We of course, will also listen to customers who wishes to use EMS instead due to various reasons, not to mention it is in fact cheaper for us to ship via EMS.

Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 06:51:37 PM

update.

Awesome!  That should save me a week off my delivery wait time, if not more.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Kuma

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 10:47:30 PM

Yep in some countries there can be different customs, as for courier services like DHL the price for shipping is added to the customs. EMS is taken as the post service and the shipping via post is deducted from the base for the customs.
The best way should be to add some switch to the shop to choose prefered shipping service.
ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2012, 11:37:45 PM

update.

one up for avalon +1. your competitors charge extra for DHL.

luffy

Activity: 607
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 08:49:03 AM

i prefer EMS in my country. i remember DHL to charge a high fee at customs.
Can we choose please?
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2012, 01:08:40 PM

EMS is my preference as well...

Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 04:20:49 PM

I've sent emails but gotten no responses, does anyone know what we're supposed to do if we presently own Icarus but still want to reserve ASICs? Thanks.
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 06:57:50 AM

yes I expect 150 TH to be shipped by the end of January.

I doubt it. BFL already admited being 2 months behind schedule in delivery the SC line (Oct -> Dec).
BitSyncom (OP)

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 11:29:50 PM

I've sent emails but gotten no responses, does anyone know what we're supposed to do if we presently own Icarus but still want to reserve ASICs? Thanks.

I've not gotten your email, be sure to send it to support@avalon-asic.com to ensure proper processing, or go on our support website http://support.avalon-asic.com directly to open a ticket in the future.

To answer your question, we will open the orders for trade-in customers later this month.

BitSyncom (OP)

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 10:00:03 PM

Can we choose please?

Yes, choice will be offered. I think the correct wording for this announcement is the added option to ship via DHL, but in addition DHL will be the default option selected, if you wish to use EMS, some actions will be required of the customer.

p.s.
Still recovering from Sandy, will provide more updates soon.

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4480
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 03:42:27 PM

Most pool can queried for 120 getworks at a time, noticeably the ecoinpool variant. With other new systems like Stratum with aims to solve any other potential problem and future proofing the network.

In addition, like I have previously stated, Avalon will be releasing our image.iso for the controller sometime in December this will include documentation on how our ASIC will communicate with mining softwares and pools. we will also be providing patches to opensource miners like CGminer.

With that said, we are aware of this bandwidth concern and do not deem it to be a problem at the moment.
Regarding cgminer ...

Well firstly, to use the correct term - we accept git pull requests - just like bitcoin Smiley

Secondly, cgminer already supports roll-ntime, vardiff shares and Stratum.
GBT is in development and already working. It will probably be in the next release.

Getwork with roll-ntime can still support over 500GH/s in cgminer per single getwork for 2 minutes.
Higher diff shares is dependent on the pool - all 3 protocols (Getwork, Stratum and GBT) allow it.
GBT currently requires more bandwidth than Getwork and will well beyond 500GH/s
Anyway, those are really pool issues, not miner issues (since cgminer already supports 2 and will support all 3 of them shortly)

From a hardware point of view (as I've mentioned before) as long as it doesn't require polling, first generation ASIC shouldn't present a problem.
At 60GH/s it will be returning ~14 shares a second which of course should be fine over Serial/USB.
10 such devices should easily be OK also.
Feel free to work out how many you can go with Serial on USB Smiley

As mentioned above, as long as the pool supports high difficulty shares, that wont be an issue since the pool should be targeting getting a share every few seconds (or less) with it's difficulty adjustment.

Icarus didn't have polling so I don't expect Avalon to have it either.
The only mandatory thing required for ASIC missing from Icarus was a completion message
Temperature reporting is really a must and clock control is definitely an advantage, if available, since people use their devices in many different conditions and catering to the worst is bad for those who have the best environments.

Thirdly, hardware is required for proper support.
If you are going to support all the cgminer requests regarding your changes then that covers one part of it, but if we start getting support requests regarding the software and have no hardware to run it on, then at least some of those support requests are just going to be sent to you.

Every time changes go into cgminer, if we have no hardware to test the changes we can of course not be sure of the effect of those changes on different hardware.
Rarely will it be an issue, but when it is an issue, if we have no hardware, the answer is: well that's unfortunate.

I am stating the obvious, but I thought I better say it here anyway.

Now as most people already know: both BFL and bASIC are sending devs (us and others) hardware to get it working in time for release
(BFL has also stated they are flying me to the USA and yochdog across the USA to see their manufacturing and report to the community)

You seem to want to do the software yourself, but just realise that you may also end up being the ones to support it if only you have the hardware ...

--

And aside to others ... regarding chip count, ngzhang said here 15~30 Smiley
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=110090.msg1198669#msg1198669

--

EMS has been excellent sending to me in Australia from central China, Hong Kong and the USA.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
BitSyncom (OP)

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 04:19:03 PM

BFL has also stated they are flying me to the USA and yochdog across the USA to see their manufacturing and report to the community
Oh? I didn't hear about this, when is this visit happening?

Well firstly, to use the correct term - we accept git pull requests - just like bitcoin
Now as most people already know: both BFL and bASIC are sending devs (us and others)  hardware to get it working in time for release
You seem to want to do the software yourself, but just realise that you may also end up being the ones to support it if only you have the hardware ...
1. cut me some slack, I'm used to SVN and said "patch". Regardless, git pull requests will be made as it was our original intention.
2. Is that what everyone else is doing? I'll make a thread soon for developers to request dev-units. can't be the odd one out now can we?
3. What gives you that impression? I'm a big fan of open source and as stated the whole openWRT image will be released and source code provided, if people want to run BFL/bASICs attached to Avalon devices they can do that too  Wink

Disregard, this information no longer apply. To provide a better explanation, we used a modular design so the number of chips on the Unit is not yet final, we are still playing around the numbers to get the best power consumption vs. hashrate.

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4480
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 05:08:43 PM

BFL has also stated they are flying me to the USA and yochdog across the USA to see their manufacturing and report to the community
Oh? I didn't hear about this, when is this visit happening?
Why does everyone ask that when they know I can't reply Cheesy

Well firstly, to use the correct term - we accept git pull requests - just like bitcoin
Now as most people already know: both BFL and bASIC are sending devs (us and others)  hardware to get it working in time for release
1. cut me some slack, I'm used to SVN and said "patch". Regardless, git pull requests will be made as it was our original intention.
2. Is that what everyone else is doing? I'll make a thread soon for developers to request dev-units. can't be the odd one out now can we?
3. What gives you that impression? I'm a big fan of open source and as stated the whole openWRT image will be released and source code provided, if people want to run BFL/bASICs attached to Avalon devices they can do that too  Wink
Simply that cgminer is open source so you are well able to fork it if required.
The comment about cgminer had been made long ago but neither of us have had contact from you about it so I just presumed you were wanting to support it yourself but thought I'd point out the obvious reasons for having devs with the hardware.

Disregard, this information no longer apply. To provide a better explanation, we used a modular design so the number of chips on the Unit is not yet final, we are still playing around the numbers to get the best power consumption vs. hashrate.
OK. When I was looking for the early comments I made in the Lancelot thread, I came across that and thought it might still be valid.
I now see the answer is "no" Smiley

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  

Jump to: